Where to Live at PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gastrdctr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to PCOM-Pa and would like to know where most students live. I hear Manni Yonk is a great place.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where most pcom students live, but manayunk is a cool place. It is a mix of students and young professionals. One of the older areas of philly so the roads are ridiculously narrow. You can park illegally and never worry about getting towed...only problem is that you have to have a parking spot first. (You'll see plenty of people on sidewalks.) It is right next to a train station as well...which can make life much easier. I have a few friends that live there, as about 3/4ths of my uni goes to philly. It is a short walk away from a ton of bars (kind of yuppy-ish, but fun), and just about anything else you need is a short ride, aka wawa's, movie theatre, restaurants. I can't testify about the cost....but if it is supporting kids in their first job it can't be THAT bad. There are a few philly natives that will give better advice...but if nobody replies I will ask my friends. I'm sure they will have some sound advice.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have u checked on Nucleus or with student affairs? I live in Presidential City with alot of other 1st yrs and some 2nd yrs. Primarily b/c its close but there are alot of better places.

I'm looking for an area to be close to other 1st year students. Presidential is close but Manayunk sounds attractive. Does anyone know of anything available?

Use craigslist to find things in manyunk. There are a few apartment complexes in manyunk but most of the area consists of converted homes. Which have their own charm and can provide some really good deals. There really isn't a place that isn't close to other first years. Manyunk, Lower Merion, and Philadelphia living areas arre within 10 minutes of each other. If you have the time, you should look around because there are some really good deals.

Have u checked on Nucleus or with student affairs? I live in Presidential City with alot of other 1st yrs and some 2nd yrs. Primarily b/c its close but there are alot of better places.

if I were to go to the dark side and rent from presidential, should i be greatly worried about street noise? do you live in jefferson house? is the classic one br too small... ie does it suck to ahve the kitchen combined with the living room? AND does a higher room mean that its really friggin hot int he winter? I was looking at two rooms... one higher up but the 850/mo dollar "executive 1-br" or one in the middle but the "classic 1-br" for 795/mo.

leaning toward the cheaper, obviously.

Thanks ;)

Hey! I am going to be a first year...congrats on getting in!!! I am trying to look for housing too...are you looking for a roommate or know anyone who is. I really want a roommate that is a first year so we can go through the first year trauma together...haha! I am kind of clueless right now too on where is good to live!!!!

I'm looking for an area to be close to other 1st year students. Presidential is close but Manayunk sounds attractive. Does anyone know of anything available?

I'm looking for a 1bedroom. I think it's hard to live with a roomy first year-study patterns can be different and lead to problems. Good luck though!

CENTER CITY!!! Come join me down here, its awesome....living here for 4 years and you can't drag me away :)

-Short drive from City Ave (we'd be driving at low traffic times of day),
-nice parks to sit in and study,
-tons of Starbucks to load up on,
-walk around the block for a study break,
-when you are up studying its guarenteed that someone else in the city is awake with you,
-you can study at Jefferson's library since its enormous and comfy,
-bar and restaurants- hello,
-all the PCOMers will want to stay over since they will be downtown at every spare moment, and will be so jealous of your location
-shadow docs at Penn, Jefferson, Drexel,
-apartments with character

Seriously consider it!

CENTER CITY!!! Come join me down here, its awesome....living here for 4 years and you can't drag me away :)

-Short drive from City Ave (we'd be driving at low traffic times of day),
-nice parks to sit in and study,
-tons of Starbucks to load up on,
-walk around the block for a study break,
-when you are up studying its guarenteed that someone else in the city is awake with you,
-you can study at Jefferson's library since its enormous and comfy,
-bar and restaurants- hello,
-all the PCOMers will want to stay over since they will be downtown at every spare moment, and will be so jealous of your location
-shadow docs at Penn, Jefferson, Drexel,
-apartments with character

Seriously consider it!
Some of that does sound good in theory....but have you ever driven to PCOM during normal driving hours (ie anytime except noon and after like 8pm)....its not fun...I have several friends who moved closer to school after 1st year.....but to each his/her own..I hope it works out

I have a husband who works two jobs down here so for his sake its a lot easier and doesn't "shelter" him as much as living closer to PCOM. He has some weird and deep rooted thing against Manayunk...I'm still getting to the bottom of that one.

I have a husband who works two jobs down here so for his sake its a lot easier and doesn't "shelter" him as much as living closer to PCOM. He has some weird and deep rooted thing against Manayunk...I'm still getting to the bottom of that one.
That makes sense....but you'll have to get used to it when many of your classmates just want to go out in Manayunk b/c its more convenient for an avg night out (weekends after big tests are usually a different story)....then again my advice is coming from a guy who grew up in the suburbs and still drives to school even though I live around the block...ha

Members don't see this ad :)
if I were to go to the dark side and rent from presidential, should i be greatly worried about street noise? do you live in jefferson house? is the classic one br too small... ie does it suck to ahve the kitchen combined with the living room? AND does a higher room mean that its really friggin hot int he winter? I was looking at two rooms... one higher up but the 850/mo dollar "executive 1-br" or one in the middle but the "classic 1-br" for 795/mo.

leaning toward the cheaper, obviously.

Thanks ;)
The apts can vary somewhat in size, but I believe the one bedrooms are decent in size. It is extremely hot in the winter. Think beach wear! On several occasions I had to turn on my air conditioning even after opening all the windows in the apt. I live in a 2 bedroom and it is spacious enough. I haven't seen an executive 1-br.
I know that you already have your mind 99% made up. Yes I live in Jefferson, If you live in Jeff then try and get a lower floor first b/c it's tough climbing over 8 stories when the elevators are all out. The bldg and area are very quiet and that is a big positives. :thumbup: (Except last night when they were jackhammering at midnight in front of Jefferson and Washington for some reason, I think to access underground utilities).:mad:

You might consider looking into the Green Briar apartment complex. I don't personally live there, but I've been to friends' apartments, and it's not bad. It's located less than a mile from PCOM and on a considerably quieter street than City Ave. Many PCOMers live there.

The apts can vary somewhat in size, but I believe the one bedrooms are decent in size. It is extremely hot in the winter. Think beach wear! On several occasions I had to turn on my air conditioning even after opening all the windows in the apt. I live in a 2 bedroom and it is spacious enough. I haven't seen an executive 1-br.
I know that you already have your mind 99% made up. Yes I live in Jefferson, If you live in Jeff then try and get a lower floor first b/c it's tough climbing over 8 stories when the elevators are all out. The bldg and area are very quiet and that is a big positives. :thumbup: (Except last night when they were jackhammering at midnight in front of Jefferson and Washington for some reason, I think to access underground utilities).:mad:

Are you moving next year...? They have me set up for 519 Jeff, which faces the big parking lot... is there usually plenty of parking there? My plan is just to leave the car sit for the most part bc it's walking distance to PCOM.

Are you moving next year...? They have me set up for 519 Jeff, which faces the big parking lot... is there usually plenty of parking there? My plan is just to leave the car sit for the most part bc it's walking distance to PCOM.

I am moving out of Jefferson next year possibly into Madison b/c the pros outweight the cons there. Parking is another problem, do stay out late and you should be able to find parking. If you come in late you'll probably end up walking a mile and a half back to Jeff bldg after waiting forever for a space. I ended up blocked in once b/c ppl parked illegally and blocked the parking lot so you couldn't exit (security had to start towing cars). Most PCOMers move out after the 1st year there, but there are a few ppl who start for the long haul.

Just as a heads-up about Manayunk or however you spell it. I have lived in the burbs of Philly and in Center City for the past 6 years. (Went to college here and did a post-bacc here). I would not live in Manayunk if you have a car. I have been there a lot of times, it is a great young person/social crowd with a lot of great bars. However, it is the worst parking situation alive. There is never anywhere to park in that township and when it snows you might as well park and Center City and walk back to your house.

I for one would never live there just because of the parking, and it tends to be a bit louder, do to college kids and bars all over the place.

I am going to look at Beekman soon, its only about two blocks from PCOM campus and have seen people write good things about it. If you have more questions you can PM me, I live in Narberth right now, which is about 10min drive from PCOM if you take the back roads and I can check places out for anyone.

It seems like most people live in apartments, am I right? I really need to have a yard because I have 2 black labs. What areas are good for finding big places with yards?

It seems like most people live in apartments, am I right? I really need to have a yard because I have 2 black labs. What areas are good for finding big places with yards?

manyunk has some places that will give you access to a yard, not a big one but a yard. there are dog parks too. You really wont fiind a place with a yard close by to the school. Maybe some places in chonshohocken.

