When your school releases your VSAS application late...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scruffy821

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sad warning to my fellow M3s applying for aways:

At my med school, we have to email our registrar's office every time we submit a VSAS application to ask them to release it. I applied for one of rotations the minute that VSAS opened and listed two dates for that elective -- emailed my school to ask them to release it, and received an email confirmation from them and VSAS. Forgot about it, and 2 weeks later, I happened to go check VSAS tracking and realized that they only released 1 of the 2 date options I had submitted. And the date they forgot to submit was my highly preferred choice. :(

This away rotation is in psychiatry, which luckily isn't super competitive or big on aways, but it happens to be at the most competitive program in the major city that I'm trying to match in. Each elective only allows for one visiting student. Is my application being 2 weeks after VSAS opening going to seriously mess with my chances to get that away with them? I just went back now and applied to two other psychiatry elective options with them, just in case that increases my chance of at least getting *something* with them...I'm so distressed. I can't believe this happened, I should have checked earlier.

Would appreciate any stories from people who got aways somewhere even if their application was sent in a couple weeks after VSAS for that opened.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sad warning to my fellow M3s applying for aways:

At my med school, we have to email our registrar's office every time we submit a VSAS application to ask them to release it. I applied for one of rotations the minute that VSAS opened and listed two dates for that elective -- emailed my school to ask them to release it, and received an email confirmation from them and VSAS. Forgot about it, and 2 weeks later, I happened to go check VSAS tracking and realized that they only released 1 of the 2 date options I had submitted. And the date they forgot to submit was my highly preferred choice. :(

This away rotation is in psychiatry, which luckily isn't super competitive or big on aways, but it happens to be at the most competitive program in the major city that I'm trying to match in. Each elective only allows for one visiting student. Is my application being 2 weeks after VSAS opening going to seriously mess with my chances to get that away with them? I just went back now and applied to two other psychiatry elective options with them, just in case that increases my chance of at least getting *something* with them...I'm so distressed. I can't believe my school did this! I should have checked earlier.

Would appreciate any stories from people who got aways somewhere even if their application was sent in a couple weeks after VSAS for that opened.
I've been there and it's frustrating. It's hard enough to get a Psychiatry rotation through VSAS since there are so few spots open but it's even harder when your school drops the ball.

Keep checking back periodically, though. Maybe some other student will give up his spot as the date approaches.

Ive dealt with it too. Then subsequent follow up emails are met with snarky replies. Youre not alone.