Who's Making Interview Offers?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U of C says no as well.

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU said no yesterday. :(

Funny how the OHSU email said "We pride ourselves on interviewing as many applicants as possible" but there's only a handful of folks here who got them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm new to this website and was wondering if people could help me with this question. Has anyone gotten rejections from UCLA yet? I have yet to hear from them and wonder if it's because they are just waiting to reject me.
I've heard from Harbor-UCLA, CHLA, CHOC, UCI but not UCLA main campus. Any advice?

Anybody have advice on what to do when you haven't heard anything from a program that you're really interested in? (And other people have already received offers.)

Is there any value in contacting them to let them know that you're especially interested? Or too much risk of annoying them?

And if so, would you contact the coordinator or the program director? And by phone or email or handwritten letter? Or ask an attending to call for you?

I just called Northwestern and they will be sending out emails tomorrow.

*fingers crossed* :luck:

Not going to raise my hopes, not going to raise my hopes...

But I'd really really love to get Memorial. *Also crossing fingers*

jvinocur said:
Anybody have advice on what to do when you haven't heard anything from a program that you're really interested in? (And other people have already received offers.)

Is there any value in contacting them to let them know that you're especially interested? Or too much risk of annoying them?

And if so, would you contact the coordinator or the program director? And by phone or email or handwritten letter? Or ask an attending to call for you?

I was waiting to hear from two programs I was interested in so I call to "check on the status of my application" in the morning. When I got home in the afternoon, I had received invites from both. It was definitely worth it and I did not feel like I was bothering anyone.

Good luck!!!! :laugh: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3106649#

And the hits keep on coming. :( Got the axe from Northwestern too. Thank goodness I kept all my earlier interviews as it's been zilch since October (and contacting programs hasn't done a thing). Oh well, I've got enough great invites. It's just annoying being rejected all at once.

I do hope someone cancels Loyola now on either the 12th or 14th of December, so I can move up my date and not conflict with rotations... :)

Anyone else interview at Seattle Children's yet and want to give their impression of the interviews they had there? I'm interviewing there on Monday (11/21). I'll be down at OHSU on Tuesday (11/22).

I just had interviews this week at UCSF, Oakland Children's, and Kaiser Oakland. The two Oakland programs were really laid back, the interviews (2 at each program) were so conversational and non-threatening and it was great! I really like both programs, though not sure about the smallness of Kaiser - I'll have to think about that one. UCSF went fine, but they only do one interview and I don't really know how I feel about how it went. I think I was just nervous since it was my very first one.

I also have scheduled: Denver, Stanford, UC Davis, Loma Linda, UCSD.

got rejected from U Chicago/Memorial

I think the telephone thing works, I got two interviews this week. I emailed one of the program. The other program I just called to check on the status of my app and they had just decided to offer an interview. At this point neither one of the two can hurt.

I just got a Mt Sinai offer (so happy!). I sent them a very short email 2 days ago just saying I was still interested.

I had my first interview at UF today, and I think it went well. Everyone was really laid back and easy to talk to. If anyone has any specific questions about it, feel free to post here or PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from MGH lately?

Got interview invite from Mount Sinai today:)

Those who haven't heard from DC Children's National should probably call - I finally did today and was told I was rejected (sigh). :( They may not be sending official emails. I assume MGH and UCSF haven't either since there's no way I have a chance there. Duke, UCLA and CHLA are also highly unlikely.

No Mount Sinai yet - arrrgh! Hopefully my app's still being reviewed, when I called I couldn't get any info except that they were still in the process. No word from Columbia (not that I have huge hopes) since I emailed. And I'm officially on hold at Tufts...I've wanted to see Boston for years so I'm crossing fingers for cancellations.

At this point, I think if you haven't received an interview, it is unlikely you will get one. I say this because most places have their interview slots filled at this point. I called a program a month after they offered me an interview and they told me I could be put on the wait list because their interview slots were full.

Also, I firmly believe that if you aren't offered an interview by a program, it actually doesn't mean you weren't qualified. I think a large portion of it has to do with when they get to your application in relation to the slots they've filled and whether or not if they offer you a slot, if you will follow thru. The PD for Children's National in DC had told us one day back that the program gets over 800 applications a year and that they offer approximately 300 interviews. They automatically offer interviews to people who do sub-i's thru Children's or away students who rotate thru, which take up ~40-50 interview slots. So the remaining 750 students are for 250 slots. But I can't imagine the PD even gets thru all the 750 student applications. I know for a fact that as of a week or two ago, he still had a sack of applications he hadn't even really looked at (he told us so). But I also know that most, if not all, of their slots are full at this point. Of course, there are people in that stack who are very qualified and maybe more so than some of the people offered interviews, but they just got the bad luck of being at the bottom of the pile.

Of course, this is just my own opinion, but it seems to fit and make sense based on my own interview offers and my observations at CNMC.

Anyway, best of luck everyone!!!

Actually, I just heard yesterday from UCSF for an interview offer. Also, I like many others I know are cancelling some interviews, which will open up some spots.

Don't give up hope yet everyone!

Lara said:
No Mount Sinai yet - arrrgh!

I actually just got an offer from them last week, so don't give up!

Has anyone interviewed at the MGH or heard about it? How is the program like?

Just got an interview invitation from UCSF (7 pm Sunday night)...so hang in there. When I called last week, they said they had not gotten a chance to review everyone so be patient folks ;)

MGH is sending rejections-I just got one :(

I think CNMC is going to start offering more interviews- I'm interviewing with them and they just sent me an email asking me to confirm my interview date because they would like to send out another batch of offers. I have no idea when this will happen.

Quick questions - not sure if anybody will know the answer....

I have not heard anything from Cincinnati yet, and I know that they have been offering interviews for a while. Does anybody know if they sent out rejections (if I know that, at least I can hope I'm on a waiting list), or are they a program that doesn't let you know if you don't get an interview.

Secondly, I have also not heard anything from Vanderbilt. I know that they have sent invites AND rejections. Should I assume I'm on a waiting list if I haven't heard anything, or should I assume I'm rejected?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Got rejected from MGH today. I'm hoping I love NEMC and they love me, because I'd be reallly thrilled to be in Boston next year, and that seems to be my only option for inside Boston. I called Columbia and they said all their interview slots are full, but they will call if something opens up. Still haven't heard from Montefiore. I've been trying to reach the program coordinator, but she is never in her office when I call. Other than that, I've heard from everyone. My final interview list is: NYU, St. Chris (both done now), Maine, NEMC, UMass, Baystate, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, and Brown. I cancelled Crozer-Chester when I was feeling overly confident about interview offers, now I have some regrets, but I'm sure it will be alright. Rejections from CHOP, Boston Childrens, and MGH.

Just got an NYU wait list...it was such a nice email too, so hopeful!

Well, I guess I hope someone cancels so I can go! :)

Well, I'm stunned. I didn't get to check my email since early afternoon Saturday, and today I found an invite from...UCSF. :eek: :D I thought pigs would fly before I'd have a chance there, this is unbelievable! My only question now is whether I'm being considered for primary care, categorical or both somehow...did anyone's email specify?

Thanks for the Columbia info, crossing fingers there are cancellations later. Don't know if I dare hope for MGH, but no official rejection yet - eeeek!

dr. maybe said:
I was waiting to hear from two programs I was interested in so I call to "check on the status of my application" in the morning. When I got home in the afternoon, I had received invites from both. It was definitely worth it and I did not feel like I was bothering anyone.

Thanks for the advice everybody -- nerve-racking phone call but it worked, got an invitation within a few hours! Trying to get up the guts to call my other daydream tomorrow...

Lara-

I'm joining you in the 'omigosh, UCSF invited me' circle. Got back from my Northwestern interview this afternoon and voila (i'd rather write wah-lah), the invite appears. Now, hopefully I get my first choice interview date so I don't have to change my flight *fingers crossed*

West coast trip
arrive Fri dec 2, staying with unknown host- any friendly student at UCLA?
interview at UCLA Sat 12/3
head down to Long beach st, hang out with high school friend until..
interview at CH Orange Co. 12/6
fly up to San Jose where my sis lives
interview at UCSF 12/7
hang out for 2 days, maybe see the monterey aquarium with my sis
return 12/9
Mon 12/12: start Trauma surgery at Cook county for 3 weeks :D

besides Oakland, I don't think I'll be taking any more invites by virtue of my schedule and desire to go abroad for january. I've been more pleased than I expected with the 8 (9?) interviews I plan to go on. 4down, 4 to go!

turning down: Montefiore (Albert Einstein), Wake Forest

even if I still hear, I won't go: UNC, DC Children's

rejects-just to see it in all its glory :oops:
Cornell, Duke, UCSD, OHSU, UWash, Stanford

Got an interview invite from U of Pitt today.

Yet to hear from: DC Children's, Columbia and Montefiore

Rejects: Cornell, CHOP and Johns Hopkins :(

Interviewed at: UMDNJ-RWJ, LIJ and St. Peter's

UMDNJ: Good medium sized program(12/year), nice hospital, friendly attendings.

LIJ(Schneider's): Lots of residents(41/yr), all the residents seems to be happy, nice neighbourhood, 30-40 mins from Manhattan.

St. Peter's NJ: New program that started last yr. They take 6 residents /yr. Good teaching, all subspecialities present in the hospital. Affiliation with CHOP, the residents do 4 rotation over the three yrs at CHOP.

Still waiting on Monty, Duke and CHOP (on 'hold).

Has anyone in CHOP's 'hold' category heard anything yet?
Does anyone think there is a chance of getting an interview if you are on 'hold'?

Rejected from: Boston Children's :( , Denver and Oregon

Interviews: Tons of places... but I'm going to cancel the Cali interviews, i think-- so anyone on waitlist for several Cali places--- have no fear!

Lara said:
And the hits keep on coming. :( Got the axe from Northwestern too. Thank goodness I kept all my earlier interviews as it's been zilch since October (and contacting programs hasn't done a thing). Oh well, I've got enough great invites. It's just annoying being rejected all at once.

I do hope someone cancels Loyola now on either the 12th or 14th of December, so I can move up my date and not conflict with rotations... :)

i cancelled my loyola for the 21st of december so you can have that one if you call tomorrow

Hey guys, have any of you gotten phone calls from programs pre-interview time? Also is it the norm to get thank you notes from interviewers? I'm sure this is part of the schtick to get people more interested in the program and I should just ignore it and focus on my interview experience, but its just weird.

funnygirl said:
Hey guys, have any of you gotten phone calls from programs pre-interview time? Also is it the norm to get thank you notes from interviewers? I'm sure this is part of the schtick to get people more interested in the program and I should just ignore it and focus on my interview experience, but its just weird.

I got a phone call from a resident at Riley (Indianapolis) about a week or so prior to my interview. It was a bit odd -- I didn't expect it, and he seemed a little nervous. (I met him later in person and it was much more relaxed.) He was trying to tell me about how various aspects of Riley's program catered to my interests, based on his reading of my application. He later followed up with an e-mail note as well, with the offer to answer any questions I might have. In retrospect, it was nice of the program to make this initial contact -- it just caught me off guard at the time.

I haven't gotten a thank-you note from an interviewer yet. :)

Lara said:
Well, I'm stunned. I didn't get to check my email since early afternoon Saturday, and today I found an invite from...UCSF. :eek: :D I thought pigs would fly before I'd have a chance there, this is unbelievable! My only question now is whether I'm being considered for primary care, categorical or both somehow...did anyone's email specify?

Thanks for the Columbia info, crossing fingers there are cancellations later. Don't know if I dare hope for MGH, but no official rejection yet - eeeek!

Congrats on your interview at UCSF! When I was there to interview a couple of weeks ago, they explained that the interview day counts for both the categorical and PLUS ("primary care") programs. You can gather info about both of the programs while you're there and then decide which you want to apply to (both is totally fine). Just be sure to let them know if you're ONLY interested in one or the other (or interested in both) so that they will know what to consider when ranking you.

You will rank the two programs separately, and hence each program has it's own rank list as well.. so you may be ranked for one but not the other if you don't make your preferences clear. They encourage people to learn about the PLUS program and then let them know later (via e-mail or whatever) if you are still interested when it gets closer to rank list time.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does, thanks! From looking at the website, I'm pretty sure I'll go for both programs. :)

Argh - just joined those rejected from MGH. :( I'll have to pin my Boston hopes on NEMC, and they don't seem to want me anyway.

JUST GOT UCSF! Still waiting on CHOP, Duke and Monty.

Rainbow Babies by phone. :) Here's hoping for Cinci too as it'll give more major standalone hospitals...

Hooray, I finally heard from everyone.
My final list:
Interviews at: Maine, NEMC, NYU, St. Chris, Baystate, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, UMass, Brown, Montefiore (that's the new one).
Cancelled an interview at Crozer-Chester
Rejected from: CHOP, MGH, Boston Children's
On waiting list for interview: Columbia

Waitlisted by DC Childrens today (& on a Sunday). Still waiting for some sort of response from UC-Davis & Duke.

For those on HOLD, I am canceling Seattle Children's and DC today...Good luck.
;)

Got Cinci today. :)

Also got a waitlist from DC Children's

Still haven't heard from Montefiore, Columbia, UIC at all...

On hold at DC, Cornell, CHOP, NYU

Just got Columbia :D my #1 choice!

congrats Mi- err.. DF! ;)
Hope your rock their world the way you want to. Make sure you have that nice overcoat for your trip up there from Gainesville! g'luck.

Doctora Foxy said:
Just got Columbia :D my #1 choice!

Wow Doctora Foxy, I'm jealous. :D Congrats!!!

Also got UConn, and was rejected from CHLA. My "still waiting" list may finally be down to single digits...

Got Harbor-UCLA, nice surprise this late! Gives me hope for Mount Sinai which is *still* reviewing (per the coordinator who I called today, sigh).

Unfortunately I also called Columbia and was told I was rejected. :( Shame since I'm loving Manhattan thanks to my NYU invite. Also was rejected from Oakland - too bad as I also loved the Bay Area.

Interviewed at Children's National a while ago. I have to say, I was singularly _not_ impressed. They were modestly disorganized, and their rounding system seemed very patient-unfriendly. I think they have the best of intentions, but after hearing everyone hoping for an interview invite there, I was expecting far better out of a major East Coast center.

Too bad, because DC is an awesome place to live...