This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which class?

• Biochemistry II

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • 3000 level Neuro elective

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering which class to take between these two.

Upper division Neuro course (good professor, however only two exams make up the grade. Not the best test taker, but an easy course)

Biochem II (good professor, four exams (less weight on each exam), but would prob need a bit more study time

Both are interesting. I enjoy both, both professors want me in their class. Can't take both right now, offered at the same time. I'd have to wait a year to take the other one.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry II, or whatever you feel is more interesting and won’t hurt the GPA.

Yeah honestly both are as interesting and both prob won't hurt the GPA. Only thing is the neuroscience course has TWO exams ONLY... not the best test taker

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then just play to your strengths this upcoming semester and take the other course.

Yeah... what I'm leaning towards. Thank you for your response and your help :-D

Ugh really considering taking the Neuro course now. Sorry guys. :-//

If you don't care about the impact it might have on your gpa then take the neuro elective. If you do care (which it sounds like you do) then take biochem II. Biochem sounds to be the safer (more safe?) option to me.

Reactions: 1 users
This really doesn’t have much baring for MD school so take what is interesting.

If you haven't already taken the MCAT, you could look at which one has more overlap with MCAT content - more exposure to the material can only help.

I know of 2 schools that require Biochem with metabolism as a prerequisite, and with the new MCAT metabolism is not a bad idea. If your Biochem 1 covered metabolism, cool then take the class that interests you (assuming same GPA outlook in both). If your Biochem 1 did not cover metabolism, then take Biochem 2

I found that biochem helped me a great deal when studying for the MCAT. That, coupled with the greater number of tests for the course, would make biochem the better of the two choices, in my opinion.

I would take Biochem 2. It'll help much more in the long run (MCAT, med school etc.)

I would take the Neuro class only if you are super passionate and genuinely like it MORE than B/C