White coat no longer white!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Googler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just started med school here. I made the mistake of putting my brand spankin' new white coat in the washing machine, and now it has a uniform (pun intended) tinge of pink because of the red embroidery on it. To make things worse I ironed the coat before I noticed the pinkness. Agh! I found some websites that say to use bleech or Oxyclean, but you're supposed to do it before the thing is dry. What should I do? I'm scared now to do anything that'll make it worse. Does anyone have a proven method for getting out color runs? I will be forever grateful to you!

Man, talk about starting med school on the wrong foot here.

Members don't see this ad.

Googler said:
Hi, just started med school here. I made the mistake of putting my brand spankin' new white coat in the washing machine, and now it has a uniform (pun intended) tinge of pink because of the red embroidery on it. To make things worse I ironed the coat before I noticed the pinkness. Agh! I found some websites that say to use bleech or Oxyclean, but you're supposed to do it before the thing is dry. What should I do? I'm scared now to do anything that'll make it worse. Does anyone have a proven method for getting out color runs? I will be forever grateful to you!

Man, talk about starting med school on the wrong foot here.

Hi there,
Take the coat to your local cleaner and ask for some professional help here. The cleaner may be able to get out the pink for you and get the coat back to you pressed and better looking.
njbmd ;)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Take the coat to your local cleaner and ask for some professional help here. The cleaner may be able to get out the pink for you and get the coat back to you pressed and better looking.
njbmd ;)

Duh, why didn't I think of it? I guess I just freaked out when I saw it. Thanks. Looks like I'll be taking it to the cleaners from now on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Googler said:
Duh, why didn't I think of it? I guess I just freaked out when I saw it. Thanks. Looks like I'll be taking it to the cleaners from now on.
Agree. Do what you do best, Hire someone for the rest.

i have to admit i starting laughing out loud after i read your post. lol

dry cleaners is the way to go.

if u dry clean a coat at dry clean usa its very very expensive - but maybe cotton is cheap

(id rather find another coat and train a monkey to embezzle my name on it.)

you could try that color run rit stone thing
i saw it at a kmart one time - is stuck in my memory because it claimed to suck up colors....black hole perhaps?

Nothing wrong with a little tinge of pink. I would just leave it. ;)

After three years of medical school, mine has turned a nasty yellow in patches near the sleeves and waist, and no matter how much it's bleached, it won't come off. Other students have said they have the same problem with theirs -- even scrubbing doesn't remove the, uhhmm, yellow hospital crap. Or the coffee stains, or the little splash of blood.

Don't spend lots of time or money fixing your white coat. You get it during a ceremony with a round of champagne toasts, but you'll learn to hate it. Not worth the effort to keep it white or wrinkle-free.

I was taught to just grab the embroidered part in your hand, and dunk the rest of the coat in bleach. That'll help remove bloodstains, etc.

(Of course, my med school wasn't fancy enough to embroider our names on it!)