Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Elewynne are things any better now?

Thank you for asking Amygdarya, I am doing better now! Amazing what a good cry and a bit of time can do. :lol:My father in law is slowly recovering, still in the cardiac ICU and he doesn't have much in the way of memory or recognition skills (he still can't correctly identify my husband by name, or any other people, for instance, and he often thinks he's at work and tries to get up to do stuff!). But he can hold small, basic conversations, eat on his own, and he's regaining strength and energy. We're hopeful he'll remember more and be more "aware" as the blood in his brain goes away and he gets more mental exercise. Bathroom remodel is nearing it's completion and while it's not quite the quality I hoped for it's an improvement over what we used to have, and I think I can handle the touch-ups to make it pretty nice in the end. I feel so much better today. :clap:

Reactions: 1 user
Finally heard back from one of the several physicians I contacted about shadowing. Rejected. :( *sigh* Not looking like I'll ever get anywhere near the 100 hours of shadowing my school's review board requires. I've been really worried about how I'm going to magically produce LORs today, if I can't meet my review board's requirements, can't get any physicians to give me the time of day, can't figure out how to pull off this whole "getting to know your professors" thing, am not hearing back from any volunteer organizations, and can't even find a job.

Also, blah blah money blah blah feeling stuck in life blah blah being alone over Spring Break sucks.

If you have any family in the area or drivable distance, also try asking them to ask their physicians as well - that is how I got some of my shadowing hours. Also, research if there are any physician associations in your region - I got a majority of my hours by applying to a mentorship program through my state's family physicians association and being matched to an incredible family physician who let me tag along for several days of shadowing. It was pretty fun, particularly since we were within a couple years of the same age and had a pretty similar personality. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to go MD, but a doctor is a doctor even though people sometimes speak of shadowing MDs and DOs as if they're two radically different experiences (my pre-med advisor is forever making the distinction between shadowing the two, saying things like, "If you're not sure where you want to go, make sure you shadow both MDs and DOs so you can apply to either.") I'll check out the physicians association thing as well.

They might be suggesting you shadow some DOs because some osteopathic schools require you to shadow or get a LOR from a DO.

Even though Ive been accepted to a DO school. Im still interviewing into late March. My first interview was in November and I have my last 2 coming up in the next week. Its been a long, expensive, emotionally and physically exhausting season.

And back down the slide again. Got word today from the physicians that based on the traumatic brain injury he sustained from falling during his cardiac arrest, my father in law is unlikely to make a 100% functional recovery; and because of that he is also unlikely to be able to return to his job. We will have to see where his recovery takes us, but it is pretty devastating news and opens a lot of uncertainty into our lives.

And back down the slide again. Got word today from the physicians that based on the traumatic brain injury he sustained from falling during his cardiac arrest, my father in law is unlikely to make a 100% functional recovery; and because of that he is also unlikely to be able to return to his job. We will have to see where his recovery takes us, but it is pretty devastating news and opens a lot of uncertainty into our lives.

So sorry Elewynne.

Really sorry to hear that Elewynne... Is there anyone living with/close to your father in law - a spouse, other relatives?

So sorry to hear this news :(

Thank you for your thoughts everyone. Just taking it one day at a time. The FIL has a girlfriend of 5 years, but we have heard conflicting accounts on how stable their relationship was immediately before this occured. One family friend claims he had asked her to move out, while my husband said he told him a week prior that they were trying to decide where to retire in another 10 years. We're all just hoping he recovers enough mentally to start making some decisions, as he never designated any power of attorney or anything else, and it's apparently been making arranging for medical care/rehab and planning for his finances long-term challenging.

People, designate stuff, please!

Crunched numbers, and basically, unless if I magically come up with $4,000 within the next month and a half, I won't be able to take classes this summer. That's going to effectively push my application back a year. Pretty bummed.
Sorry, that sucks. I have been skirting with the minimum credits possible for the last few quarters, doing things like taking the 3 credit biochem instead of the 4 just to save some money. It will get better, eventually. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, that sucks. I have been skirting with the minimum credits possible for the last few quarters, doing things like taking the 3 credit biochem instead of the 4 just to save some money. It will get better, eventually. :(
Thanks, sorry to hear about your situation too. :( If I could get away with taking Gen Chem II without the lab, I could probably make at least that class work, but unfortunately I can't. That single extra credit doubles my tuition, which is insane.

