Which DO schools have a cut off score of 6 or 7 on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scpod, could you give me a 2 second summary of the nontrad aspect of this conversation because I'm too lazy to sort through this whole freaking thread? :)

Just wondering why we had to get thrown in here lumped in with various comments about mediocrity? I know we all have the stereotypical picture of all nontrads as health care workers with cr@ppy stats and a sense of entitlement to med school admissions, but that's just a stereotype and not reality. Anecdotally, I'm a nontrad with a LizzyM score (MCAT + GPA x 10) of over 70, and I've managed to do pretty well in my first year of my schools. I don't think I'm that unusual in the nontrad community. I'm sorry that apnea and JP met some condescending nontrads somewhere, but I'm not seeing the need for the hatefest.

1. i LOVE that LizzyM is now, basically, a noun. She's like google. "Oh, hang on, i'll LizzyM your score for you!"
2. Honey, you're unusually most places you go. You don't suck. And yet, you're a person. You're definitely in the minority.
3. An overwhelming number of nontrads are just like this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=411564
A lot of nontrads just aren't as smart as you. Whatsername in that thread (the one that apparently cannot distinguish between an obvious rant and a derogatory comment) is demonstrating how an upsetting number of nontrads just don't catch on as quick as you.

Members don't see this ad.

for the record I had no problem calculating the mcat scores...

I clarified it for those who could not figure it out apparently.

This thread is ridiculous btw, total waste of time

1. i LOVE that LizzyM is now, basically, a noun. She's like google. "Oh, hang on, i'll LizzyM your score for you!"
2. Honey, you're unusually most places you go. You don't suck. And yet, you're a person. You're definitely in the minority.
3. An overwhelming number of nontrads are just like this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=411564
A lot of nontrads just aren't as smart as you. Whatsername in that thread (the one that apparently cannot distinguish between an obvious rant and a derogatory comment) is demonstrating how an upsetting number of nontrads just don't catch on as quick as you.

OK, this is sort of funny, but I just posted something siding with whatsername. Maybe she's an ex-clerical worker -- we're a little sensitive sometimes because of all the being treated like **** inherent in that job. I am sorta curious about where she was going with the suicide thing, though. :confused:

As you can see I'm also a little sensitive about the nontrad abuse. :oops: We're really not all past failures looking to medical school to fix whatever's missing in our lives. Really, I promise!

I'll also work on being a little less sensitive. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
if i'd gone to college right after high school, i'd have completely bombed it. i NEEDED a break, i needed time off to figure out who i was and what i wanted to do with my life. hell, if i'd gone to college right after high school, i'd be buried in student loans because i'd have gone to Julliard to be a ballerina, and still just as broke as i am now. A lot of nontrads sort of get caught up in it...either their parents pressure them to, or they've just got it in their head that college is what you do after high school.

Not all nontrads are twatty like that, a lot of them that i've run into are great people taking responsibility for their past mistakes and trying to make them better. They've grown up and figured out what they want to do with their life, and they're going after it. That's pretty amazing. The ones we're pissed at are the ones who slid through undergrad, got bored in their crappy job, and decided they deserved to to go medical school because they're old enough and they want to. That's not how it should work. People like that think they're entitled to it, so they go back to school knowing that DO schools will replace whatever grades they got, and they can do their sliding by routine with the MCAT, and it just keeps DO numbers low. They're the ones with that overblown ego and sense of self importance, that tell people like us that we haven't lived, we don't know ourselves well enough to know what we want to do with our lives, etc. It's the ones who do the very minimum to skate by thinking that DO schools will tolerate this because their numbers tend to be lower. That's what's infuriating. They seem to think they've found a way to be a doctor without doing all the work. It's a slap in the face to all of us that have worked our asses off to get where we are.

