Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HuyetKiem said:
Good and close to school apartment includes:

Fayne Apt of Montlack Realty is just across from our school. I passed their offer last month because their apartment had no parking. It is perfect for anyone w/o car and cheap rent too. Spacious studio for only $405/month.

You will pay for electric bill, they will pay for others (heat, water). This apartment has no carpet, so it's kidda cold in the winter time. Everything is old in this apt, 1950s style, even the bathrom. You may able to get into Case wireless internet from this apartment with no charge :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Just received my Dell (600m) laptop. The thing is pretty sweet! Can't wait to try out the wireless capability on this computer!

BTW, Case offers free softwares to Case students (one of them is Norton AV - Corporate Edition) -> Nice!!!

jpn123 said:
Hey guys great to see so many posts. I am thinking strongly about getting a laptop however I am not sure if they are making us buy one. Also how much money will we need for our kits. Is that covered with our financial aid.
Thanks

Hey guys/girls I just found out about this place. Thanks Derek. When you guys figure out where you're getting together before orientation please let me know. Also I'll be in the Waldorf starting July 14 so if anybody is at the Waldorf let me know!!

Everett

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I know Case has their own medical plan and stuff but does anyone know about a cheap one that is outside of Case?

everett_wu said:
Hey I know Case has their own medical plan and stuff but does anyone know about a cheap one that is outside of Case?

Not any in Cleveland. I did my research and Case is offering the lowest cost for your health insurance, unless you have any part time job with insurance. Is it still at around $900/year ?

Yes, it is still ~$900, nice and cheap. All I got extra was a life and disability insurance.

Okay so who know where to get cheap life and disability?

Hey guys,

Anyone know if anything is planned for the first weekend after classes (August 8th)? Like the disorientation party? I just got offered 2 tickets to Dave in Chicago and would love to go, but didnt know if I'd be missing out on something

I will ask one of the Delta member about the disorientation party next week. Stay tune...

Hey guys I thought I would update you on some things

Laptops-There is a dicount through the school on Dell. If you are interested in buying one I would wait. They have to have certain specs.

Scrubs-They still have not decided on the color yet.

Kits-If everything is in line with your financial aid then it is covered. I would call before July 1 to verify.

Glasses-This item is also budgeted. But call as above to make sure everything is cool.

Also who is going to be living in the Waldorf apts. Apt. # 110 on first floor I will be moving in July 1. Can't wait to meet all ypu guys. It is going to be a great year.

also about the White Coat. Dr. Aftoora said that it will have your name on it, but depending on the time, he has two options:

1) name embroidered on the coat (only if all students have been confirmed early)
2) name tag (lack of time method)

If you want to make any special request on your name (ie: include initials), then you can e-mail Dr. Aftoora about it and he will try to make the accommodations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have any input on the scrubs color?? when i interviewed there I was told that we would get the light greenish colored ones since the seniors had it this past year and were leaving so they just rotate four colors.

You can try talking to Dr. Aftoora about this, but I think they already have the colors set and re-used them over and over. I would like to see navy blue (the new CASE color) as the color to use for this year.

I've just talked to one of the Delt members and apparently the disorientation party has yet to be finalized but he mentioned that likely it will be at the end of the first week of school.

Hey Guys!

I'm moving into the Waldorf Apartments on July 25th.... let me know if any of you are there too!

-Pam :)

Hi folks !

I just moved in the Triangle apartment yesterday. It is very clean 1 junior bedroom apartment with spacious closets. The bathroom is kidda small. I can't get into Case wireless internet from this apartment. I have to order the DSL then. Man, It has a cold A/C and strong water flow for the bathroom. I don't even hear any traffic noise from the Mayfield road and Euclid below. Is anybody move in yet ?

hey guys! I just got my schedule in the mail and it does not have gross anatomy lab or histology on it, both of which were on the original schedule I got. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what the deal is?

Yeah, I saw that too...

Man, how awesome would that be though if that schedule actually was right?!

Only one class on Tuesday's and Thursday's...

millercd4 said:
hey guys! I just got my schedule in the mail and it does not have gross anatomy lab or histology on it, both of which were on the original schedule I got. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what the deal is?

ah... I have to come by the school to pick the package then.

http://www.cwru.edu/dental/web/neuro/

Neuroscience lectures and sample test. Check it out on your free time.

How come we are getting the schedule already? In the orientation package it says that they will give us the schedule during orientation. :confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah...I don't really know what is going on with the schedules. I am pretty positive there will be a few more classes added...though if this is our schedule I was will be so excited...lol. I think I am going to try to call tomm and see what is up. On another note I am moving in to triangle apts on thursday! We should set up a night to go out soon!

Yes, I am moving in next Sunday too. Does anyone know of any good pub or something around CASE that we can go to???

HuyetKiem said:
Hi folks !

I just moved in the Triangle apartment yesterday. It is very clean 1 junior bedroom apartment with spacious closets. The bathroom is kidda small. I can't get into Case wireless internet from this apartment. I have to order the DSL then. Man, It has a cold A/C and strong water flow for the bathroom. I don't even hear any traffic noise from the Mayfield road and Euclid below. Is anybody move in yet ?

We were talking about this on the med forum--see if any of your immediate neighbors are med/dent students. Buy one DSL account and a wireless hub among all of you--if the places are close enough together it should work. Someone pointed out, however, that you'd have to work out a contingency plan in the even that the network crashes when the "subscriber" is out of town.
Good luck to all of you in moving up to C-land. Maybe we'll bump into each other in August.

SoulRFlare said:
We were talking about this on the med forum--see if any of your immediate neighbors are med/dent students. Buy one DSL account and a wireless hub among all of you--if the places are close enough together it should work. Someone pointed out, however, that you'd have to work out a contingency plan in the even that the network crashes when the "subscriber" is out of town.
Good luck to all of you in moving up to C-land. Maybe we'll bump into each other in August.

Hi everybody,

How are you doing? HuyetKiem, am soo happy that the triangle turned out good, am gonna be moving in on the 25th, I still have lots of things to take care of back at home :D

Hi Pam, how far is woldorf from the triangle, you are moving on the 25 as well, I thought am the only one moving that late :eek:
Did you guys recieve a class schedule?? I haven't recieved anything!! I can't even register for the case network thing since I don't have my student number... :confused:
millercd4 did u recieve the schedule in the mail, well definilty for me is a snail mail, takes 10 days to arrive to vancouver if am lucky!!!

Am gonna need also a DSL/ Cable connection, which one is better and which company is cheaper?? Soulflare, what do you mean by wireless hub?
I've talked to one of the computer guys today at case and it looks like there are several places with wireless interent all over the campus and he said there are few regular internet hookup for people that don;t have the ethernet system but we still need an interent connection at home!!

anybody knows good cellphone companies that have free long distance (including canada) that would be great!!!

I can't wait to start and meet you all... am sure the orientation will be soo much fun :p

Cheers,
Jehan

The wireless hub is a router--mine is made by a company called linksys. With it, along with wireless receivers on other computers, you can access the net without physically plugging into the wall. I think the laptops you get are equipped with wireless capability, so you should be able to very easily connect if one person has a router.

As for the email address/user ID--
Go here and run a search of your name. That will give you one of your email addresses. the letters and numbers prior to the @ symbol are your userid. Then, go here to register you email account/userid. The "CWRU number" is your SS #. Once you decide on an 8 character password, that is the password for you email and your userid.
Good luck

Just received my schedule and this is what I have:

Gross Anatomy - M, W 1-3pm
Biochem - M 10-12pm; Tu 3-5pm, F 10-12pm
Prev. Perio - F 9-10am
Outreach Prev Dentistry- F 10-12pm and 1-3pm
Dental Anatamy - M 8-10am; W 8-10am and *10-12pm (clinical)
Facial Growth & Development- Thr 2-3pm

We also have clinical course D1642, but there is no specified time for it.

*There is a conflict already with Biochem and Outreach Prev in the same time slot on Fri. It maybe alternating class, but on the schedule it did not indicate this.

millercd4 said:

I believe we will have these in the spring term.

Just recieved my schedule today tooooo :D

Derek, I have exactly the same schedule, there might be an update but we won't know about it I guess with the snail mail...
the schedule looks not bad, only two days 8am classes :eek:

SoulrFlare, thanks i got all the information with the schedule, i will try to register today

Hey Sally,

Tuesday and Thursday are pretty good, esp. Thurs when we have 1 hour class.