Thanks, sorry to hear about your situation too. :( If I could get away with taking Gen Chem II without the lab, I could probably make at least that class work, but unfortunately I can't. That single extra credit doubles my tuition, which is insane.
Thanks. :) Things did not work out for me this cycle, so at least I'll have a gap year to work and straighten up my finances a bit. When are you applying? You know that you don't need to have everything by the time you apply - just by the time you matriculate? You probably know it, of course, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks. :) Things did not work out for me this cycle, so at least I'll have a gap year to work and straighten up my finances a bit. When are you applying? You know that you don't need to have everything by the time you apply - just by the time you matriculate? You probably know it, of course, but I thought I'd ask.
Bummer. :( Hopefully you'll be able to make excellent use of that gap year. I was bummed about having to take one myself, but now I'm hoping I'll be able to use it to do something cool...if I have money by then haha.

I was hoping to apply for the 2016-2017 school year, but I guess I probably won't be able to now. I do know you don't have to have everything done when you apply, but the thing is, I imagine you should have at least taken the courses covered on the MCAT before you take it. As is, I was planning on self-teaching biochem so that I could take the MCAT before completing the course. If I can't take Gen Chem II this summer, then I would have to teach myself O Chem II AND Biochem if I wanted to take the MCAT at the same time, and that would be on top of working full time if I ever find a job and working on extracurriculars.

Just seems like there's no way I can win at this point. I'm really kicking myself for not having the sense to be pre-med as an undergraduate student when my tuition was covered by a scholarship. Everything is harder as a non-trad. The system just isn't designed for non-trads.

Bummer. :( Hopefully you'll be able to make excellent use of that gap year. I was bummed about having to take one myself, but now I'm hoping I'll be able to use it to do something cool...if I have money by then haha.

I was hoping to apply for the 2016-2017 school year, but I guess I probably won't be able to now. I do know you don't have to have everything done when you apply, but the thing is, I imagine you should have at least taken the courses covered on the MCAT before you take it. As is, I was planning on self-teaching biochem so that I could take the MCAT before completing the course. If I can't take Gen Chem II this summer, then I would have to teach myself O Chem II AND Biochem if I wanted to take the MCAT at the same time, and that would be on top of working full time if I ever find a job and working on extracurriculars.

Just seems like there's no way I can win at this point. I'm really kicking myself for not having the sense to be pre-med as an undergraduate student when my tuition was covered by a scholarship. Everything is harder as a non-trad. The system just isn't designed for non-trads.
That's a lot of self teaching, I agree that it's wise to take the courses and not rush things. It might seem as if it is taking forever but trust me, applying when you are 'almost ready' is even worse. I'm pretty sure that I would not have done as well on the MCAT if I had not been done with the basic physics/bio/chem/o.chem by the time I took it. Don't kick yourself, it could have been worse - I did not figure out that I needed an undergraduate degree until my mid 30s. Talk about a system not designed for me. ;) Good luck with the job hunt - you never know how and when you'll get lucky! :thumbup:

That's a lot of self teaching, I agree that it's wise to take the courses and not rush things. It might seem as if it is taking forever but trust me, applying when you are 'almost ready' is even worse. I'm pretty sure that I would not have done as well on the MCAT if I had not been done with the basic physics/bio/chem/o.chem by the time I took it. Don't kick yourself, it could have been worse - I did not figure out that I needed an undergraduate degree until my mid 30s. Talk about a system not designed for me. ;) Good luck with the job hunt - you never know how and when you'll get lucky! :thumbup:
Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm going to stay on the medicine path if I have to push back my application another year, though. I do understand that plenty of people don't begin med school until much later than when I would be beginning, but in my mid-twenties, I'm also in a position where I'm under pressure to be getting on with my life and career already. I'm not really interested in sitting in limbo for an additional year, so oh well; we'll see. There are also a lot of other factors that come into play like the fact that I need a brain MRI, chest CT scan, and dental work, all of which I'm currently ignoring because I don't have the money for them. I'm just really overwhelmed, and it's making it difficult to figure out what decisions to make. I'm probably not even making sense right now, as my head has been throbbing for the past hour and making it difficult to think clearly, so I'm going to shut up. :p

Not so much crappy, but anxious. Anxious about starting med school. Really anxious about anatomy. And then I started reading threads about "best textbook for anatomy", except everyone uses something sort of different. So now I ragequit and I'm just going to wait for school to start.

