Who Else Feels Great

Started by mafunk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel great that tomorrow is my last day for finals although due to hurricane Sandy we barely had anytime to study for the finals since they had to rearrange all the schedules.

And also feeling great BESIDES the fact that this semester was not great for me and definitely not going as i planned.

But still managing to move forward!
 
Just finished my ~ 2 year postbacc with a 4.0!
It feels good...

App season can't come soon enough 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feeling "Great" might be a little much, because I am SO exhausted right now.

But at this point, I am one pre-req away (OChem2) from finishing my self-guided postbac with a 4.0, and that feels great.

I am ecstatic that my drive to finish has only increased as I've progressed through the classes and I'm elated that next semester will be my first semester I don't have to work full time, and I finally get to take some upper level classes like developmental biology and bioethics, just because I want to. It should be a good year.
 
So, two shifts in my side gig is proving to be all kinds of awesome. It's volunteering meets clinical research meets shadowing and direct patient interaction all rolled into one. Plus it's meeting the field experience required for my grad program. Since we do some of the studies in the critical/trauma bays and have to stay for the whole case we basically stand and watch the docs work through all of these crazy cases and follow them to CT and whatnot too. I've observed 6 of those so far just in my two shifts on top of doing my data collection and other duties. Plus we get to attend the weekly interesting case conferences, which is always a great experience. All this and I stumbled across it about 3 weeks before the application was due.

😀
 
Congrats! That's exciting. A lot of blood, sweat n' tears went into that I'm sure. Are you taking the mcat soon?

I took the MCAT last fall and did well (balanced 34)

The last few years have definitely been tough, but a successful cycle will make it all worth it. Some days I feel like I will definitely get in, others I feel like I won't get a single interview. Kinda have a feeling this will be a long year.:scared:

Good luck to all my fellow nontrads this year! :luck:
 
Walked out of the MCAT 2 weeks ago feeling good, nothing blew me away and it seemed easier than any of the practice problems. Plus, we had our first Physics 2 test and I beat the average by almost 20 points before the curve!
 
Got a 94 on my first genetics test while concurrently doing well in all my MS classes, writing my thesis and TA'ing! 90 hour weeks aren't a ton of fun, but they do pay off!
 
Post night shift, and it's blizzarding out. But I have no obligations and can sleep as long as I want to today with no alarm clock. Blizzards make for pretty darn good sleep-during-the-day weather..

🙂 😴





(PS apparently blizzarding isn't a real word, but it darn well should be 😉. )
 
Post night shift, and it's blizzarding out. But I have no obligations and can sleep as long as I want to today with no alarm clock. Blizzards make for pretty darn good sleep-during-the-day weather..

🙂 😴





(PS apparently blizzarding isn't a real word, but it darn well should be 😉. )

I COMPLETELY agree with this 👍 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an acute-care, hospital-based, speech-language pathologist. This is my first semester starting pre-reqs for med school. I was feeling nervous, excited, insecure, happy, scared... I got a 95% on my first chemistry exam and a 98% on my first biology exam. Today I found out I got a 100% on my chem lab midterm. That's just the encouragement I needed! Here's hoping I can keep this up! 😀
 
I am an acute-care, hospital-based, speech-language pathologist. This is my first semester starting pre-reqs for med school. I was feeling nervous, excited, insecure, happy, scared... I got a 95% on my first chemistry exam and a 98% on my first biology exam. Today I found out I got a 100% on my chem lab midterm. That's just the encouragement I needed! Here's hoping I can keep this up! 😀

:highfive:
 
I am an acute-care, hospital-based, speech-language pathologist. This is my first semester starting pre-reqs for med school. I was feeling nervous, excited, insecure, happy, scared... I got a 95% on my first chemistry exam and a 98% on my first biology exam. Today I found out I got a 100% on my chem lab midterm. That's just the encouragement I needed! Here's hoping I can keep this up! 😀

Well done. 😀
 
Really busy day in my ED gig this week with extra shifts, even booked a hotel room in the other city for a night. Saw some interesting cases & procedures and quite a few of the residents were in even more of a teaching mood than usual so that was fun.

Really cool part though was an older doc in street clothes walked into the level 1 area and was checking out one of the intubation simulators. The residents flagged him down to ask him about a pediatric case and he went into full teaching mode and really seemed to enjoy that role and the residents seemed to really like and respect him also, so I decided to keep an eye out for him.

A little while later I noticed him trying something with a camera and the intubation simulator and he noticed me watching him, winked at me, and flagged me over. He asked me some questions and then talked quite a bit about what he was doing, different strategies for tubing someone, etc.

