White Coat Sizing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21isFun

Saving people from stupidity since 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school contacted me, and they are ordering white coats in advance to have them embroidered in time- they want us to choose our sizes- but honestly, I have no idea how the sizing runs. I assume its unisex sizing, but how can I guage what size I would take-base it off of what size men's t-shirt I would wear (I'm female BTW). If any females out there could give me some guidance I'd appreciate it, b/c I don't want to look like a clown, by not having it fit somewhat decently. So you know, I'm 5'3", about 135lbs- average build (kinda curvy-a little wider in the hips and and chest). The Admissions secretary said she guessed I'm between a Small or Medium, and said the small may be tight in the shoulders, but Medium may be too long in the sleeves, which I could just turn up. I'm just worried about swimming in the medium since I'm short. Any ladies that can give me some background to how these typically fit will be my new BFF!

Members don't see this ad.

My school contacted me, and they are ordering white coats in advance to have them embroidered in time- they want us to choose our sizes- but honestly, I have no idea how the sizing runs. I assume its unisex sizing, but how can I guage what size I would take-base it off of what size men's t-shirt I would wear (I'm female BTW). If any females out there could give me some guidance I'd appreciate it, b/c I don't want to look like a clown, by not having it fit somewhat decently. So you know, I'm 5'3", about 135lbs- average build (kinda curvy-a little wider in the hips and and chest). The Admissions secretary said she guessed I'm between a Small or Medium, and said the small may be tight in the shoulders, but Medium may be too long in the sleeves, which I could just turn up. I'm just worried about swimming in the medium since I'm short. Any ladies that can give me some background to how these typically fit will be my new BFF!

Your school/hospital should have a uniform place either in the hospital or near it. If not, find a local shop that sells uniforms and try some on. That is the best way to figure out what size fits you.

Reactions: 1 user
My school fitted us during orientation day (we got to try on different sized white coats), then we had a white coat ceremony a few weeks later. There's no way you can know which white coat will fit you right. Our coats come in a bunch of different sizes.

I didn't like that the people fitting us were trying to make us get bigger coats b/c "oh, you'll gain the freshman 15, and you'll be sleeping under your coat, etc". That's BS, I got one that fits and it still looks good (those that got bigger ones had to buy newer smaller ones).

Contact your school, find out if you can come in to try on white coats, or get fitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if the coat has inside pockets? If so, I would get a medium, because once you fill all those pockets, the coat is really big and sticks out all over the place and you can only button it if it's big enough or you look like an idiot. Also, you could try asking what brand the coats are and looking at someplace like allheart.com and seeing if they have the same brand b/c they have sizing charts.

Do you know if the coat has inside pockets? If so, I would get a medium, because once you fill all those pockets, the coat is really big and sticks out all over the place and you can only button it if it's big enough or you look like an idiot.

That's what I was going to say. Go big because what fits comfortably with empty pockets won't when you jam everything you potentially may need on rotations into those 4 or 5 pockets. And some attendings/residents are going to make you button it closed regardless of what you've got jammed in there.

That's what I was going to say. Go big because what fits comfortably with empty pockets won't when you jam everything you potentially may need on rotations into those 4 or 5 pockets. And some attendings/residents are going to make you button it closed regardless of what you've got jammed in there.

:confused: Why would they do that? What's the reasoning behind that?

(Is it just to laugh at a poor med student struggling to close a white coat that's jammed to the bursting point?)

That's just kind of stupid.

:confused: Why would they do that? What's the reasoning behind that?

(Is it just to laugh at a poor med student struggling to close a white coat that's jammed to the bursting point?)

That's just kind of stupid.

You will come across attendings who have "requirements" for how students should dress professionally. That may mean buttoned coats when walking through the wards. That may mean stethoscopes tucked neatly into a pocket rather than around your neck. That may mean careful attention to how visible your name badge is displayed. Some people make rules simply because they can. It is one of the perqs of being an attending in a teaching hospital, I guess. But you will likely come across it at some point.