About that girl...i dunno. i just think it's really stupid to start spouting crap when you've been here less than a month.

hahaha, awesome, i hope you like pink sparkles :love:

The ones we're pissed at are the ones who slid through undergrad, got bored in their crappy job, and decided they deserved to to go medical school because they're old enough and they want to. That's not how it should work. People like that think they're entitled to it, so they go back to school knowing that DO schools will replace whatever grades they got, and they can do their sliding by routine with the MCAT, and it just keeps DO numbers low. They're the ones with that overblown ego and sense of self importance, that tell people like us that we haven't lived, we don't know ourselves well enough to know what we want to do with our lives, etc. It's the ones who do the very minimum to skate by thinking that DO schools will tolerate this because their numbers tend to be lower. That's what's infuriating. They seem to think they've found a way to be a doctor without doing all the work. It's a slap in the face to all of us that have worked our asses off to get where we are.

About that girl...i dunno. i just think it's really stupid to start spouting crap when you've been here less than a month.

I really think the ones you are describing are the minority. Most nontrads I've spoken with aren't trying to "be a doctor without doing all the work". Most of them got the whole "slid through" mentality out of their systems years ago. And the way you state it you seem to be implying that there are no traditional students that slide through and have a hand it to me on a silver platter attitude.

Also, you state that it's nontrads that are keeping DO numbers low. Do you really believe that nontrads (especially ones with low stats) make up such an overwhelming population of the accepted DO's in this country that they alone can be responsible for the stats?

I really hope your post was a failed attempt at sarcasm.

Thanks for trying. No struggle here; maybe you should read a little more into the thread you are trying to summarize.

wow someone has no life

for the record I had no problem calculating the mcat scores...

I clarified it for those who could not figure it out apparently.

This thread is ridiculous btw, total waste of time

Sorry if I offended any of you, but the post was intended to be humorous. This thread could stand a little levity, don't you think?

Sorry if I offended any of you, but the post was intended to be humorous. This thread could stand a little levity, don't you think?

Lots of people are taking things out of context in this thread.

Not all nontrads are twatty like that, .......

:laugh: I'm guessing that you are not from the US from looking at the way you spell some words in other posts, and in the event that you're not - I wouldn't use this word too much in reference to females around here.

It's a very derogatory word in the US. And I'm laughing my butt off right now. Just thought I'd give you a heads up LOL. :laugh:

if i'd gone to college right after high school, i'd have completely bombed it. i NEEDED a break, i needed time off to figure out who i was and what i wanted to do with my life. hell, if i'd gone to college right after high school, i'd be buried in student loans because i'd have gone to Julliard to be a ballerina, and still just as broke as i am now. A lot of nontrads sort of get caught up in it...either their parents pressure them to, or they've just got it in their head that college is what you do after high school.

Not all nontrads are twatty like that, a lot of them that i've run into are great people taking responsibility for their past mistakes and trying to make them better. They've grown up and figured out what they want to do with their life, and they're going after it. That's pretty amazing. The ones we're pissed at are the ones who slid through undergrad, got bored in their crappy job, and decided they deserved to to go medical school because they're old enough and they want to. That's not how it should work. People like that think they're entitled to it, so they go back to school knowing that DO schools will replace whatever grades they got, and they can do their sliding by routine with the MCAT, and it just keeps DO numbers low. They're the ones with that overblown ego and sense of self importance, that tell people like us that we haven't lived, we don't know ourselves well enough to know what we want to do with our lives, etc. It's the ones who do the very minimum to skate by thinking that DO schools will tolerate this because their numbers tend to be lower. That's what's infuriating. They seem to think they've found a way to be a doctor without doing all the work. It's a slap in the face to all of us that have worked our asses off to get where we are.

Your post doesn’t make any sense. So, if you are a non-trad going to med school you didn’t have to work to get there. Schools just understand that you have life experience and just let you in. Sweet, so being a non-trad gives you a backdoor pass for admissions. Makes sense. DO schools are infested with older students. It is so bad I guess the schools should spray for them. So, DO’s schools have been screwing up and letting sub par applicants in for years. Maybe. Well, since this is such a problem I guess we should all be petitioning our state’s legislature to revoke all the licenses of practicing DO’s. The fact that they were sub par applicants must correlate with them becoming bad doctors. And a bad doctor can be a public health threat. But no, the majority of practicing DO’s are competent. Wait, I am confused

Hey, it's better than wasting your time on the "what are my chances", any URM, and "my GPA is 3.8, do I have a shot at my state school" threads :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people are taking things out of context in this thread.

