Who Else Feels Great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mrs. Sazerac gave birth to a little shot of whiskey last night. Both mom and baby are doing great.

His timing was impeccable. He waited to be poured until after Step 1 but before third year rotations.

Medicine has been so abstract and academic these last two years. It was nice to see first-hand how the medical disciplines of physiology, microbiology, hematology, and pharmacology can be used to treat a patient. Or create one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Mrs. Sazerac gave birth to a little shot of whiskey last night. Both mom and baby are doing great.

His timing was impeccable. He waited to be poured until after Step 1 but before third year rotations.

Medicine has been so abstract and academic these last two years. It was nice to see first-hand how the medical disciplines of physiology, microbiology, hematology, and pharmacology can be used to treat a patient. Or create one.

Congrats to you and the mrs!!! Enjoy your little prince :)

Sitting here finishing up my last day ever in the corporate world. These last ten years are going to serve as ample fuel to motivate my success in med school.

Classes start in August. I'm going on my first vacation in six years next week....today is a great day!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surprise curve in one of my classes brought my final grade from an 85% to a 96%. I spent the whole semester worrying for nothing, it is such a relief.

Reactions: 5 users
Got my acceptance phone call at 1400 today! Asked my partner on the ambulance "was that real? I'm not asleep on the couch at the station, right?"

Reactions: 10 users
Purchased a home in my new city! Inspection this afternoon, close in a month if all goes ok. Looking at a fifteen minute bicycle commute to school, and a ten minute drive to my wife's work.

Excited about all the stuff I'm going to do to it, if I find time... Anyone know how to install a dishwasher??

Another semester over! I finally feel like I'm making progress! Doing Ochem over the summer, and reserved a seat for a Jan MCAT! Yeah!

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished the last exam of my second year of medical school. Half way done, and two years from now I will be graduating with an MD. Now to focus in on Step 1 prep....

Reactions: 1 users
I know when I started back on this journey 2 years ago I was in a rush. Then life happened! I finally figured out why I had a hard time with my science coursework and life in general. 10 years post undergrad. 2 years after starting back on this journey. Anyways, I finally am really back on track. Anyways, don't be in a rush to get your classes done. Any please resolve any underlying medical issues as well. Feeling happy.

Ladies and gentlemen it is with great pride I officially announce the following;

No
more
SHORT
White
Coat
EVER!!!!!

Bye bye clincal rotations :)

Reactions: 6 users
Love this thread!!

I'm feeling fantastic about life. I'm starting a new job in a week and a half that I'm excited for! I'm on track with MCAT studying and am overall in a good place in life right now. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all i would like to congratulate you for your determination to excel in life. So do the best for every patient & society.

Great thread!
I started last fall, it was hard at the beginning, but great feeling to be there.
I hope this semester will turn out as good as the last one :)

Awesome thread!! I have been feeling grateful for two opportunities I have been given in the last week. I was offered a position as a Intro. Bio Lab Instructor. Two days later, I was asked if I would like to be the Lab Coordinator for my research lab! Very thankful for these opportunities, especially since they will help counteract my slightly low GPA!

I'm feeling more optimistic about our housing situation than I have in a while. Our house value has gone up quite a bit the past few months, and may allow for us to refiniance and eliminate our mortgage insurance. If this goes through we can lower our payment by several hundred a month. May be just the space we need to rent it at not-a-loss and make our finances work for med school... fingers crossed!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm feeling more optimistic about our housing situation than I have in a while. Our house value has gone up quite a bit the past few months, and may allow for us to refiniance and eliminate our mortgage insurance. If this goes through we can lower our payment by several hundred a month. May be just the space we need to rent it at not-a-loss and make our finances work for med school... fingers crossed!

That's great news! Crossing my fingers for you too!

I'll admit it, I'm totally bragging on this. Got my garden planted, lots of veggies and some herbs, even taking a crack at growing melons this year. Garden is roughly 375 square feet, which is bigger than my first apartment. Might go bigger next year. Nothing like fresh veggies after a ridiculous winter.

Also, no torn ligaments visible in my knee MRI, so hopefully I'll be able to get a couple months biking in this summer after all.

I'll admit it, I'm totally bragging on this. Got my garden planted, lots of veggies and some herbs, even taking a crack at growing melons this year. Garden is roughly 375 square feet, which is bigger than my first apartment. Might go bigger next year. Nothing like fresh veggies after a ridiculous winter.

Also, no torn ligaments visible in my knee MRI, so hopefully I'll be able to get a couple months biking in this summer after all.
You could do some biking this winter too if you come visit. On the beach even. :D

I found out this morning that I passed Step 2 CK, which was my last real hurdle to getting my M.D. on the accelerated track. Tomorrow is my last day at medical school and I start my residency in 12 days. After tomorrow, it will be Dr. LegallyInsane. Happy? -- Hell ya.

Closed on a house up north. Med school lodgings are set! Bike ride to school is about fifteen minutes, per Google maps. Wonder how far into autumn I can keep that up!

Booked a ticket on the auto train to get to my new home for at least the first two years of medical school. Still will be driving 4+ hours on either end, but I'm nevertheless excited for the journey.

Got a fully furnished apartment within a 7-minute drive to school. It's furnished down to the trash cans and wall art! I hate setting up house so this is a blessing. About to sell off the contents of my house up north, attempt to refinance and see if I can find a renter to break even every month.

I can't believe it's less than a month until I move and less than two months before school starts! So far I've been on this journey for five years. I can't believe I'm just *starting*.

I'm so happy for you and I'm so happy that some posted this. I have been feeling the same way. I feel like I'm getting so close to my dreams. I know that there still will be struggles a long the way but there are so many more positive in my life. I know the feeling that you are having, being able to shadow awesome physicians and opportunities are opening up. I been there too.

-Since 2010 I have not stopped my journey of building my resume and one day having a shot as a medical student.
-My first ever experience was interning at a County hospital where the physician I shadowed gave me his schedule and let me shadow him any time he was on the schedule. I must have came like every time he was there. I assisted him sometimes just little things, when he did lumbar puncture. When he did screening. it was fun. It was really then that I became interested. as years go on, in college I changed my major became a health education major and started taking med school pre-reqs. Fall of 2011, I had an awesome chance to be a Teachers assistant for Anatomy. My lab had 6 fresh cadavers that students would dissect from skin to organs. It was awesome and I was able to teach students learn muscles insertions, origins and etc. I worked in that lab for over 2 1/2 years. This lab opened so much for me I became a published author after working on a independent study and presenting our poster in Boston. Fall of 2011 I got an awesome opportunity to participate in a program that lets you shadow surgeons. My anatomy background made me interested in surgery and so, I explored rotated through 12 surgical services. I learned to appreciate vascular surgeons and neurosurgeons. At least at the hospital I was interning they mentored me and I loved it. I really admired there work. I finally graduated with my undergraduate degree this past may and I am so excited. I'm waiting for an interview for a post-bac program at Charles R. Drew. I applied for other program too but, I'm particularly excited about Charles Drew. Right now, I just had a son his four months old now and he gives me life and so much motivation I love him. I am a single mother but, its OK. I just cant see my self doing anything else. I'm anxious, nervous, happy and look forward to the future. There will be challenges but, I think I can make it as long as I keep my eye on the prize and work my butt offf!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ feeling great!

Just got my annual performance eval. to review before meeting with my supervisor. It's focused on my new position I stared in Feb. and involves getting anonymous feedback from my colleagues, one of whom was the medical director overseeing my first project. They have to list what you're doing well and opportunities for improvement.

Good news, don't think they are going fire me :) People seem to think I'm doing a very good job, got tons of comments about things I'm doing well and the most negative feedback was just to continue learning and growing in the new role. Very grateful as I'm really happy in this position. Plus, kinda needed to hear that stuff this week as it's been a bit rough in other areas.

Another semester over! I finally feel like I'm making progress! Doing Ochem over the summer, and reserved a seat for a Jan MCAT! Yeah!

I like summer courses, they move so much faster! Have so far survived Ochem 1, final next week. Hopefully I won't have to post in the OTHER thread next week! ;)

This would be better suited to a neither I feel great or feel crappy thread.. But I'm going for great cuz that's how I'm hoping I'll feel when it's over.......

Finally registered for the MCAT :confused:

Here's hoping stuff I studied over 12 years ago comes back to me during my review in time for the test.

Went through college in an Asian country thinking my grades were crap (never failed, though) as I was very dedicated to my extra curriculars, with gunners (no ECs though) as my best friends.

Been applying to undergrad schools here in the U.S. and getting feedback that my transcript was quite strong really made my day.

