This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Hey guys so I am a non-traditional applicant. Im halfway through my Masters and I am 26 this year. I took 2 years off college because I got really sick, but modern medicine is a miracle and Im all better. The thing is, those two years I have a ton of withdrawns from my school and it took 7 years to complete my degree if you count that two year break. 5 years of full time courses and 2 years with WDN everywhere. So Im worried if I chose a school and they dont really take non-trads. Help me cut down my school list please. Also, Im Canadian applying to america this summer.

Stats: My undergrad GPA was 3.90, grad GPA is 4.0 and BCP is 3.86. I dont remember my DAT scores, even though they were recent. But it was 21 AA and everything was between 20 to 22. I have 50ish hours of shadow but it should be over 100 by June. I have hundred of hours of volunteer. I volunteered in medical clinics, have research masters, tutored ESL, worked as a TA. Nothing too outstanding but I wasnt a hermit.

School list:
1) U Pittsburg
2) Maurice H Kornberg
3) Rutgers
4) Case Western
5) Buffalo
7) Loma Linda
8) U Minnesota
9) U pennsylvania
10) Pacific
11) Herman Ostrow
12) NYU
13) Creighton
14) Meharry Medical
15) U Maryland
16) U Nebraska
17) Columbia U
18) Tufts
19) U Indiana
20) Virginia Commonwealth
21) Roseman U
22) U Texas Health Sci
23) Texas A&M
24) Conneticut
26) U Louisville

Im hoping to cut down 10+ schools from this list. But Im not too sure which. Any advice based on my background as a Canadian and non-trad would help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get rid of:
- Texas A&M (hard OOS)
- U Texas Health Sci (hard OOS)
- Meharry (unless you're black)
- Brighton (what is this?)

Unless you come from a lot of $$$ and paying for school won't be an issue, get rid of:
- NYU
- Roseman
- USC
- Pacific
- Loma Linda
- Minnesota

You've got a pretty large list there. I'd recommend purchasing ADEA's guide to dental school book, do some research on the schools, and pick the 10-12 you'd most like to have a chance at attending. Also, I'd consider adding UNLV.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think he means Creighton.

Also, since you're an international student, I wouldn't get rid of NYU just yet... that may or may not be your one school that even accepts international students. I would definitely get rid of the TX schools and Nebraska since they're public schools so they may not be so willing to accept international students.

I would also add UDM since I heard they're a little friendlier to Canadians.

Last edited:
Get rid of:
- Texas A&M (hard OOS)
- U Texas Health Sci (hard OOS)
- Meharry (unless you're black)
- Brighton (what is this?)

Unless you come from a lot of $$$ and paying for school won't be an issue, get rid of:
- NYU
- Roseman
- USC
- Pacific
- Loma Linda
- Minnesota

You've got a pretty large list there. I'd recommend purchasing ADEA's guide to dental school book, do some research on the schools, and pick the 10-12 you'd most like to have a chance at attending. Also, I'd consider adding UNLV.

Good luck

I did buy the guide and cut it down to those. Money's not a huge issue so I'll think about those 6 schools.
I didnt know Meharry was predominantly black though.

Even this is a big list, but I would stick to:
1) Pitt
2) Temple
3) Rutgers
4) Case Western
5) Buffalo
9) Penn
13) Creighton
15) Maryland
17) Columbia
18) Tufts
24) UConn
26) Louisville

Even this is a big list, but I would stick to:
1) Pitt
2) Temple
3) Rutgers
4) Case Western
5) Buffalo
9) Penn
13) Creighton
15) Maryland
17) Columbia
18) Tufts
24) UConn
26) Louisville

Thanks! What were the criteria you used to choose those schools?

Thanks! What were the criteria you used to choose those schools?
Mainly cost. I personally would not apply to many $400-450K schools if I were you. Your stats are competitive to get you into many "cheap" places. However, I would still broaden your app by throwing in a couple expensive schools.