Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HuyetKiem said:
is Toronto on other side of buffalo ?

Yep.. Toronto is about a 1.5 hour drive from Buffalo.

You have to take the I-90 east from Cleveland, drive to Buffalo, cross the border at either the Peace Bridge (Buffalo) or Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls), and go up the Queen Elizabeth Way to TO.

HTH!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Tom....

any good Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant there ? I heard it has Chinatown. is it true ?

HuyetKiem said:
Hey Derek, you play pool bro ?

No, but if I live there it will be a good way to start! :D

Was the the fraternity housing list with the housing package, because I didn't get one, so I don't know how their house looks like.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Musketeer said:
No, but if I live there it will be a good way to start! :D

Was the the fraternity housing list with the housing package, because I didn't get one, so I don't know how their house looks like.

Click into my previous links about Delts's house. I think you haven't received the latest package yet.

HuyetKiem said:
Thanks Tom....

any good Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant there ? I heard it has Chinatown. is it true ?

Yes, there is a Chinatown in downtown, but I am assuming it is only 1 block big (like NY). However, if you come up to Toronto, you can have the luxury of visiting 'China-City', aka Richmond Hill, where you can eat any asian style of food you want (Korean BBQ, Japanese all-you-can-eat, Chinese....).

If you want to find some good places to visit, check out: www.toronto.com

HuyetKiem said:
Click into my previous links about Delts's house. I think you haven't received the latest package yet.

Yes, I seen that outside picture you've sent. Damn I guess they have good air-mail system to Vietnam because I am just 4.5 hrs away and still haven't received the second package!

Hi guys! This is Carla Miller and I am also going to case this year. I just found out about this forum from my new housemate Ann Marie, so I thought I would say "hi". I can't wait to move up to cleveland and get started. Everyone keeps telling me this will be even better than college, so I can't wait :)

The Musketeer said:
Yes, there is a Chinatown in downtown, but I am assuming it is only 1 block big (like NY). However, if you come up to Toronto, you can have the luxury of visiting 'China-City', aka Richmond Hill, where you can eat any asian style of food you want (Korean BBQ, Japanese all-you-can-eat, Chinese....).

If you want to find some good places to visit, check out: www.toronto.com

Chinatown is not as big in Toronto as the one in NYC. HOwever, yes, Richmond Hill and Markham, "China-City." It's pretty much New Asia up there, the prices are comparable with the food in downtown, it's pretty cheap to eat at most Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants in general. It is a much more affluent area than many places in Toronto as well. Cleaner and nicer than downtown Toronto. However, there are more Vietnamese places in Chinatown especially recently since many places in Chinatown are Vietnamese owned. A good Vietnamese restaurant in downtown would be this place we refer to as "The Train." not sure it's formal name but it features the train and it is known as the Train Station in Chinese.

In my opinion, the best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown would be "Lee Garden," but it might be a bit more expensive than your average Chinese place. Still cheap.

Toronto is a very nice city to have a vacation. It is much cleaner than most cities in the US and the crime rates are significantly lower. Enjoy your visit.

millercd4 said:
Hi guys! This is Carla Miller and I am also going to case this year. I just found out about this forum from my new housemate Ann Marie, so I thought I would say "hi". I can't wait to move up to cleveland and get started. Everyone keeps telling me this will be even better than college, so I can't wait :)

Hi carla,

Nice to hear from you. Which apartment are you going to live at ?

Woodsy said:
Chinatown is not as big in Toronto as the one in NYC. HOwever, yes, Richmond Hill and Markham, "China-City." It's pretty much New Asia up there, the prices are comparable with the food in downtown, it's pretty cheap to eat at most Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants in general. It is a much more affluent area than many places in Toronto as well. Cleaner and nicer than downtown Toronto. However, there are more Vietnamese places in Chinatown especially recently since many places in Chinatown are Vietnamese owned. A good Vietnamese restaurant in downtown would be this place we refer to as "The Train." not sure it's formal name but it features the train and it is known as the Train Station in Chinese.

In my opinion, the best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown would be "Lee Garden," but it might be a bit more expensive than your average Chinese place. Still cheap.

Toronto is a very nice city to have a vacation. It is much cleaner than most cities in the US and the crime rates are significantly lower. Enjoy your visit.

Thanks Woodsy for you helpful info. I have a quick question. Can I pay with US dollars over there or I have to exchange them ?

Do we have to collect extracted teeth ? anybody know ?

Members don't see this ad :)
jmac81 said:
Id definitely say high DAT, but I actually got a 17 and 18, and I was accepted Dec. 1. Just apply early...when i interviewed, second week of interviews, the students told me that its pretty tough not to get in if you interview within the first month or so, just what i heard though.

I cannot believe you got in with such a low score. What was your GPA like?

Hi Guys!

My name is Pam Kamolpechara, and I am going to CWRU dental school too. I am still looking for a roommate! I don't care about gender. I am mainly looking for a roommate who is sociable, laughs a lot, and genuine. Anyone looking for a roommate too should call me at 614-271-5005 or email me at [email protected]. Talk to ya'll later!

<3
Pam

PS - I think meeting up at a bar is a fantastic idea. :)

DDS-

Had a 3.6 gpa, lots of research experience (worked on 3 different grants, had research published), and I think I had some strong LOR's.

Look forward to meeting you guys soon...what bar we thinking about?

I signed a lease at the triangle, anyone else living there?

jmac81 said:
I signed a lease at the triangle, anyone else living there?

I signed a lease for a studio at the triangle too. Man, it's hard to get 1 junior bedroom over there. I was on waiting list for 3 months already.

Hey guys it is great to see this thread take off so well. I thought maby it would only get a few hits. I will be moving into the Waldorf with my new roomate jeremey. Is anyone living there. Also are we meeting at a bar when we get there?/where. I would be up for hosting an open house if my roomate is down with that.

HI guys,

Am sooo worried about the rental thing... I asked an agent yesterday and she told me that by the time I will go which is June 9, mpst appartments will be taken ouch!!!

what do you think?? which of these areas are good to live in shaker heights, cleveland heights or university heights??

Cheers,
Jehan :D

HuyetKiem said:
Thanks Woodsy for you helpful info. I have a quick question. Can I pay with US dollars over there or I have to exchange them ?
You should exchange them for CDN dollars.

Hi guys,
I was wondering if there are any people who are from california and want to pratice in california when they are finished. Are you concerned at all abou passing the CA board when finished with school. Thanks

Hey Jehan, although Shaker Heights is a good place to live. One of the agent told me that although it is a short drive to Case, if you decide to walk it will take about 40 min a trip. As a recall, you mentioned that you will not have your own transportation there so unless if you rely on public transit, it will be difficult to make it to those morning classes (esp. in winter).

I have talked to the fraternity house manager and it is one of my prospective rental sites. It is only 5 min walk to Case and he told me that there are about 4 rooms that will be available. I am going down this weekend to have a look so if you are interested, I can let you know the details when I get back.

Derek

sallyubc said:
HI guys,

Am sooo worried about the rental thing... I asked an agent yesterday and she told me that by the time I will go which is June 9, mpst appartments will be taken ouch!!!

what do you think?? which of these areas are good to live in shaker heights, cleveland heights or university heights??

Cheers,
Jehan :D

Woodsy said:
You should exchange them for CDN dollars.

Yes, I agree with Woodsy. You should converted the money to Cdn dollars because most likely you will be rip off if you decide to pay in US dollars (with the conversion and other hassles).

Hey guys! I am living in the triangle apartments too. For anyone that is still looking I would recommend looking there...it is walking distance to school and they are really nice. I was wondering when you guys are moving to cleveland. I only live an hour away so I am not sure when to move...I get my apt july 15 though. Anyhow I definitely think we should all go out...can't wait :)

Just came back from my housing search...and I picked......the Delt Fraternity House. Very cheap!!! Met several upper year students too! I will be moving between the 2nd or 3rd week of July. There are several big malls around Case (not walking distance though) and supermarkets are kind of far away....

However, I will post here after when I have moved in so we can meet up (maybe in the Delt House...with pool table, 400 channels, a bar) =)

Cool , I can't wait to meet all you guys there. There is Sam's Club just 5 miles away, Walmart 7 miles, small China town 5 miles, fresh fruit and grocery market on Lee road (my favorite) 7 miles away.
I have a Sam's Club membership card, we should go grocery shopping together and save money.

The Musketeer said:
Just came back from my housing search...and I picked......the Delt Fraternity House. Very cheap!!! Met several upper year students too! I will be moving between the 2nd or 3rd week of July. There are several big malls around Case (not walking distance though) and supermarkets are kind of far away....

However, I will post here after when I have moved in so we can meet up (maybe in the Delt House...with pool table, 400 channels, a bar) =)

Hey derek

Did any of the upper year student share his/her experience about Case ? Good and bad stuffs ...

HuyetKiem said:
Hey derek

Did any of the upper year student share his/her experience about Case ? Good and bad stuffs ...

Two fourth years said they have enjoyed it, one even say that it seem the 4 years just fly by. They also mentioned that most profs are nice, and not to buy all the books that they tell you to because most of them are useless. However, since they are doing there degree during the pre-simulation lab era, their opinion of the program may not be as relevant as it seems.

I have also met a 2nd going to 3rd year and he said that most test materials comes directly from lecture notes (aka - just memorize everything and you will get a good mark). He also said that in 1 year it is mostly didactic work, with some work in the sim lab. He also said the best time you will have in the first year will be doing the sealant program (he mentioned that usually you start at 9:30 and finishes at around 11:30 and then the rest of the time is free time!) He also mentioned that most of the $7000+ kit is useless and he said that in 3rd year, the class can refuse to buy the dental kit from Case (as it was done last year).

Hey guys great to see so many posts. I am thinking strongly about getting a laptop however I am not sure if they are making us buy one. Also how much money will we need for our kits. Is that covered with our financial aid.
Thanks

The dental kit is about $7900. I believe this is included in finanical aid. As for the laptop, I've talked to Brian Sherman about it just last weekend and he said he has heard nothing about making it as a part of a dental kit in any years. However, he said that Philip Aftoora should be the person to contact about this ([email protected]).

Hey! I talked to Dr. Aftoora's office today and they said that laptops are going to be required in our tools, but they are not sure what year yet. Most likely it will be third year before we really start clinical. I really need a new computer now though because my one from college is shot. So I think I may just get a desktop for now!?! I am not sure though. What do you guys think?

I said the hell with waiting for the computer requirement. One of the third year students that I have talked to said they have tried to implement the computers to be part of the dental kit for years and still they have not done so. So that's why just this weekend I've purchased a Dell computer, 600m, with loads of nice components! IF they are implementing laptops as a required purchase, I am just going to refuse buying it from them (since classes after second year had refused to buy the mandatory kits) and since Dell is one of Case's computer distributors, I think I will be okay!

I've just e-mailed Dr. Aftoora and this is his response:

Derek, we have been discussing the matter for some time now but we do not expect to require laptops until 2005 at the earliest.

I've also mentioned about my situation (of a new laptop that I have gotten) and he said if you have a laptop capable of using in the clinic (ie: long battery time 4+ hours, wireless capability, CD Rom, large HD and RAM) then you should be okay to opt out of the required purchase from Case. He said I might have to get specific softwares, but he said I can pay for those separately.

cool.. I will wait till next year then. Students at Case get a every good deal on Dell computer on the latest model. Up 40% less than market price.

When will you guys and gals be moving to Cleveland? I am planning to move down on July 17, so we should probably meet with each other during the week of July 19th on....what do you all think?

hey i'll be moving to cleveland mid/late july to go to case....just wanted to bump this thread up since that date is getting closer :)

I will be coming in around the 17th of july as well. I think it would great to all get togeather around the 23 rd or sooner. Is there anyone who will be living at the Waldorf. I would also like to have a get to know you party before school starts. Also is anyone nervous about starting school.

No, I am actually more excited than nervous....It's been exactly 6 months since I've got accepted and has been counting down since! I believe DS 1 at Case is going to be fun!

nervous ? nah... I'm still enjoying my summer vacation on the beach. I will fly to New Mexico on july 1. My cousin, brother in law and I will do the roadtrip from new mexico to texas then to Cleveland on the 15' Penske truck. We try to get to Cleveland around July 7 or 8 to set everything up for my apartment.

The weekend of July 23 or 24 is good for our party then. Let me know.

Derek, what is the date of Delta's Disorientation party ?

About the Disorientation Party, that has yet to be announced...but I am presuming that it will be the weekend after orientation or the week following. I will keep you posted.

Hey everybody,

Phewww it was tiring to look for a place but i settled with a studio in the triangle which really close to the dental school... am very excited to start schoool but nervous about the snow :laugh:
am from vancouver and we have like just mostley a week of snow in winter so it is gonna be a huge change for me yup ....

am arrivine sunday morning 10 am either July 24 or 25 hmmm I can't find my calender... anyways, am really looking forward to meet you all...

Cheers,
Jehan :p

Hey guys. I was just looking through the list of books for first semester and there are a ton of recommended books. I was wondering if anyone has heard which to buy and which not to. Also I am moving into the triangle apts. on july 15 and should be up there most of the time after that.

I think it is too early to buy any book. We should wait and get the advices from our upperclass people about the books. We may buy some used books from them too and save us more money.

Triangle just pumped me up from 4th floor to 7th floor.

Yes, don't buy the recommended books right away. Usually many classes have handouts and will be the major source that they take the for test questions. I have talked to a third year student and he said most books are useless, so wait and talk to some of the upperclassmen for the necessary books that we need to buy.

One of the definite buy is the Netter's Human Anatomy book.

millercd4 said:
Hey guys. I was just looking through the list of books for first semester and there are a ton of recommended books. I was wondering if anyone has heard which to buy and which not to. Also I am moving into the triangle apts. on july 15 and should be up there most of the time after that.

did anyone look at the university circle apts while you were there? any thoughts? seems that most are opting for the triangle apts...what is the rent there for a studio? doesn't look like all utilities are included in the prices that are posted on various websites.

Triangle charges $649/month for the studio. They will pay for heat and water only.

The university circle apts just remodeled their rooms. They all look very decent outside. You will never know what's going to happen with the 1920s building though (plumbing, wires... ). The price is just a little cheaper than the triangle apt.

Crysma said:
did anyone look at the university circle apts while you were there? any thoughts? seems that most are opting for the triangle apts...what is the rent there for a studio? doesn't look like all utilities are included in the prices that are posted on various websites.

So you finally get accepted to Case Medical School ? Congratulation ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

no, dental school....my friend and i both post under the same name. she's going to med school :)

thanks for the info on the apts. any chance u saw the fayne apts? thoughts?...