This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_crentist

Reaction score
I applied only to Iowa this past cycle and got an interview, but was denied - I was wondering what is necessary for my application to be competitive at the schools I listed when I apply next cycle.

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.15
DAT score: AA: 19, BIO: 18, GC: 18, OC: 18 QR: 20, RC: 19, PAT: 21
State of Residence: Iowa

Major: Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 150 hrs - general dentist and oral surgeons
Volunteering Experience: 300+ hrs - dental volunteering, special olympics, college events, etc.
Employment: Worked as dental assistant for one summer, worked in oral surgery office for two summers
Other Extracurriculars: Involved in multiple clubs on campus and I am a leader in each of them
School list:
- University of New England College of Dental Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
- A.T. Still University Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
- University of Iowa College of Dentistry
- Creighton University School of Dentistry

I am struggling to decide whether or not to retake the DAT to prove myself academically - it would be difficult to do so with my course load this semester and I want to be able to send in my application in early June, but I would appreciate honest feedback.

If you think I would have a better chance at a different school with these stats, feel free to recommend something.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied only to Iowa this past cycle and got an interview, but was denied - I was wondering what is necessary for my application to be competitive at the schools I listed when I apply next cycle.

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.15
DAT score: AA: 19, BIO: 18, GC: 18, OC: 18 QR: 20, RC: 19, PAT: 21
State of Residence: Iowa

Major: Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 150 hrs - general dentist and oral surgeons
Volunteering Experience: 300+ hrs - dental volunteering, special olympics, college events, etc.
Employment: Worked as dental assistant for one summer, worked in oral surgery office for two summers
Other Extracurriculars: Involved in multiple clubs on campus and I am a leader in each of them
School list:
- University of New England College of Dental Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
- A.T. Still University Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
- University of Iowa College of Dentistry
- Creighton University School of Dentistry

I am struggling to decide whether or not to retake the DAT to prove myself academically - it would be difficult to do so with my course load this semester and I want to be able to send in my application in early June, but I would appreciate honest feedback.

If you think I would have a better chance at a different school with these stats, feel free to recommend something.
I believe your mistake was applying to one school. It’s good that you’re expanding the list more, but with your GPA and DAT, I would suggest applying to around 10-15 schools or more. As far as your list goes, it looks good, but I would add Indiana, Kentucky, and Louisville since they are pretty OOS-friendly. I also think UNLV would be a good choice if you want to stay on that side of the country. Maybe add additional private schools, as they are a little more lenient on the stats.

Only retake to DAT if you feel pretty confident that you could do significantly better. Doing worse or about the same will not help you. Continue to take classes and boost the GPA for sure.

Work hard, and you’ll be good!

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously do well on your classes this semester. You could look into retaking a few classes this summer if you have a few bad grades or Post-Bacc/Master's program for next year to improve GPA. A higher DAT always looks good but it's up to you. My stats are very similar to yours and I was accepted at Creighton and had a few other interviews. If I was you I would email Iowa and ask them what you can do to improve your application and maybe add MOSDOH to your school list.

Reactions: 1 users
I would retake your DAT as I think that would require less time to see change, and I would definitely bump your list up to 10 to 12 schools, but this would probably only be after you retake, so you can see what schools you can add or remove.

Really try to do well this semester so you can boost your GPAs! Nothing lower than a B+ in any class (B = 3.0, B+= 3.3).

Also just remember that if you had to retake any classes, both grades will count in your GPA, not the higher one.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user