Why are you guys choosing third tier trash medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Socrates25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated med school in 2008 so I'm a little older and crankier and don't understand what you guys are doing.

For those of you not aware, the term "third tier trash" used to apply to law schools, because they were opening up like McDonalds.

I hate to say this, but it now applies to med schools too.

Consider that in the last 20 years, there have been over 80 new medical schools (DO and MD). The prior 20 years before that, there were only 7 new medical schools.

Now we have Walmart opening medical schools in podunk Bentonville with a population of 50k -- Walmart heir's nonprofit to start new integrative medical school in Arkansas

We have for-profit med schools opening everywhere too.

I'm sorry but Walmart is a third tier trash med school
So are all the for-profit schools
So are all the schools opened in small towns that nobody has ever heard of before
So are all the schools opened in towns that dont even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year

Those things would have been UNTHINKABLE 20 years ago and now they are commonplace.

Medical school used to be something you could be proud of -- now it's a vocational tech program and nothing more.

If this trend continues, expect that just like law school, the name of the med school you go to will dictate everything.

No more dermatology matches from low tier schools, just like a white-shoe law firm won't touch a law grad from Dayton even if they are #1 rank in their class with a 4.0 GPA

There's a reckoning coming and it has nothing to do with socialized medicine or politics.

Anybody who attends Walmart Medical School should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 30 users
So what defines a non-trash school

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated med school in 2008 so I'm a little older and crankier and don't understand what you guys are doing.

For those of you not aware, the term "third tier trash" used to apply to law schools, because they were opening up like McDonalds.

Consider that in the last 20 years, there have been over 80 new medical schools (DO and MD). The prior 20 years before that, there were only 7 new medical schools.

Now we have Walmart opening medical schools in podunk Bentonville with a population of 50k -- Walmart heir's nonprofit to start new integrative medical school in Arkansas

So are all the schools opened in small towns that nobody has ever heard of before
So are all the schools opened in towns that dont even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year

Those things would have been UNTHINKABLE 20 years ago and now they are commonplace.

Medical school used to be something you could be proud of -- now it's a vocational tech program and nothing more.

If this trend continues, expect that just like law school, the name of the med school you go to will dictate everything.

No more dermatology matches from low tier schools, just like a white-shoe law firm won't touch a law grad from Dayton even if they are #1 rank in their class with a 4.0 GPA

There's a reckoning coming and it has nothing to do with socialized medicine or politics.

Anybody who attends Walmart Medical School should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves.

I think you might've missed the fact that in the last 15 years admissions standards have exponentially increased.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 70 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: 53 users
So what defines a non-trash school
The main thing is clinical rotations.

A med school is solid if it can guarantee all of it's clinical rotations in the same hospital or city.

Many of these third tier trash joke med schools exist in cities with no more than a 50 bed mini hospital with only 2 or 3 subspecialties represented.

Reactions: 10 users
I think you might've missed the fact that in the last 15 years admissions standards have exponentially increased.

Please explain.

USMLE is already pass/fail now.

How long will it be until the MCAT is "optional"?

Hell isn't it already optional at some of these clown schools?

• Dislike
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I can actually kinda see (logically) where OP is coming from and definitely interested in hearing what peoples' opinions to OP's hot take is.

Reactions: 19 users
Honestly i wasn't expecting a 10+ year SDNer to post inflammatory troll threads bashing US med schools

Tell me where I'm wrong.

20 years ago if I posted an article about the Walmart School of Medicine people would have accused me of faking the article on my computer.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Why are you yelling at us? Shouldn't you be using your authority as an attending to lobby your own generation from destroying this profession? We're not the ones creating these schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 95 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me where I'm wrong.

20 years ago if I posted an article about the Walmart School of Medicine people would have accused me of faking the article on my computer.
what's your point? 20 years ago you would've laughed at me if I told you you could listen to music, watch videos, and take pictures on your phone and it could still fit into your pocket

• Haha
Reactions: 27 users
Tell me where I'm wrong.

There wasn't an arms race 20 years ago. Walmart medicine may look like it's trash but just being a US MD school is enough for a giant horde of hungry premeds to fight each other for a spot and drive the median stats up, making the school bizarrely popular

Reactions: 7 users
If you build it, they will come. There are also tons of applicants with amazing credentials who get passed over every year for stupid things like being from California, being an ORM, being too young/old, having a bad but outdated GPA, etc., weighing them down who are probably disillusioned with the whole prestige-worshipping nature of medical education. You see the end result when you see the DO or occasional Caribbean grad excel past his/her MD peers and this is usually why.

It’s not like any of the factors schools use to assess students actually translate to anything in medicine. How useful were organic chemistry or anything on the Medical College Admissions Test in being a resident? Premedical/biological sciences are the biggest brain rot ever. Seriously… I wish I’d majored in engineering or something practical rather than memorizing stupid proteins thinking it would have made a difference now. The minutiae of biology/chemistry are not a requisite to understanding how the human body works.

To be clear, I do think medicine is worth it but the path to it is not truly preparing us for what the practice of medicine is. It’s just arbitrarily selecting for characteristics the 20th century valued that have nothing to do with what makes a good physician in the 21st century. Many like myself are fortunate that we happen to be good people who like science and are fulfilled with our career but many are not and it’s partly because the terrible system preceding the practice of medicine and even during some of medical school when I studied.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
Not only new schools are popping up and being popular, the admins of existing schools have become extremely extremely powerful since they know how thirsty and fierce premeds are and can do whatever they want.

I fully expect debt and med school costs of attendance to shoot up dramatically

If you build it, they will come. There are also tons of applicants with amazing credentials who get passed over every year for stupid things like being from California, being an ORM, being too young/old, having an bad but outdated GPA, etc. weighing them down who are probably fed up and don’t care anout buying into the whole prestige-worshipping nature of medical education. It’s not like any of the factors schools use to assess students mean much when they get to medical school. How useful were organic chemistry and the MCAT in any of this?

I'm sorry but nobody who attends the Walmart School of Medicine has amazing credentials. Those are people who would have gone to some bottom barrel medical school in Eastern Europe before this option became available.

• Haha
  • Okay...
I'm sorry but nobody who attends the Walmart School of Medicine has amazing credentials. Those are people who would have gone to some bottom barrel medical school in Eastern Europe before this option became available.
Most premeds don't care about credentials. They care about getting that juicy medical degree before ending up jobless because hospitals and corporations believe they can be easily replaced by midlevels. Two specialties in EM and radonc are already dead. I fully expect the problems will be worse with crushingly worse debt.

There i knocked out several hot topics on SDN at once

• Haha
  • Wow
I attend an unquestionably "low tier" new MD program that just announced that its current incoming class has an average 90th percentile MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I'm not saying we're world beaters, but to say that my peers would have gone to bottom barrel medical schools in EE if our school and others like it didn't exist is pretty amusing.

Reactions: 23 users
I attend an unquestionably "low tier" new MD program that just announced that its current incoming class has an average 90th percentile MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I'm not saying we're world beaters, but to say that my peers would have gone to bottom barrel medical schools in EE if our school and others like it didn't exist is pretty amusing.
I don't think OP is wrong on that. There are a crap ton of premeds which is why the COCA expansion and Caribbean business model are being even stronger than ever. I definitely think those 3.7/510+ premeds will go overseas if it means they'll become a doctor

Reactions: 3 users

It’s not Walmart Medical School. It’s a medical school in Arkansas paid for buy an heir of the Walmart guy. The goal’s is to recruit/retain talent in Arkansas. The first admitted class isn’t even announced yet so we don’t know what kind of applicants they’re getting to make such a judgment.

That said, I still get your point about for-profit medical schools like the one in California. With those, if it’s an MD school realize that their match lists are still good and students ultimately choose a school to match a good residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The problem lies with corporations and LCME/COCA (and Caribbean schools) exploiting the ever growing demand from hungry premeds. This is worsened by the massive propaganda and disinformation campaign that there's a physician shortage combined with an aggressive smear campaign against anyone who's remotely concerned or interested in the finances because "altruism" and "medicine is a calling and not a job". It's these factors that are contributing to and worsening the rot.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you could probably be a little less argumentative and pejorative in your description of these for-profit schools, but you do have a point. For a long time students have been told that it doesn't matter where you go to med school because you can match any specialty from any US school. With a proliferation in the number of schools, residency spots being more or less static and step 1 going P/F, I do think it is getting increasingly difficult to match competitive specialties from lesser-known schools. This is a problem which will likely increase in the coming 5-10 years.

