Where should I apply to? Would love advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I posted this in the "chance me" thread, but I figured I could post it in my own little post and get advice from everyone on where I should apply. So far I am committed to applying to these schools:

UIC (number 1 being from Illinois)
Marquette
Minnesota
Iowa
SIU
Creighton
Michigan (Is this a reach..?)

Thanks! My stats are below 😀

Age: 23
Overall gpa: 3.84
science gpa: 3.89
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.88
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT
21/20/19/20/21/23/24/24
extracirriculars:
NCAA Hockey Player and have committed roughly 3000 hours of my college career to it, Organic Chemistry Tutor, employee at orthodontic office where I assist in taking apart patients and putting mods on, as well as working in the ortho lab pouring molds, 85 volunteer hours, member of 2 honors society's (Beta Beta Beta & Delta Epsilon Sigma), and am president of Beta Beta Beta, skills instructor for youth hockey players ages 3+
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): Shadowed a variety of different practices for 125+ hours, (ortho, surgery, general, perio, labs, endo)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3 from my general dentist who went to UCLA and taught there for some time after, and 2 of my professors, one of which attended the University of Chicago to receive her Ph. D in Organic Chemistry
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: ASAP (Before September hits realistically)
professional goals: Specialize in some sort of field. Hoping to find that passion in dental school
state of residence: IL
misc info you think is important: Named on the All-Academic team in 2015-2016 for the conference my team participates in, named to Dean's List 5/6 semesters for having a minimum of a 3.6 GPA, research experience, such as organizing a three step synthesis and studying the effects of atrazine on mice, will be researching the efficiencies of mechanical and manual toothbrushes for my senior thesis, will be taking a ceramics class this fall as well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the feedback! I'm also curious, but is applying late August to schools considered "late"? I wanted to focus on studying for my DAT before putting my full effort into the application process. Would love to hear your thoughts!