Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
floridakppr said:
Still haven't received the actual secondary from USF; only the stat verification request.

Can't access FSU's secondary because my e-mail does not match their records.

👎[/QUOTE

When did you make your request to USF? If it's been over 3 days, send another request.
 
FLsurf05 said:
Well, I got the USF secondary. I think my problem was just with my e-mail account. The address I sent my request to was md-admissions@ lyris.hsc.usf.edu, so I hope that helps anybody who isn't getting the secondary.

Of course, now I have a question about the secondary. In the activities section, it says to list things that are not on your AMCAS application. How did you guys do that? I think I listed pretty much all my volunteer activities, awards, and hobbies on my AMCAS. Should I list the things I plan to do next year and the job I had this summer (which I did not list on AMCAS)? I think those are my only activities that I didn't list on AMCAS. Any tips? Thanks!

The activities section is simply for new activities since you submitted AMCAS -- early in the season, there isnt much, but for those who lag with the secondary, they can have additional information. You are very welcome to leave the activities section blank, many do. It's simply an extra area for you if warranted.
 
americanangel said:
Has anybody received verification from USF that their file was complete? I sent them an email last week and still haven't heard back from them. I know all my letters of recommendation are there, but I checked my bank account and they still haven't cashed the check and their web page for checking the status, still says web application complete. I'm starting to worry now that they received everything!

We havent looked to complete files as we are recovering from an office move. We should be easily caught up by the middle of next week. When we complete a file we will post the date at the secondary site AND send you an email indicating that your file is complete. I know that many are anxious, but trust me, there is plenty of time. The Florida schools generally begin interviewing in the middle of September or later (last Monday in Sept for USF regular applicants). Interview offers generally occur about 3 weeks before the interview date. Ergo, invites will probably begin to flow at the end of August --- still plenty of time to complete files etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REL said:
We havent looked to complete files as we are recovering from an office move. We should be easily caught up by the middle of next week. When we complete a file we will post the date at the secondary site AND send you an email indicating that your file is complete. I know that many are anxious, but trust me, there is plenty of time. The Florida schools generally begin interviewing in the middle of September or later (last Monday in Sept for USF regular applicants). Interview offers generally occur about 3 weeks before the interview date. Ergo, invites will probably begin to flow at the end of August --- still plenty of time to complete files etc.

Thank you so much for the response! I'm just nervous with the whole process since this is something I've wanted forever! Well, good luck with the office move! And thanks again for calming my nerves!
 
Just wanted to let you guys know---FSU has their secondary up. They are still working out a few kinks, so the secondary can't be submitted yet...but if you guys wanted to work on it...its up!
 
REL said:
We havent looked to complete files as we are recovering from an office move. We should be easily caught up by the middle of next week. When we complete a file we will post the date at the secondary site AND send you an email indicating that your file is complete. I know that many are anxious, but trust me, there is plenty of time. The Florida schools generally begin interviewing in the middle of September or later (last Monday in Sept for USF regular applicants). Interview offers generally occur about 3 weeks before the interview date. Ergo, invites will probably begin to flow at the end of August --- still plenty of time to complete files etc.

Thank you, REL. Even though it took three e-mails and a phone call, I finally received the USF secondary. Well worth the wait. 👍
 
I'm applying to UF, USF, and FSU, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the essay questions to UF and FSU. I finally got verified today, but I've been getting the questions for my other apps. from the offical secondaries link to stay on top of the whole process. Also, how long does it take to get the emails inviting you to fill out the secondaries? I heard FSU screens, so I was just wondering if it takes them as long to look over my app as it did AMCAS.
 
Just wondering, Is miami the only school that puts a time limit on when you can fill out their application?
 
tomorrowgirl99 said:
Just wondering, Is miami the only school that puts a time limit on when you can fill out their application?


From what I remember, I think Miami was the only secondary I received with a time limit.
 
REL said:
We havent looked to complete files as we are recovering from an office move. We should be easily caught up by the middle of next week. When we complete a file we will post the date at the secondary site AND send you an email indicating that your file is complete. I know that many are anxious, but trust me, there is plenty of time. The Florida schools generally begin interviewing in the middle of September or later (last Monday in Sept for USF regular applicants). Interview offers generally occur about 3 weeks before the interview date. Ergo, invites will probably begin to flow at the end of August --- still plenty of time to complete files etc.

whew that's a relief.
 
Is anyone here also applying to Mayo Medical Clinic? I think rotations can be done on their FL site, but first two years in MN.
 
WilliamsF1 said:
Is anyone here also applying to Mayo Medical Clinic? I think rotations can be done on their FL site, but first two years in MN.

If its the same as last year im pretty sure Florida and Arizona residents are considered "In State" for the Mayo Clinic due to their affiliation with those regions. Im not sure that it gives you much of an advantage though b/c it is a very competitive private school with a small class size.
 
1SwtWrld said:
If its the same as last year im pretty sure Florida and Arizona residents are considered "In State" for the Mayo Clinic due to their affiliation with those regions. Im not sure that it gives you much of an advantage though b/c it is a very competitive private school with a small class size.

does that apply for tuition purposes as well?
 
rajad10 said:
does that apply for tuition purposes as well?


Yup...Here's what their webpage says:

Resident Adjusted Tuition: $6,125**

**Tuition for students who are legal residents of Minnesota, Arizona and Florida.


I was thinking of applying up there, but its way tooooooo cold!
 
americanangel said:
Yup...Here's what their webpage says:

Resident Adjusted Tuition: $6,125**

**Tuition for students who are legal residents of Minnesota, Arizona and Florida.


I was thinking of applying up there, but its way tooooooo cold!

wow, you learn something everyday
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rajad10 said:
wow, you learn something everyday

Damn, where you been man?! I'm surprised other people at UF didn't know about this either. I checked out their acceptances by state for this past year. Out of 42 seats, 1 got in from our state. Either 1) a lot of competition or 2) no one from FL wants to live in MN (more likely 😀 )
 
americanangel said:
I was thinking of applying up there, but its way tooooooo cold!

Yeah, but you're going to be in the hospital, the school, or your apartment most of the time. It's the same reasoning you would use for applying to any northern school, whether in Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, what have you.

It's not like you're going to show up for rotations and they're going to say, "Alright, let's do surgery out on the quad today. And then build a snowman!"

Especially because surgeons always fight over who made the best snowman.
 
Oculus Sinistra said:
Yeah, but you're going to be in the hospital, the school, or your apartment most of the time. It's the same reasoning you would use for applying to any northern school, whether in Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, what have you.

It's not like you're going to show up for rotations and they're going to say, "Alright, let's do surgery out on the quad today. And then build a snowman!"

Especially because surgeons always fight over who made the best snowman.

My car is rear wheel drive and I don't have snow tires. It will give me a lot of problems driving around town during winter. I don't think I'd be able to get to a grocery store to buy food. I think I'll play it safe and not apply because I don't want to starve from not having snow tires to get food. Hopefully the snowmen the surgeons build would keep my mind off of starvation.
 
anyone else feel the ominous rush of interview invites from florida schools coming in less two-three weeks?
 
rajad10 said:
anyone else feel the ominous rush of interview invites from florida schools coming in less two-three weeks?

You're not going EDP at USF anymore?
 
rajad10 said:
anyone else feel the ominous rush of interview invites from florida schools coming in less two-three weeks?

Nope. I'm feeling the ominous rush of MCAT in 2 Saturdays. I won't be submitting my application for a couple days after that. I won't hear for any possible interview invites til November at the earliest, lol! I'm not worried though. 🙂
 
floridakppr said:
You're not going EDP at USF anymore?

no, i'm still going EDP, my invite if any should come in 2 weeks or so near the end of august. i was just making a general statement to arouse this stagnant thread. COME ON FLORIDA PEOPLE
 
rajad10 said:
no, i'm still going EDP, my invite if any should come in 2 weeks or so near the end of august. i was just making a general statement to arouse this stagnant thread. COME ON FLORIDA PEOPLE

Is there a thread about the FL school secondary essays?
 
Hi REL,
I remember talking with you this past spring about applying to USF this cycle, and improving my science GPA, etc... and asking about diff. options such as post-bac, USF cert. programs, and Masters programs. Well, to make a long story short, I'm attending Tulane this fall for my one-year Masters in Cell Bio! I'm really excited and hope it makes a difference in the eyes of adcoms. I really appreciate your time in talking with me, as well, that was really helpful! I'm working on finishing my USF secon now... and of course I've heard great things about the program there... in fact we've had several med students from last year's entering class shadowing at the Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Pete, where I work. I definitely think it's great that you take the time to post here, thanks!
 
REL said:
The decision for EDP will be made on the evening of Aug 22 with invites the following morning via telephone.

Thanks, Mr. Larkin. Now I have a date to worry about on my calendar... 😱
 
rajad10 said:
no, i'm still going EDP, my invite if any should come in 2 weeks or so near the end of august. i was just making a general statement to arouse this stagnant thread. COME ON FLORIDA PEOPLE

I'm going to be humble and say no, not really, I'm not expecting a wave of interviews. And be realistic, saying no because I still need a non-science LOR.
 
rajad, did you use the Health & Legal Professions office at UF to hold onto your LORs and send them all out at once? Did you send them after you got all your secondaries or after you submitted your primaries? I ask because when I submit my application right after the MCAT, some schools will give me secondaries because they don't screen. I'd like to have my file complete asap and just have my scores needed. The UF LOR service says to wait til I get all my secondaries, but some schools that screen would wait til my scores are released...thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i m sorry if someone asked this before in this thread.

But i would like to know that which medical school in florida accept Out of state students??
 
M bhai MBBS said:
i m sorry if someone asked this before in this thread.

But i would like to know that which medical school in florida accept Out of state students??

UF, UM, and USF accept OOS but only in small numbers. FSU does not.
 
WilliamsF1 said:
rajad, did you use the Health & Legal Professions office at UF to hold onto your LORs and send them all out at once? Did you send them after you got all your secondaries or after you submitted your primaries? I ask because when I submit my application right after the MCAT, some schools will give me secondaries because they don't screen. I'd like to have my file complete asap and just have my scores needed. The UF LOR service says to wait til I get all my secondaries, but some schools that screen would wait til my scores are released...thanks.

If you have secondaries back already, then write them down on that paper and have them sent out. The LOR service at UF is notorious for being slow and mean. Try to divide your schools into 2 batches 1. that dont screen, 2. ones that do. Dont forget to make sure that your file is complete i.e. the profs sent in the release letter etc. Good Luck
 
WilliamsF1 said:
rajad, did you use the Health & Legal Professions office at UF to hold onto your LORs and send them all out at once? Did you send them after you got all your secondaries or after you submitted your primaries? I ask because when I submit my application right after the MCAT, some schools will give me secondaries because they don't screen. I'd like to have my file complete asap and just have my scores needed. The UF LOR service says to wait til I get all my secondaries, but some schools that screen would wait til my scores are released...thanks.

yea i am using it, and as a matter of fact, they're still working on sending out my complete LOR file to my ONE school (USF which has an EDP deadline of August 15th)! They require that at least one secondary be received by you before you can send any letters out. Listen to facewait and just send out your letters as soon as possible. Then you can send again to the screeners once your scores come out.
 
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't use the UF service and use Interfolio instead
 
rajad10 said:
yea i am using it, and as a matter of fact, they're still working on sending out my complete LOR file to my ONE school (USF which has an EDP deadline of August 15th)! They require that at least one secondary be received by you before you can send any letters out. Listen to facewait and just send out your letters as soon as possible. Then you can send again to the screeners once your scores come out.

So I can actually send it out twice to all the schools? Let me see if I have this right: 1) I get the secondaries from the non-screeners. 2) Sent out the LORs from UF to ALL my schools regardless if they're screeners 3) Get secondaries from screener schools after scores released 4) Sent out the LORs from UF to ALL the schools again?

How much does it cost again from them? I think it was like $20 for maybe 5 schools and they add more per school, right? I also live in Orlando now so hopefully I can just pay online rather than by check in mail or in person.
 
WilliamsF1 said:
So I can actually send it out twice to all the schools? Let me see if I have this right: 1) I get the secondaries from the non-screeners. 2) Sent out the LORs from UF to ALL my schools regardless if they're screeners 3) Get secondaries from screener schools after scores released 4) Sent out the LORs from UF to ALL the schools again?

How much does it cost again from them? I think it was like $20 for maybe 5 schools and they add more per school, right? I also live in Orlando now so hopefully I can just pay online rather than by check in mail or in person.

it costs 20 bucks for 15 schools. i live in orlando too and i had to specially take a day off work to drive up and release the letters to schools. there's no other way to do it. the service is not great, as you can see.
 
morganlefay said:
Hi REL,
I remember talking with you this past spring about applying to USF this cycle, and improving my science GPA, etc... and asking about diff. options such as post-bac, USF cert. programs, and Masters programs. Well, to make a long story short, I'm attending Tulane this fall for my one-year Masters in Cell Bio! I'm really excited and hope it makes a difference in the eyes of adcoms. I really appreciate your time in talking with me, as well, that was really helpful! I'm working on finishing my USF secon now... and of course I've heard great things about the program there... in fact we've had several med students from last year's entering class shadowing at the Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Pete, where I work. I definitely think it's great that you take the time to post here, thanks!

Congratulations on your decision! I am happy any time that I can help others along the road. While I cannot be a doctor, I can do my best to provide information to those of you who can make a difference to others. A little guidance and direction, encouragement, and truth, can work wonders with those who are motivated in the right direction.
 
americanangel said:
What about regular admissions? When do invites start coming out?

Our first regular interview date will be the final Monday in September. We usually make invites about 3-4 weeks in advance of the earliest date available. In short, we'll probably begin invites very early in September -- MAAAYBE late August if we can recover from this ill-timed office move. We should be caught up posting papers by the end of this week, populate the database with completed apps and roll with the process....yes, about 3 more weeks should be right to begin invites....stay tuned.
 
REL said:
Our first regular interview date will be the final Monday in September. We usually make invites about 3-4 weeks in advance of the earliest date available. In short, we'll probably begin invites very early in September -- MAAAYBE late August if we can recover from this ill-timed office move. We should be caught up posting papers by the end of this week, populate the database with completed apps and roll with the process....yes, about 3 more weeks should be right to begin invites....stay tuned.

Thanks REL for the response..I'll keep a look out!
 
So do any past Florida interviewees have any words of advice for everyone applying either EDP or regular? It would be nice to hear some feedback from last year's crew about the how the schools interview and such.
 
Is anyone having an issue with the USF online system? I just logged on to the secondary site to see if my file is complete and my old submission is not showing up. It's asking me to start a new application file instead. Anyone else having similar issues? I don't know if I should resubmit the online part or just assume they have the old one. Maybe resubmitting might confuse them?
 
rajad10 said:
Is anyone having an issue with the USF online system? I just logged on to the secondary site to see if my file is complete and my old submission is not showing up. It's asking me to start a new application file instead. Anyone else having similar issues? I don't know if I should resubmit the online part or just assume they have the old one. Maybe resubmitting might confuse them?

Anyone have insight on this issue?
 
rajad10, so just to make sure, the LOR service will let me send my LORs out twice and I'd just have to pay double, right?
 
WilliamsF1 said:
rajad10, so just to make sure, the LOR service will let me send my LORs out twice and I'd just have to pay double, right?


I believe so, but I would contact the secretary first to make sure. She's the authority on the subject. Her name is Rebecca A Sandbach at [email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rajad10 said:
Is anyone having an issue with the USF online system? I just logged on to the secondary site to see if my file is complete and my old submission is not showing up. It's asking me to start a new application file instead. Anyone else having similar issues? I don't know if I should resubmit the online part or just assume they have the old one. Maybe resubmitting might confuse them?

My file is still showing up like this: COM 2007-2008 Academic Year Medical Doctor 2007...etc.

Your deadline is fast approaching. I would definitely consider calling.
 
floridakppr said:
My file is still showing up like this: COM 2007-2008 Academic Year Medical Doctor 2007...etc.

Your deadline is fast approaching. I would definitely consider calling.

shoot, i was hoping that would be the case with everyone. I have another one ready to go right now so I'm not tooooo worried.
 
rajad10 said:
shoot, i was hoping that would be the case with everyone. I have another one ready to go right now so I'm not tooooo worried.


Don't worry too much until the end of the week. REL's earlier post said that they hope to have the database filled with completed files by the end of the week. This is what he said, "We should be caught up posting papers by the end of this week, populate the database with completed apps and roll with the process" So hopefully our files will be processed by the end of the week.
 
What is sufficient documentation for U.S. citizenship for UF? They mention consulting page 1, and I don't see it. Is a copy of a birth certificate sufficient? Parent's W-2's?
 
americanangel said:
Don't worry too much until the end of the week. REL's earlier post said that they hope to have the database filled with completed files by the end of the week. This is what he said, "We should be caught up posting papers by the end of this week, populate the database with completed apps and roll with the process" So hopefully our files will be processed by the end of the week.

yea, but my file has "disappeared" altogether from the online application page...so that's weird
 
Status
Not open for further replies.