White coats in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For residency, did you continue wearing the same white coats you bought/wore during med school, or did you get brand new ones?

Members don't see this ad.

For residency, did you continue wearing the same white coats you bought/wore during med school, or did you get brand new ones?

Have to get new long white coats. Plus, they are filthy... I can't wait to get rid of mine.

Yeah, if you wore your short coat from med school during residency I'm pretty sure you'd get some weird looks.

Several programs give you an embroidered long white coat when you start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if you wore your short coat from med school during residency I'm pretty sure you'd get some weird looks.

Several programs give you an embroidered long white coat when you start.

Plus a lot of schools have a long white coat ceremony to usher you into the proffesion.

A handful of programs keep the residents in their short coats, and only attendings wear long coats. And a handful of med schools put their students in long coats.

I haven't heard of any that keep you in short coats the whole way through. I think (think) Brigham keeps the interns in short coats and long coats are for "residents." Foofy, I say. Gimme my long coat.

Of course, I already had one, 6 years before becoming a doctor, as a paramedic student... so the awe and wonder really didn't exist for me.

as most have said, you usually upgrade to long white coats. I think this should work the other way as well, whereby first years are given only sleeves, and it gets a little longer each year thereafter. Super trendy!

A handful of programs keep the residents in their short coats, and only attendings wear long coats. And a handful of med schools put their students in long coats.

At Mayo no one wears a white coat. I've also heard that a lot of different pediatric hospitals discourage white coats, although I dunno if this is standard.

I don't like the long coats. They're more cumbersome and just less aesthetically appealing. I wish everyone wore the short coats :(

I don't like the long coats. They're more cumbersome and just less aesthetically appealing. I wish everyone wore the short coats :(

Surely you're trolling the thread.

Short coats make you look like you should being bringing in tea and finger sammiches.

I think females can look cute in the SWC, but not dudes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surely you're trolling the thread.

Short coats make you look like you should being bringing in tea and finger sammiches.

I think females can look cute in the SWC, but not dudes.

Haha, not trolling. The long coats are just so long. I'd prefer somewhere between the short and long.

And all other non-md/do medical education programs too -_-
I don't mind so much when NPs, phlebotomists, etc where long coats, I just wish they followed a short coat system for their students like we do.

I wish we would start wearing gray or black coats, just so all the allied health folks will have to buy new coats, then argue they switched because they prefer the color...

I think wearing wizard hats would start some interesting trends

I haven't heard of any that keep you in short coats the whole way through. I think (think) Brigham keeps the interns in short coats and long coats are for "residents." Foofy, I say. Gimme my long coat.

Of course, I already had one, 6 years before becoming a doctor, as a paramedic student... so the awe and wonder really didn't exist for me.

Yeah my understanding is the Harvard program makes the interns wear short coats because they're "still technically students". That's some serious bull right there on their part.

You get new ones

Any self-respecting residency program should buy their residents white coats.

They are typically longer, sometimes nicer. A lot of them have the program/hospital's logo embroidered. Most importantly, you will have M.D. or D.O. behind your name :)

You get new ones

Any self-respecting residency program should buy their residents white coats.

They are typically longer, sometimes nicer. A lot of them have the program/hospital's logo embroidered. Most importantly, you will have M.D. or D.O. behind your name :)

Do the ones you get in med school not have your names on it?

Do the ones you get in med school not have your names on it?
Neither my med school nor my residency program (two different places) monogrammed our white coats.

However, in residency, our hospital laundered our white coats for us (which is why they weren't monogrammed---we had a white coat dispenser just like we had scrub dispensers. i.e. deposit your white coat for the laundry, get a clean new one).

But yes, I agree that the majority of residency programs will give you white coats. No need to purchase your own.

Does Duke still do the short white coat + white pants thing for interns? Thought I heard a rumor a while back that they were going to change that.

Yeah my understanding is the Harvard program makes the interns wear short coats because they're "still technically students". That's some serious bull right there on their part.

I was told MGH has everyone in short white coats including attendings, because they're all still learners. I think junior residents at bwh still wear short white ones but idk.

Haha, not trolling. The long coats are just so long. I'd prefer somewhere between the short and long.

You can get different length white coats. My school doesn't do the whole short white coat thing. Mine is about 2-3 inches above my knee. You can get those super long ones, which are pretty awkward.

We have a few attendings at one of the hospitals that I rotate at that wears a short coats. They are urology and plastics I believe.

I was told MGH has everyone in short white coats including attendings, because they're all still learners. I think junior residents at bwh still wear short white ones but idk.

I can't even begin to express what utter horse**** this is on their part.

so many people wear white in coats in a hospital nowadays that the only way to know for sure who is an attending is to look for people WITHOUT the white coat...crazy, isn't it?

The whole white coat length thing is just utterly ridiculous. I have yet to meet a non-medical professional that knows jack squat about white coat lengths and etiquette. The only people that know or care are med students, interns, residents, etc.

I'm personally going to wear a short pink lab coat in medical school. If people ask I'm going to tell them I want to be an oncologist and the coat is for breast cancer awareness.

My med school put our names on our short white coats and my residency program does the same (on long coats), in addition to adding our department on the sleeve under the program's name. We were given 3 and the hospital launders them for us.