This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedstudent_23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted an opinion about:
What/how to improve my medical school application
What schools I should be looking into for allopathic MD degree not too far from the the NY/NJ area
If MD/MBA joint degrees is something I should be looking into or do I not really stand a chance ?

Currently: Junior at CUNY Brooklyn College
Major: Business Administration with a Health Professions Concentration
Taken: Biology 1 & 2 with labs, Chemistry 1 & 2 with labs, Orgo 1 & 2 with labs, Physics 1 & 2 with labs, Microbiology, Botany, and Bio research classes
GPA: 3.41
Science GPA: 3.1
Shadowed a general surgeon for one summer, has research experience for 2 years, good extracurriculars on campus (student government, medical clubs), has been volunteering with a local non-profit for 5 years.
Not taken MCAT yet

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to WAMC

Please read stickies before posting.

Also we really can't advise you about where to apply without an MCAT. With regards to what to improve, obviously your GPA if possible. Do you have any clinical experience where you are somehow involved in patient care?

I volunteered a lot in high school and did a medical service trip to Panama and Nicaragua.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered a lot in high school and did a medical service trip to Panama and Nicaragua.
What you did in high school pretty much doesn't count...unless you continued the activity through college. Your volunteer trips abroad may be viewed as voluntourism by many adcoms.

You absolutely need to get that science GPA up a few points. And you need to have some clinical volunteering.

I agree with both of the above minds. In order to get into MD school that science GPA is going to have to work its way up a little bit. If you can get it into the 3.3-3.4 range you have a much better shot. Seems like you have the volunteering and research down pretty well so congrats on that. For shadowing I would recommend trying to get a few more hours in different specialities. Having one point of view on medicine is helpful, but having many is tremendous. But you need more clinical exposure, whether it be volunteering in areas of medicine that you can get into (hospitals, hospice, health fair's, etc) or if you can snag a job in which you are around or of service to patients. (CNA, scribe, medical assistant, the list goes on) Something that can allow you to see the life, see the good and the bad and understand what you are getting yourself into.

I can already tell you that unless you get a 520+ that your best bet is going to be DO schools.

No

If MD/MBA joint degrees is something I should be looking into or do I not really stand a chance ?

Your sGPA is lethal for MD schools and circling the drain or DO schools. So, start list with LECOM, PCOM, UNECOM and NYITCOM and Touro-NY

If I bring my science gpa up to 3.3/3.4 would that help? @Goro Circling the drain (you assume it's going to go down)? Your suggestion is to not apply to any MD schools at all?? Is there anything else I could do to bring it up? Do you recommend any other classes I can look into that I haven't already taken?

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate all the help!! :D

For MD schools to be in the picture you need to ace a post-bac or SMP (3.7+ GPA) AND ace MCAT (513+).

"Circling the drain" mean "on life support".
Capeesh?

If I bring my science gpa up to 3.3/3.4 would that help? @Goro Circling the drain (you assume it's going to go down)? Your suggestion is to not apply to any MD schools at all?? Is there anything else I could do to bring it up? Do you recommend any other classes I can look into that I haven't already taken?

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate all the help!! :D

You know it's one thing to be practical about getting into medical school with the grades and MCAT that you have, but it's another thing to aim low. I understand the need for a realistic view of where I stand and where I fit in relation to other schools, but as someone who is seeking advice and help, I think you are ultimately rude and discouraging. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know when I get into medical school.

You know it's one thing to be practical about getting into medical school with the grades and MCAT that you have, but it's another thing to aim low. I understand the need for a realistic view of where I stand and where I fit in relation to other schools, but as someone who is seeking advice and help, I think you are ultimately rude and discouraging. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know when I get into medical school.

Lol

As of right now you have 0 chance at MD school and an outside chance at DO. You got advice and didn't want to listen, that doesn't make it bad advice.

I don't think anyone who has given advice above was being rude or discouraging; they were being realistic. I applied this cycle with a 3.6 overall GPA, 3.5 science GPA, a 507 on the MCAT, ECs/research/shadowing hours out the wazoo and my only interview/acceptance thus far has been DO. While I agree one should never "aim low," the previous suggestions were far from that. Even the strongest of applicants need to apply far and wide for a good shot at getting into any school.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone who has given advice above was being rude or discouraging; they were being realistic. I applied this cycle with a 3.6 overall GPA, 3.5 science GPA, a 507 on the MCAT, ECs/research/shadowing hours out the wazoo and my only interview/acceptance thus far has been DO. While I agree one should never "aim low," the previous suggestions were far from that. Even the strongest of applicants need to apply far and wide for a good shot at getting into any school.
Exactly! And with that 3.1 science GPA, OP is not going anywhere.

OP, you need absolutely to get that science GPA up, and you need to get some clinical volunteering. With your currents stats, your chances are almost zero. What is the non-profit? Some may be of benefit to you, some may not. And, are you UiM? If so, that might help you with some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
My reply was in reference to @Goro's little snide comment and assumption that my gpa is going to go down. Other replies have been helpful, and I thank you guys for them. I understand that I do have to get my science gpa up yes. Do you guys know any recommended classes other than the ones I have taken? I was looking into Immunology, Zoology, Anatomy and Physiology- would there be any others that medical schools really look for?

The non profit works with different community service projects relating to self-esteem, anti-bullying, leadership, goal setting, and mentorship. I'm not sure what UiM means? Sorry!

Jeeze, I wasn't referring to your GPA, but your chances at med school, given your current GPAs.

Take coursework that mi micks medical school. To your list, add pathology, biostats, genetics, cell bio, med micro, neuroscience, and/or histology.

Under-Represented in Medicine (UIM) Definition. ... "Underrepresented in medicine' means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Medicine/faculty-staff/diversity/uim_definition.html

My reply was in reference to @Goro's little snide comment and assumption that my gpa is going to go down. Other replies have been helpful, and I thank you guys for them. I understand that I do have to get my science gpa up yes. Do you guys know any recommended classes other than the ones I have taken? I was looking into Immunology, Zoology, Anatomy and Physiology- would there be any others that medical schools really look for?

The non profit works with different community service projects relating to self-esteem, anti-bullying, leadership, goal setting, and mentorship. I'm not sure what UiM means? Sorry!