White Coat Ceremonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of your schools performed a WHITE COAT CEREMONY?
How was it? Any advice for other schools?

Do you have any pictures? We would all love to see them! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for a white-fur coat for my coating.

We had a White Coat Ceremony for our P1 class during the first week of school. We had a couple guest speakers and took our oath then as well. It was a nice event, made the whole pharmacy school thing seem more real I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea..we had the speakers and the oath too. I thought it was great..Took me four years to get it!!

I've always found ceremonies like this to be a little on the inane side and probably wouldn't attend mine if given the choice. It's just not going to make me feel any more of a professional nor suddenly make my years of studying seem worth it.

we have one you send formal invites to your parents or anyone you know who you want to invite. its a huge deal with speakers and then all pharmacists and students stand at the end and take the oath together. it happens probably 2nd or 3rd week of school
they do it b/c doctors have a ceremony similar and they want pharmacy to feel as professional as a doctor (i guess).

They don't give you a choice to go.
every year it is mandatory.
you have to fill out cards with name, SSN, email, phone number, and address.

however classes are cancelled that afternoon

imperial frog said:
I've always found ceremonies like this to be a little on the inane side and probably wouldn't attend mine if given the choice. It's just not going to make me feel any more of a professional nor suddenly make my years of studying seem worth it.

It's optional at UF, so don't worry about going. A lot of younger students had family come out. I went, but it was overall a waste of time. I didn't bother buying a photo and the speeches you had to sit through were long and boring. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have gone.

dgroulx said:
It's optional at UF, so don't worry about going. A lot of younger students had family come out. I went, but it was overall a waste of time. I didn't bother buying a photo and the speeches you had to sit through were long and boring. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have gone.

Dana, was it in St. Pete or did you have to go to Gainesville?

jemc2000 said:
Dana, was it in St. Pete or did you have to go to Gainesville?

It was in Gainesville. All the campuses were there together. There are pictures on the COP website. I think I'm somewhere in there, but it's hard to see with so many students.

If you do not intern at a pharmacy, is there many opportunities to wear it before rotations?

jemc2000 said:
If you do not intern at a pharmacy, is there many opportunities to wear it before rotations?
We've needed our white coats when we volunteer out in the community or if we tour local hospitals and things like that. (they want us to wear them so we look more professional)

Did the school pay for the white coats or did you buy it yourself? We had to buy ours and then take it to the white coat ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to buy ours. I dont think anything is free in this world. If the 'school' bought it, they probably charged it to your tuition or fees.

i personally think white coat ceremony is waste of time. it serves no purpose.

Reviving an old thread here. I was wondering what you all think about white coat ceremonies. My family would have to travel ~350 miles to my white coat ceremony and I'm wondering if you think it would be worth it to them. I don't want them to feel pressured into coming if it's going to be on the insignificant side. Thanks!

This reminds me that it is donation time, and in fact my alma mater just sent a letter requesting a donation for the White Coat Ceremony. :laugh: I usually do send something every year, though...

Whether it's worth going 350 miles... I wouldn't, personally. Unless you can find something else for your family to do, so it is not just the ceremony they are coming for.

I'd just wait to bring the family down for graduation. At least then you'd get some money :p I'm using my white coat ceremony to bargain my way out of walking for my undergrad in dec. They're going to be a month apart, so I figure my mom will go for it :xf:

Reviving an old thread here. I was wondering what you all think about white coat ceremonies. My family would have to travel ~350 miles to my white coat ceremony and I'm wondering if you think it would be worth it to them. I don't want them to feel pressured into coming if it's going to be on the insignificant side. Thanks!
It really depends on your family. I didn't feel like it was a big deal but my family did, so for them it was kind of cool. Given the choice between that and graduation, it's a no-brainer, but it gives them a chance to see where you go to school and maybe meet some of your classmates. Not a total waste of time for the families (just for the students).

Personally I think it's one of the biggest & most important ceremonies in Pharmacy school. I didn't feel the same way about my high school or college graduation, but I've spent the past year doing my best to get into Pharmacy school, and this is something that I'm proud of. I didn't care if my parents came to any previous graduations, by Pharmacy school is something I'm proud of and something I want the family to know.