Just as a heads-up about Manayunk or however you spell it. I have lived in the burbs of Philly and in Center City for the past 6 years. (Went to college here and did a post-bacc here). I would not live in Manayunk if you have a car. I have been there a lot of times, it is a great young person/social crowd with a lot of great bars. However, it is the worst parking situation alive. There is never anywhere to park in that township and when it snows you might as well park and Center City and walk back to your house.

I for one would never live there just because of the parking, and it tends to be a bit louder, do to college kids and bars all over the place.

I am going to look at Beekman soon, its only about two blocks from PCOM campus and have seen people write good things about it. If you have more questions you can PM me, I live in Narberth right now, which is about 10min drive from PCOM if you take the back roads and I can check places out for anyone.

I'm looking to move within a few months. How's the Narberth area. I'm also looking for a yard (for the dogs) and have a lot of art, music, rubbish. So, I'm either looking for a house to buy or rent. Any ideas?

I've decided to live in bella vista. It seems like an awesome area. It'll be good for the dogs as well since there are so many parks around to walk them in. If anyone is interested in maybe looking for a place together let me know. We can meet and see how that'll go.

Im sure that there are some of you looking for pet friendly housing near PCOM, so I thought I would put this out there. I have lived in Empirian Luxury Towers for a while now and I have no complaints. In my opinion, it is nicer than any of the pet-friendly places that I checked out near campus. It is on Lincoln Drive, about 3.5 miles from campus. My commute is usually about 5-10 minutes. It has gated and has a 24 hour security door man, pool, tennis court, and on site deli, barber shop, beauty salon, dentist, and day care. More importantly, it is very quiet! I have a pretty large 1 bedroom for 699/mo. There are studios available for about 550. Free parking is available, but you can also reserve spots for 35 a month. I know that when I was doing the apartment search, I had a really hard time finding a safe place that I liked that would also welcome my dog. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. They usually offer incentives if you apply on your first visit, so it may be helpful to see the place before meeting with the leasing office.

What do people think of Imperial Towers? I saw it on the web and it looks attractive. Any PCOM students living there?

I'm looking to move within a few months. How's the Narberth area. I'm also looking for a yard (for the dogs) and have a lot of art, music, rubbish. So, I'm either looking for a house to buy or rent. Any ideas?

Narberth is a great area, but with it comes pretty high prices. Definitely look here, as there are quite a few places with nice yards and it is a peaceful/beautiful community. Other places of interest to you would be any of the suburbs around Narberth - Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haveford, Bryn Mawr. All very nice areas although you may be driving a little while to get to PCOM from Ardmore, Haveford, Bryn Mawr (maybe 15 to 20 mins is all and no real traffic if you take backroads).

Any other questions you have I will be happy to help but that is the general overview for now.

Hey everyone :)

I'm going to be living in Wynnewood this fall, and I've done a good amount of research on Wynnewood/Narberth/Ardmore/Bryn Mawr/other areas off of Rt. 30(Lancaster Ave.).

If anyone has any questions about the area, I'd be happy to try and help out. Since I haven't actually lived there yet, I can really only give you specs on different apartments in the area and how far they are from PCOM.

PM me if you'd like :thumbup:

getting this thread started again. looking for places to live at PCOM! I just got accepted and sent in my deposit for 2012. I would like to be near other first years, and in a safe area. Any suggestions??

I'm applying to PCOM right now and in the case that I get in and decide on going here, I'm gonna try and stay in University City near the USP campus on 42nd street where i currently live. The rent is 300 monthly and its a pretty decent place. I was wondering whether this would be too far from PCOM, I drive on 76 to work everyday around 9am and the traffic isnt too bad. Im figuring 15-20 mins to PCOM. What do you guys think?

getting this thread started again. looking for places to live at PCOM! I just got accepted and sent in my deposit for 2012. I would like to be near other first years, and in a safe area. Any suggestions??

You have awhile to consider this obviously. A bunch of people from my class live in greenbriar, although I do not always consider it the best place to live. I think it just really depends on your class and such, if your most important factor is living where others do then just make threads in your nucleus class group. Most of the apartments around campus house a good number of pcom students so anywhere you live there will at least be 10-20 of your classmates usually.

On a sidenote I live in beekman, love it and there are at least 15 people here in my class. Although this is a hard place to live at so you have to look early and often.

I'm applying to PCOM right now and in the case that I get in and decide on going here, I'm gonna try and stay in University City near the USP campus on 42nd street where i currently live. The rent is 300 monthly and its a pretty decent place. I was wondering whether this would be too far from PCOM, I drive on 76 to work everyday around 9am and the traffic isnt too bad. Im figuring 15-20 mins to PCOM. What do you guys think?

Classes for first years almost always start at 8am, at least for all of SPOM(anatomy) they have. This would mean you would have to leave earlier, and probably be in more rush hour traffic, which means it would take longer and you would have to leave a significant amount earlier probably. Perhaps you could figure out a back way, say taking maybe lancaster to cityline or even more backroads like belmont all the way up might be worht a try.

If I were you I would just try and get few days to test the routes out if you can make time. There would be nothing worse than having to leave around 7 to get at school on time or something, at least in my book.

Classes for first years almost always start at 8am, at least for all of SPOM(anatomy) they have. This would mean you would have to leave earlier, and probably be in more rush hour traffic, which means it would take longer and you would have to leave a significant amount earlier probably. Perhaps you could figure out a back way, say taking maybe lancaster to cityline or even more backroads like belmont all the way up might be worht a try.

If I were you I would just try and get few days to test the routes out if you can make time. There would be nothing worse than having to leave around 7 to get at school on time or something, at least in my book.

yeh but after first semester you dont really have to go to classif you dont want to. Personally I would move to the burbs and get out of the city to save on things like insurance and other cost of living. There are so many places in the area to live that are nice and affordable. Just look around. Alot of the places by school are over priced and not that great. Living in the same building as other people doesn't really matter since most people are within 10 or 15 minutes of each other. Also just wait till the nucleus housing board starts to attract more people.

What towns do you recommend? I've heard Manayunk & Roxborough. Any others?

I'm also considering buying a house and possibly renting to a PCOM student while I live there too. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks alot for the help!!!

manyunk and roxborough are still in philly any where along the border of philadelphia is fine. Renting to others can be hit or miss.

i call first dibs if you get a good house! haha, just kidding. I know i have a while to look around, but i plan on traveling europe over the summer before school starts in august, so I'd like to have everything settled before I leave (though it still gives me about 6 months). I guess I just like to plan ahead! :luck:

I'll be the spokesperson for the cheap suburbs :D

I currently live in Wynnewood which is about a 10 min drive to PCOM. There are a lot of other small suburban towns around me (Narberth, Ardmore, etc.) and I know of students living there as well. I absolutely love living here for the same reasons mentioned above - cheaper rent, better quality housing, and CHEAPER insurance. Wynnewood and the other small towns I mentioned are in Montgomery Co. whereas some of the places closer to school (depending on which side of the road you live on..) are in Phila. Co. This is why there's a big difference in the insurance/rent/etc.

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Back when I was at PCOM I lived in Beekman place for my first two years, in a two bedroom and then a one bedroom. It was OK, the apartments were pretty old and kind of run down in a way, but it was very clean and safe and quiet as well. It's very easy to walk to school (though I quit going to class after gross was over). It was a little on the pricey side and the landlady Marlene is pretty batty but all in all I would probably live there again

My boyfriend lives in Beekman, and it's wonderful. Quiet, close. It's a bit pricey, but it's a 5 min walk to school and about a 5-10 minute drive to main street. A lot of first and second years live there, though we rarely see or hear from them.

If you're looking to buy, I live in condos on Gypsy Lane. A few PCOMers live there. It's great: parking, pool, dog walk areas (I think there's a pet limit). It's quiet and safe (guarded gate). It takes me about 7 minutes to drive to school in heavy traffic and I never have to get on 76. Let me know if you want more info...

Back when I was at PCOM I lived in Beekman place for my first two years, in a two bedroom and then a one bedroom. It was OK, the apartments were pretty old and kind of run down in a way, but it was very clean and safe and quiet as well. It's very easy to walk to school (though I quit going to class after gross was over). It was a little on the pricey side and the landlady Marlene is pretty batty but all in all I would probably live there again

There is no Marlene anymore, just to clarify, the current landlady is really nice and helpful.

Oh and jimmieschick LIESSSSS :D

Presidential City Apts is where I live. I have a great view from the 9th floor down City Ave and am about a 10-minute walk from PCOM. I think that the location is great, and I love my apartment which is in excellent condition, however the quality between the apts is hit-or-miss. There are a few of my classmates in other buildings such as Jefferson that have had horror stories...

I will prob be staying again for another year, but I would use caution in leasing from Presidential, because of hte bad experiences of others... I think that I probably got lucky. That and I live in Madison Bldg which is the nicer of the 4 buildings at Presidential City...

I will be living in Oak Hills Condo. Its in the suburbs but close to school still. Most of all its really nice, quit, in the hills of Penn Valley and I can avoid 76 and City ave by taking the back roads or right down Conshohocken 23 east.
Then I can hit LA fitness right on way home. I looked at a lot I mean a lot of places and most were crappy IMO so got a realtor who found us a GEM!

Have you heard anything about Beekman Place? I'm thinking about signing a lease with them before visiting since I can't get out to Philly before July 1st!

Have you heard anything about Beekman Place? I'm thinking about signing a lease with them before visiting since I can't get out to Philly before July 1st!
I've had a studio apt at Beekman for the last 3 years and really have nothing but positive things to say about the place.

-the building is kept very clean and well-maintained
- my apt is a decent size and has a lot of storage space
- any issues w/ my apt have been taken care of immediately
- friendly and helpful manager
- 100% of utilities are included so its only 1 check per month
- very good heat/ac
- parking usually isn't an issue and if the lot is full late at night...worst case you just park right accross the street -which is well lit
- living around the block from school lets me avoid any philly traffic and max-out my sleep time
- very quiet....able to sleep during day when I've been on call the night before

I could go on....but needless to say...I've been very satisfied. Sure you can find something cheaper....but when you figure in >100$ for utilities at other places the price difference becomes negligible.

I'm not sure how full or backed up they are on the waitlist for the fall.....but I'm going to be moving in w/ my fiance in June so there's at least 1 studio opening up here for July 1st

Good luck w/ your apt decisions and feel free to ask whatever q's you have about Beekman.

Thank you very much. I'm trying to decide between Beekman, Greenbriar and Fairview Plaza. Any opinions on the other places??
I wish I could just go to Philly!

I've had a studio apt at Beekman for the last 3 years and really have nothing but positive things to say about the place.

-the building is kept very clean and well-maintained
- my apt is a decent size and has a lot of storage space
- any issues w/ my apt have been taken care of immediately
- friendly and helpful manager
- 100% of utilities are included so its only 1 check per month
- very good heat/ac
- parking usually isn't an issue and if the lot is full late at night...worst case you just park right accross the street -which is well lit
- living around the block from school lets me avoid any philly traffic and max-out my sleep time
- very quiet....able to sleep during day when I've been on call the night before

I could go on....but needless to say...I've been very satisfied. Sure you can find something cheaper....but when you figure in >100$ for utilities at other places the price difference becomes negligible.

I'm not sure how full or backed up they are on the waitlist for the fall.....but I'm going to be moving in w/ my fiance in June so there's at least 1 studio opening up here for July 1st

Good luck w/ your apt decisions and feel free to ask whatever q's you have about Beekman.

Thank you very much. I'm trying to decide between Beekman, Greenbriar and Fairview Plaza. Any opinions on the other places??
I wish I could just go to Philly!
Hey, no problem

I don't know much about Fairview...but I have some friends who lived at Greenbriar. It's not bad....but in my (obviously biased) opinion it doesn't have as much going for it as Beekman.

-The apts seem to be hit or miss depending on building/location
-heating/ac issues...ie inconsistant and not so easy to control own temp
-plenty of parking for you and any guests
-its a very large complex that seems quiet most of the time
-hallways/stairwells/paint/carpet don't seem to always be clean and could use some work
-comparable price to beekman...slightly cheaper last time I looked
-some buildings have elevators...some don't

thats about all I can think of off the top of my head...hope that helps

I have heard the horror stories of Presidential... I was too scared to even look there. After all the poor reviews, I am surprised they still have business!

And an edit on Beekman, I happened to be involved in a very large accident while parked on the street outside of Beekman. Two cars were totaled, and mine had quite a bit of damage...luckily able to be saved. It's the second accident that has occurred there this year (the first was more minor). Since there's not enough parking in the lots, many people park on the road-and that where accidents and hit and runs occur. I would recommend getting garage parking, even though it's a bit pricey, it's cheaper than your deductible!

I heard a rumour at the brunch in March that Beekman already has a waitlist - is this true? I really wanted to check it out since I had heard good things but when I heard there is a waitlist, just decided to forego it and look elsewhere....:confused:

For those interested in Beekman-:

I'm actually looking to find someone to take over my lease starting in July. Its supposed to end july 31, but im moving in w/ my fiance in mid june....So their will def be at least one studio available here ......feel free to PM me if you have qs/are interested