Yeah, i give up on it. i've had a little too much wine, and this has just gotten stupid.

Also, Meg...i uhm, think i just figured out what that word means to American people :eek: Just because you're born here and came here every summer doesn't mean you're not an import :oops: Americans throw around the word "fannypack" to mean some sort of bag worn about the waist that rests on the hip. That...isn't what it means everywhere else :laugh:

Yeah, i give up on it. i've had a little too much wine, and this has just gotten stupid.

Also, Meg...i uhm, think i just figured out what that word means to American people :eek: Just because you're born here and came here every summer doesn't mean you're not an import :oops: Americans throw around the word "fannypack" to mean some sort of bag worn about the waist that rests on the hip. That...isn't what it means everywhere else :laugh:

I know about fanny... I lived in New Zealand for a while and the people I hung out with looked like the UN. I got the lowdown on all the funny stuff and vice versa. Luckily, in the US, fanny means the fleshy part of the butt, not the pink part :smuggrin:

My favorite was my ex-fiance's mother, a devout Polish Catholic living in the motherland, who spoke no English, and though it was hilarious to walk around and giggle and say the f-word. I said a few doozies myself learning the language ;)

Nevermind.

apnea, I get where you're coming from.

You are like me - you speak your mind and try to be a realist. Unfortunately there are many out there who are extremely literal and extremely PC. If you don't say the right thing or conform to certain expectations you are the antichrist.

I may not necessarily agree with stuff you write, but I know you're not out to offend anyone in general.

when i was learning German i'd made friends with this little group of Swiss people living in my old town...apparently German people use the word "spitz" to mean "cool" like "neat," and they use the word "geil" to mean "horny." Since i was talking to a lot more Swiss people than German people, i picked up the Swiss German vernacular, which is exactly reversed. So i told a bunch of very proper, very old Swiss people that i thought their children were incredibly horny.
:oops::oops:

apnea, I get where you're coming from.

You are like me - you speak your mind and try to be a realist. Unfortunately there are many out there who are extremely literal and extremely PC. If you don't say the right thing or conform to certain expectations you are the antichrist.

I may not necessarily agree with stuff you write, but I know you're not out to offend anyone in general.

i want to kiss you right now.
thank you :love::love::love::love:

when i was learning German i'd made friends with this little group of Swiss people living in my old town...apparently German people use the word "spitz" to mean "cool" like "neat," and they use the word "geil" to mean "horny." Since i was talking to a lot more Swiss people than German people, i picked up the Swiss German vernacular, which is exactly reversed. So i told a bunch of very proper, very old Swiss people that i thought their children were incredibly horny.
:oops::oops:

nice.... I used to do the same thing in Polish. I would often tell my fiance that I was horny when I really meant hungry. Good times!

nice.... I used to do the same thing in Polish. I would often tell my fiance that I was horny when I really meant hungry. Good times!

i can't imagine he minded too much either way :laugh:

i want to kiss you right now.
thank you :love::love::love::love:

:)

I was new(er) once too, and came out with guns blazing, and took a lot of heat.

That's why I don't post in pre-allo much and hardly ever in the Drs. Lounge anymore :scared:

Just wanted to give you some encouragement that I get you :cool:

i accidentally had a whole thread full of medical students convinced i was a lesbian the second day i was here. they were shocked when i put my pic in my avatar, they were like "WOW you're a girl...gay :thumbup::thumbdown:?"

i don't remember. they were talking about some celebrity girl and i said i'd do her in a heartbeat...apparently it's 10x cooler if you're also a girl, but very frustrating if you're not a lesbian.

JP, this thread sucks. Make it better :(
i'd do it myself, but my usual MO is just throwing pictures of kittens everywhere. i'm just not up to it right now, i'm really tired.

JP, this thread sucks. Make it better :(
i'd do it myself, but my usual MO is just throwing pictures of kittens everywhere. i'm just not up to it right now, i'm really tired.

This thread was great until all you old people started screwing it up.

I will liven it up in a few hours when you geris are all in bed.

YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME!!

