Where should I apply to? Would love advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I posted this in the "chance me" thread, but I figured I could post it in my own little post and get advice from everyone on where I should apply. So far I am committed to applying to these schools:

UIC (number 1 being from Illinois)
Marquette
Minnesota
Iowa
SIU
Creighton
Michigan (Is this a reach..?)

Thanks! My stats are below :D

Overall gpa: 3.84
science gpa: 3.89
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.88
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT
21/20/19/20/21/23/24/24
extracirriculars:
NCAA Hockey Player and have committed roughly 3000 hours of my college career to it, Organic Chemistry Tutor, employee at orthodontic office where I assist in taking apart patients and putting mods on, as well as working in the ortho lab pouring molds, 85 volunteer hours, member of 2 honors society's (Beta Beta Beta & Delta Epsilon Sigma), and am president of Beta Beta Beta, skills instructor for youth hockey players ages 3+
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): Shadowed a variety of different practices for 125+ hours, (ortho, surgery, general, perio, labs, endo)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3 from my general dentist who went to UCLA and taught there for some time after, and 2 of my professors, one of which attended the University of Chicago to receive her Ph. D in Organic Chemistry
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: ASAP (Before September hits realistically)
professional goals: Specialize in some sort of field. Hoping to find that passion in dental school
state of residence: IL
misc info you think is important: Named on the All-Academic team in 2015-2016 for the conference my team participates in, named to Dean's List 5/6 semesters for having a minimum of a 3.6 GPA, research experience, such as organizing a three step synthesis and studying the effects of atrazine on mice, will be researching the efficiencies of mechanical and manual toothbrushes for my senior thesis, will be taking a ceramics class this fall as well

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are a few cheap Illinois state schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! I'm also curious, but is applying late August to schools considered "late"? I wanted to focus on studying for my DAT before putting my full effort into the application process. Would love to hear your thoughts!