Which Post-Bacc Classes Should I Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just admitted to my two-year second baccalaureate degree program, which I am pursuing in order to boost my GPA. I have two questions:

1. I have a "C-" in Gen. Chem 1 and a "C" in Intro. Bio 2 on my undergrad transcript. Should I re-take these courses as part of my second baccalaureate degree or just take new, upper level coursework? I understand it won't make a difference in terms of cGPA calculation for allopathic schools...but what would look better?

2. The major I have chosen (biotechnology) has one non-BCPM and nine BCPM courses for its requirements...Would it have been better to choose a major that will have me do all BCPM courses? The reason I didn't pick Biology, which is all BCPM, is that I already have a biology degree and I wanted to vary my ugrad degrees a bit.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I was just admitted to my two-year second baccalaureate degree program, which I am pursuing in order to boost my GPA. I have two questions:

1. I have a "C-" in Gen. Chem 1 and a "C" in Intro. Bio 2 on my undergrad transcript. Should I re-take these courses as part of my second baccalaureate degree or just take new, upper level coursework? I understand it won't make a difference in terms of cGPA calculation for allopathic schools...but what would look better?

2. The major I have chosen (biotechnology) has one non-BCPM and nine BCPM courses for its requirements...Would it have been better to choose a major that will have me do all BCPM courses? The reason I didn't pick Biology, which is all BCPM, is that I already have a biology degree and I wanted to vary my ugrad degrees a bit.

Thanks !
Are you planning to apply DO, or just MD?
If you are applying DO at all, it is most effective to retake any courses with a C or lower.
Do you think you understand Chem and Intro Bio well enough to rock the MCAT? Remember, with a low GPA, the MCAT is even more important.

If you are applying MD only and are confident that you can self-teach those topics for the MCAT, stick to new upper levels. I mean, tell me which YOU think looks better: getting an 'A' in an introductory course on your second pass through the material, or getting an 'A' on an upper level course your first time through?

Are you planning to apply DO, or just MD?
If you are applying DO at all, it is most effective to retake any courses with a C or lower.
Do you think you understand Chem and Intro Bio well enough to rock the MCAT? Remember, with a low GPA, the MCAT is even more important.

If you are applying MD only and are confident that you can self-teach those topics for the MCAT, stick to new upper levels. I mean, tell me which YOU think looks better: getting an 'A' in an introductory course on your second pass through the material, or getting an 'A' on an upper level course your first time through?

Yeah, I agree that it would look better to get A's on new upper level courses. The thing is I have not yet decided whether or not I will apply to DO. I will have to think that one over myself...

How about my second question? Do you think I should pick the major that is composed entirely of BCPM courses or a new major that is 90% BCPM courses? I already have a Biology-Psychology degree, so I figure doing a straight Bio degree would be too similar...Yeah, it would give me a little more boost on my BCPM gpa, but I don't know how I would feel about having two degrees that are that similar.

The Biotechnology degree will give me more variety, and it still contains nine BCPM courses....

Yeah, I agree that it would look better to get A's on new upper level courses. The thing is I have not yet decided whether or not I will apply to DO. I will have to think that one over myself...

How about my second question? Do you think I should pick the major that is composed entirely of BCPM courses or a new major that is 90% BCPM courses? I already have a Biology-Psychology degree, so I figure doing a straight Bio degree would be too similar...Yeah, it would give me a little more boost on my BCPM gpa, but I don't know how I would feel about having two degrees that are that similar.

The Biotechnology degree will give me more variety, and it still contains nine BCPM courses....
I don't think major choice matters. I certainly wouldn't do the same one a second time. Personally, even Biotech seems a little close in my mind. Try something new...there's no reason you can't still take plenty of BCPM courses!