I do think that in choosing to go to one of these schools, students probably need to seriously consider how happy they will be in medicine if they are not able to pursue a glamorous competitive specialty. I think we're still a ways off from US grads being in any serious danger of being unable to find *a* residency spot in less competitive specialties, even coming from these non-name-brand schools.

Reactions: 24 users
Lol so glad i needed approval from this guy to have attended/graduated from my trash med school.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 38 users
Then why don’t you do something about it? You’re an attending with a lot more clout to advocate against the problems you’re complaining about than premeds/medstudents/residents in this thread.

If you think the country is making **** doctors and feel passionately about then you are certainly able to be in a position to change things for the better. I and many others would admire you for it.

But if you’re not, then this is basically an “old man yells at cloud” scenario.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 46 users
I'm curious if OP feels that a lot of residencies are undeserving of accreditation too. I'd take a Walmart US MD over a Caribbean grad, and we rely on IMG to fill a huge portion of our residencies in less competitive locations and fields.

• Hmm
It’s not Walmart Medical School. It’s a medical school in Arkansas paid for buy an heir of the Walmart guy. The goal’s is to recruit/retain talent in Arkansas. The first admitted class isn’t even announced yet so we don’t know what kind of applicants they’re getting to make such a judgment.

That said, I still get your point about for-profit medical schools like the one in California. With those, if it’s an MD school realize that their match lists are still good and students ultimately choose a school to match a good residency.

Private businessmen have no business operating medical schools. They should be based at major universities.

What's next? Is McDonalds going to run an MBA program?

Private businessmen have no business operating medical schools. They should be based at major universities.

Yeah and hospitals are ran by people who've never smelled a patient before. Companies that are in the business in making a profit and NOT in helping patients. Thanks in large part to crappy doctors that helped sell the profession.

What else?

Reactions: 16 users
This thread delivers. BRB popcorn. OP tell more people how much their lives suck and they’re stupid for wasting them.

• Haha
The main thing is clinical rotations.

A med school is solid if it can guarantee all of it's clinical rotations in the same hospital or city.

Many of these third tier trash joke med schools exist in cities with no more than a 50 bed mini hospital with only 2 or 3 subspecialties represented.
By that logic Geffen is trash as some of the rotations are as far as Bakersfield etc.

I don't disagree with all of OP's points: there are serious concerns over clinical rotations at some of these schools, especially the ones that scatter med students across the state to all different hospitals. Pre-meds should be wary of these schools. But on my interview trail, applicants mostly asked questions about pre-clinicals, and didn't even know what questions to ask about clinical training. Pre-clinicals are fine, they're whatever. You'll get through them and pass step 1, and move on, having learned the material. It's the clinical rotations that really vary between schools, and that makes all the difference.

The problem is that it's posted in the med school forum, whereas it should really be posted in the pre-med forum, as a warning/guidance to pre-meds to avoid certain types of schools. Unless you are trying to tell people that you're better than them because they went to a "trash" school.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

I absolutely agree PE has no business running a medical school. A medical school should be built when there are adequate infrastructure and people with expertise in foundational fields of medicine including internal medicine, medicine subspecialties, surgery, surgery subspecialties, pediatrics, ob/gyn, psychiatry, neurology, EM, anesthesiology to provide an actual medical education to students. Someone mentioned how their medical school doesn't have an IM residency. That is insane.

I don't disagree with all of OP's points: there are serious concerns over clinical rotations at some of these schools, especially the ones that scatter med students across the state to all different hospitals. Pre-meds should be wary of these schools. But on my interview trail, applicants mostly asked questions about pre-clinicals, and didn't even know what questions to ask about clinical training. Pre-clinicals are fine, they're whatever. You'll get through them and pass step 1, and move on, having learned the material. It's the clinical rotations that really vary between schools, and that makes all the difference.

The problem is that it's posted in the med school forum, whereas it should really be posted in the pre-med forum, as a warning/guidance to pre-meds to avoid certain types of schools. Unless you are trying to tell people that you're better than them because they went to a "trash" school.
This. I tried in 2018.

I'd like to pose my question again @Socrates25 - should we shut down the thousands and thousands of residency spots populated by IMGs since their educations may have been even more problematic than what's offered at the CNU and WalMartMed type programs?

• Dislike
Yup. Friend of mine attends such a school. Students get sent all over the country (regional) for rotations. OBGYN for example is such low volume that students are sent home by 9-10 AM at best and if you skip a few days the school will never know. Same for psych and FM.
Yeah and that's crazy. This is why these schools shouldn't exist. I don't care if McDonalds, home of the MI, wants to open a medical school. If they have people and the passion to teach medicine, I could care less about how they brand the school or how it sounds. Medical school's proprietary ingredient is the patients and doctors to teach students, not the preclerkship curriculum, PhDs, gimmicks, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with OP, delivery is a bit off but the overall message is right on. The expanding schools will just lead to more unmatched students and the "solution" to this problem will be to eventually expand residencies, turning everything into EM and corporate america will have taken over every field in medicine. Just look at my home state of texas. In the past 5 years we have had 4 new med schools open with another planned to open in the next 3-4 years, and its not like these schools are filling a major gap, they have small class sizes and the return on opening these schools is not there. Then you look at all the new DO schools popping up everywhere......... I am just a med student, but I have noticed that a lot of people in medicine like to just roll over to admins or corps/the gov. We need people like OP to run the medical field, tough love is much needed.

I agree with OP, delivery is a bit off but the overall message is right on. The expanding schools will just lead to more unmatched students and the "solution" to this problem will be to eventually expand residencies, turning everything into EM and corporate america will have taken over every field in medicine. Just look at my home state of texas. In the past 5 years we have had 4 new med schools open with another planned to open in the next 3-4 years, and its not like these schools are filling a major gap, they have small class sizes and the return on opening these schools is not there. Then you look at all the new DO schools popping up everywhere......... I am just a med student, but I have noticed that a lot of people in medicine like to just roll over to admins or corps/the gov. We need people like OP to run the medical field, tough love is much needed.
Again if someone's getting displaced by expansion it's not US MDs or DOs, its international applicants. In spite of the recent expansion weve kept what, 90% and 95% match rates for DO and MD respectively? And many of those 1/10 or 1/20 could have matched, they just didnt apply to backup specialties/locations

Not to single any school out but go look at Noorda's thread. Tons of hopeful premeds gushing about how it's their "top choice" and "the best medical school they've ever seen" and how it will have "the best research (research dean is chiropractor/phd)" despite it being a new school. They go out of their way to show off their credentials on Q & As.
I'm proud of the fact I didn't apply to any For Profit DO schools or new branch campuses, but even my list had a couple problematic schools (LECOM B, LMU-DCOM), as I had to apply broadly unfortunately.

Again if someone's getting displaced by expansion it's not US MDs or DOs, its international applicants. In spite of the recent expansion weve kept what, 90% and 95% match rates for DO and MD respectively? And many of those 1/10 or 1/20 could have matched, they just didnt apply to backup specialties/locations
Right USMD will be forever safe in terms of matching, but there will be calls to expand residency as politicians/corporations/admins look at the expansion of medical seat and then will claim that new residency seats must follow the medical school seat expansion. The politicians and the like know that expansion is not to solve the physician's shortage (it is not a shortage either, rather a misallocation because people do not want to live in rural america), the goal is to limit physician bargaining power. This ends up making the insurance guys more $, or if socialized medicine becomes a thing, it will make mitch mcconell, nancy pelosi and the other corrupt politicians in DC richer off of physicians work.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a long post, but I want to respond just to give my 2 cents
I hope then you will understand my good will behind this post, and that I am trying to help you understand why we may think this way. I think a lot has changed in the past ~20 years in medical school admissions (assuming you applied for the 2003-2004 cycle or somewhere near), and that you will have good will to try to understand us too.

I understand the sentiment of this post - there are definitely multiple law school "tiers" that people discuss, and I agree that law schools that are not top tier have difficult times finding jobs. Referring to this public data, there are over 150 schools that have graduates' employment rate of <70% at the time of graduation, and over 70 schools that have the graduates' employment rate of <70% 10 months after graduation. Furthermore, with limitations of job openings at prestigious firms, it would only make sense that school prestige for law school would matter a lot. This explains why people are so fixated in T-14 law schools, as prestige for medical schools matter. Furthermore, the bar pass rate for all the law schools range greatly - from ~40%-100% for first time pass rate, which does also hint that maybe, there is a difference in quality of education in different institutions. This may explain your concern and your intuition to attend top schools for law for two reasons: 1) number of jobs available 2) differences in quality of educations

However, medical school is a different story. First, regarding the employment rate, we should look at match rates for medical schools across the country. NRMP shows that the average match rate for US MD and US DO schools are around 90% (93.9% and 90.7% respectively), while IMG match rates are 61.6%. It would be hard to prove that this data is high only because of top 20 schools "carrying" the average, as the lowest ranked school (according to US News, wanted to emphasize that in no means this school is "third tier trash") still has a match percentage of 96% (link 1, number of students matched, link 2, class size). Thus, we see that despite which schools they come from, whether it be a T20 or a lowly-ranked school according to US News, the schools are able to match extremely well. You do mention how "for-profit" schools and schools founded in towns that we never heard of are also "third tier trash schools," but seeing a for profit school (Cal Northstate), they were able to match ~99% post-SOAP, which is still an impressive number compared to the employment rates in law school (I know this is post SOAP, but the idea is the graduates were able to get a job. SOAP sucks and I understand this number may hide the pre-SOAP). Secondly, the quality of education - we see the bar pass rates have extreme fluctuation, but USNews reports an average 87% pass rate for both Step 1 and Step 2 for the 10 ranked schools with lowest USMLE pass rates.

Thus, if a medical school is able to 1) provide a medical education sufficient enough for students to pass USMLE exams and 2) allow graduates to match pretty well, wouldn't it be not fair to call them a "third tier trash" school? The idea of "third tier trash" school is the fact that schools are just created to gather money and pump out grads who may or may not get jobs, but so far the "third tier trash" schools that you mentioned have been giving sufficient medical education and sufficient number of grads who match well. In no means I am defending for-profit schools though, as I am skeptical about their business model, but they are not evidently troublesome as Caribbean MD schools.

I want to address two things, first, this is not a school founded by "Walmart," but a nonprofit organization founded by Walmart heir Alice Walton. This shouldn't matter much, but I think with the negative perception of Walmart, calling the school simply a "Walmart Medical School" could subconsciously have a negative look to it. Second, opening schools in a place in a place where there are physician shortages may be crucial in bringing people in - I unfortunately do not have evidence for this off my mind, but I do remember seeing a study talking about how the best way to encourage people to stay within the area is to open education systems around it. This parallels the vision of this school where the article states: "Alice Walton's vision begins here in Arkansas with the School of Medicine as an integral part of the growing and vibrant Northwest Arkansas community effort to become a premier healthcare destination." It wants to encourage people to practice there, so opening a school there would make sense.

Don't let the name Walmart deceive you: there are qualified people preparing to open the school:

Those involved in the project include Founding Dean Elly Xenakis, M.D., who is formerly the division chief of the maternal-fetal medicine division, and residency program director in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

Colleen O'Connor, who is formerly the associate dean of curricular Affairs at the Duke University School of Medicine has been named executive vice dean. Adam Rindfleisch, M.D., who is formerly an associate professor in the department of family medicine and the medical director in integrative health at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health was named vice dean for education.

Opening everywhere may be an exaggeration, there seems to be three schools proposed in 2020, definitely an increase but not "opening everywhere"

We can't openly say that "Walmart" is a third tier trash school when we did not give a chance; if the students pass the USMLE first time at a high rate, and are able to graduate with a good match list, why would it be trash? As stated above also, qualified individuals are helping to prepare open schools. It produces the physicians like it promised, hopefully in the Arkansas area as their vision follows. Clumping all for-profit schools, schools that open in small towns are issues.

However, I do agree with the concerns of your last point: So are all the schools opened in towns that don't even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year. I still don't think they would be a "third tier trash" school as you mentioned because schools that have these systems are still able to produce students who pass the USMLE/COMLEX well (I believe ICOM would be an example). However, it can be definitely a challenge.

With acceptance rates still single digits for most schools, I think this is an over exaggeration. However, your next few points about the trend, I cannot argue - this is speculation, and it's something that may be possible. Yet I believe this is an issue that does not cause huge concern at the moment as all the schools so far have been producing a high percentage of physicians matching in difficult specialties with good USMLE pass rates.

And lastly, with students having to rack up 300+ hours of clinical hours, 300+ hours of non clinical hours, an MCAT score above ~70% percentile, a competitive GPA of around 3.7, 300+ hours of research and much more to make their application even viewed seriously by an ADCOM nowadays, I do not think any students who attend a US medical school you should ashamed of themselves.

Finishing off, I understand the concern of your post - it seems like you are concerned with medical school that will be created to only take money and provide an insufficient number of physicians. We are too, and that is why SDN strongly advises against Caribbean MD schools as it does everything that you seem to despise. Furthermore, you seem to be concerned with an increased number of medical school that would render all lower tiers useless, but the numbers simply don't tell that story... yet. Maybe I'm an optimist, but it is too early to assume that medical education from here is just going downwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users

I hope then you will understand my good will behind this post, and that I am trying to help you understand why we may think this way. I think a lot has changed in the past ~20 years in medical school admissions (assuming you applied for the 2003-2004 cycle or somewhere near), and that you will have good will to try to understand us too.

I understand the sentiment of this post - there are definitely multiple law school "tiers" that people discuss, and I agree that law schools that are not top tier have difficult times finding jobs. Referring to this public data, there are over 150 schools that have graduates' employment rate of <70% at the time of graduation, and over 70 schools that have the graduates' employment rate of <70% 10 months after graduation. Furthermore, with limitations of job openings at prestigious firms, it would only make sense that school prestige for law school would matter a lot. This explains why people are so fixated in T-14 law schools, as prestige for medical schools matter. Furthermore, the bar pass rate for all the law schools range greatly - from ~40%-100% for first time pass rate, which does also hint that maybe, there is a difference in quality of education in different institutions. This may explain your concern and your intuition to attend top schools for law for two reasons: 1) number of jobs available 2) differences in quality of educations

However, medical school is a different story. First, regarding the employment rate, we should look at match rates for medical schools across the country. NRMP shows that the average match rate for US MD and US DO schools are around 90% (93.9% and 90.7% respectively), while IMG match rates are 61.6%. It would be hard to prove that this data is high only because of top 20 schools "carrying" the average, as the lowest ranked school (according to US News, wanted to emphasize that in no means this school is "third tier trash") still has a match percentage of 96% (link 1, number of students matched, link 2, class size). Thus, we see that despite which schools they come from, whether it be a T20 or a lowly-ranked school according to US News, the schools are able to match extremely well. You do mention how "for-profit" schools and schools founded in towns that we never heard of are also "third tier trash schools," but seeing a for profit school (Cal Northstate), they were able to match ~99% post-SOAP, which is still an impressive number compared to the employment rates in law school (I know this is post SOAP, but the idea is the graduates were able to get a job. SOAP sucks and I understand this number may hide the pre-SOAP). Secondly, the quality of education - we see the bar pass rates have extreme fluctuation, but USNews reports an average 87% pass rate for both Step 1 and Step 2 for the 10 ranked schools with lowest USMLE pass rates.

Thus, if a medical school is able to 1) provide a medical education sufficient enough for students to pass USMLE exams and 2) allow graduates to match pretty well, wouldn't it be not fair to call them a "third tier trash" school? The idea of "third tier trash" school is the fact that schools are just created to gather money and pump out grads who may or may not get jobs, but so far the "third tier trash" schools that you mentioned have been giving sufficient medical education and sufficient number of grads who match well. In no means I am defending for-profit schools though, as I am skeptical about their business model, but they are not evidently troublesome as Caribbean MD schools.

I want to address two things, first, this is not a school founded by "Walmart," but a nonprofit organization founded by Walmart heir Alice Walton. This shouldn't matter much, but I think with the negative perception of Walmart, calling the school simply a "Walmart Medical School" could subconsciously have a negative look to it. Second, opening schools in a place in a place where there are physician shortages may be crucial in bringing people in - I unfortunately do not have evidence for this off my mind, but I do remember seeing a study talking about how the best way to encourage people to stay within the area is to open education systems around it. This parallels the vision of this school where the article states: "Alice Walton's vision begins here in Arkansas with the School of Medicine as an integral part of the growing and vibrant Northwest Arkansas community effort to become a premier healthcare destination." It wants to encourage people to practice there, so opening a school there would make sense.

Don't let the name Walmart deceive you: there are qualified people preparing to open the school:

Those involved in the project include Founding Dean Elly Xenakis, M.D., who is formerly the division chief of the maternal-fetal medicine division, and residency program director in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

Colleen O'Connor, who is formerly the associate dean of curricular Affairs at the Duke University School of Medicine has been named executive vice dean. Adam Rindfleisch, M.D., who is formerly an associate professor in the department of family medicine and the medical director in integrative health at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health was named vice dean for education.

Opening everywhere may be an exaggeration, there seems to be three schools proposed in 2020, definitely an increase but not "opening everywhere"

We can't openly say that "Walmart" is a third tier trash school when we did not give a chance; if the students pass the USMLE first time at a high rate, and are able to graduate with a good match list, why would it be trash? As stated above also, qualified individuals are helping to prepare open schools. It produces the physicians like it promised, hopefully in the Arkansas area as their vision follows. Clumping all for-profit schools, schools that open in small towns are issues.

However, I do agree with the concerns of your last point: So are all the schools opened in towns that don't even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year. I still don't think they would be a "third tier trash" school as you mentioned because schools that have these systems are still able to produce students who pass the USMLE/COMLEX well (I believe ICOM would be an example). However, it can be definitely a challenge.

With acceptance rates still single digits for most schools, I think this is an over exaggeration. However, your next few points about the trend, I cannot argue - this is speculation, and it's something that may be possible. Yet I believe this is an issue that does not cause huge concern at the moment as all the schools so far have been producing a high percentage of physicians matching in difficult specialties with good USMLE pass rates.

And lastly, with students having to rack up 300+ hours of clinical hours, 300+ hours of non clinical hours, an MCAT score above ~70% percentile, a competitive GPA of around 3.7, 300+ hours of research and much more to make their application even viewed seriously by an ADCOM nowadays, I do not thing any students who attend a US medical school you should ashamed of themselves.

Finishing off, I understand the concern of your post - it seems like you are concerned with medical school that will be created to only take money and provide an insufficient number of physicians. We are too, and that is why SDN strongly advises against Caribbean MD schools as it does everything that you seem to despise. Furthermore, you seem to be concerned with an increased number of medical school that would render all lower tiers useless, but the numbers simply don't tell that story... yet. Maybe I'm an optimist, but it is too early to assume that medical education from here is just going downwards.
The excuse of physician shortage in underserved areas is wrong, almost all the grads end of leaving that area to go to a residency in the city then off to the burbs, just saturating the market

And lastly, with students having to rack up 300+ hours of clinical hours, 300+ hours of non clinical hours, an MCAT score above ~70% percentile, a competitive GPA of around 3.7, 300+ hours of research and much more to make their application even viewed seriously by an ADCOM nowadays, I do not thing any students who attend a US medical school you should ashamed of themselves.

Nailed it. Even "third tier" schools have admissions metrics that predict passing boards and graduating the vast majority of the time, and the real bottleneck for supplying the US with physicians - residency slots - has more than enough IMG slack to accommodate more US schools opening.

The excuse of physician shortage in underserved areas is wrong, almost all the grads end of leaving that area to go to a residency in the city then off to the burbs, just saturating the market
Fair enough if the admission process does not favor in-state applicants over out-of-state applicants!

Fair enough if the admission process does not favor in-state applicants over out-of-state applicants!
Well even with IS people it is a problem. We have 2 border schools here in Texas and everyone who attends these schools has told the admins "we want to stay here and fill the need for physicians in these underserved areas!", then you look at their match list and almost everyone fled to Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio, and those who didn't go out of state.

my admitted school is a weird case then. the state it's in is does have one of the most drastic PCP shortages, and this is reflected in the mission statement. However, the school has a near 90% OOS acceptance rate.

my admitted school is a weird case then. the state it's in is does have one of the most drastic PCP shortages, and this is reflected in the mission statement. However, the school has a near 90% OOS acceptance rate.
I see, then I have nothing towards that, as I don't have the concrete evidence to show at this time that creating a medical school could help (i.e. some evidence showing that without the school at the location, PCP shortages would be worse). However, I still hope the remaining sentiment in my post still stands.

Don’t hate on them before they even have their blue vest ceremony.

• Haha
Reactions: 26 users