Reactions: 2 users
Not so much crappy, but anxious. Anxious about starting med school. Really anxious about anatomy. And then I started reading threads about "best textbook for anatomy", except everyone uses something sort of different. So now I ragequit and I'm just going to wait for school to start.
Ask the upperclassmen at your school what they used and go with that.

I thought the government changed my social security #. NO, they just sent me what my current outstanding principal balance is!!!! My gorgeous houseless mortgage!!

This is the third time I've tried to understand the quantum mechanics section of my chemistry book and given up. I feel like my brain has completely shut down, and I've never felt so stupid in my life. This is only Gen Chem I for goodness sake. :/

This is the third time I've tried to understand the quantum mechanics section of my chemistry book and given up. I feel like my brain has completely shut down, and I've never felt so stupid in my life. This is only Gen Chem I for goodness sake. :/
Don't worry, no one understands QM. You can make peace with the math, accept that it gives you some eye popping results and happily forget about it when you're done with it. ;)

Haha, this doesn't even involve much math, though, at the level we're learning it. It's just memorizing what each quantum number represents in terms of orbitals or...something. I don't understand it, so I can't articulate it. :p Just really worried about failing the exam at this point, and I have a genetics exam I need to study for too. Going to lock myself in my bedroom with the book tomorrow and see if I can eventually make sense of it.
Best of luck! After four years of undergrad I have completely given up on the idea of being able to study in bed without falling asleep in an inappropriately short amount of time. ;)

And to stay on topic with the thread: my manager scheduled a one-on-one meeting with me for Friday. With the amount of internal re-orgs we've had recently, either he will be moving on somewhere else and I'll have a new boss, or I will be moved on and will be looking for another job soon. Yuck.

Worst prof of my life standing between me and med school. That is IF I get the funds from financial aid. Won't find out until May. Kind of in limbo for now.

Had to replace all 4 tires in the last few months. Headlight went out. A/C went out. Check engine light is on now. Wife has medical issues we may be facing in the near future. I just wish I could have had a fun, easygoing time after getting an acceptance but it seems like things just keep piling on.

Don't worry, no one understands QM. You can make peace with the math, accept that it gives you some eye popping results and happily forget about it when you're done with it. ;)
I was going to say, I never understood quantum mechanics, but fortunately you don't have to understand it as long as you can manipulate matrices and solve the eigenvectors. :laugh:

And to stay on topic with the thread: my manager scheduled a one-on-one meeting with me for Friday. With the amount of internal re-orgs we've had recently, either he will be moving on somewhere else and I'll have a new boss, or I will be moved on and will be looking for another job soon. Yuck.
Hey milski, so how did your meeting go today?

Hey milski, so how did your meeting go today?
Eh, turned out to be nothing. There is a big re-org going on, so it was mostly just to tell me what's up. With only one rejection left, it is pretty clear that I'll be working one more year before heading to med school. This is a part-time job, which was nice for the flexibility it has during undergrad. Once I'm done with classes in June, it will be a time to say goodbye. It is still one thing less to worry about over the next couple of months, so I'm actually glad it turned out that way.

How are you doing, any movement on the waitlists? :xf:Or is it too early to ask?

Eh, turned out to be nothing. There is a big re-org going on, so it was mostly just to tell me what's up. With only one rejection left, it is pretty clear that I'll be working one more year before heading to med school. This is a part-time job, which was nice for the flexibility it has during undergrad. Once I'm done with classes in June, it will be a time to say goodbye. It is still one thing less to worry about over the next couple of months, so I'm actually glad it turned out that way.

