Why is Anesthesiology not competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen older threads about this topic from almost 10 years ago, and I wanted to ask why now, in 2017, and going forward, why isn't anesthesiology more competitive to match into?

Residency average hours about 60 per week according to FREIDA, starting salary around 400k according to MGMA. Opportunities to do a fellowship in pain management. I see job postings for 40hr/week 400k with no weekends and minimal call. Opportunities for OR work or an outpatient pain clinic.

I've shadowed in anesthesia and it isn't the most exciting field but I think that it is a viable option for me if I don't score as well as I would like on the USMLE step 1.

I understand there are nurse anesthetists and AMGs that are "ruining" the field but is the outlook really that terrible that people don't want to pursue it any more?

Any med student/resident/attending input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Sky is not falling. Lots of anesthesia docs say the future is bright. Also competitiveness of specialties usually waxes and wanes

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't it part of ROAD? I thought those were the most competitive/desirable specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it part of ROAD? I thought those were the most competitive/desirable specialties.

Prettt sure there are enough spots for all applicants, and the average step 1 score is not nearly as high as derm/rasa/ent/ophtho.

Those are traditionally the "lifestyle" specialties, but its missing some of the most competitive specialties (e.g. ENT, urology, ortho)

Reactions: 1 users
Sky is not falling. Lots of anesthesia docs say the future is bright. Also competitiveness of specialties usually waxes and wanes

Does this usually take a few years? I'll be graduating 2021. Or does this generally take more like decades?

Does this usually take a few years? I'll be graduating 2021. Or does this generally take more like decades?
You can assume pretty safely that it will still be accessible in ~3 years when you submit residency apps

It may be less competitive than the most competitive specialties, but I wouldn't call it "not competitive".

This is a rough list by the U of Mich:
Critical Components in the Match | Med Students Gateway

Some raw data is here:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf

However, it's difficult to say whether this is more competitive or not just from acceptance rate. For example, Harvard Law School has a 16.5% rate of offering acceptance:
HLS Profile and Facts | Harvard Law School

It's not just the acceptance rate but the pool of applicants, the "incoming statistics". But that data isn't seen in the linked info above.

What specialities, if any, have historically always been very competitive?

Two of those aren't even competitive. It is more of an acronym for lifestyle specialties that pay well.

It may be less competitive than the most competitive specialties, but I wouldn't call it "not competitive".

It's not competitive. Even below average students match it in a fairly consistent clip. If you are a USMD, didn't fail anything, and have a pulse you will probably match. Even below average DOs match it fairly consistently.

To OP, the sky isn't falling. The fear of CRNAs is what is driving down the competitiveness. According to the entire anesthesia group at my hospital this fear has been around for 20 years. The pay is still high, and the lifestyle is fairly good. Don't worry about what competitiveness trends, things wax and wane frequently.

Reactions: 3 users
What's the R? Been trying to figure it out for like 5 minutes. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all. Last question. I plan on doing oncology research during M1-M2. Will anesthesia residency programs (more desirable ones) view this positively? Or since it is not directly related to the field it won't help much?

I think derm has always been the lifestyle king and ortho/plastics also always competitive?

As for the point earlier about whether things change on the span of just a few years - here is the Charting Outcomes document from back in 2011. looks like similar to today with highest mean step scores for things like Derm, plastics, ENT. Gas pretty much in the middle back then too.

This may be a dumb question, but when looking at the match rates, what exactly does "number of contiguous ranks" mean?

This may be a dumb question, but when looking at the match rates, what exactly does "number of contiguous ranks" mean?
Take derm as example. Avg of 9 contiguous ranks for successfully matched. Read as: the average derm match was interviewed at, and ranked back-to-back down their rank list, 9 derm residencies.

I think derm has always been the lifestyle king and ortho/plastics also always competitive?

There was a time, and I mean decades ago, when nobody wanted to do orthopedics. I'm not even sure how long that was; it was well before my time.

And this gets confused a lot, but the ROAD specialties aren't mean to denote the lifestyle fields, but rather the lifestyle specialties that also pay quite well. I would argue that the "ROAD to success" is now a bit anachronistic.

How many programs they ranked.

Take derm as example. Avg of 9 contiguous ranks for successfully matched. Read as: the average derm match was interviewed at, and ranked back-to-back down their rank list, 9 derm residencies.

I see, that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I thought there was a max number you could rank on your match list. So, more interviews-> longer match list-> greater chance of matching into desired speciality. Thanks!

There was a time, and I mean decades ago, when nobody wanted to do orthopedics. I'm not even sure how long that was; it was well before my time.

And this gets confused a lot, but the ROAD specialties aren't mean to denote the lifestyle fields, but rather the lifestyle specialties that also pay quite well. I would argue that the "ROAD to success" is now a bit anachronistic.
I always wondered why Psych wasn't in ROAD

I've seen it called EROAD a few times now, adding Emergency med, though.

I see, that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I thought there was a max number you could rank on your match list. So, more interviews-> longer match list-> greater chance of matching into desired speciality. Thanks!
And not just more interviews and longer list, but more of your desired specialty back-to-back before you start inserting less competitive alternatives

And not just more interviews and longer list, but more of your desired specialty back-to-back before you start inserting less competitive alternatives

Do a lot of people do that? Like for example, rank 1-5 derm programs, then 6-10 emergency med programs. Seems super risky to me, I would be so freaked out opening that letter on match day.

Do a lot of people do that? Like for example, rank 1-5 derm programs, then 6-10 emergency med programs. Seems super risky to me, I would be so freaked out opening that letter on match day.
Not as risky as not matching, I think is the logic

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf
I have included some links to the full 2016 NRMP and Program Directors Survey. You can get some quick understanding of the data as Anesthesiology, being first alphabetically, is used as the example for the tables (I have some PDF excerpts ) . I do notice more non-US seniors entering Anesthesiology which would seem to suggest it is not as competitive as recently. But I certainly have seen in the past 20 years seen it go from less competitive (when it was almost only OR or ICU work) to highly competitive (when pain management began to grow) to less competitive (perhaps with growth of CRNA). I have heard from a few Gas passers in passing (sorry awful pun) that because it is one of the last certification with a real pain in the a$$ oral boards, it turns off some students from seeking it. I believe only half of the BE gas passers get certified

Can you elaborate on this, are you saying people don't get board certified?

So combine with the selectiveness via board scores, the competitiveness (position per applicant) can be seen in the attached excerpt form 2016 NRMP. In the position per US senior column, the lower the number, the more competitive.

Dermatology, Orthopedic surgery, Neurological Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery . The odd ball here is Pediatric/Adolescent Psych, though I could see life style making that attractive

View attachment 217154

Absent from those data are urology and ophthalmology, which are also quite competitive.

They are but in terms of this data, they are PGY2 spots are part of the early match (in January) for the year after your PGY1. Yes, it can be confusing and they are run by organizations other than NRMP

SFMatch.org: Ophthalmology and some Plastics Surgery residencies as well as many fellowships
UrologyMatch: Urology both residency and fellowships
What's the incentive to do this? They benefit somehow from not handing it off to NRMP?

They are but in terms of this data, they are PGY2 spots are part of the early match (in January) for the year after your PGY1. Yes, it can be confusing and they are run by organizations other than NRMP

SFMatch.org: Ophthalmology and some Plastics Surgery residencies as well as many fellowships
UrologyMatch: Urology both residency and fellowships

I know why they're missing from the NRMP data, my point was just to make sure they get included in the discussion for premeds reading this thread.

Not as risky as not matching, I think is the logic

Well, what do you do if you only pick a highly competitive specialty without any backup? Do you skip residency and become an IA for the next year with much lower results? Do you take whatever SOAP comes your way? or do you take a transitional/prelim year?

I guess thats true. But if its not your Step 1 score that is holding you back, like maybe its your lack of research or something, could you apply only to your desired specialty, not match, take a research year, then try again?

Thanks all. Last question. I plan on doing oncology research during M1-M2. Will anesthesia residency programs (more desirable ones) view this positively? Or since it is not directly related to the field it won't help much?
Take this with a grain of salt, that being said, my understanding is that any research will be favorably viewed by academic residencies. Research directly related to your desired field will be viewed more favorably, however.

@BeddingfieldMD would you care to share your views on the future of anesthesiology as a career and how you think medical students view it nowadays?

You can see the general match results of those who previously graduated versus seniors

PS: This also doesnt indicate those who purposely took a year off in some educational pursuit, fellowship, etc over those who didnt match, rank or SOAP first time

View attachment 217158
I don't think there's a way to get the data I'm about to ask about from this table: If you do purposefully take a year off between entering the match and graduating med school will that negatively impact your chances of matching?

I don't think there's a way to get the data I'm about to ask about from this table: If you do purposefully take a year off between entering the match and graduating med school will that negatively impact your chances of matching?
Most people that do a research year do it between M3 and M4. I don't think it's common to try and go for residency after being out of the clinic for 12-15 months?

Most people that do a research year do it between M3 and M4. I don't think it's common to try and go for residency after being out of the clinic for 12-15 months?
I've heard of people taking a year off in order to couples match with their spouse who is a year below them, and was wondering if that particularly would negatively affect your chances of matching.

I've heard of people taking a year off in order to couples match with their spouse who is a year below them, and was wondering if that particularly would negatively affect your chances of matching.
Do they do the extra year after M4? I'm sure it happens sometimes I just have only spoken with M3-M4 research gaps on the interview trail.

I also have no idea if you are visibly a "reapplicant" for the match in round 2.

Even if you aren't, I imagine for a lot of people it just makes sense to list some things that are less competitive but you'd still enjoy doing, than give up a year in the hopes of better luck next time around.

Do they do the extra year after M4? I'm sure it happens sometimes I just have only spoken with M3-M4 research gaps on the interview trail.

I also have no idea if you are visibly a "reapplicant" for the match in round 2.

Even if you aren't, I imagine for a lot of people it just makes sense to list some things that are less competitive but you'd still enjoy doing, than give up a year in the hopes of better luck next time around.
I'm not sure what the standard thing to do is, actually, but I would imagine there are people who do it both ways?

You can see the general match results of those who previously graduated versus seniors

PS: This also doesnt indicate those who purposely took a year off in some educational pursuit, fellowship, etc over those who didnt match, rank or SOAP first time

View attachment 217158
Wow, that is quite dramatic. So I guess if you have any doubts when going into the match, have a back up and/or take a year off to strengthen your resume.

Does this imply disadvantage when re-applying, though? Or just show that the weak app crowd that fails the first time is 10x more likely to fail a second time as well?

These people usually delay graduation so they can still enter the match as a senior. Normally they don't graduate and then wait a year. Their school helps them with things to do like some more rotations or research from my understanding.

It is not competitive because it is boring.

Is it worse than diagnostic rads in which you never see patients? Totally different specialties but both compensated well and not insanely competitive (albeit rads has higher USMLE step 1)

I always wondered why Psych wasn't in ROAD

I've seen it called EROAD a few times now, adding Emergency med, though.

There is no such thing as eroad.

Road is now Rad onc Ophtho Allergy Dermatology

Is it worse than diagnostic rads in which you never see patients? Totally different specialties but both compensated well and not insanely competitive (albeit rads has higher USMLE step 1)

Rads is amazing. No patient contact and you never need to actually make a decision because of the magic phrase "correlate clinically"

There is no such thing as eroad.

Road is now Rad onc Ophtho Allergy Dermatology

Rads is amazing. No patient contact and you never need to actually make a decision because of the magic phrase "correlate clinically"

When I go into medicine I want to see patients and talk to people though. I'm afraid if I go into rads I'll be too isolated from human interaction.

Maybe IR would be cool though

As you might expect on a primarily pre-med forum, there's lots of people talking about stuff they don't know anything about. I'll try to clear up a few misconceptions and answer whatever questions people have.

1) Anesthesia will always probably be middle of the road when it comes to competitiveness, due to competing factors. Cons: Midlevel "encroachment," even though that's been going on for decades and other specialties are starting to feel the crunch. Lack of limelight/nobody understands what you do. Stress. Lack of long-term patient relationships. Unpredictable hours. Pros: Interesting physiology/pharmacology/anatomy. Like all procedural specialties, pays well, especially with right payer-mix/practice set-up. No rounding. Lack of long-term patient relationships. Unpredictable hours.

2) I suspect most of the non-board certified physicians are either at the end of their careers or within a year or two of graduating. I don't know of any places that will hire a non-board certified physician (or not have the expectation that you become board-certified within a couple years).

3) Anesthesia was part of ROAD because of the combination of lifestyle and reimbursement. My wife sits in a dark room most of the day from 8-530 or 6 reading studies. Sometimes later if she has a late shift or call. Maybe gets out at 430 if she's lucky. Will occasionally see a pt to do a biopsy or something. I start my day 630-7. I could be done at 5, or I could be done at 2 or 3, or I could be done at 9. And I'm all over the hospital, in and out of rooms, doing procedures, etc. I wouldn't trade jobs with her in a million years.

Reactions: 2 users
As you might expect on a primarily pre-med forum, there's lots of people talking about stuff they don't know anything about. I'll try to clear up a few misconceptions and answer whatever questions people have.

1) Anesthesia will always probably be middle of the road when it comes to competitiveness, due to competing factors. Cons: Midlevel "encroachment," even though that's been going on for decades and other specialties are starting to feel the crunch. Lack of limelight/nobody understands what you do. Stress. Lack of long-term patient relationships. Unpredictable hours. Pros: Interesting physiology/pharmacology/anatomy. Like all procedural specialties, pays well, especially with right payer-mix/practice set-up. No rounding. Lack of long-term patient relationships. Unpredictable hours.

2) I suspect most of the non-board certified physicians are either at the end of their careers or within a year or two of graduating. I don't know of any places that will hire a non-board certified physician (or not have the expectation that you become board-certified within a couple years).

3) Anesthesia was part of ROAD because of the combination of lifestyle and reimbursement. My wife sits in a dark room most of the day from 8-530 or 6 reading studies. Sometimes later if she has a late shift or call. Maybe gets out at 430 if she's lucky. Will occasionally see a pt to do a biopsy or something. I start my day 630-7. I could be done at 5, or I could be done at 2 or 3, or I could be done at 9. And I'm all over the hospital, in and out of rooms, doing procedures, etc. I wouldn't trade jobs with her in a million years.

Thank you for this. Are you an attending anesthesiologist (and your wife an attending radiologist?) if so can I PM you some questions about anesthesia? I've shadowed in it before but there are still some things I'm curious about that I never got to ask

Thank you for this. Are you an attending anesthesiologist (and your wife an attending radiologist?) if so can I PM you some questions about anesthesia? I've shadowed in it before but there are still some things I'm curious about that I never got to ask

Yes, (yes), and yes.

@BeddingfieldMD would you care to share your views on the future of anesthesiology as a career and how you think medical students view it nowadays?

Thanks for asking. I actually remember the earlier variation of this thread several years ago when I was still considering specialties. I think anesthesiology is still in the "moderately competitive" pack as it was in 2010. By that I mean the mean Step 1 score of matching applicants is squarely in the middle of the second tier (230s). There are a cluster of specialties whose mean matching Step 1 scores are clearly above, which could be considered the first tier specialties--and most competitive. These include dermatology, ENT, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery--as well as some not in the main match such as urology. Then there are a handful of specialties whose mean matching Step 1 scores are lower (200-220), which could be labeled the third tier. These are family practice, general pediatrics, and PM&R. Assigning adjectives to these tiers, I would say the first tier specialties are "highly competitive," the second are "moderately competitive," and the third tier are "less competitive." Because at the end of the day, there is obviously some competitiveness with any specialty in the match process. You're probably going to be limited geographically even in something like family practice if you have failed Step 1 multiple times, have lots of failing grades on your transcript, have some bad letters of recommendation, and were suspended for unprofessional conduct for some period of time. A truly "noncompetitive" specialty would literally take anyone with a pulse. But of course, we all know there's a difference between ENT, EM, and FP, to use one example from each tier of specialties.

So then the question is, "Why is anesthesiology not more competitive?" In other words, why isn't it in the ranks of ENT, orthopedics, plastic surgery, etc.?

A specialty's competitiveness is a combination of several factors. First is the number of available residency positions. Most very competitive fields have small residency classes--and are small fields altogether. Think of ophthalmology, dermatology, ENT, and plastic surgery. This is a simple supply and demand equation. If a program only needs to find 2-3 warm bodies to fill its available positions, it can be very picky compared to a program that needs to fill 15-20 positions in order to keep the operating rooms running each year. Per the NRMP in 2014, there were 1,564 anesthesiology residency positions offered (including both advanced and categorical). Compare that to 400 dermatology positions or 295 ENT spots. Even orthopedic surgery (one of the largest of the highly competitive specialties) only offered 695 positions.

Second, a specialty becomes more competitive if it offers a reasonable lifestyle--even more so if that is true during training and post-training practice. Here again, many highly competitive fields like dermatology, ophthalmology, and radiology fit the bill. Orthopedic surgery, ENT, and plastic surgery don't typically fit this description during training, but there are certainly opportunities for many of these surgical subspecialists to lead fairly regular lives after training--much more so than with OBGYN, for example. I would say anesthesiology is in kind of a middle ground here. It often has a lot of overnight call, both in training and afterwards (unless one subspecializes in pain medicine). But it is certainly among the hospital-based fields (many of which populate the ROAD specialties, as already mentioned) that offer the benefit of being truly "off the clock" once one leaves the hospital. Unless an OR-based anesthesiologist is on home-call, the pager can be routinely turned off without repercussions. So for most anesthesiologists that have to do labor epidurals or respond to trauma cases during at least some portion of their careers, the field isn't quite as nice as office-based specialties like dermatology. But it's still on the nicer end of the spectrum compared to most medical specialties.

Third, a specialty obviously becomes more competitive if it pays well. Depending on which part of the country one works, reimbursement and/or salaries in anesthesiology are still lucrative. Without trying to get into too many specifics, I'll say that I don't know many anesthesiologists working full-time in an OR-based setting (i.e. not at a cushy, 8-3 surgery center) that make less than $250k. And I know many in "less desired" locations making in excess of $500k. There are even a few hard-working jobs out there that approach or exceed seven figures--though as hospital/insurance conglomerates continue to gobble up private groups, that is becoming less and less common. Sure, the average orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon, or interventional cardiologist may make a bit more than the average anesthesiologist. But in all reality, the diminishing returns at those salary levels due to the progressive tax system in this country makes any real differences fairly insignificant. And obviously, that leaves a whole lot of specialties that typically earn quite a bit less than most anesthesiologists. I would imagine this reality is why anesthesiology is as competitive as it is--and as we saw in the 1990s, its competitiveness as a field would decline drastically if salaries were to drop significantly. The same has happened to radiology in the past. Then there comes to be a big shortage of specialists in the field, salaries go up again, and the cycle repeats. Because anesthesiology just isn't a "typical doctor" specialty that most med students think of when choosing specialties, it will always be more susceptible to these waxing and waning periods of popularity--again, much like radiology.

Fourth, a specialty will be more competitive if it is enjoyable work. I think many medical students choose anesthesiology in part because they find it a refreshing respite from many of the things they don't like about other specialties through which they rotate. I know this certainly influenced my decision. Many students enjoy the pace and atmosphere of the operating room. They like the hands-on nature of the work: putting in lines, managing the airway, etc. They enjoy the lack of endless rounding and paperwork. You get the idea. I'm sure for those who choose the specialty, this is a check in the positive category for anesthesiology. On the other hand, many don't like working with surgeons, dealing with OR nurses, not having patient continuity, etc.--so I guess it could go either way.

Finally, a specialty should be stable and have a predictable trajectory over one's career (20-30 years) for it to be in the highly competitive tier of specialties. I think this is one category in which anesthesiology doesn't do as well. One could argue that hardly any specialties fit this bill currently, and there's probably truth to that. But because of the much smaller size of the field and the fact that many more of its practitioners still own their own practices, I would argue that ENT, for example, is probably much more stable over the next 2-3 decades than anesthesiology. Of course, the overall national healthcare environment, reimbursement, insurance, and other such factors are out of everyone's direct control. But because most anesthesiologists are completely dependent upon hospitals and/or surgery centers for their employment, they are particularly susceptible to national and regional trends among hospitals and insurance companies in regards to employment models (1099 vs employee), group contract negotiations (always the threat of the outside staffing agency or the "competitive group down the street with lots of promises"), staffing models (MD-only, ACT, AA vs CRNA, CRNA-only, collaborative), and arbitrary hospital requirements (TEE certifications, in-house call, OB coverage, trauma, pediatric certification).

Unlike specialties that drive patient acquisition (surgeons, proceduralists, clinic-based docs), hospital-based specialists that depend on patients coming to them by way of others (anesthesiologists, radiologists, hospitalists, pathologists) inherently have less control and can dictate fewer demands upon the hospitals. To be sure, there are benefits to not driving patient acquisition in the way of no long-term responsibility over patients, a "pager-off" mentality once one leaves the hospital, more geographic flexibility, not having to build up a practice, etc. But there are also downsides, and the biggest one is probably the complete dependence upon the hospital and/or surgery center for one's livelihood--and the resulting loss of control. The anesthesia groups with the most power are those in remote geographic locations, where there is seldom more than one anesthesia group in town and hospitals know they would have a hard time recruiting adequate replacements if necessary. Personally, I think this is why in large, urban areas, private anesthesia groups with stable hospital contracts continue to cede territory to hospital employment models and competitive from outside staffing firms.

Oh, and of course I would be remiss without mentioning CRNAs. I do think the drawn-out bickering and political infighting between the ASA and the AANA is probably a drag on anesthesiology's competitiveness. But in all reality, as a practicing anesthesiologist, I would argue that the above issues are more concerning to me personally than politically active CRNAs. Not to say there aren't real issues with that situation. Yes, there are CRNAs who would love to staff surgery centers independently. There are some who think they are equivalents and can do everything exactly the same. It is certainly annoying when these political battles enter one's workplace. And it's a shame that the ASA has devoted and continues to devote so much energy to these issues, considering that there are so many battles also being fought against politicians, insurance companies, hospitals, etc. But I think this is more of an abstract concern than one of actual employment security. I have seen some hospitals that were previously MD-only migrate to a care-team environment, and that can certainly be unsettling to the labor market over a short period. And indeed, some parts of the country may benefit from shrinking the sizes of their residency programs over time because of this continued trend. But I don't foresee a time in the next 20-30 years in which busy, high-acuity hospitals with lots of ASA III/IV patients completely replace anesthesiologists with CRNAs. But yes, of course it would be foolish to suggest that the time and energy wasted on this issue in the specialty isn't another drag on the specialty's competitiveness. To be sure, there are certainly other specialties with similar political battles, including EM, family practice, etc. But it's been going on much longer with anesthesiology. From my perspective, I just took this issue for granted when choosing specialties and considered it already "baked into" the specialty. It's been going on for 30 years and will likely continue in some form through the end of my career.

So to summarize... I think anesthesiology was what I would consider a "moderately competitive" field 7 years ago when I chose my specialty--and probably still is. One thing I did notice is that my residency class actually had a couple of FMGs (very good clinicians who had rocked Step 1 and I'm sure were among the best from their classes), but we didn't interview a single FMG by the time I was a senior resident helping with interviews. And overall, it seemed like average Step 1 scores of applicants had increased--though there was a bit of general score inflation during that period, I believe. So could one say the specialty is a bit more competitive currently than it was 7-8 years ago? Maybe, but probably still within the same general tier of competitiveness. If anything, I think the overall interest in medicine and number of med school applicants has increased, so the overall pool is probably more competitive now than a decade ago.

Is it still a good specialty? I think so, as long as you have reasonable expectations and know what you're getting into. Much more than any issues with CRNAs (and more importantly their political lobbying groups), I think the biggest continued battle our specialty will have in the next 10-20 years will be a result of the continued consolidation of hospital networks and insurance providers. That ultimately reduces our power and increasingly turns us (along with other hospital-based specialists) more and more into interchangeable cogs in the medical machinery--at least from the perspectives of the hospital administrators.

One other thing I would mention to med students considering the field is that nearly all hospital-based jobs that most folks get out of training will involve a decent amount of overnight call, which is frequently in-house and includes a lot of OB practice. Residency programs sometimes separate out OB rotations, such that you spend the vast majority of your training in the operating room and then do a few months of OB, completely separate from the rest of your practice. Know that in private practice anesthesia, a big chunk of your time is spent with OBGYNs, epidural placement and management can be a large part of your practice, and women still want epidurals at all hours of the night! :) So there are some "lifestyle" aspects to the field, to be sure. But dermatology it ain't.

Good luck!

Reactions: 13 users