That's it, you're getting kittens
Action-Kitten.jpg
cute%20kitten%28weee%29.jpg
kittypile.jpg

i tried, but you wouldn't listen.

noone is answering the question he asked?

For what its worth, I enjoyed the summary (but not as much as your summary of a typical med students day involving a biker chick and 2 minutes w/ an Anatomy book). (That was you, right?)

I dont know, but mediocrity is the lifeblood of the nontraditional student. Once you hit the age of 30 your ability to score 8's on the MCAT drops dramatically.

I can't believe you are still allowed to post on here. Too bad there's no MCAT section for making asinine assumptions, or you'd get a great score on that section. I am sure we'd all hear about it, too.

I got a 13 on my VR, which I have hesitated bragging about until this point. I am a 34 year old mother of two kids. I have lived, I still got a good GPA, and good MCAT scores. I have never gone on here (or anywhere else for that matter) and said that I am better because I have lived. Not everything is a battle about who is better, and sweeping assumptions are usually wrong.

JP, I think you would love a job on an adcom. That way you could get close enough to us losers (you know, the ones that are too old, the ones who didn't do well enough on their MCATs, the ones who make a typo on their application) to actually spit on us when you mock us and tell us we are not good enough.

I also can't believe you actually had the audacity to say some people on this thread are taking things out of context. What was this thread about again? Oh, right, someone wanted HELP with applying. That is what a good thread is on here, JP, if you haven't figured it out. A good thread is one in which people help each other and give information about medical school and careers. Oh, you probably haven't been involved in many of those.

These are also considered gender neutral terms.

I support gender neutral language long as someone is not throwing grammar stones through the windows of his (or her) glass house.

I can't believe you are still allowed to post on here. Too bad there's no MCAT section for making asinine assumptions, or you'd get a great score on that section. I am sure we'd all hear about it, too.

I got a 13 on my VR, which I have hesitated bragging about until this point. I am a 34 year old mother of two kids. I have lived, I still got a good GPA, and good MCAT scores. I have never gone on here (or anywhere else for that matter) and said that I am better because I have lived. Not everything is a battle about who is better, and sweeping assumptions are usually wrong.

JP, I think you would love a job on an adcom. That way you could get close enough to us losers (you know, the ones that are too old, the ones who didn't do well enough on their MCATs, the ones who make a typo on their application) to actually spit on us when you mock us and tell us we are not good enough.

I also can't believe you actually had the audacity to say some people on this thread are taking things out of context. What was this thread about again? Oh, right, someone wanted HELP with applying. That is what a good thread is on here, JP, if you haven't figured it out. A good thread is one in which people help each other and give information about medical school and careers. Oh, you probably haven't been involved in many of those.

Oh Momma, how wrong you are. :laugh:

You ask a few dozen people on here how I have helped them over the past few years. You might be suprised to find out that although I am an dingus and demand the best from myself and others, I do enjoy helping people.

Letters of recommendation, personalized tours of my campus, meeting influential people at PCOM, recruiting for research projects.

Perhaps someday you could use my help. I would be happy to do what I can for you, but you have got to change your poor attitude.

Back to my turkey sandwich...

I can't believe people are actually disagreeing with JP. Don't any of you have any pride in what you've chosen as a career? Has this world gotten so politically correct that EVERYONE should have a chance at EVERYTHING and ANYTHING they want to do? This is ridiculous. When I was in high school I loved playing basketball. Unfortunately I just wasn't that good, and believe me when I tell you my coach said to my face several times "you suck." No matter how hard I worked I just wasn't that good, it just wasn't my sport. Now let me tell you, I would've loved to make the NBA. It was my dream. I just know I would've been a great basketball player because I'm an extremely hard worker and I would've practiced more than anyone else on the team. But do you see me complaining that the NBA never gave me a chance? NO. Because it wasn't meant to be. I can face the fact that I'm not good enough to be a professional basketball player. So why is medicine, a profession where we are responsible for peoples' lives, any different? Who cares how hard you work if you can't get a satisfactory score on the MCAT - the most important factor in determining where you stand against other qualified people? I don't care if you spent 1000 hours volunteering in the ER. I don't care if you spent 3 years working in Africa with HIV+ patients. You've got a great heart and truly want to help people, there's no denying that. It doesn't mean you're qualified necessarily to make life or death decisions as a doctor. As many have said already, the MCAT is one of many standardized tests you'll have to take, so the whole "I'm not a good test taker" excuse just doesn't cut it. It's like a baseball player saying "I'm not good in the world series." Sorry, you can't be a baseball player then. My dog can run around the block until he's out of breath and panting and even then he'll keep going if I tell him to. Does that mean he should be admitted to medical school as well? So what if med school isn't for you? Big deal. Just as it was my dream to make it to the NBA and in reality I knew that couldn't happen, there are some people who need to face a similar reality with medical school. Just because you want something really badly doesn't make you qualified.