How are you doing, any movement on the waitlists? :xf:Or is it too early to ask?
Glad to hear it was nothing :)

Funny you should ask: I just literally seconds ago checked my application status and found I was accepted to Pitt! (Still on the waitlist at my pie in the sky school, but that one is highly unlikely and doesn't start moving till after May 15th.)

But I'm going off topic here :D

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to hear it was nothing :)

Funny you should ask: I just literally seconds ago checked my application status and found I was accepted to Pitt! (Still on the waitlist at my pie in the sky school, but that one is highly unlikely and doesn't start moving till after May 15th.)

But I'm going off topic here :D
Well, you can always complain that you are having a hard time choosing a school. :p

Well, you can always complain that you are having a hard time choosing a school. :p
Right. I may not even be risking my life doing that considering it's the non-trad forum and not pre-allo :p

Reactions: 4 users
I had to delete a paragraph of fury that I hope will die down before tomorrow so I can do something about it without flipping out.

It felt good to write it, though.

Last edited:
For all of the stories about how doctors just LOVE to mentor future doctors, I haven't seen it yet. Guess I can't really blame them for not wanting to be watched and followed around while they work. I wish there was a system in place to make it easier to find shadowing opportunities rather than this awkward, "Cold call and bug people" setup.

There is! :) It's called introducing yourself to everyone you meet on the hospital elevators with a smile and a firm handshake. "How are you (*furtively checks white coat*), Dr. So and So?" If they seem receptive to your friendly chit chat... "Do you ever allow students to shadow you? I hope to be in your shoes someday!" Some physicians will be grumpy and obviously not receptive to your inquiry, but many of 'em won't mind having you following them around. I never realized how many doors would open after I started volunteering at the hospital. Like you, I had limited success with cold calling.

ETA: Feeling crappy from being on a messed up sleep cycle since beginning MCAT prep last year. It's time to fix this mess! Trying melatonin tomorrow before progressing to anything stronger, ugh. Can't be a zombie any longer!

Last edited:
With only one rejection left, it is pretty clear that I'll be working one more year before heading to med school.

Hey! We're in the same boat. What kind of jobs are you looking at? I just got hired at the hospital. It is a relief to have things settled, in a way.

Got my last MD rejection letter this week. What a rough, exhausting, expensive 10 months this has been. Next time around I'm going to focus on more DO schools. Explaining bad grades from nearly 7 years ago is making me feel incredibly frustrated and disappointed and hopeless. MCAT studying feels like actual torture after coming home from work. I could use a vacation.

Hey! We're in the same boat. What kind of jobs are you looking at? I just got hired at the hospital. It is a relief to have things settled, in a way.
Most likely, back to being a software developer for a year. I have been thinking about getting some sort of entry level healthcare job (phlebotomist or something like that, I don't have any qualifications for something better) as a way to demonstrate commitment and interest but the difference in compensation makes it a rather irresponsible move. It also does not feel like a very useful thing to do from admissions point of view, although I am open to feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
Honeymoon period is over, had my first two rather crappy days at work this week.

Although as far as crappy days go it could've been a lot worse.

Worst prof of my life standing between me and med school. That is IF I get the funds from financial aid. Won't find out until May. Kind of in limbo for now.
A prof outright lied to my face today. Unbelievable.

Sorry you're in a mess like that, hope it turns out.

This is totally minor, but I need to vent. I've really been looking forward to a particular course this quarter. I've been wanting to take it for a while & I finally was able to fit it into my schedule with the professor I've been dying to take it with.

We had our 1st class this week & already 1 particular person is seriously getting on my nerves. She's extremely disruptive, interrupts lecture constantly & because her father is a physician, she feels she's able to talk down to the professor & the other people in the class. The professor is a bit on the meek side, so I doubt she's going to say anything & 2 people asked her to try to let the professor finish her thoughts before she interjects, to which she offered snide replies.

This is now the 2nd quarter in a row I've had someone like this in a class (last quarter it was TWO people) & while I'm trying to not let it get to me, it's so unbelievably annoying. All these people are fellow adult/non-trad pre-meds & I just expected more from them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I did this year - got a job in patient transport. It is extremely difficult to get any sort of entry level hospital job where I live, unless you have a family member already working within the system. I volunteered in PT for 5 months before lucking out and getting my foot in the door. I hope you have an easier time of it where you are.

