Where to apply (Texas Resident)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEpicFruitCake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm at a loss of where to apply. I'm a Texas resident so I will definitely be looking to apply to the three in-state dental schools, but I'm not sure where else to look. I feel that my GPA might not be good enough to be accepted in Texas and it's worrying me. The average sGPA's from the last matriculation class in Texas was around 3.55.

So far I'm looking at:
UT Houston (Texas)
Baylor Dental (Texas)
UTHSCSA (Texas)
Tufts
Boston
NYU
Howard?
Temple

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you convert the minuses to letter grade yet? Also, are you well rounded in terms of volunteer and leadership positions?

If your GPA is close to the GPA of the matriculating class then you are good... more than good in fact because of your DAT. Not much to say except to apply to schools that accepts oos (read the sticky).

Members don't see this ad :)
My EC's consist of a lot of volunteering at local elementary schools (100+ hours). I really enjoy teaching so I'm quite involved in that and am also going to be receiving my teaching license in the following year. Unfortunately I don't really have too many leadership opportunities to speak of besides working in some after school science programs for kids where I would practically run the classroom. I have worked around 15 hours/week my entire college career so far as well and have been promoted to what I guess you can consider a "team leader" or shift leader for the waiters at the restaurant I work. Would this be considered in my app as leadership? I'm in a fraternity (social) where I'm the academic chair but I am hesitant to put that.

Roseman, Western, UNLV (you can get residency after 1 year), USC, and UOP are some of the western schools I would consider. As I'm sure you know, expensive private schools have historically been easier to get in to.

Roseman, Western, UNLV (you can get residency after 1 year), USC, and UOP are some of the western schools I would consider. As I'm sure you know, expensive private schools have historically been easier to get in to.
Excluding UOP as "easier to get into" although OP's stats are great. You'll be fine

My EC's consist of a lot of volunteering at local elementary schools (100+ hours). I really enjoy teaching so I'm quite involved in that and am also going to be receiving my teaching license in the following year. Unfortunately I don't really have too many leadership opportunities to speak of besides working in some after school science programs for kids where I would practically run the classroom. I have worked around 15 hours/week my entire college career so far as well and have been promoted to what I guess you can consider a "team leader" or shift leader for the waiters at the restaurant I work. Would this be considered in my app as leadership? I'm in a fraternity (social) where I'm the academic chair but I am hesitant to put that.

I would include that you are involved with your fraternity as the academic chair as well the fact that you were a team leader at work. I think it really can show that you possess leadership qualities...
Though it might not seem like a large leadership accomplishment, the committees might think differently. Don't forget, on your TMDSAS different entries can be placed in multiple sections.