Since we are Canadians, the student ID will not be the SSN. Instead you will find the ID# on the schedule, upper left hand corner, the nine digit number immediately beside the 'Sqrd' word

hey! I only live an hour from case and when I was up there a few weeks ago Barb Schulli gave me a temporary schedule for the semester. As far as the Biochem/Prev conflict according to the schedule I have it is because we have biochem in the slot for a few weeks and then Prev the next few and there was one more. we are supposed to have histology and neuro on tuesday and thursdays also according to that schedule, but maybe they dropped them...that would be unbelieveable..I would love it! SallyUBC~R U moving into Triangle to?

Derek, yahhh I tried the student number and it worked yupyyy
the schedule souds too good to be true, from the book list we should have histology and neuro but hmmmm that would be unbelievable really :D

millercd4 yupppp am moving to the triangle on July the 25th

cheers :p

millercd4 said:
hey! I only live an hour from case and when I was up there a few weeks ago Barb Schulli gave me a temporary schedule for the semester. As far as the Biochem/Prev conflict according to the schedule I have it is because we have biochem in the slot for a few weeks and then Prev the next few and there was one more. we are supposed to have histology and neuro on tuesday and thursdays also according to that schedule, but maybe they dropped them...that would be unbelieveable..I would love it! SallyUBC~R U moving into Triangle to?

sallyubc said:
anybody knows good cellphone companies that have free long distance (including canada) that would be great!!!

Jehan

AT&T and Verizon are by far the best choices for cell phone companies around Cleveland. You would have to check out their individual plans to see which offer long distance to Canada.

Hey guys I just spoke with Barbara Sciulli yesterday. We do have neuro and histo but it's in second sem and our schedule covers only first semester. Our scrubs are those minty green hospital colours. The ones you usually see in the hospital.

We get off in mid November first sem to cap childrens teeth until Dec. So no exams in Dec. They're all in November.

I just got a Verizon cell phone and it is free to Canada after 9 on weekdays and free on weekends. The package is called Americas choice plan. Inlcludes call id, call waiting, 411 and a bunch of stuff. 39.99 US is the lowest plan for 300 minutes. But Jehan if you're allthe way in BC it may be different for you because I'm only calling to Ontario. Ask them to call head office to confirm.

Anyway today is Saturday for anyone that wants to go out for food, coffee , bar, hockey, volleyball etc just give me a call at 216 409 2822

See you guys soon, Everett Wu
PS I'm located in the Waldorf

Or you guys can leave your private contact info at my hotmail address and I'll contact you later. [email protected]

Talk to you guys soon.

I will also be arriving today (Sunday) and just want to know what is the best time for everyone to meet before orientation? I am game for anytime and anywhere.

Hey Everett how is it going?? wow you are already there coool, how does it feel? :p
About the phone AT&T works for me better because verizon for BC will be really expensive, I have to add another 10 or something and it doesn't cover week nights , it is stupid! while in AT&T, I have 600 minutes and free week nights and weekends and that apply to cananda as well!!!! it is 39.99 pluss 9.99 for canada package... not bad I guess!!!

Derek and everybody am gonna be in cleveland on 25, there is this small place infront of the triangle that have very good food... so far that is the only place I remember :D you can meet guys before that time but we will have to arrange to meet again :mad: hehehehe

The Musketeer said:
I will also be arriving today (Sunday) and just want to know what is the best time for everyone to meet before orientation? I am game for anytime and anywhere.

Hey Guys,

For people who are living in the triangle, where are you gonna get the cable services from? I just discovered that the cable package with the HBO is just for people hooked up in the network, that sucks :mad:

Cheers,
JEHAN :eek:

sallyubc said:
Hey Everett how is it going?? wow you are already there coool, how does it feel? :p
About the phone AT&T works for me better because verizon for BC will be really expensive, I have to add another 10 or something and it doesn't cover week nights , it is stupid! while in AT&T, I have 600 minutes and free week nights and weekends and that apply to cananda as well!!!! it is 39.99 pluss 9.99 for canada package... not bad I guess!!!

Derek and everybody am gonna be in cleveland on 25, there is this small place infront of the triangle that have very good food... so far that is the only place I remember :D you can meet guys before that time but we will have to arrange to meet again :mad: hehehehe

Hey fellas,

Just arrived in Cleveland yesterday. My room is able to connect via wireless. I guess I will meet up with some of you this week. Since I don't have a phone # yet, PM me if you want and we will meet up!