Patient transport is a wonderful position to start out in. If you are a physically active "people person," you'll love it. If you're more of an introvert, it'd probably be a bit stressful. A couple of other popular entry level job are being an ER scribe, or a tech in Heart Central.

Last edited:
I'm about a month out from my MCAT date and I have not studied as much as I had planned. I'm pretty freaked out thinking about it and recently, I cannot find the motivation to study. Based on past experiences, I think I'm paralyzed with fear instead of burned out. le sigh...

I'm freezing my butt off tonight stranded outside in Harvard Square.

Earlier, I was studying with some friends and had the (almost correct) idea that the last bus left at 2:30am. Once at the bus stop, I saw my bus, but the lights were off and the bus driver looked as though he was trying to sleep. I had to pee really badly and it is cold tonight so I knocked on the door and asked the bus driver when the last bus, his bus, was going to leave. He clearly said 3:30. I repeated back, "Three three zero." He said, "yes." Thank goodness, I thought. I went to the nearest bathroom and returned to the bus stop way before 3:30. But the bus already left.

So, now I'm locked outside in the cold with no way home until morning. All the buildings are locked around here at night. At least my laptop gets Harvard's guest internet service so I can type this. Oh, and I just checked the time the last bus left and it is 2:40. This means that the bus driver who clearly told me 3:30, should have known that he was driving the last bus and that it left at 2:40. I don't like to think of people as liars, but I'm not sure what else to make of this. Complaint has already been written.

Edit: I'm on the 5:10am bus now. Just learned that many bus drivers are in a bad mood due to a new innovation on the buses. There's new security cameras that catch the head of the bus driver. Bus driver told me that even the passengers can see the bus driver's head and which way s/he's looking in live time as they head down the road. Some bus drivers think it's unsafe and makes them vulnerable to attack. Okay, now I'm not so mad at that 2:40 bus driver.

Edit #2: Just took the bus and yep, this new "security feature" is a bad idea. I doubt it will last.

Last edited:
How bout you call a cab?

Can't say it's the greatest idea to be riding buses in the middle of the night anyway, especially by yourself.

The #1 is a fairly safe bus. A cab would have been a great idea if it were a long wait for the next bus. But I stayed at the bus stop until 4am giving the benefit of the doubt to the bus driver who told me the last bus left at 3:30am. I stayed there in case it was late or held up somehow. The first bus in the morning arrived at 5:10am, so not that bad of a wait.

Normally I still would have taken a cab. I just feel so poor this year: I got nailed with a $1500 tax bill (originally $2000 before I dug and dug for itemized expenses). And I have to move (moving expenses, 1st, last, security, brokers fee, etc. > another $2000) due to a fume issue in my apartment. Me, being me, I can't stand to spend another cent until I make up for some of these awful expenses.

Last edited:
I'm a week and a half out from step 1. Feeling pretty burned out. Definetly the hardest part of med school so far. I get 3 weeks off afterwards though so looking forward to that.

I've been having a bad semester in general, however, reading this thread has made me feel much better.

I have this dingus of a Bio Professor and he calls us idiots from time to time because some kid decides to pull out his cell phone during lecture :/

I've been having a bad semester in general, however, reading this thread has made me feel much better.

I have this dingus of a Bio Professor and he calls us idiots from time to time because some kid decides to pull out his cell phone during lecture :/

Your professor calls you that? That's not very professional. :confused: Is cell phone usage a huge problem in your classes? I guess intro bio is a course without as many super focused pre-meds as, say, Orgo II.

Hope your semester improves. :)

Your professor calls you that? That's not very professional. :confused: Is cell phone usage a huge problem in your classes? I guess intro bio is a course without as many super focused pre-meds as, say, Orgo II.

Hope your semester improves. :)

Ohh man, that isn't even the half of it! I agree, very unprofessional. He has most of the class so scared of him they refuse to answer questions. Then he proceeds to go on some angry tirade. It's definitely an adventure...

Thanks for your kind words though! :happy: