Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay I wasn't clear about the dental building. Meet at the dental clinic doors. They're the ones by the white sculpture at the back of the sick childrens hospital.

Everett

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question to all of you that got accepted to Case Dental School. CWRU is my first choice dental school. I got an invitation to the interview and already scheduled it for the next week. Any suggestions? What should I expect? Recommendations?
Another question is if everyone chosen for the interview considered equally, or grades and scores still play a major factor in acceptance?

Come on pipls....! Am I the only one having Case on a top of my list? Cleveland is not such a horrible place to be as many of you might think :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
DDS2BE said:
Come on pipls....! Am I the only one having Case on a top of my list? Cleveland is not such a horrible place to be as many of you might think :oops:
Case is up there for me too, it ties for first place with UIC and Marquette. Im almost scared to go to Case, I have heard from people that its REALLY competitve. A side note, I was just curious, who did you interview with?

grinningrice said:
Case is up there for me too, it ties for first place with UIC and Marquette. Im almost scared to go to Case, I have heard from people that its REALLY competitve. A side note, I was just curious, who did you interview with?

The interviews are Case are really laid back. I interviewed with Phil and a faculty member. I also work at Case dental school and the students are really friendly and outgoing, first year may be a little competitive

Mr. Dalsky interviewed me and some other lady but I don't remember her name. She is a director of this program called Sealant as far as I remember. I am surprised Case is on almost on everyone’s list at this forum, but only few have it on the top.

bets3 said:
The interviews are Case are really laid back. I interviewed with Phil and a faculty member. I also work at Case dental school and the students are really friendly and outgoing, first year may be a little competitive
You interviewed with phil too? I LOVE Phil, he is the cutest nice man ever. He really made me like Case. The other guy I interviewed with, made me want to bury myself in a hole. I thought I would not get in becasue he hated me, but Phil emailed me and told me that he would make sure my file was seen by the right people.

grinningrice said:
You interviewed with phil too? I LOVE Phil, he is the cutest nice man ever. He really made me like Case. The other guy I interviewed with, made me want to bury myself in a hole. I thought I would not get in becasue he hated me, but Phil emailed me and told me that he would make sure my file was seen by the right people.

Ya, Phil is a good guy. He is basically the main person to speak to if you are having any types of problem if you attend Case. He also usually offers candies to anyone who comes in and talk to him (don't know if he offered you guys candies).

The Musketeer said:
Ya, Phil is a good guy. He is basically the main person to speak to if you are having any types of problem if you attend Case. He also usually offers candies to anyone who comes in and talk to him (don't know if he offered you guys candies).
He offered me chocolate:)

DDS2BE said:

If I don't hear back from my top choice soon enough, Case is next on my list.

toothcaries said:
hmmm...

if any of u guys at CWRU could hook me up with patients for the wreb clinical...
...i'd like, be your best friend or something.

:D
I thought OSU had plenty... I am surprised, I was expecting that to be the opposite (no offense). ;)

Does anyone know if Case requires a laptop purchase or not? I have a top of the line laptop, well… it was top of the line one year ago... and would hate to spend my money on another one...

Every year Case have said that they will include it as part of our 'dental kit purchases' but so far they have not followed through with this action. I have talked to Phil last year about this situation and he said that as long as you have a computer that is capable of performing all necessary dental class programs (which all average computer will do), you will be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks the Musketeer! I'm surprized you still have time for this forum :) Anyways, how about teeth collection before school starts?

No, we don't need to collect teeth for the first year, and I don't think we need it for the second year either as none of the 2nd year have mentioned it.

BTW, I am also addicted to SDN!

welcome to case... even though we med students never seem to see the dental students except when walking by your building on the way to ours :p why is that?

exmike said:
welcome to case... even though we med students never seem to see the dental students except when walking by your building on the way to ours :p why is that?

I guess we never have much time...we are either in class or in clinic everyday. We usually have a 'dental student section' at lunch in the BRB, but I guess you are too cool to eat in there! <j/k>

BTW, the phrase you are using in the signature, I think I've said that!

since as it stands right now i'll be sending my deposit to case in a few weeks, i thought i'd chime in here... can anyone tell me the dress code at case? sorry if this was already discussed, i am too lazy to read back through 10 pages of this thread :p are you allowed to wear normal professional attire in classes and clinics, or does it have to always be scrubs?

edit: also, are most students able to find housing right on or near campus? I'm scared of cleveland. :scared:

The Musketeer said:
I guess we never have much time...we are either in class or in clinic everyday. We usually have a 'dental student section' at lunch in the BRB, but I guess you are too cool to eat in there! <j/k>

BTW, the phrase you are using in the signature, I think I've said that!
my friend at MCO said it to me

we know who the DS students are b/c you guys are always wearing scrubs, esp the dark blue ones. the med students kinda blend in with the other BRB-goers b/c we're not scrubbed most of the time.

to the last poster. check out waldorf towers. its the 'med school dorm'. its probably the nicest (and thats a relative term) place to live near campus.

Biogirl361 said:
since as it stands right now i'll be sending my deposit to case in a few weeks, i thought i'd chime in here... can anyone tell me the dress code at case? sorry if this was already discussed, i am too lazy to read back through 10 pages of this thread :p are you allowed to wear normal professional attire in classes and clinics, or does it have to always be scrubs?

edit: also, are most students able to find housing right on or near campus? I'm scared of cleveland. :scared:

Students from the past have nominated to drop the professional attire for scrubs, and now it has been kind of a tradition to wear scrubs everywhere you go. As you might have known, each class year have a designated color scrubs, and if they follow the color trend, next year's will be 'baby blue'. You can wear professional attire if you choose to, but since 99.9% of your class will be wearing the same scrubs, you may feel a little out of place if you decide to dress professionally. You will get the chance of putting on professional attire in the first few weeks of schools as you wait for the arrival of the new scrubs, but once the scrubs come in, people will usually follow the trend and wear the scrubs instead (So far in my class no one have deviated from this).

There are several apartments available within walking distance to the school, and there are also houses within 10 min bus ride. But so far since I've been there, I found it to be pretty safe within the campus and immediate surrounding areas.

i am short, so wearing tennis shoes and scrubs makes me look like i am about 10, and everyone is like hey since when is it bring your kids to school day :oops: but ya if everyone else wears scrubs then i would also, i just don't prefer it at all. but thanks for telling me.

Biogirl361 said:
i am short, so wearing tennis shoes and scrubs makes me look like i am about 10, and everyone is like hey since when is it bring your kids to school day :oops: but ya if everyone else wears scrubs then i would also, i just don't prefer it at all. but thanks for telling me.

It's okay, we have a couple of short classmates too and they look fine/cute! :D

I'm serious considering buying a house/condo close to Case, possibly in Little Italy so I won't have to drive to school everyday. Then after 4 years sell it back and get the difference :D. I've figured, instead of blowing the money out for rent, why not get it back, unless real estate goes down in price which I really doubt. Now, I still have my full time salary job and can easily take enough mortgage to buy a place of my own.

My question is if my future mortgage would affect a chance of getting Case Signature Load to pay for D-school? I would kill myself if I won't be able not to attend Case due to not having enough money to pay for it.

On the other hand, if I get education loans all processes and quit my job, which I eventually will :luck: , I won't get any mortgage at all.

Is there anyone from Case that did the same thing that I have in plans already?

Biogirl361 said:

Fayne apt is just 20 fts from our dental school ($310/month and up). Triangle and University East Apartments are at the center of University circle within 3 mins walk to school ($650/month and up). Many more are up the hill (Overlook Rd) within 5-10 min walk ranges ($400/month and up). We used to hang out till 1 or 2 am and walk home. I'm starting to love Cleveland after the first semester. :thumbup: :thumbup:

DDS2BE said:
I'm serious considering buying a house/condo close to Case, possibly in Little Italy so I won't have to drive to school everyday. Then after 4 years sell it back and get the difference :D. I've figured, instead of blowing the money out for rent, why not get it back, unless real estate goes down in price which I really doubt. Now, I still have my full time salary job and can easily take enough mortgage to buy a place of my own.

My question is if my future mortgage would affect a chance of getting Case Signature Load to pay for D-school? I would kill myself if I won't be able not to attend Case due to not having enough money to pay for it.

On the other hand, if I get education loans all processes and quit my job, which I eventually will :luck: , I won't get any mortgage at all.

Is there anyone from Case that did the same thing that I have in plans already?

From what I heard, house or condo around Case or in Little Italy is around $400k or more. Search around and let us know.

DDS2BE said:
I'm serious considering buying a house/condo close to Case, possibly in Little Italy so I won't have to drive to school everyday. Then after 4 years sell it back and get the difference :D. I've figured, instead of blowing the money out for rent, why not get it back, unless real estate goes down in price which I really doubt. Now, I still have my full time salary job and can easily take enough mortgage to buy a place of my own. ....QUOTE]

A lot of people consider buying a place but it is very expensive to buy in little Italy , what most people who buy end up doing is getting a house farther away and driving in. Their mortgage comes out to be roughly the same as rent but they do (like you said) get to sell the house later and get it all back. I don't know about you getting or not getting approved for loans because of it. It's my observation that having a home does not inhibit your chances of getting other educational loans.

