White coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToldYouSo

Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm watching tv and just saw a commercial about a pharmacy technician program, and one of us the guys said he was a pharmacy technician and he was wearing a long white coat. Is it becoming the custom for everyone in a health related field to wear a white coat now?

Members don't see this ad.

i think his point is that it's a tech, not an actual pharmacist with a professional degree. i agree with you, they're definitely misconstruing/falsely advertising that there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh? I worked in a lab since freshman year of college and wore a white lab coat nearly everyday. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, it was just standard procedure/etiquette.

It's a growing trend, very visible in hospitals. At a nearby hospital, seemingly everyone wore white coats.

I saw one individual who was walking quickly toward the ER...I thought he was a doctor responding to an emergency as he was wearing a long white coat. He stopped, grabbed some tools from a side closet and gave the nearby toilet a masterful scrubbing.

I was laughing my head off.

The workers at the teeth whitening booth at a mall near me all wear white coats. Very misleading...

The workers at the teeth whitening booth at a mall near me all wear white coats. Very misleading...

That sounds funny. White coats are customary for a lot of things, including pharm. techs, they just don't have the ceremony and all that med students have. The techs at Walgreens all wear them... well, at least some do. I'm waiting for my ceremony.

I wonder if the employees at the Mac-counter are board certified dermatologist? :rolleyes: They wear white coats.......I mean if someone wears a white coat to work then they must be a Dr. in some sort of health profession, right....?

Hey Chrono,

We can see clearly who is going into this field in order to impress others you arrogant a**. I mean i remember back in 4th grade when I used to made fun of individuals for there jobs. Clearly, after a comment like that it is evident you will be unable to truly help people. If i had to take a guess you are probably the rich mommy's boy who has never had to work a day in his/hers life and thinks the world OWES you something. Grow up

My understanding is that the white coat is merely a protective smock. I wore them in labs to prevent chemicals or matter getting on my clothes; Cosmologists where them when applying make-up in the mall; and dentists, well they seem to just wear them when they are cold.
Don't let the ceremonial talk get to your head. It's a tradition, but white coats, they are just overcoats protecting your street clothes.

Dear future doctors

Please don't focus too much on the external presentations. The prestige of a doctor does not depend only on his/her academic accomplishments but also his/her more admirable characters such as genuine compassion, care, and concerns for others. The word doctor has more meaning than simply to indicate a person who has accomplished a doctorate degree. It actually means teachers. In other languages it also means healer, father (because in a sense, the doctor gives the patient a new life or he cares for the patient like a father cares for his child), and master. Interestingly enough, when used as a verb, it also means fake, falsify, or tamper with. ;)

Personally, I want a pink coat ceremony. Who wants to join me? ;)

Hey Chrono,

We can see clearly who is going into this field in order to impress others you arrogant a**. I mean i remember back in 4th grade when I used to made fun of individuals for there jobs. Clearly, after a comment like that it is evident you will be unable to truly help people. If i had to take a guess you are probably the rich mommy's boy who has never had to work a day in his/hers life and thinks the world OWES you something. Grow up

I agree, but a bit harsh....ouch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Chrono,

With such a seemingly short fuse and inability to let things go, perhaps you will be unable to "truly help people."

The ones who wear white coats here on campus are just trying to be cool... The med. students get them in their first year and they wear them 24/7! At lunch, on the toilet.. EVERYWHERE.. I personally think it's lame to wear a white coat so that others think/know you are, or will become, a doctor. The dental school doesn’t get them until there 4th year and not one student wears theirs....

Plus they are not a fashion statement... they are actually ugly!

I say the ONLY ones who should wear them are ones who need them!!! Like surgeons....

I laugh at those of you who think you are cool walking around in an ugly white coat!! Seriously I do!

White Coats are not supposed to be a fashion statement or indicative of one's job. If you read about the history of the white coat you will learn that doctors used to wear black.
The problem was that the black coats could get dirty and it wouldn't show up, so doctors started wearing white.
I think the white is merely intended to imply cleanliness and sterility.

Hey Chrono,

Before popping your head off did you ever consider that he was laughing at himself for immediately jumping to conclusions. Surely you have had DOH moments in life.

Honestly i could care less what color my PPE is.

Good golly, who cares what you wear or when you wear it. I saw a similar discussion about scrubs.. i plan on wearing scrubs because they are comfy and easier than professional attire, and i plan on wearing a white coat so that i dont get spit, blood, and slobber on clothes that i take home. if i happen to forget to change while at target someday, its not because im showing off how sweet i am for being a dental student, its because im comfortable, slightly lazy, and don't expect people to judge me on my apparel...

I wonder if the employees at the Mac-counter are board certified dermatologist? :rolleyes: They wear white coats.......I mean if someone wears a white coat to work then they must be a Dr. in some sort of health profession, right....?

Actually, Mac wears all black. It's the Clinique counter that the white coats are worn..and yes they are Dr.'s. ;)

Hey Chrono,

:laugh:

Whats wrong - mommy didn't tuck you in last night? I have nothing against any of the workers in the hospital - I could care less what their occupation is. Read what I wrote again - I never made fun of anyone because of their job - learn to read and comprehend fool before you lash out at people and make yourself look like an idiot. My point, and I stand by it - is that it's misleading when a janitor dresses like a doctor. I have nothing against Janitors. It confuses patients, which is wrong. lmao - I worked since the first day in college to support myself, not that you'd know so go f*** yourself. YOU need to grow up and learn to read.

Last edited:
I'm going to wear scrubs all day. It's like working in pjs lol

When i worked in a dental clinic I wore a white lab coat, as well as everyone else, including the receptionist. Personally, i'd opt for scrubs as well!

The ones who wear white coats here on campus are just trying to be cool... The med. students get them in their first year and they wear them 24/7! At lunch, on the toilet.. EVERYWHERE.. I personally think it's lame to wear a white coat so that others think/know you are, or will become, a doctor. The dental school doesn’t get them until there 4th year and not one student wears theirs....

Plus they are not a fashion statement... they are actually ugly!

I say the ONLY ones who should wear them are ones who need them!!! Like surgeons....

I laugh at those of you who think you are cool walking around in an ugly white coat!! Seriously I do!

Actually, a lot of schools give out lab coats in mid-late 2nd year.

I'm going to wear scrubs all day. It's like working in pjs lol

I can't WAIT to wear scrubs all day! So easy and comfortable, that's seriously on my list of reasons as to why I'm going to enjoy being a dentist! lol

She was talking specifically about her school. Also, even though I have a white coat, I have worn it:
1. At the white coat ceremony
2. On an externship (Where I was required to have a white coat)

I honestly don't even know where it is right now.

I am specifically talking about the school I will be attending. And I know because I work here.

…………………..

I am not dogging scrubs though. In my opinion that is a totally different ball game. I think scrubs are perfect when you are in a lazy mood or will be performing a so called "messy" case.

The school gives out disposable gowns that everyone uses. There is no need to wear a white coat if you plan to get messy...stupid excuse… why the hell would you want someone's saliva/blood in your washer when you go to clean it.. EEEEKKK!
But this is totally my opinion and won't hate on anyone who wants to wear one.. I am just telling you why I won't be wearing one..

Actually, Mac wears all black. It's the Clinique counter that the white coats are worn..and yes they are Dr.'s. ;)

Oh...Yeah. Your right. Sorry, I knew it was something like that. The MAC employees must be underachievers (dermatology hygienists, or dermatology techs). :D

Rofl!

Didn't expect this many responses, I never really thought/heard of the white coat being used for hygiene purposes, learned something new X)