Derek

sallyubc said:
Hey Guys,

For people who are living in the triangle, where are you gonna get the cable services from? I just discovered that the cable package with the HBO is just for people hooked up in the network, that sucks :mad:

Cheers,
JEHAN :eek:

I got a basic cable service from the cable jack. I don't know whether it's free or not and I'm still waiting for my DSL to be turned on. sucks

I just got my loan approved by Salie Mae today with the interest of 3.25% (prime rate - 0.75%) with a cosigner. Is it high or low ? Anybody know ? I'm ready to head to Canada for vacation today. I will see you folks next week.

Hey Huyet I'm in Toronto right now, I don't know if you want to meet up or if you're even in Toronto but leave me a message here.

As for the interest rate that is amazing. Did you need an American cosigner or could it have been Canadian? I have a Canhelp loan which makes me pay prime plus 1 which is almost 6%!!! So to answer your question yes that is an amazing loan %.

Everett

Hey Everett, I guess you will be back down to Cleveland on July 25 or 26 then cause I've just went to the school and Brian gave me your event page. I will be interested to come. Please tell me the exact date and time when you confirm it.

I've just been to the dental school and I have received an updated schedule with all the classes that we will have in the fall. The reason histology and neurobiology was left off the list initially was because the professors still have to decide the amount of credit hours to be given to these courses so just didn't bother listing it on the schedule. This is the new complete version:

Just received my schedule and this is what I have:

Gross Anatomy - M, W 1-3pm; M, W 3-5pm (lab)
Biochem - M 10-12pm; Tu 3-5pm, [F 10-12pm (Aug 2-27)]
Prev. Perio - F 9-10am; [F 10-12pm (clinical) (Sept 27-Nov12)]
Outreach Prev Dentistry- [F 10-12pm (Aug 30-Sept 24)]; F 1-3pm; F 3-5pm (clinical)
Dental Anatomy - M 8-10am (part of time clinical); W 8-10 am and W 10-12pm (clinical)
Facial Growth & Development- Thr 2-3pm
Intro to DentSim - Tu 1-3pm
General Histology - Tu, Thr 8:30-10 am; Tu, Thr 10-12pm (lab)
Neurobiology - Thr 3-5pm (Sept 27 on through 2nd term)

Lunch is 12-1pm everyday

Classes End: Nov 12
Exams: Nov 15-19
Sealant Weeks: Nov 29-Dec 10

If I have written this correctly, then everyday we should have almost an '8-5' schedule

Hey Derek,

Hoe is it going?? what is Sealant week??? and does it mean that we can go back home on December 10th???? hmmmm the schedule sounds more real right now yuck hehehe :eek:

Cheers,
Jehan

The Musketeer said:
I've just been to the dental school and I have received an updated schedule with all the classes that we will have in the fall. The reason histology and neurobiology was left off the list initially was because the professors still have to decide the amount of credit hours to be given to these courses so just didn't bother listing it on the schedule. This is the new complete version:

If I have written this correctly, then everyday we should have almost an '8-5' schedule

Sealant program is one of the community outreach programs that Case does which involves getting first and second year dental students to local school to perform sealants on kids and cleaning, etc.

Alright so the meeting is this Monday. We're going to a bar in Shaker. I think it would be a great idea because it would force us off campus and see how Cleveland actually is. If anyone has a specific bar name in mind let me know. If not we'll just go down to the district and check it out.

Everett

hmmm...

if any of u guys at CWRU could hook me up with patients for the wreb clinical...
...i'd like, be your best friend or something.

:D

Okay sorry it has taken so long. Please pass this on to people I may not know. 8pm we're going to meet at the dentistry building. then walk to the Delta house for a quick meeting and possibly quick showing. Then walk to the bus and go to 8th or 9th west for some good old bar hopping.

As for Volleyball it seems you would all want to drink and not play volleyball first so it is cancelled. :mad:

Please call me to tell me if you are going if I am not expecting you. Or we'll accidently leave you behind if we don't know you're coming.

Anyway thanks everyone for helping put this together.

See you soon. Everett 216 409 2822

Call me if anything changes. If anyone can find Josh or Huyet that would be great.