First day in clinic as dr mommy2three tomorrow!!! Excited then nervous then excited!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Good luck! Be sure and tell us about it.

i managed to see my one patient and figure out the EMR and do the superbill with little to no assistance so yay me :)

we also did a team building activity this afternoon that was a high ropes course which means yours truly was strung up by ropes on high wires walking and swinging some 30 feet in the air - and if you knew how uncomfortable yours truly can be on a tall ferris wheel you would know how huge this was for me

but i am back on terra firma and happy to be here :)

Husband got a job offer today in the area of our new home, feeling relieved!

After an epic six week struggle, though I feel battered and bruised, I came through the dungeon that was Organic 1 summer. I killed the monsters. I took their stuff. A night of rest and a good meal, time to move on to the next one.

Winding up my first project of my new position. It was an adventure.

Currently enjoying a three day weekend.

Lastly, got a letter that I got in to see an orthopedic surgeon for my knee. Course it's three weeks from now and I'll probably be better by then since I injured myself back in May :p but maybe I can score a good brace and some increased stability and injury prevention out of the deal.

Just told my 91 year old grandma that I registered for the MCAT. Then I explained what it was and she asked a few questions about what was on the test and how you'd study for that. I told her I had a huge stack of books and so on. Then she just starts talking about how taking a train is better than driving. :eyebrow: Then she went on about the train for a while. I said, "Grandma, what are you talking about?" She goes, "Well you're taking it in X (other town) aren't you?" I said "No, it's here in Z." Then she goes, "But you said you were taking the Amtrak." :smack:

"No, No, grandma I said I was taking the MCAT, M-C-A-T, that's the name of the test."

"oh," she says and starts laughing. :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
My husband and I FINALLY have a home to move to near the school I'll be attending, and my husband starts a great new job in two weeks. I resigned from my job of over 7 years today - bittersweet, as I love my coworkers, but the work itself is just not for me. Some tears shed today but also getting excited for this new chapter I'm about to begin. I start my cross-country drive with two dogs in tow in ~10 days - this stuff is getting real, yo!

Stacking up tallies in the win column this year. Another two bio courses down in the condensed summer classes with another couple A's... That's a running total of 5 courses, 17 semester hours, and a 4.0 in 2014 with several great relationships built with professors/potential letter writers... The weekend came, I was treated to a wonderful visit with my mother, then the best wedding ever (seriously) to blow off all the accumulated steam with all my good friends I've replaced with books in my life. Now I'm right into the condensed summer o-chem course, recharged and ready.

Just told my 91 year old grandma that I registered for the MCAT. Then I explained what it was and she asked a few questions about what was on the test and how you'd study for that. I told her I had a huge stack of books and so on. Then she just starts talking about how taking a train is better than driving. :eyebrow: Then she went on about the train for a while. I said, "Grandma, what are you talking about?" She goes, "Well you're taking it in X (other town) aren't you?" I said "No, it's here in Z." Then she goes, "But you said you were taking the Amtrak." :smack:

"No, No, grandma I said I was taking the MCAT, M-C-A-T, that's the name of the test."

"oh," she says and starts laughing. :rofl:
:laugh: :highfive: for grandma.

I made my first house call yesterday for my little niece after my sister called me from work in a panic because the nanny had called her to say the baby was sick and not acting like her usual self. She was a little sniffly and congested but otherwise totally fine. I showed the nanny how to bulb suction her nose and said, "congrats, she has her first cold." Which is "catarro" en espanol.

Good job! Knock it outta the park Quik!

Also, good to see a familiar face. Glad to know I'm not the only slow poke still kickin it around here in premed status :p

Thank you! Yep, we'll be hangin out around here together for a while ;) Are you applying this cycle?

ps. Great story about your grandmother; and good luck with the amtrak.

Thank you! Yep, we'll be hangin out around here together for a while ;) Are you applying this cycle?

ps. Great story about your grandmother; and good luck with the amtrak.

I'm shooting for June 2016. I'll finish my MPH summer 2015. I'll hopefully be able to unload my house by then. If I escape sooner, then I could go in 2015 possibly provided the ..er...Amtrak goes well. Lol., but there's no way I'm going to be an absentee landlord for this place.

What timeline are you looking at?

I should be app ready by next June, possibly July (my anticipated Amtrak test date) provided all falls into place as planned.

