Who's Making Interview Offers?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University of Tennessee , Memphis today.

Members don't see this ad.

Children's Memorial yesterday also- finally!
I do have classmate who heard from them in mid-October, but he's a PhD and I know they had two special interview dates for PhDs. The rest of us MD only-types in my class hadn't heard as of last Friday...

Now just waiting on Denver Children's...

Members don't see this ad :)
yes children's memorial yesterday, no boston combined today

Long time lurker but never posted.
Here is where I got so far:
NS/LIJ, UMDNJ childrens hospital, Yale, Brown, St Chris, Thomas Jefferson, NEMC(tufts), NYU, UCONN, UMaryland, New York Medical College in Westchester

Got the Big boot from: CHOP (pretty much based on my CAF alone), Cornell (quite ungraceful email) and Boston Childrens ( email was a much nicer read)

Still waiting on : Mt Sinai, Montefiore, National, Columbia(not much hope here) and a couple of other bits and bobs places

Good luck to all and I look forward to seeing some of you on the trail.

Boston Children's, baby!!

Also just got UCLA, CHLA, Oakland...

Still no CHOP....

Invites so far:

Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, OHSU, Arizona, Phoenix Children's, Denver

Still waiting:

U Wash, CHLA, Oakland Children's

As far as begging via email, I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger....

Invites so far: MGH, Boston Combined CH/BMC, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Brown, UMASS, UCSF, Kaiser Oakland

Waiting to hear from: NEMC, CH Oakland, CHLA

Ouch - got dinged from both Boston Children's and Stanford today. I definitely expected it, but I wish responses from the top programs could've come alongside my good acceptances. This post-Dean's Letter time has kinda sucked. :(

At least the letters were timely and *much* better done than Cornell. Very professional of them, as you'd expect. :thumbup:

With you Lara, got the nay-no from Stanford today too. :( Oh well.

Congrats to all those who got invites from Boston Children's today.

Sadly, I won't be joining you all either. Got the boot from Boston & Stanford today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very sad that I was rejected from BCRP today. A part of me wishes that I hadn't rotated there so that I could have convinced myself that I wouldn't have liked it there anyway.

Has anybody heard from U. Washington????

I got the boot from them today too, I'm actually not disappointed at all, as I probably shouldn't have even applied, I don't think its a program I'd be happy at. FYI, I have a friend now in her second year there and the program is not exactly nice to its residents and is very fellow run. So for those of you, like me, who didn't get an interview; no worries, you probably wouldn't have liked it anyway.

I got the "letter" from BCRP today too. Oh well. I didn't really want to go there anyways...um..yeah I'll tell myself that!

Seattle has sent out some interview offers, but it was to the people who wrote them and requested one of their October or early November interview slots. I have not heard of them sending out any offers since then.

U of Washington sent me an early invite for November last week but since I couldn't make their dates, they threw me back in the pile and told me I would find out Nov. 10 (tomorrow) whether or not I get another offer - that's when their big general invite goes out. Not sure how I feel about this...

LaFondaDynamite said:
Vandy, Denver, and Cinci have all sent out some offers, but it's still early, so I'm sure more will come...

Update on Vandy -- my friend called and they told him they were reviewing Dean's letters, and people (or he, at least) would start hearing early next week, probably.

Other than that... I've had nothing new since mid-October. Grrrr....

Well, UWash is sending out waitlist notifications today :( making this the second time in my life that particular school has waitlisted me for an interview.

it would appear that Duke has notified no one; Vandy and Denver have apparently sent out a handful of invites to their own students / visiting students but i have yet to see anyone outside these categories get an invite to either school. no biggie for those that are worried, everyone is in the same boat you are.

UWash said no thanks. :( Darn, I'd have really liked Seattle.

ETA - Also booted from UCSD just now (6:45 PM EST). At least that one saves a tough decision - I'm not sure I'd have wanted to go due to their last match.

got a rejection from Vandy today, was super suprised as my chairman said it would be a safety; I guess times are changing

U Wash, minutes ago by e-mail.

I didn't realize until popping my head back in here that they were doing a wait list or whatever.

Not bad...11 apps, 11 offers. Whew!

fishmonger69 said:
it would appear that Duke has notified no one; Vandy and Denver have apparently sent out a handful of invites to their own students / visiting students but i have yet to see anyone outside these categories get an invite to either school. no biggie for those that are worried, everyone is in the same boat you are.

as i said a couple of days ago, i received invites from both vandy and denver. i attend a state school that is neither of those, and i have never rotated, looked at, known anyone, etc. at either of these schools. that is to say that in fact, vandy and denver have sent out invites to some students already, but i'm sure more are to come. just trying to clear up some false information out there...

Columbia this afternoon. Not sure what time bc ERAS says 3:58, my email says 2:37, but it didn't show up in my inbox until 5:30pm. . .very weird.

i have not heard anything from chla yet as well

Cardsfan said:
as i said a couple of days ago, i received invites from both vandy and denver. i attend a state school that is neither of those, and i have never rotated, looked at, known anyone, etc. at either of these schools. that is to say that in fact, vandy and denver have sent out invites to some students already, but i'm sure more are to come. just trying to clear up some false information out there...

pardon my mistake. i was going by 1) information from students at both institutions, 2) students who had done aways at both institutions and 3) info from faculty who had spoken with each program about their plans. congrats on the interviews.

Heard from U Wash and CHLA today...although I think the only reason I got CHLA today was that I called to see if they might interview me in the next couple of weeks while I'm in LA for an away rotation.

funnygirl said:
got a rejection from Vandy today, was super suprised as my chairman said it would be a safety; I guess times are changing

Same here. The lovely email arrived not so long after I posted my little update. Go figure. :p My friend who called, however, has not heard yet. Hmm. Makes me wonder if I should have called, or if it would have mattered at all...

Long time lurker, first time post.
Interviews: Pittsburgh, Rainbow, Northwestern, Cincin, CHOP, Boston, Baylor, Stanford, CNMC, Columbia, Seattle, DEnver

Only places i didnt hear from were Denver and UCSF. Emailed them both and at first got a response from Denver saying they are still going through their 735 applications. Next day i got an interview (this was yesterday). For UCSF - havent heard anything from them depsite asking for some sort of status (i want to finalize my west coast trip since im all the way in the east). Kinda irks me that they dont seem to care - no way im flying out there twice; my wallet would need life support!

2 questions for you guys:
1) Anyone know if UCSF is done inviting - i know a couple people have heard from them; should i just count them out at this point?

2) Anyone else go to the early interview at U Wash (Seattle) yet? Care to describe their experience? I go on Monday... will post afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

abcyxz said:
2) Anyone else go to the early interview at U Wash (Seattle) yet? Care to describe their experience? I go on Monday... will post afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

Sure, I went to UW a couple weeks back.

Day started off with morning report, then a program overview from one of the chiefs (all of whom were extremely laid back, friendly, and pretty funny too). Afterwards, we met with one of the PDs who sat down and answered any questions the group of about 10 applicants had...and no big changes in program are anticipated there.
After a short break, the interviews began.
One thing I really liked was that they made an effort to look at your interests/hobbies list, and pair you up with a faculty member with similar interests. It was more conversational than a formal interview.
After the 1st faculty interview was a student interview, again matched to interests. Mine was a really nice R2.
Next was noon conference, then lunch with the residents. Plenty of residents came by and answered any questions we all had.
After lunch was the hospital tour for about 45 minutes, followed by one last faculty interview.
Oh yeah, all the interviews were 45 minutes, but very informal. For most of the applicants, it took place in the coffee shop, or on the patio (pretty nice day). I could overhear a couple of the interviews, and it seemed like lots of laughing and friendly conversation, as opposed to a stiff Q&A session.
Finally, there was a wrap-up with the associate PD, who was also very nice, and answered any more questions anyone had, and hung out a little while afterwards talking with any individual applicant who had questions.

Overall, I'd say huge thumbs up. Everyone was very outgoing and pleasant. Even post-call people smiled. PD's seemed very willing to listen to current student input. Good educational program. They're very proud of the WWAMI program, and with good reason. Definitely look into this before heading there for the interview. Being in Seattle, they do a great job getting funds from the Gates foundation. Their resident-run CHIMPS program for international health is another huge plus there.

Hope this helps, and good luck to all...

Not much action yesterday. Does it seem like most of the invites come at the beginning of the week and taper off by the end? Still waiting on OHSU darn it!

Another question, does anyone have any idea what the prospects of getting off of an interview waitlist are? Is it likely not gonna happen? I know it's not an easy question but has anyone ever heard of sombody getting off of a waitlist?

Thanks

I have heard of people getting off waitlists, especially as the interview season really gets going and folks start cancelling later interviews.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten any rejections from Columbia, Montefiore, Mt Sinai ro NYU yet? I'm still waiting to hear from them. Have they just not sent out rejections yet or am I still in the running? Any ideas?

Bajillionaire said:
Not much action yesterday. Does it seem like most of the invites come at the beginning of the week and taper off by the end? Still waiting on OHSU darn it!

I contacted OHSU at the beginning of the week and they said I'd hear back "very soon". Sure sounded like a matter of a couple of days, but I guess I underestimated. :p btw, I also called Oakland and they said they were still reviewing. I think those two are my last possibilities on the West Coast.

Swell! Just got off of the UWash waitlist. Offered me one date which I eagerly snatched up like hawk!

EDIT: crap! didn't realize that they open it up to other people. apparently it's a race! I replied by email as soon as I got the note. Next time I'll call I guess. back to :(

Got an invitation to interview at Southern California Kaiser today.
Just waiting for OHSU, UCSF, UCLA

just got Columbia and Johns Hopkins today, I'm in shock and disbelief

Rejection from OHSU and Brown (darn) - and the day's still young. :p :(

I figure if I keep posting I ought to be rewarded with *one* more acceptance LOL.

Have not posted in a REALLY long time, but I thought I would chime in. I go to a pretty good school and have decent grades. Did kinda crappy on Step I, but CV has lots of extracurriculars and some publications.

Interview offers: Baylor, Phoenix, Memphis, Chicago Memorial, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Rainbow Babies, DC, Dupont, Cinci, Seattle, UNC.

Withdrew my application from OHSU, Cleveland clinic, Wisconsin, DC children's, and Duke. (With further thought, could not imagine living in those places. Portland is really pretty, but far from home.)

Still waiting to hear from Denver and UCSF (I am not too hopeful for either one.)

Just took Step II CS. Man did it stink.

So the gist I am getting that there a bunch of people waiting to hear from UCSF still? Ive heard from everywhere, including all the cali schools cept for that one... the worst thing about it is that there is no way to get in touch with anyone at the program to figure out whats going on and they dont respond to emails.... totally sucks for us easterners who are tryin to save money by not flying back and forth 10 times.... anyone know anything about when i and others should hear??

oh ya... the UWash interview was awesome... just got back from it. Ill write a review of it tomorrow - i wouldnt do it justice by writing it now.

thanks!

pippergal said:
Have not posted in a REALLY long time, but I thought I would chime in. I go to a pretty good school and have decent grades. Did kinda crappy on Step I, but CV has lots of extracurriculars and some publications.

Interview offers: Baylor, Phoenix, Memphis, Chicago Memorial, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Rainbow Babies, DC, Dupont, Cinci, Seattle, UNC.

Withdrew my application from OHSU, Cleveland clinic, Wisconsin, DC children's, and Duke. (With further thought, could not imagine living in those places. Portland is really pretty, but far from home.)

Still waiting to hear from Denver and UCSF (I am not too hopeful for either one.)

Just took Step II CS. Man did it stink.

i guess mt sinai is still sending out invites as i received one today. made my day

First time posting....
I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on Cooper university in NJ? I guess more specifically cooper vs. Maimonides?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

OHSU said no today. :(
UCLA said yes though. :)