This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

future_nostalgia

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I've been stalking these threads and I've posted a similar thread in the past, but as the 2018 - 2019 cycle approaches, I've been refining my list of schools but I wanted some more suggestions. I'm not sure if my list is too long/should be longer, because I'm worried about my GPA and possibly not having enough volunteer hours or shadowing experience. I'm not sure if I've done anything particularly exceptional so that's the only reason I'm airing on the more cautious side!

I'm a FL resident.

DAT: 26 AA/23 BIO/25 GC/ 26 OC/ 25 QR/ 29 RC/ 22 PAT/ 24 TS

GPA: 3.50 oGPA, 3.40 BCPM; I attend a top 10 school so it was a bit of a struggle to do well in the science courses, especially the introductory level courses. I'm also a Biochemistry major, which is known for being the most rigorous science major at my school.

Volunteer Hours: 200 hours total -- mostly involved tutored local high school students, also helped with community events involving music.

Shadowing: 250 hours -- 100 hours abroad, 100 hours with my general dentist, and 50 hours shadowing an orthodontist.

I'm not sure research experience is as important, but I've been working on an independent project for the past year.

List of Schools so far:
UF
NYU
Columbia
Penn
UMD
Rutgers
Harvard
UCONN
UMich
Louisville
UCSF
Temple
Boston U
UCLA
Tufts

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bumping this bc my list has changed a bit and I wanted some more input!

here it is:
UF
Columbia
Penn
UMD
Rutgers
Harvard
UConn
Louisville
UCSF
Boston U
UCLA

I took out some schools but should I make any additions?
 
I am in a very similar situation and am thinking about applying to similar schools. My GPA is really starting to worry me, but this made me feel a bit better.
 
I don’t think Harvard has ever taken someone with a 3.5o/3.4s GPA but i guess it’s worth a shot if you have the money
 
I don’t think Harvard has ever taken someone with a 3.5o/3.4s GPA but i guess it’s worth a shot if you have the money

I figured with my DAT it would be worth it. My undergrad is also extremely competitive and I know people from my school that have gotten in with similar stats so I didn't think it would be pointless to apply.