Also at the moment Cleveland is going through this growth spurt and are offering 15 year tax abatements of new homes I believe. So no land tax and stuff of the new condo, there's one literally two minutes away for 400k. Honestly though you might be better off renting and being close to a few colleagues. Connections are after all , priceless.

PS. Welcome to Case.

Biogirl361 said:

Dress Code: Either professional type suits, so no jeans, t-shirts etc. That usually goes out the window in two weeks. Someone will wear jeans and no one will care so it snowballs. Then everyone wears scrubs because you're just too busy to play dress up all the time. So you can dress up and be "tall" but you'll look funny in class.

Most people live in the frat house (delts), Triangle, Waldorf.

Welcome to Case.

Thanks everett_wu :thumbup:

Those condos for 400k you're talking about were up for sale before they even got built for $250,000. I called them (forgot the name) up 2 months ago and they had 2 condos left with the price tag of 475k ... that is $225,000 worth of "profit" in 2 years!

So, where do the majority of D-students of Case live then? A friend of mine is a Case medical student that lives in a "square" box for $300 a month having a luxury of 5 minute walk from home to school every day. I really cannot see myself living in a dungeon like he does.

Ok people, I finally decided to send my deposit to CASE by next week... is there a second round of deposit before class starts? and if so, how much and what is the deadline for it?

Biogirl & DDS2BE: Did you guys send your CASE deposit yet?

Hey guys, i finally sat down and read this entire thread, very informative. I am actually starting to get excited about going to Case if i don't get in my first choice, which I don't really think I will anymore. anyways a question...what is included in these dental kits everyone talks about?

Mo007, I plan on sending my deposit in next Monday :) .

Mo007 said:
... is there a second round of deposit before class starts? and if so, how much and what is the deadline for it?
?

Wise choice ! :thumbup: :thumbup: No second round of deposit is required.

Because Case requires students to purchase tools/equipments for use for the duration of the 4 years, the dental kits consisting mostly of burs, wax, restorative tools, impression trays and bowls, alginate, perio tools, articulator, high and slow speed drills, etc....as I can recall the kits comprises of about 800+ dental items that most will be utilized during your 1st and 2nd year.

Biogirl361 said:
Hey guys, i finally sat down and read this entire thread, very informative. I am actually starting to get excited about going to Case if i don't get in my first choice, which I don't really think I will anymore. anyways a question...what is included in these dental kits everyone talks about?

Biogirl361 said:

I sent in my deposit for Case last week. I too am getting pumped about going to Case if I dont get accepted to my state school(which looks pretty dim). I still need to read the thread completely, but i have been talking to my orthodontist who went to Case and I have been hearing nothing but good things. :)

HuyetKiem said:
Wise choice ! :thumbup: :thumbup: No second round of deposit is required.
That's great! - so the rest of the tuition is due by the 1st day of class (through financial aid)?

does anyone know if you can do some kind of work-study or something just for the 3 months that the financial aid budget doesn't cover? or do most people just get a random job for 3 months and then quit?

Mo, I will be sending my deposit in a week. So far, I still have OSU interview to attend on Jan 8th, but no matter what outcome from OSU is, I'm still confident with my CWRU choice :rolleyes: .

As far as financial aid goes, first thing on my to-do list is to fill out FAFSA someday this week. I suggest you guys to the same thing, even though if you tax return hasn't been filled out yet. You may still update the form alter on fafsa's web site.

BioG, welcome to Case clan :D

is it too early to schedule for the July orientation?

so what kind of mail can we expect from case once thyey get our deposit? financial aid forms? class schedule? more info about orientation?

How early should I be heading down there to look at/sign up for apartments, what is availability usually like at the ones that are just a block or so from the school? also, does anyone happen to know if the Triangle or other nearby apartments allow medium sized aquariums? i really want to bring my fish :)

Mo007 said:
is it too early to schedule for the July orientation?

Schedule for orientation? If you are talking about the orientation before school starts, actually you do not need to schedule as all students must attend the 3-day orientation. And as I recall correctly, Case do not send out their first mailing about orientation and other information until mid to late March, so you will not be hearing from them for a while.