A lot of 0+6 kids don't feel the same but if Pharm school is something you worked hard for, by all means your family should recognize your efforts.

It really depends on your family. I didn't feel like it was a big deal but my family did, so for them it was kind of cool. Given the choice between that and graduation, it's a no-brainer, but it gives them a chance to see where you go to school and maybe meet some of your classmates. Not a total waste of time for the families (just for the students).

:rofl:

Yeah I agree. My family thought it was great. They were so proud, etc. I was like, "Huh?". All they do is call your name and put a jacket on you. I have been putting on jackets for years without a ceremony. Then we went out to eat, which I enjoyed 100x more than the ceremony. :whistle:

Ours was at the end of our P1 year, literally the afternoon after our final exam for the spring semester. My wife came since she lives with me and I got a "free" coat with my name on it and some free food. It was okay but nothing too exciting. The younger students brought all their family in to watch them put a coat on. It means different things for different people but to me (an older student - 29 :eek: ) it was pretty pointless. I do appreciate a coat with my name on it though. Now I just have to point at my chest when someone wants to know what my name is.

:rofl:

Yeah I agree. My family thought it was great. They were so proud, etc. I was like, "Huh?". All they do is call your name and put a jacket on you. I have been putting on jackets for years without a ceremony. Then we went out to eat, which I enjoyed 100x more than the ceremony. :whistle:
Oh, we got a really nice barbecue. But the jacket wasn't free. That was a little tacky. "You have to go to this ceremony... and if you could buy one of these white coats, too, that'd be great."

Oh, we got a really nice barbecue. But the jacket wasn't free. That was a little tacky. "You have to go to this ceremony... and if you could buy one of these white coats, too, that'd be great."

You'll get plenty of use out of that white coat....let me tell you.

Our white coat ceremony was sponsored by Walgreens (provided the white coats and calculators for the class), Duane Reade (bought us all backpacks), CVS (paid for the food). I forget who paid for the actual restaurant/club where it was held.

Our white coat ceremony was sponsored by Walgreens (provided the white coats and calculators for the class), Duane Reade (bought us all backpacks), CVS (paid for the food). I forget who paid for the actual restaurant/club where it was held.

wow, that actually sounds like a pretty decent deal

Seems like CVS has their hand in everything. :rolleyes:

Seems like CVS has their hand in everything. :rolleyes:

Actually, the way it worked was that the school called around to many pharmacies and other businesses in the area asking if they wanna sponsor it. (Sure they could have paid for it themselves or added it on to the student's expenses, but hey if you can get some other schmuck to pay for it, why not.)

Actually, the way it worked was that the school called around to many pharmacies and other businesses in the area asking if they wanna sponsor it. (Sure they could have paid for it themselves or added it on to the student's expenses, but hey if you can get some other schmuck to pay for it, why not.)

I like this reasoning :) Get CVS to pay for as much as you can.

Ours was the day before 2nd semester of P1 started. For most of us, I believe it was the first time seeing anybody since semester break, so it was a good opportunity to catch up. Pretty much everybody was there (minus only one student I believe), brought family, etc. Wasn't too long of a ceremony. There were a few speeches, Larry Mokhiber from NYS BoP was there to tell us how he's going to sign our licenses, the photographer went to town with pictures. Our school's server has probably close to a TB worth of high-res pics from it. Wegmans sponsored a feast for us afterward. The food was so good I'm going back next year. All in all, fun event.

I found it rather boring. White coat ceremony might be better off at the end of P1 rather than the beginning. In the beginning, you don't really know anyone so most people just stay with the families and whatnot.

We actually had ours in our last semester of classes before rotations (P3 year). Any time we had to wear a white coat before that, we wore cheap ones we bought ourselves without the school's name on it. I think having it P3 year was sort of a "You've earned this." Plus, it only had one year of use, and those suckers are hard to keep clean with daily use no matter how much bleach you use.