Now if we're talking about supporting a family and holding down a 9-5 job at the same time while going to school, that's a different topic.

I can't believe people are actually disagreeing with JP. Don't any of you have any pride in what you've chosen as a career? Has this world gotten so politically correct that EVERYONE should have a chance at EVERYTHING and ANYTHING they want to do? This is ridiculous. When I was in high school I loved playing basketball. Unfortunately I just wasn't that good, and believe me when I tell you my coach said to my face several times "you suck." No matter how hard I worked I just wasn't that good, it just wasn't my sport. Now let me tell you, I would've loved to make the NBA. It was my dream. I just know I would've been a great basketball player because I'm an extremely hard worker and I would've practiced more than anyone else on the team. But do you see me complaining that the NBA never gave me a chance? NO. Because it wasn't meant to be. I can face the fact that I'm not good enough to be a professional basketball player. So why is medicine, a profession where we are responsible for peoples' lives, any different? Who cares how hard you work if you can't get a satisfactory score on the MCAT - the most important factor in determining where you stand against other qualified people? I don't care if you spent 1000 hours volunteering in the ER. I don't care if you spent 3 years working in Africa with HIV+ patients. You've got a great heart and truly want to help people, there's no denying that. It doesn't mean you're qualified necessarily to make life or death decisions as a doctor. As many have said already, the MCAT is one of many standardized tests you'll have to take, so the whole "I'm not a good test taker" excuse just doesn't cut it. It's like a baseball player saying "I'm not good in the world series." Sorry, you can't be a baseball player then. My dog can run around the block until he's out of breath and panting and even then he'll keep going if I tell him to. Does that mean he should be admitted to medical school as well? So what if med school isn't for you? Big deal. Just as it was my dream to make it to the NBA and in reality I knew that couldn't happen, there are some people who need to face a similar reality with medical school. Just because you want something really badly doesn't make you qualified.

Now if we're talking about supporting a family and holding down a 9-5 job at the same time while going to school, that's a different topic.

Amen to that. Lets just lock the thread now. He's said all there is to be said on the matter.

I got a 13 on my VR, which I have hesitated bragging about until this point.
very nice job!

A good thread is one in which people help each other and give information about medical school and careers. Oh, you probably haven't been involved in many of those.

The reading comprehension skills that you used to score 13 on the MCAT VR section should have allowed you to notice that his post was neck deep in sarcasm.

I was the one who made it personal!!!!! Be consistant man. You were the one who brought up my parents being proud of me. :rolleyes: You also consistently tried to put me down in most of your responses. You also wanted to know what my VR score was? Implying that I didn't score well. You also were the one that brought up my spelling. You also are knocking the school I plan to go to, which is a knock on my future education. I take my education very personally and for you to knock it really hurt. I think you should respect others and when you don't others lose respect for you. I said what I said based on the way you treated me. It was the impression you gave me. Just try to make a little effort respecting others. It will help you in life.
Don't worry Kappy,

JP is just the typical d---head that will piss off all the nurses in the hospital for no reason at all just to put on his "God-like auora" and prance around like he is Zeus shooting fireballs from Mt. Olympus. When in reality, he is just a poor, pissed off man who didn't get to suck on him mommy's t-ts long enough!!

Additionally,

He is still a D.O. so he will have to live with the stigma that not only is he suffereing from post traumatic syndrome (deficiency in mommy's t-- sucking), he will always be a D.O. making less than an MD doing the same thing as himself, mostly though do to his inability to communcate effectively with others and be sensitive to other's feelings.