Since I am a Canadian, I don't know when they send out financial aid form. You will be getting your first mailing in around March just saying what you will be expecting in subsequent mailings...in May or June, you will get a mailing containing "Roomate List" - if you are interested in living with fellow students, just fill out your profile and the school will send the list of interested people to all incoming students so you guys can contact each other about it. You will not be getting detail orientation information until end June - early July as they usually don't get all the events until then. I think also in June you will also be getting a letter on the size of white coat you wear so that they can get it ready for orientation.

About apartments, the apartment across the dental school is usually rent out pretty quickly so you might want to go around the time when school year is finished. Triangle will be easier as there the 3 apartment complex have more room, but you should also find something in early summer for good rooms.

I am not sure about having pets in the Triangle but here is the website so you may contact them:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/redir...psPropertyID=21645&wsv_psLinkType=PropWebSite

Biogirl361 said:
so what kind of mail can we expect from case once thyey get our deposit? financial aid forms? class schedule? more info about orientation?

How early should I be heading down there to look at/sign up for apartments, what is availability usually like at the ones that are just a block or so from the school? also, does anyone happen to know if the Triangle or other nearby apartments allow medium sized aquariums? i really want to bring my fish :)

hey thanks musketeer... you've been really helpful.
so I gather that with this dental kit and the class color coordinated scrubs, you have to buy almost everything through the dental school. is there anything that you can buy on your own (so you can get a better deal on it ;) ?)

One thing is dental loupes...Orascoptics reps (and only them) do come in during orientation for class fitting, but it is not mandatory to purchase from them as it is not included in the dental kit (therefore you will have to pay extra for these). Some people opted for other brands and chose not to attend the fitting, however majority of the class still chose Orascoptics so they don't have to bother contacting other companies.

Biogirl361 said:
hey thanks musketeer... you've been really helpful.
so I gather that with this dental kit and the class color coordinated scrubs, you have to buy almost everything through the dental school. is there anything that you can buy on your own (so you can get a better deal on it ;) ?)

The Musketeer said:
One thing is dental loupes...Orascoptics reps (and only them) do come in during orientation for class fitting, but it is not mandatory to purchase from them as it is not included in the dental kit (therefore you will have to pay extra for these). Some people opted for other brands and chose not to attend the fitting, however majority of the class still chose Orascoptics so they don't have to bother contacting other companies.

A few friends of mine just graduated. I am sure that they don't mind lending me their kits. Can I get away not buying a new set and save myself some $$$?

jini said:
A few friends of mine just graduated. I am sure that they don't mind lending me their kits. Can I get away not buying a new set and save myself some $$$?

They are more stringent about getting the dental kits to the first years because it has everything that you will need for at least first year of your courses that they know you have everything you'll need. Also, I think if you ask them they will probably give you an excuse that you will need most of the equipments after when you graduate so why don't you buy it now for a cheaper price?

But if you want to try, you can contact Phil Aftoora about this issue.

It's official, just sent in my deposit. I'm excited to start school! See ya'll there.

I sent my deposit in on Monday :) for those of you who sent your deposits earlier, did you receive a confirmation email or postcard that they got your check and it's all final? The reason I ask is because since I waited until kind of the last minute to send it, I'm slightly nervous that something will happen and it won't get there on time, though 5 business days (6 mailing days, with saturday) should be plenty of time to get it from michigan to ohio. I also got an email from them today reminding me that next tues. is the deadline, so I know as of yet they haven't recieved it.

Biogirl361 said:
I sent my deposit in on Monday :) for those of you who sent your deposits earlier, did you receive a confirmation email or postcard that they got your check and it's all final? The reason I ask is because since I waited until kind of the last minute to send it, I'm slightly nervous that something will happen and it won't get there on time, though 5 business days (6 mailing days, with saturday) should be plenty of time to get it from michigan to ohio. I also got an email from them today reminding me that next tues. is the deadline, so I know as of yet they haven't recieved it.

I sent it in on Dec 21 and they just cashed my check yesterday. I have not yet received any form of confirmation from them.

Hm, I guess I'll just call or email on Friday to try to confirm it then.

Biogirl361 said:
Hm, I guess I'll just call or email on Friday to try to confirm it then.

I talked to them today and they said that they will send you a receipt.

They also said that it just has to be postmarked by the 18th.

vasco said:
I talked to them today and they said that they will send you a receipt.

They also said that it just has to be postmarked by the 18th.

really?! now my freind called them today and said he sent it out this week, and they told him something to the effect of "well we hope it gets here by the 18th or there may not be anything we can do". how odd that two people can call and get totally different answers! and how they said they'll send a reciept but jini sent hers out a month ago and hasn't gotten a reciept. sometimes I wonder about these schools :rolleyes: