Where can I Apply Although Late with 2nd MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frostycarebear

Reaction score
Hey I am trying to decide where to apply for MD medical schools now that I am about to take the MCAT for the 2nd time. The first time I took it a weird situation occurred that got me totally out of sync. I felt like it wasn't the best thing to apply until after I found out my score and upon seeing it registered for the MCAT again. I know I am going to be a late applicant so I was wondering where I should apply with these credentials and still have a good chance of being accepted? I am also planning on applying to DO schools too!

GPA: 3.88
1st MCAT: 501
2nd MCAT: 510 (expected based on practice tests)

Extracurricular:
College cheerleader/mascot ~2200 hours

Leadership:
Assistant Director of a refugee soccer league
Cancer Kid Camp counselor
Head gymnastics coach
Religious missionary for 2 years in Peru
Vice-President of a college gymnastics club team
Various Religious positions

Medical/non-medical Service:
Weekly Spanish Interpreter at a free medical clinic 4 hrs/week
Weekly volunteer at a major hospital 2 hrs/week
Some Shadowing hours ~ 20
Self-created and delivered clothes donation for Peruvian children

Research:
Foot and Ankle Research lab assistant (1year)

Awards:
Outstanding student award in college
Multiple half and full tuition academic scholarships

I am not URM, and am a Utah resident
Medical School of most interest: University of Utah

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you don't mean that you're applying this year. Do not waste such a great application by applying this cycle. University of Utah will still be there next year. It's way too late to wait for a new MCAT.

Hey I am trying to decide where to apply for MD medical schools now that I am about to take the MCAT for the 2nd time. The first time I took it a weird situation occurred that got me totally out of sync. I felt like it wasn't the best thing to apply until after I found out my score and upon seeing it registered for the MCAT again. I know I am going to be a late applicant so I was wondering where I should apply with these credentials and still have a good chance of being accepted? I am also planning on applying to DO schools too!

Extracurricular:

Leadership:
Head gymnastics coach

Research:

Awards:

Reactions: 1 user
When is your retest? Most schools seem to set a final MCAT date of September 1 for the current cycle but you have to check on that yourself. What makes you think you’ll jump 10 points? Just wait and be ready to apply on day one next June. You’ll have time to do really well on your retake and have the best application possible ready to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
How I see it is I don’t lose anything if I apply for this cycle. I’m applying to both MD and DO schools. Sure some money could be wasted but there could be a chance of at least interviewing somewhere and gain needed experience if any about this process. I need to apply because I have already completed my undergraduate degree.

My new test date is September 19th, the last one AAMC offers for this cycle.

I have been so set upon retaking it that I had failed to realize individual medical schools could choose dates outside of approved AAMC test dates to accept/decline. There’s another lesson I can obviously learn from so thanks for that.

But even then, my Main Question remains. Where are good places you think I can apply either this cycle or next with my background?

Let us know when you get your new MCAT. (Around 10/19)). Always keep in mind that AMCAS encourages schools to average multiple MCAT scores. Some schools average and some font but all scores are visible to reviewers. Good Luck on the retake.

Extracurricular:

Leadership:
Head gymnastics coach

Research:

Awards:

I can't recommend applying this year, except to DO schools and U of U once you get your score. Applying with a 501 and no second score means you app will get weeded out at MD schools.

I looked at a bunch of schools earlier this morning and several of the schools within the 505 and 515 median MCAT scores say they will accept MCAT scores taken through September or at least on the last AAMC test date, which is the 19th. I understand that I won't get my score back for a while so I'll be applying blindly but what is the worst that can happen in the long run? If I don't get into a school this year, then I'll reapply next year but I won't have to take the MCAT again if it goes as well as 3 practice tests suggest it will. Reapplying happens to so many people so I'm not scared, but I think anyone would be selling themselves short if they didn't at least attempt to apply.

If you apply super late to a bunch of random schools and don't get in this year, you will be a reapplicant at all of those schools next year. Also if you do put in an application, then make sure you continue to add to your EC's this year because if you do have to reapply next year, you will have to show areas of improvement in your application.

Do not apply this year.
Who cares if you have your degree already?
Apply once. You do have plenty to lose and being a reapplicant isn’t a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user