Additionally,

He is still a D.O. so he will have to live with the stigma that not only is he suffereing from post traumatic syndrome (deficiency in mommy's t-- sucking), he will always be a D.O. making less than an MD doing the same thing as himself, mostly though do to his inability to communcate effectively with others and be sensitive to other's feelings.

PWNED!!!!111
strong PWNAGE

but I guess you can't blame him for wanting to lessen that stigma a bit....although I completely disagree with the part about older people not able to score well on the MCAT

Additionally,

Interesting. I agree with the first part. I mean who does not like sucking on ti--s. As far as the making less money part, where did you come up with that? Have any proof? Of course not; it just shows your ignorance. Although, ignorance is what I expect from anyone who discriminates. Would you like to know my race, religion or BMI so you can discriminate against me too? Why stop with degrees? Or maybe since this thread has taken many horrible turns already we can just talk about your momma instead (and her t--s).

I find JP to be a very helpful person when I've talked to him. Some people always want the sunny side of things. Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Oh well, I'm not saying anything more.

I find JP to be a very helpful person when I've talked to him. Some people always want the sunny side of things. Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Oh well, I'm not saying anything more.

I agree with this. And perhaps JP was referring to the drop in MCAT scores among non-trads because the data on MCAT scores by AAMC indicates that non-trads in GENERAL don't score as well as traditional applicants. That's not to say all non-trads will do poorly, of course.

I have a feeling that if you take offense at JPs posts, then he has struck a chord of truth in you. If you are confident in your application, then you should know you are not "mediocrity".

Oh Momma, how wrong you are. :laugh:

You ask a few dozen people on here how I have helped them over the past few years. You might be suprised to find out that although I am an dingus and demand the best from myself and others, I do enjoy helping people.

Letters of recommendation, personalized tours of my campus, meeting influential people at PCOM, recruiting for research projects.

Perhaps someday you could use my help. I would be happy to do what I can for you, but you have got to change your poor attitude.

Back to my turkey sandwich...

I can vouch for JP. We're at the same stage in our training and I've followed his posts for a long time. I've disagreed with him. I've agreed with him (mostly) and we've collaborated and supported each other at times, when giving advice. He's a good man with high standards and a good heart. I don't think there's been a more supportive medical student/new DO on the pre-osteo and osteo boards for quite a while...he deserves respect.

I can vouch for JP. We're at the same stage in our training and I've followed his posts for a long time. I've disagreed with him. I've agreed with him (mostly) and we've collaborated and supported each other at times, when giving advice. He's a good man with high standards and a good heart. I don't think there's been a more supportive medical student/new DO on the pre-osteo and osteo boards for quite a while...he deserves respect.

Oh, but everyone else knows better! ESPECIALLY those who have never been through the process :rolleyes:

Before you call others "reactionary losers"...... take a look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

Why do I keep coming back to this thread?

Why do people call it "politically correct" when I am just asking someone not to be an dingus? (Pet peeve). I am not saying everyone deserves an equal chance at med school regardless of scores. That is ridiculous. Anyone ever heard of the "straw man" tactic? Has anyone other than me ever taken a debate class or a logic class? A straw man argument is when you pretend to take the side opposite to you, build it up into some ridiculous effigy and burn it and point out how stupid it was.

Did I EVER say every person with a low score deserves an equal shot at med school? Did I propose we get rid of ad coms, tell every loser that JP thinks is too old and has a low score on the MCAT to come on in and give it a whirl?

REGARDLESS of whether the OP finds out if any DO schools have a cut off, losers will apply to med school. Pretending that this is a "dangerous precedent" and tearing everyone a new dingus on this thread doesn't change the fact that 1 in 17 people in premed won't make it to med school.

I am sure JP has lots of friends on SDN and in his med school. I am just appalled at the way I see him react on this thread and on others. If many of you find it entertaining, in the lines of watching a funny verbally abusive guy on a sit com (like Dr. Cox on Scrubs), that's fine. It's your forum, too. I just think that some things are amusing entertainment in some settings and disturbing and angry in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.