You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Why did you pick a bottom/state school?
Started by Reckoner
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Haha nevermind. I see what you did there.
So I can get a 4.0 GPA with no studying at all and have 25 hours a day to study for the MCAT
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because smuggling booze in an extra euphonium case on wind ensemble trips, and scissoring a percussionist whilst wearing a Speedo and going down a hotel water slide on said trips would've been frowned upon at higher ranked schools.
I transferred from an ivy ish school to a state school. I paid $7000 a year compared to $48000. Financially, it just made way more sense.
I actually had an interviewer ask me why I went to a small liberal arts school because he thought I seemed outgoing. The other interviewer was offended for me and told him he wasn't allowed to ask that. LOL
I didn't even know that stereotype existed...I am inferior.
I did poorly in high school.
'Cause my family could afford it.
[/thread]
[/thread]
i've always been a bottom
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These days with rising interest rates and the fact that you likely won't be making money until you're in your late 20s I don't get why more people don't go to state schools. High standardized test scores will somewhat make up for lower undergrad prestige but your debt won't pay itself.
D
deleted577188
Why is a state school synonymous with a "bottom" school?
Why is a state school synonymous with a "bottom" school?
Cuz UVA, Umich and Berkeley are pleb-factories amiriteguys.
D
deleted407021
I was born and raised in a town with a state research university. Just lucky.
Lol at thread, tho. Good one.
Lol at thread, tho. Good one.
Cuz UVA, Umich and Berkeley are pleb-factories amiriteguys.
Good thing I applied to UCLA and UNC as back ups
Good thing I applied to UCLA and UNC as back ups
UCLA is the eternally pregnant ant-queen of pre-med farms. Don't do it.
I picked UChicago because of all the amazing opportunities, challenging classes that will actually prepare me, professors that are actually know their ****, because I got into greaaaaaaaat schools and unless you couldn't get in, why not?
.
Last edited:
I don't want to argue, so I'm not going to say anything you said is true or false. But did you realize you said that in a condescending way? As in, you implied that schools that are non-"greaaaat" unlike UChicago have classes that don't prepare you, or don't have good professors. Again, don't want to argue, but for the sake of future posts, you have to check if you are inadvertently insulting someone. Obviously it doesn't matter here on this anonymous forum, but you have to watch out about saying things like that in real life.I picked UChicago because of all the amazing opportunities, challenging classes that will actually prepare me, professors that are actually know their ****, because I got into greaaaaaaaat schools and unless you couldn't get in, why not?
PS: If you are purposely being silly like everyone else here, disregard this.
What's so different between a state school's, say chemistry class, and an ivy league's chem class? Is it that they move at a faster pace? Cover more topics? Do harder problems? Thanks in advance! 🙂So I can get a 4.0 GPA with no studying at all and have 25 hours a day to study for the MCAT
LMFAO well here, the problems are harder. I did my friends' homework for them and their problems were multiple choice one-liners. Our questions were like paragraphs long.What's so different between a state school's, say chemistry class, and an ivy league's chem class? Is it that they move at a faster pace? Cover more topics? Do harder problems? Thanks in advance! 🙂
Think about it. Ivies (whether they inflate or deflate) NEED to make exams hard and in the case of UChicago, also to ensure a wide range of grades. If we took some exams from state schools, we'd all get 100s (or almost all) and then what? How would UChicago give out grades? All A's, PSH.
And state/easy schools (NOT ALL, please don't yell at me), they'd have so many failure grades.
It's not like I'm speaking out of my ass. I have seen the material. I have taken the classes. I have taken people's classes for them.
You do realize this thread was made to poke fun at my thread, right? But yes, I completely agree with my statement.I don't want to argue, so I'm not going to say anything you said is true or false. But did you realize you said that in a condescending way? As in, you implied that schools that are non-"greaaaat" unlike UChicago have classes that don't prepare you, or don't have good professors. Again, don't want to argue, but for the sake of future posts, you have to check if you are inadvertently insulting someone. Obviously it doesn't matter here on this anonymous forum, but you have to watch out about saying things like that in real life.
PS: If you are purposely being silly like everyone else here, disregard this.
What's so different between a state school's, say chemistry class, and an ivy league's chem class? Is it that they move at a faster pace? Cover more topics? Do harder problems? Thanks in advance! 🙂
The student body is generally more driven and held to a higher standard, so the material is more advanced and the problems are harder.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LMFAO well here, the problems are harder. I did my friends' homework for them and their problems were multiple choice one-liners. Our questions were like paragraphs long.
Think about it. Ivies (whether they inflate or deflate) NEED to make exams hard and in the case of UChicago, also to ensure a wide range of grades. If we took some exams from state schools, we'd all get 100s (or almost all) and then what? How would UChicago give out grades? All A's, PSH.
I wish my "crappy" state school's gen chem exams were multiple choice.
Well at least when you're compared to the students, you're probably very smart so it doesn't matter. 😀I wish my "crappy" state school's gen chem exams were multiple choice.
LMFAO well here, the problems are harder. I did my friends' homework for them and their problems were multiple choice one-liners. Our questions were like paragraphs long.
Think about it. Ivies (whether they inflate or deflate) NEED to make exams hard and in the case of UChicago, also to ensure a wide range of grades. If we took some exams from state schools, we'd all get 100s (or almost all) and then what? How would UChicago give out grades? All A's, PSH.
Perhaps if it was a low ranked state school. Try taking some of the exams at the UC's.
NO PLEASE STOP. DON'T LET THE FLAME WAR BEGIN.I wish my "crappy" state school's gen chem exams were multiple choice.
Sure, but I think all schools can't be compared for various reasons:Perhaps if it was a low ranked state school. Try taking some of the exams at the UC's.
1. Curving on percentages (10 percent A's, 20 percent B's, etc) just depends on the quality of students. The smartest in one place might be the dumbest in another.
2. Exam difficulty.
3. Other none-exam factors. Some places homework, "participation", etc is factored into grades. With curves, if you DON'T do it, you're hurting yourself. If you do it, you're still only compared on exams (unless homework is strictly graded).
4. Grading scales strictly on points. This means if 90%+ averages get As (and etc) you won't be weeded out because you're not compared to others AND probably means exams aren't that hard considering some classes our exam average (B-) is a 50%.
My friend's neurology exam was identifying parts of the brain and other stupid ****. Easy 100% while taking her 4 other Bio/Orgo classes + working full time. So hard for a 100 ranked school.
I saw a Orgo exam where half the questions are definitions to things like Zaitsev's rule and the questions are very basic mechanisms. Purely a memorization test.What's so different between a state school's, say chemistry class, and an ivy league's chem class? Is it that they move at a faster pace? Cover more topics? Do harder problems? Thanks in advance! 🙂
Sure, but I think all schools can't be compared for various reasons:
1. Curving on percentages (10 percent A's, 20 percent B's, etc) just depends on the quality of students. The smartest in one place might be the dumbest in another.
2. Exam difficulty.
3. Other none-exam factors. Some places homework, "participation", etc is factored into grades. With curves, if you DON'T do it, you're hurting yourself. If you do it, you're still only compared on exams (unless homework is strictly graded).
4. Grading scales strictly on points. This means if 90%+ averages get As (and etc) you won't be weeded out because you're not compared to others AND probably means exams aren't that hard considering some classes our exam average (B-) is a 50%.
My friend's neurology exam was identifying parts of the brain and other stupid ****. Easy 100% while taking her 4 other Bio/Orgo classes + working full time. So hard for a 100 ranked school.
I agree. The only point I'm making is that not all state schools will be "easy". My example, again, are ones like the UC's and UMich. In these schools, not only do you have a pool of very bright and hard working individuals, but now the grading scale is about 10-15% A's AND you do not have many of the resources a private school would offer. In a class of 400 people who all are trying to get into that 10-20% margin, you're on your own.
As an anecdote (the way you have yours), I know many people who were accepted to many Ivy League schools but chose to come to a UC instead because of scholarship reasons. I don't know a single one of them who is doing exceptionally well. The people here who do the best on each test aren't necessarily the brightest students, but rather the ones who put in the most amount of time and raw effort into mastering the material completely.
Wait, I thought the "How is it fair" thread was buried somewhere on like page 10 or something. What's going on.
straight rollin in dough. they love me. they really love me. terms and exclusions apply
You'll see how much they love you when you start getting calls for donations as an "alumnus" before you even graduate...straight rollin in dough. they love me. they really love me. terms and exclusions apply
You'll see how much they love you when you start getting calls for donations as an "alumnus" before you even graduate...
And leave donation requests on your chair at graduation.
S
Served
That's where all the blondies are.
State schools in the South are God's gift to menThat's where all the blondies are.
I didn't either until that moment...I didn't even know that stereotype existed...

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chose a large, highly ranked state school over smaller liberal arts schools because I wanted the freedom to take numerous classes in the sciences and be able to change my major, interests, etc. At the smaller schools I looked at, I could major (at most) in biology, chemistry, or physics. The school I'm at now has a neuroscience major, biopsychology, cognition & neuroscience, microbiology, intracellular and molecular biology, and many many others. Without knowing which I wanted to go into before starting college, this was a huge appealing factor for me.
And it's cheaper than a private school!
And it's cheaper than a private school!
I'm just curious how you feel about those people who were smart enough to go wherever but said "screw all that hard stuff, they'll teach me what I need to know to be a doctor in med school." The people from unranked universities with MCATs in the 35+ range that hardly studied for it and got damn near straight As while sleepwalking through class. The kids that are smart and didn't have to work as hard as you because they knew it was unnecessary.Sure, but I think all schools can't be compared for various reasons:
1. Curving on percentages (10 percent A's, 20 percent B's, etc) just depends on the quality of students. The smartest in one place might be the dumbest in another.
2. Exam difficulty.
3. Other none-exam factors. Some places homework, "participation", etc is factored into grades. With curves, if you DON'T do it, you're hurting yourself. If you do it, you're still only compared on exams (unless homework is strictly graded).
4. Grading scales strictly on points. This means if 90%+ averages get As (and etc) you won't be weeded out because you're not compared to others AND probably means exams aren't that hard considering some classes our exam average (B-) is a 50%.
My friend's neurology exam was identifying parts of the brain and other stupid ****. Easy 100% while taking her 4 other Bio/Orgo classes + working full time. So hard for a 100 ranked school.
I picked UChicago because of all the amazing opportunities, challenging classes that will actually prepare me, professors that are actually know their ****, because I got into greaaaaaaaat schools and unless you couldn't get in, why not?
Because some of us actually give a shet about how much debt they are piling up. I don't think the top ranked school I started at was really worth 7 times as much as the state school I transferred too.
started from the bottom....well still here
🙄If it meant being inferior?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 351
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 2K