You will come across attendings who have "requirements" for how students should dress professionally. That may mean buttoned coats when walking through the wards. That may mean stethoscopes tucked neatly into a pocket rather than around your neck. That may mean careful attention to how visible your name badge is displayed. Some people make rules simply because they can. It is one of the perqs of being an attending in a teaching hospital, I guess. But you will likely come across it at some point.

This is totally news to me.

This hasn't happened to me once so far during third year - and I don't know if it will (I'm currently on family med - where attendings wear birkenstocks to work - and have peds next). I haven't heard of it happening to any of my friends yet either, nor to any of the fourth years.

Huh. :confused: Guess I've been lucky so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues!

Your school/hospital should have a uniform place either in the hospital or near it. If not, find a local shop that sells uniforms and try some on. That is the best way to figure out what size fits you.

Best bet is to go to a uniform place and try a few on leaving room to add a stethoscope/pocket books. If you can find out what brand your school is purchasing, so much the better. Different brands are cut differently. If your coat is longer, that better than having a coat that will not button or close especially with your pockets full. You can roll sleeves so that you don't look like a "little wizard " so don't worry so much about sleeve length. Unisex coats are just not made for small-med,short women.

Another thing to do is spray your coat with "Scotchgard" as soon as you get it. This helps to resist stains (coffee in my case). When you wash it, use a small amount of bleach in the water so that you don't end up with a faded yellow coat. (I actually had mine done by a professional cleaner so that it would stay white). I also kept three white coats so that I always had a clean and pressed coat ready for wear.

The problem with being a girl though is I have to go REALLY REALLY large before my hips can fit in a buttoned coat (we wear long coats that are made for men). Tragic.

Anyways, I'm 5'3" and 125 or so with a Latin butt and they gave me a 36 which is a bit big but perfect under sweaters. Do you have the option of a more specific size like a 36? In general I would go for fitting for the shoulders above fitting for the hips. When you get to third year you can buy a brand that is made for females.

Even if you find out your chosen size doesn't fit you when you receive the white coat, you may happen to have the option of trading with other students who have size issues.

Trying on different white coats at uniform shops is a good idea. I did that, but it didn't help because my school offered S through XL when I needed XS. I had to buy a XS size at a uniform shop. During winter break, I took the size S white coat home to have my mother make alterations to it with the sewing machine.

This is totally news to me.

This hasn't happened to me once so far during third year - and I don't know if it will (I'm currently on family med - where attendings wear birkenstocks to work - and have peds next). I haven't heard of it happening to any of my friends yet either, nor to any of the fourth years.

Huh. :confused: Guess I've been lucky so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues!

wow, hasn't happened to me either. though my school is more laid back when it comes to this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school recently made new coat orders available to us (to use as back-ups/replacement for the white coats that we received during first year, which already have a lot of mileage and are starting to look pretty dingy.) During orientation, measurements were taken for our coats, and there were 2 separate sizings for women and men. I was in between a women's small and medium, but opted for the medium because I figured it would shrink when I washed it, I'd want to put lots of stuff in my pockets, etc. Big mistake. Now I look like a giant white box. I have to roll the sleeves up so that I don't drag my cuffs in people's wounds and stuff. It doesn't fit right, and it just feels too big. It didn't shrink in the dryer, either.

This year, our school gave us the option to order some new coats. I jumped at the chance. However, these coats were coming from a different distributor than our old coats, had different embroidering, etc. So, I figured that, to be on the safe side, I'd go with a medium, and just get it altered if I had the same problem. When my 2 new white coats were delivered, I went home to try them on. What the school had failed to mention was that the sizes must have been unisex this time. Where my old white coat just made me look like a box, I was positively SWIMMING in these coats. They are probably too big for many of the males in my class. You can't even SEE that I have hands when I have it on - I look like a preschooler playing dress-up in her daddy's lab coat. I brought it to a tailor, but it was a lost cause - they would have had to remove so much fabric that it would have cost me an arm and a leg, and would have looked really strange and "poofy" in sections where they couldn't take it in. So, I'm out the $$ I spent on these coats, and I'm stuck wearing my old white "box" from first year. Ugh.

