Which schools provide lecture notes and test off them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at which schools can you get away with not attending class and be better off? I know at some schools, test questions come from lectures and at others, they come from note sets and the syllabus. Anyone want to name names?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably might be better off asking this in the Osteopathic forums from students who actually attended.

Yeah but whenever someone from pre-osteo or pre-allo posts on the osteo or allo board, moderators move it to pre and say it's a pre whatever issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
At every school, there are people who will be better off going to class, and people who will be better off skipping. That's probably the answer you're going to get everywhere you ask.

I'm going to go to class at first, and see how it works out for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

at Every School, There Are People Who Will Be Better Off Going To Class, And People Who Will Be Better Off Skipping. That's Probably The Answer You're Going To Get Everywhere You Ask.

posted Via Mobile Device

+1

At every school, there are people who will be better off going to class, and people who will be better off skipping. That's probably the answer you're going to get everywhere you ask.

I'm going to go to class at first, and see how it works out for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah but there are two problems with this assumption. One, some schools REQUIRE attendance all the time or 99% of the time. Second, some schools test off lecture material and don't put their lectures online so if you don't show up to class, you're not going to do too hot. That's my point. I want to know at which schools you truly have a choice of whether or not to go. As in if you study at home, you can do just as well as if you show up to class versus the schools where are either required to go to class or you screw yourself over if you don't go to class because what's tested is what's presented in class.

I believe a handful of schools have mandatory attendance (my school LECOM for example), but this is usually in line with their curriculum...PBL is pretty hard to accomplish if you're not there.

I have heard from some students at other schools that they prefer to skip class in favor of studying independently at home....I think this just depends on your best learning style. Some people just perform better with self-guidance while others prefer the structure of the lectures.

At LECOM-Erie, the policy is mandatory attendance, but many of the LDP students skip class all the time. They only get on ur case if ur grades start slipping. They also test directly from powerpoints.

Yeah but there are two problems with this assumption. One, some schools REQUIRE attendance all the time or 99% of the time. Second, some schools test off lecture material and don't put their lectures online so if you don't show up to class, you're not going to do too hot. That's my point. I want to know at which schools you truly have a choice of whether or not to go. As in if you study at home, you can do just as well as if you show up to class versus the schools where are either required to go to class or you screw yourself over if you don't go to class because what's tested is what's presented in class.
I'm talking in general. Obviously, if a school is PBL, or required attendance, you're going to have to go to ****ing class. I was under the impression that this went without saying.

I'm talking in general. Obviously, if a school is PBL, or required attendance, you're going to have to go to ****ing class. I was under the impression that this went without saying.

That's why I asked WHICH schools. I didn't want comments in general. I'm not a *****. I know that some do better staying at home and studying and some do better going to lecture. I also know that some require attendance. I'm asking WHICH SCHOOLS don't explicitly require attendance and also test directly off notes that you can get if you don't attend class. I think you misunderstood my question. In other words, at which schools do you have a choice whether or not to attend.

At LECOM-Erie, the policy is mandatory attendance, but many of the LDP students skip class all the time. They only get on ur case if ur grades start slipping. They also test directly from powerpoints.

Thak you. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know.

From what I have heard so far.... KCUMB doesnt have a required attendance policy and most of the test questions come directly from the notes given to you. Its up to you (textbooks as needed) to understand them.

Don't go to NYCOM, with their mandatory attendance policy and their giving us clickers and a GPS :confused: system to track us.

UNE does NOT provide lecture notes. You can subscribe to noteservice, which is a word-for-word student transcription of each lecture. Exams can be from reading, lecture, ppts they never went through but had online, handouts, etc.

SOMA posts their power points online and class attendance is not mandatory (although some faculty would love to change that). There are no notes, notes service, or video or audio recordings. We only have 4-6hrs of lecture/day and at least 90% of the class attended in the first year. Test are from the power points.

UNE does NOT provide lecture notes. You can subscribe to noteservice, which is a word-for-word student transcription of each lecture. Exams can be from reading, lecture, ppts they never went through but had online, handouts, etc.

If someone attends UNE and subscribes to noteservice, do they also have to transcribe notes? Do students take turns doing it?

Yes, students at UNE take turns scribing notes. Depending on what courses you're taking, you only scribe 2-5 times a year. Not bad. And if you want to make a little extra money, there are always folks looking for a scribe (going rate is $40/lecture hour).

KCOM lectures are not mandatory. They provide all lecture notes and a recording of the lectures online.

You are not required to attend class at CCOM. At NSUCOM I heard that attendance is required (as well as a strict dress code). Good luck