Feeling great! Lately I've had this feeling... like I just KNOW I'm going to be a physician. Like come heck or high water I will figure out how to get accepted and how to succeed.

Anyone else feeling hopeful and good?

I'm 43 years old and have some serious bad grades from 25 years ago. But I feel like the good Lord is really helping me pursue this dream of being a physician. Why do I say that?

Ok, so it's not all wine and roses. For example I struggled with my Gen Chem II grade. BUT it's been my unwillingness to let this hold me back that has helped me feel even better about this path.

I'm excelling in bio and physics. And, based upon my preliminary O-Chem work I find it much more enjoyable than Gen Chem II.

Ok... so what... that is just academic stuff. Now what I feel really 'blessed' about.

• Someone I barely know gave me a free MCAT test prep course.
  • I've been volunteering at a medical clinic in town and they are so incredibly nice. It's such a joy to volunteer with people who truly care about others.
  • I see that others are having a hard time finding shadowing opportunities. Somehow I have more shadowing invitations than I could possibly pursue.
  • I lucked out and now get to sit in on second year med school classes on a regular basis. I find it very inspiring... and I'm learning alot
  • A new free medical clinic is opening in town. I spotted them while driving by one day. I called them to volunteer as a medical assistant. Today is my first day of training! What is so awesome is that tons of folks have called wanting to volunteer and somehow I lucked out and got the 'job'. Also nobody at the clinic gets paid, which I like as it keeps the mission 'pure'. The founders are awesome people. I was also able to use my previous skills to build them a nice website, facebook page, twitter account and printed marketing materials.
  • This will be my third year in a row offering yoga fundraisers. I get to help an environmental cause while enjoying a lush, tropical Florida setting.
  • In my volunteer work I get to help people truly in need, all the while getting awesome, hands on patient care experience.
  • This sounds so corny, but I love working with the patients. It is so rewarding to be able to help folks in such a tangible way. One reason I know this is the right path for me is the work invigorates me, rather than draining me. Plus, even when I'm asked to do menial tasks I do them with joy... I never feel put out.
  • And, not to brag (ok I'm bragging)... but I'm really good with patients. I know how to 'reach' them... connect... get them to smile AND to be compliant.
  • Oh... and one more thing. I never used to get sick. Then for the past couple of years any time I was around anyone even with a sneeze I would catch it. Now I never get sick. At my volunteer work I'm around sick folks all day (been volunteering for 7 months) and I never catch it...never. I think it is some kind of 'good karma' shield.
OK, who else is feeling awesome and hopeful?

Okay this post was 3 years ago but YEEEEEEEEEES, great post!
I've been feeling so secure and relieved ever since deciding that this is the path I'm going to go on :) Even though it will be one of the hardest career choices etc. I'm sooo excited for the process and outcome :)

Ended my Friday on a pretty positive note. Medical Director number 2 (D#2) was down in the lab, stopped by my desk and asked if she could talk to me for a few minutes. She asked if I could pull up my outline for project number 2. We talked about an edit to the procedure, I agreed then she said she had just a few other minor edits and said if I could make those and send her the document, she'd sign it right away. She said it looked really good.

The outline in this case is a very detailed description of how I'm going to carry out each evaluation study for this diagnostic test. It has to meet all kinds of regulatory guidelines, etc and has to be signed by the medical director. D#2 is known for being kind of a perfectionist and making lots of edits, as well as taking months to sign these outlines. I'd just submitted it a week ago.

So I quick made the changes and shot her an email to the document for electronic signature.

She sends me this as a reply:

"It is signed. Thank you.

Again, I have to tell you that this outline was excellent – well written, you paid attention to detail, contained all the pertinent information, and easy for me to review and sign off quickly. Keep going like this WH – you are doing a great job!"

So I go to tell my supervisor that the outline is signed and I'll be able to start right away. Before I say anything she goes, "Congrats on getting the outline signed!" I was like, "huh? how'd you know about that?" She goes, "cuz D#2 cc'd me on the email she sent you."

We don't send notice about outlines to the supervisor, ever. So apparently the director wanted my boss to know she thinks I'm doing a great job..... :shy:

Just finished calculus over summer semester with an A+. I struggled with the teachers approach and used every possible resource to try to understand the ideas. Whew! One more class down. WOOO HOOOO! Feeling good!

Passed all the exams for this year!
Thank god I will have time to relax...