We actually had ours in our last semester of classes before rotations (P3 year). Any time we had to wear a white coat before that, we wore cheap ones we bought ourselves without the school's name on it. I think having it P3 year was sort of a "You've earned this." Plus, it only had one year of use, and those suckers are hard to keep clean with daily use no matter how much bleach you use.

I use Oxyclean, but you're right, it's a pain to try to keep those things white!

My personal opinion on white coats, the more worn out it is indicates that you have more experience.

It was in Gainesville. All the campuses were there together. There are pictures on the COP website. I think I'm somewhere in there, but it's hard to see with so many students.

For the record, its pretty much required at UF now.

Personally I thought it was just meh, but my parents thought it was cool.

They had all kinds of UF stuff for sale, my personal fav was the White Coat shaped coozie. Mom bought it for me, she knows me too well sometimes.

Which of your schools performed a WHITE COAT CEREMONY?
How was it? Any advice for other schools?

Do you have any pictures? We would all love to see them! :thumbup:

Here is a picture from my white coat ceremony.

Investigator%20at%20Uruguay%20Slaughterhouse%203.jpg

Last edited:
I'll quote my six year old: "Actually the White Coat ceremony was kind of boring but it was kind of cool when Mommy came up and got her white coat and I liked it."

I normally don't care for ceremonies like this too much but my family was so proud of me that it was kind of cool. But now I'm trying to figure out how to keep that white coat clean. We are required to wear it every time we give a presentation or go out to our IPPEs so it gets a fair amount of use. I keep marking myself up with pens.

I'll quote my six year old: "Actually the White Coat ceremony was kind of boring but it was kind of cool when Mommy came up and got her white coat and I liked it."

I normally don't care for ceremonies like this too much but my family was so proud of me that it was kind of cool. But now I'm trying to figure out how to keep that white coat clean. We are required to wear it every time we give a presentation or go out to our IPPEs so it gets a fair amount of use. I keep marking myself up with pens.

I have heard that hairspay does wonders for ink stains, though I have never tried it out myself. Also nail polish remover works well. And of course rubbing alcohol does pretty good too.

My problem is dust. I can't stop the cuffs of the sleeves from turning blackish. Also the area around the buttons.

Spoken like someone who has never got tired of having to wash their dirty coat...;)

Don't you know? I live for doing laundry! :laugh: if you have more than one white coat, it is not a problem. I have multiple "pairs" of scrubs that I wash once weekly.

Don't you know? I live for doing laundry! :laugh: if you have more than one white coat, it is not a problem. I have multiple "pairs" of scrubs that I wash once weekly.

I just ordered a second coat tonight for this very reason. :laugh:

I don't hate doing laundry, but yikes! Whoever came up with white coats was bananas.

Do you think this is a good deal? I found an online site that sold scrubs with school logos on them, they looked really sharp online, hope they are nice in real life. Anyway it was (1) three-pocket top, (1) four-pocket pants (two hip, two leg) and (one) three pocket white coat (I like pockets) for 26 dollars - that's after tax, delivery, etc. I think it was a good deal, considering they all have my school logo on them. I hope they don't suck in real life. I am new to buying scrubs, but I must say the online prices are so much lower the prices I find in town. Here's hoping they don't suck. :xf:

I just ordered a second coat tonight for this very reason. :laugh:

I don't hate doing laundry, but yikes! Whoever came up with white coats was bananas.

Do you think this is a good deal? I found an online site that sold scrubs with school logos on them, they looked really sharp online, hope they are nice in real life. Anyway it was (1) three-pocket top, (1) four-pocket pants (two hip, two leg) and (one) three pocket white coat (I like pockets) for 26 dollars - that's after tax, delivery, etc. I think it was a good deal, considering they all have my school logo on them. I hope they don't suck in real life. I am new to buying scrubs, but I must say the online prices are so much lower the prices I find in town. Here's hoping they don't suck. :xf:

You scored on that deal, my friend :)

also going to revive an old thread so i dont start a new one.. does anyone know when UF does white coat ceremonies? Is it in the beginning of your 1st year or after you've completed your first year?