White Coat Ceremonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also going to revive an old thread so i dont start a new one.. does anyone know when UF does white coat ceremonies? Is it in the beginning of your 1st year or after you've completed your first year?

Towards the end of the spring semester, first year.

Members don't see this ad.

As one pharmacist blogger called it, this ceremony is "mutual masterbation" between the alumni who want to see concrete evidence that their money is going to something worthy and students who want to feel good about passing their first semester and being welcomed to the profession. Yes, now you can wear your white coat to Professional Practice class, Pharmaceutics Lab, and on rotations.

It's a great ceremony, but maybe they should do it on graduation day.

Last edited:
White coat ceremonies are pointless in my opinion. Too bad ours was mandatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Granted I'm not in pharmacy school but I found our white coat ceremony to be a bit ridiculous and embarrassing. The white coat ceremony should perhaps be at the end of your education, and it should be a long coat rather than a short one. And even then, considering everyone from janitors to chaplains wear long white coats now, who gives a **** about them.

Granted I'm not in pharmacy school but I found our white coat ceremony to be a bit ridiculous and embarrassing. The white coat ceremony should perhaps be at the end of your education, and it should be a long coat rather than a short one. And even then, considering everyone from janitors to chaplains wear long white coats now, who gives a **** about them.
The public gives a **** about them. It's a sign of the profession (for medicine especially).

While there is truth to the mutual masturbation thought posed above, the ceremony is, in my mind, a rite of passage. It indicates that you're now on the direct path to your profession.

I think it should be done at the beginning of the first year so that students' families, wives, etc are aware that their loved one is doing something different than they've done before.

That way they know when you want to be left alone to study, you mean it. :smuggrin: