Why do you want to become a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Planet Ocean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the path to M.D. is different for everyone. If you wouldnt mind sharing your reasons or experiences that led you to the realization you wanted to become a physician that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am into guns, and I thought that if I couldn't kill people, I might as well save them.

;p

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted a career that blended my passions for service and science.

Why do I want to become a physician?

Because I want..
To prove to myself that I can become someone/am someone.
To give my parents something to be proud of.
To never have to worry about whether I can put dinner on the table that night.
To never have to 'relapse' because I can't afford my medication.
To pursue my love in science and all things related to the body.
To go home every day knowing that I made a difference in someone's life: whether small or big.
To help people.
To get mail in my mailbox that reads to: "Dr. x" :D

Some of my reasons are superficial, I suppose...but I guess we're not all saints.

Last edited:
Well I've always wanted help people... realize that I am way more intelligent and superior to them in most ways. Mainly I just wanna roll with the $$ and drive over homeless people in my Ferrari blaring "Got Money" by Lil Wayne

Because i want to rule the world!
naw.. I just want a career that is high in cognitive mental processing. While there are other career's that are just as high in that amount of processing i find them to have problems. Engineering( i hate math), psychology ( not enough $ and thats if your clinical).
I also like working with people, so medicine then for me proves to be a good fit career.

Last edited:
I know the path to M.D. is different for everyone. If you wouldnt mind sharing your reasons or experiences that led you to the realization you wanted to become a physician that would be greatly appreciated.

Is it time to start writing personal statements already? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of your own answer. I'll let you know when my season is done ;)

Ummm, I don't know about you guys, but I'm in it for the free drug rep dinners and giveaways. With my OCD list-making, you can never have too many pens or sticky notes. Or food.

Ummm, I don't know about you guys, but I'm in it for the free drug rep dinners and giveaways. With my OCD list-making, you can never have too many pens or sticky notes. Or food.
they're really cutting down on industry influence on doctors in most hospitals, so you're going to be pretty disappointed.

because studying for the rest of my life seems like something I want to do

This is true. The doctor I was shadowing invited me to one, and it was a free 70$ steak dinner (I didn't even get the wine).

they're really cutting down on industry influence on doctors in most hospitals, so you're going to be pretty disappointed.

At least in the academic places. The Pharm free movement is a load of BS.

Nooooooo. :(

Someone in my health policy class last semester said that drug reps go on to (some?) med school campuses and give students free food and stuff, just like they do with doctors. I thought this was a no-no, and kind of pointless because med students can't write prescriptions yet. Any truth to this?

Because nothing has ever interested me like the human body. Plus, I really want to cut somebody.

Maybe this sounds dumb but it kinda just "hit" me one day when I was at the dermatologist's. I never ever thought I'd go into a scientific field (I wanted to work in the video game industry when I was in high school) but it just stuck! And I (mostly) love the science classes I'm taking. I learn something new and cool everyday. I like talking and listening to people. So why not? :thumbup:

Ah, the power of dermatology...

1. I can't think of anything better to do.
2. I'm a science nerd and doctors get to explore much broader subject matter than a research scientist and the pay is much better
3. The world needs doctors and not everyone is capable of taking this path but I think (hope?) that I am
4. Doctors are the people who are closest to possessing godlike powers and I've always wanted to be a superhero

I must say that after working in the clinical setting a few years I'm not really sure anymore... but I have the stats and have come this far so why not? The pay and respect is still great, and there is alway GSK or some other pharm company wanting physicians to help get stuff through the FDA.

These are pretty good. I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing the reasoning behind why people have put themselves or are putting themselves through such a grueling process.

i want to be a doctor because one day i'm going to be in a restaurant and some old dude is going to collapse and that would be the perfect oppourtunity for me to jump up, rip open my shirt (exposing the S on my chest), pull out a stethoscope and say "Nobody Panic! I'm a doctor!" then I save old dude's life, he puts me in his will and the restaurant gives me a 50% discount for life.:cool:

dude you will get sued.

edit: i am so, so sorry that rhymed. but seriously when that guy doesn't recover perfectly his lawyer friend he was eating with will advise him to sue you. :(

dude you will get sued.

edit: i am so, so sorry that rhymed. but seriously when that guy doesn't recover perfectly his lawyer friend he was eating with will advise him to sue you. :(

what do you mean "...WHEN that guy doesn't recover perfectly..."? are you doubting my future doctoring skillz?

1. I love science, but don't want to be stuck at a bench worrying if my expts are reproducible for the rest of my life.
2. I want a meaningful career, doing something important
3. It'll be intellectually stimulating, hopefully not boring
4. Baking cakes probably probably doesn't get you very far, unless you're Buddy Valastro

1. I love science, but don't want to be stuck at a bench worrying if my expts are reproducible for the rest of my life.
2. I want a meaningful career, doing something important

3. It'll be intellectually stimulating, hopefully not boring
4. Baking cakes probably probably doesn't get you very far, unless you're Buddy Valastro

:cry: *research sci lover is hurt*

also, i have friends at CIA (cul. institute of america)...i'm pretty sure they're gonna do okay for themselves actually. making me rethink the whole MD and not making-delic-food-for-the-rest-of-your-life job

:cry: *research sci lover is hurt*
i've been doing research every semester/summer since second semester freshman year, so i do love it to some extent but it's so frustrating not getting expected data and possibly never getting any satisfaction out of it.

that's why being a doctor would be great. every patient is like a little experiment, and hopefully a successful one!

also, i have friends at CIA (cul. institute of america)...i'm pretty sure they're gonna do okay for themselves actually. making me rethink the whole MD and not making-delic-food-for-the-rest-of-your-life job

i've decided that if i save enough money while working as a doctor, when i retire i'll open a bakery :p

To combine my talents as a coach and a scientist. It's challenging and rewarding. All the usual answers.

i've been doing research every semester/summer since second semester freshman year, so i do love it to some extent but it's so frustrating not getting expected data and possibly never getting any satisfaction out of it.

that's why being a doctor would be great. every patient is like a little experiment, and hopefully a successful one!

i've decided that if i save enough money while working as a doctor, when i retire i'll open a bakery :p

You and I...are like the same person. Bakery and all.

Because I saw Dr. House on TV and wanted to be just like him. The practice of medicine is completely accurately depicted on TV. Lying to patients, breaking into people's homes, being a insensitive twit, and thinking about zebras all day is so appealing! Now if only I can get into Hopkins, get kicked out, and then go to Michigan...

Can I be a taste tester? :D

is it contradictory to be at once trying to improve people's health and at the same time peddling them sugary/buttery/simple carbohydrate-y delights?

i always wanted to cut people, but I hear serial killing is illegal so...

Haha, I want to do that too, actually! We should be business partners. ;)

Anyway, I want to go into medicine for a lot of reasons. Mostly so that I can do something meaningful with my life, and make everything I've been through worth it. But also, I love challenges and interesting puzzles. And I like adrenaline rushes sometimes, and medicine can be an exciting field. Ironically, I'm too sick myself for the army to want me, but I can still go to war against diseases and stuff, and that battlefield is a chaotic one. And I just want to feel like I've been able to impact someone's life for the better. I pretty much feel like this is my calling.

Haha, I want to do that too, actually! We should be business partners. ;)

Anyway, I want to go into medicine for a lot of reasons. Mostly so that I can do something meaningful with my life, and make everything I've been through worth it. But also, I love challenges and interesting puzzles. And I like adrenaline rushes sometimes, and medicine can be an exciting field. Ironically, I'm too sick myself for the army to want me, but I can still go to war against diseases and stuff, and that battlefield is a chaotic one. And I just want to feel like I've been able to impact someone's life for the better. I pretty much feel like this is my calling.

Your reasons are not good ones, or at least you should not list these reasons on your PS, or in a secondary, or in a response to an interview question.

Plenty of far easier paths to a "meaningful life" with "challenges" and "puzzle solving" skills required..."adrenaline rush?" Really, don't put that one down, either.

Rent "The Hurt Locker" - now there is a gig with everything you want.

Last edited:
OR. I like the idea of acute change in anatomy to cause chronic change in physiology.

I also like doing things that require fine movements: origami, braiding, chopping ingredients to cook (I love cooking), etc.

And I like to help people, I mean I like to make them smile, I like making an awkward situation feel normal and see people relieved that you make it normal.

I love teaching, or I should say I love explaining complex science ideas in broken-down (aka dumbing down) language, and seeing the realization come over people's faces.

I like the intimacy between a doctor and patient, it's a very unique and humbling experience. It's humbling for the patients who have to expose themselves, and its humbling to know that doctors carry that kind of authority.

I might also like that authority, but I'm not sure. Whenever I am given extra responsibility, no matter how little, I'm intimidated by the thought I may not live up to it. I do like feeling in control, most especially of my life, but I'm not sure how that translates into my feeling about the authority a doctor has. It's empowering, which is very attractive, but it carries with it a ton of responsibility, which is very scary.

Truthfully, I might not really know why I want to be a doctor. Of all the professions I've been exposed to, it attracts me the most. My justifications are the shadow of that feeling because I try to answer the question: "why?" Like everything else we try to justify in hindsight that felt "right".

[/rant]

Your reasons are not good ones, or at least you should not list these reasons on your PS, or in a secondary, or in a response to an interview question.

Plenty of far easier paths to a "meaningful life" with challenges and "puzzle solving" skills required...adrenaline rush? Really, don't put that one down, either.

Rent "The Hurt Locker" - now there is a gig with everything you want.

Caught! Well, the adrenaline rush thing is only half-true. Funnily enough, I was exaggerating a bit because I saw The Hurt Locker yesterday and I thought it was a fantastic movie, so a moment of whimsy passed over me as I was typing out the reasons. :laugh: But I do manage to thrive on stress at times, which I would argue is a good asset for the job. Incidentally, what was your opinion on the movie?

But seriously, like those answers are so much worse than people who claim to be allured by power or money. I see nothing wrong with enjoying certain aspects that the job has to offer. And I think I have a better idea of what will make my life a fulfilling one than you do. :rolleyes: (Haha, that sounded a bit more snarky than I meant it to; don't get the impression that I harbor ill sentiments.) Those are just secondary things about the job that attract me though. The main reasons why, that I'd mention less jokingly, stem from stuff that's pretty personal, and I wouldn't post in a public thread. If you really want to know, I'll tell you some time. :) But here, it'll suffice to say that I have reasons a-plenty.