Why is there so many comparisons to Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From observing the SDN which by the way is a great source for predetnal students, I cant help wondering why there are so many comparisons to the U Of M (Michigan). Many of the threads are school X vs Michigan. I must admit that I also got accepted to Michigan and posted a similar question.

Is that the most questionable school?
Or is it just the demographics of the SDN users?

PS. I am coming back to Michigan next week, Jan 8,9 and 10, and would like to meet and talk with a current student for coffee/lunch (Ill BUY! :)) If you could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is the most questionable school in terms of being in extreme side of research and clinical experience. Everybody knows that Michigan has the "name" value and it's an exceptional research school. From what I've heard from my friends at Michigan dental, they do have hard time getting patients, because Ann Arbor people don't want get their work done by students as they are pretty well-off.

Snow, you must have been reading my mind. I was just thinking about posting the same question. So many SDNers have questioned UofM vs. another choice. I have to agree w/huk1985's response. I think people have a hard type saying no because of the Michigan name, but are not sure it is the right fit for them because of the lack of patients. I am one of the people that posted a "UofM or" type question, because I have been accepted at UDM and UofM. UofM does not offer a great clinical experience, but they do have the name & research possibilites. I am personally after the great clinical experience to be the best gp I can be. In Michigan, where I plan to practice, UDM is very well respected, so I'm not worried about making that choice.