Thought the guy seemed cool so I decided to google him. So apparently here I am, MPH student with a very strong interest in global health and ID stuff unknowingly getting some teaching tidbits from non other than the former president of the US branch of Doctors Without Borders, an organization I spent a lot of time dreaming about working for 😱
 
Hasta la vista holding warm mucous-y bloody placentas, robotic hysterectomies, speculums, colposcopies, and being handed slides smeared w/ lady funk!

6 weeks of OB/GYN...DONE!!!! That feels great!!!!

Onward to IM!
 
I just found out that my old French class takes care of the speech requirement and I have another old course that satisfied my technical writing class. I feel great that I dodged speech class and I now have more time to study MCAT.
 
Found out yesterday that I got my first acceptance to medical school! I only applied to five because of finances, and beat myself up so much over that and my insecurities about my application that I didn't get those secondaries in until after the New Year - talk about late!

Anyway, I got two interviews at allopathic schools right away, and was accepted six weeks later. I have to wait two weeks to hear from the other school. Either way, I am going to be an MD. Woo hoo!

Awesome news. Congrats!
 
I feel pretty good. I just finished my cup of coffee and I have Friday off this week. What! What! Three day weekend! 🙂
 
Feeling great! Lately I've had this feeling... like I just KNOW I'm going to be a physician. Like come heck or high water I will figure out how to get accepted and how to succeed.

Anyone else feeling hopeful and good?

I'm 43 years old and have some serious bad grades from 25 years ago. But I feel like the good Lord is really helping me pursue this dream of being a physician. Why do I say that?

Ok, so it's not all wine and roses. For example I struggled with my Gen Chem II grade. BUT it's been my unwillingness to let this hold me back that has helped me feel even better about this path.

I'm excelling in bio and physics. And, based upon my preliminary O-Chem work I find it much more enjoyable than Gen Chem II.

Ok... so what... that is just academic stuff. Now what I feel really 'blessed' about.


  • Someone I barely know gave me a free MCAT test prep course.
  • I've been volunteering at a medical clinic in town and they are so incredibly nice. It's such a joy to volunteer with people who truly care about others.
  • I see that others are having a hard time finding shadowing opportunities. Somehow I have more shadowing invitations than I could possibly pursue.
  • I lucked out and now get to sit in on second year med school classes on a regular basis. I find it very inspiring... and I'm learning alot
  • A new free medical clinic is opening in town. I spotted them while driving by one day. I called them to volunteer as a medical assistant. Today is my first day of training! What is so awesome is that tons of folks have called wanting to volunteer and somehow I lucked out and got the 'job'. Also nobody at the clinic gets paid, which I like as it keeps the mission 'pure'. The founders are awesome people. I was also able to use my previous skills to build them a nice website, facebook page, twitter account and printed marketing materials.
  • This will be my third year in a row offering yoga fundraisers. I get to help an environmental cause while enjoying a lush, tropical Florida setting.
  • In my volunteer work I get to help people truly in need, all the while getting awesome, hands on patient care experience.
  • This sounds so corny, but I love working with the patients. It is so rewarding to be able to help folks in such a tangible way. One reason I know this is the right path for me is the work invigorates me, rather than draining me. Plus, even when I'm asked to do menial tasks I do them with joy... I never feel put out.
  • And, not to brag (ok I'm bragging)... but I'm really good with patients. I know how to 'reach' them... connect... get them to smile AND to be compliant.
  • Oh... and one more thing. I never used to get sick. Then for the past couple of years any time I was around anyone even with a sneeze I would catch it. Now I never get sick. At my volunteer work I'm around sick folks all day (been volunteering for 7 months) and I never catch it...never. I think it is some kind of 'good karma' shield.
OK, who else is feeling awesome and hopeful?

Your post made me feel great too 🙂
 
Really busy day in my ED gig this week with extra shifts, even booked a hotel room in the other city for a night. Saw some interesting cases & procedures and quite a few of the residents were in even more of a teaching mood than usual so that was fun.

Really cool part though was an older doc in street clothes walked into the level 1 area and was checking out one of the intubation simulators. The residents flagged him down to ask him about a pediatric case and he went into full teaching mode and really seemed to enjoy that role and the residents seemed to really like and respect him also, so I decided to keep an eye out for him.

A little while later I noticed him trying something with a camera and the intubation simulator and he noticed me watching him, winked at me, and flagged me over. He asked me some questions and then talked quite a bit about what he was doing, different strategies for tubing someone, etc.

Thought the guy seemed cool so I decided to google him. So apparently here I am, MPH student with a very strong interest in global health and ID stuff unknowingly getting some teaching tidbits from non other than the former president of the US branch of Doctors Without Borders, an organization I spent a lot of time dreaming about working for 😱
Awesome!! 🙂
 
I spent almost 30 years living someone else's life; doing jobs; classes and things I hated.
Always wondering; always wanting to go into medicine and mom always saying no. Fast forward a new Therapist; some treatment and realizing I have to live my life the way I choose. There is no guarantee to getting into Med school but in two months of making the decision I have already been accepted into a post Bach to complete pre-req's starting in June.