If you are a woman around 5'5", 130 lbs, get the small. (Unless it's unisex - then get the extra small.) I'm not a particularly tiny or big person, so I figured that medium would be perfect. Totally wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter what you order, I guaranatee you it will fit like a tent.

IMO get the smallest possible size. XS or S. Those med school white coats are huge and trust me, you don't want to put a million things in your pocket, especially not your inside pockets...that will make you look fat.

No matter what you order, I guaranatee you it will fit like a tent.

Haha, best advise so far. I've yet to see anyone look good in a short white coat. I think it's actually worse for males though, those pockets at the bottom of the coat sit right at the hips and once you start putting things in there you look like a pear. Not flattering. It's temporary though, I just emailed my residency program yesterday with my sizing so they could have my big boy coat ready when I start. Feel like a dork, but I'm pumped to finally get one.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm having a hard time understanding the sizing chart to order my white coat...The "sizing chart" link next to the coat size on the order page has a list of numbers. My numbers seem to match a Large however when I go back to the main page, it only asks for ONE number...is that a dress size number? *so confused*:confused: SEE WESITE: http://www.webmedbooks.com/nova/content/novaproducts.aspx/gender=female/#

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm having a hard time understanding the sizing chart to order my white coat...The "sizing chart" link next to the coat size on the order page has a list of numbers. My numbers seem to match a Large however when I go back to the main page, it only asks for ONE number...is that a dress size number? *so confused*:confused: SEE WESITE: http://www.webmedbooks.com/nova/content/novaproducts.aspx/gender=female/#

Your sizing is a lot like mine, except it seems your school didn't at all separate men vs women sizes. The lower numbers are female sizes. Up to 18 or 20. If it's the same company FIU uses, the female cut isn't like that of a suit jacket. It's closer to a male cut. I am a rather normal sized female with very broad shoulders (5'2" 125 lbs), I often don't fit in size 16 suit jackets simply because of my shoulder size, so I thought maybe an 18 coat would work. I managed to get down to my med school and try on coats, and it turned out even a 10 fit my shoulders, though it was quite tight. I ended up choosing 14 to make extra room for shoving things in the pockets. There aren't inside pockets in the ones we're getting, but there are 3 on the outside (two bottom, one top).

Hope that helps a bit.

Hmm... I'm a few inches shorter than you and I had to roll up the sleeves of my Small coat. It's also pretty long. I am of average weight, sorta curvy, and Small (for female) fits. The shoulders are fine. Dunno if this helps.

Oh, and also I gained a bit of weight this year. At my max I was 125 lbs, and the coat still fit in the shoulders.

I'm about the same size and top heavy. I got a small at my school. maybe go with your scrub top size?

If you got a medium you could always have the sleeves shortened (I had to roll mine up on my small).

Either way the fit is not going to be flattering on anyone.

Get one that fits you in the shoulders, then get it taken in by a tailor.

Eh... I have a medium coat, and it just fits comfortably around my hips and waist, but is about 2 inches too wide in each shoulder. I doctored up my sleeves with safety pins so that my sleeves weren't past my fingers anymore, and so the seam of the shoulder hit where it was supposed to.

My white coat was a joke. Made to fit a 350 lb man wit ha 60 inch waste. Turrible just turrible

I am very similar in size and build (1 inch taller and a few pounds heaver, so almost exactly the same), and I found the small great except the hips. I also have the curvier figure, and it was a bit tight there. I opted for a medium (my school has unisex coats), and then felt very box-like. I had a friend who put a curve in the side seams where my waist is, then narrow the sleeves and shorten them a bit. It's not an amazing job, but she got it done really quickly and now I feel comfortable either buttoning the coat or not. I almost never button it, but I know that I could without making my already wide hips more prominent.

Keep in mind that most med students look a little funny in their coats. You can get the nice fitted one when you're a resident. :) It is kind of silly for them to embroider your name on it without you trying it on, though. At my school we have to pay for embroidery after we get the coats if we want it. The coats have the school name, but not our names.

I wear 46-Long suit jackets and I got an XL lab coat.

The waist was way too big, and the sleeves were too short. Had it tailored for about $20, now its perfect. They definitely run a little big, but now that mines been tailored its comfortably big, not stupidly malfitting.