I have a year of pre-req course work (my UGPA when recalculated might be better than thought and my Masters GPA is a solid 4.0). I have some money saved; I will be moving half way across the country in less than a month to live in a place I have only dreamed of. I have no job lined up, no friends or family waiting and no idea what to expect and for once in my life tomorrow can't come soon enough. If I never made this decision to at-least try it would haunt me for the rest of my life as it has already haunted me up until this point.

So yeah; for that I feel great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Coworker wanted to swap shifts, wanted to say no cuz she always shoots me down when I ask her, even when I had my stupid Saturday final. But I realized if I could get her to take my Sunday in trade I'd wind up with 6 days off of work in a row!! Still have my field experience and other stuff so I can't really go anywhere, but very happy for unexpected the break.
 
I spent almost 30 years living someone else's life; doing jobs; classes and things I hated.
Always wondering; always wanting to go into medicine and mom always saying no. Fast forward a new Therapist; some treatment and realizing I have to live my life the way I choose. There is no guarantee to getting into Med school but in two months of making the decision I have already been accepted into a post Bach to complete pre-req's starting in June.

I have a year of pre-req course work (my UGPA when recalculated might be better than thought and my Masters GPA is a solid 4.0). I have some money saved; I will be moving half way across the country in less than a month to live in a place I have only dreamed of. I have no job lined up, no friends or family waiting and no idea what to expect and for once in my life tomorrow can't come soon enough. If I never made this decision to at-least try it would haunt me for the rest of my life as it has already haunted me up until this point.

So yeah; for that I feel great!

Congrats to having the guts to see a therapist. I tell a lot of people who ask me how my non-trad path got away from medicine, and I always mention that I don't feel like it's a coincidence that I was accepted to med school after I had a few months of therapy. That was how I felt at my lowest point that drove me to seek therapy.

Also, I retract my previous post of feeling great about finishing OB. IM is teh sucks. 🙁
 
shockingly got an a on my biochemistry exam. i was convinced i crapped the bed on this one, i invented a reaction by which glutamate got cleaved into proprionoic acid and glycine, magically converted the acid into pyruvate, and then went on to get the right answer, despite the manifest incompetence to get there. if i were the prof I'd have kicked my ass out just for writing that garbage out. maybe it's a mistake, but gosh I'm relieved
 
shockingly got an a on my biochemistry exam. i was convinced i crapped the bed on this one, i invented a reaction by which glutamate got cleaved into proprionoic acid and glycine, magically converted the acid into pyruvate, and then went on to get the right answer, despite the manifest incompetence to get there. if i were the prof I'd have kicked my ass out just for writing that garbage out. maybe it's a mistake, but gosh I'm relieved

Congrats and stop doubting yourself. Do not belittle your accomplishments.
 
Art show tomorrow. Slightly nervous. It's at an alumni fundraiser so there's a spendy dinner that I didn't really feel like paying to go to where I wouldn't know anyone.

However we got an email that some generous alumna decided to pay for all the student artists meals. 😱 So I decided to stay for the dinner after all. This is my first non-vacation Friday night off work in probably a year. 😎
 
Chillin out, watching the wings game, eating kim chee and drinking beer. Still basking in the end of the semester, still have the buzz from my mcat score. Man I just feel awesome right now. Life is good.
 
Just completed the last meaningful exam of first year. Glad to be done, and looking forward to my last summer without working (at least for quite a while). One more cumulative end-of-year exam that does not affect my promotion to year two or my class standing, and that is it for the year!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just completed the last meaningful exam of first year. Glad to be done, and looking forward to my last summer without working (at least for quite a while). One more cumulative end-of-year exam that does not affect my promotion to year two or my class standing, and that is it for the year!

*sigh* Not a bad sigh. I am just feeling a rush of emotion as I think back to finishing the last exam of 1st year. CONGRATS!!!! You should be very proud of your achievement. (And look, your head did NOT explode after all like we think it will 😛)

My advice is to use every ounce of your free time...to be FREE!! 2nd year is HELLACIOUS! You will wish for idle endeavor time quite a few x's when school kicks up again.

Also, congrats on the A in biochem, docelh. 👍

Now stay off the forums and enjoy paradise!
 
12 days ago I was clearing 20 inches of snow off my driveway. Right now it's 92 degrees out.

I'm on the homestretch winding down and my state just passed a pretty cool bill. All in all looking like a good week here. 😎
 
Finally done with neuro, feels great I don't have to deal with anatomy for a while.