WildZoo's WWild ZZoo Part 2 - Sign Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Give me tips pls

I feel like a factor in our loss was my confidence that I had a feel for AM, and I very much want to improve. This game is fun, but it's more fun when I feel like I'm competent.
There were many factors in our loss, including some bad luck. But I was going around saying brilliant things like "Santy is town, that's my last legacy", so give yourself a break. I think you did play competently. Keep in mind that the town player has [I believe] three core objectives: 1) find mafia, 2) avoid being wrongly eliminated, and 3) promote a healthy game thread.

I think you missed the mark on #1, but quite literally all of us missed that mark. Sometimes that's how it goes! You did very well with the other two points, especially considering you were viewed as a suspect the entire game. Way to keep your spirit high and play under duress. Many players would have been voted out in your position.

A few "tips", per your request:

~ Take care with meta reads. They can be immensely powerful tools; indeed, they might be the most reliable kinds of reads there are -- but only when you really have developed them with a large sample size. It sounds like you're in your first year or two of playing, and that might mean you haven't seen a lot of certain players on both sides of the affiliation coin. So let those impressions develop before relying on them too strongly. Use them, wield them, play with them -- but be careful about how much confidence you put in them.

~ Play the town alignment actively rather than passively. Sometimes players will wait for the game to come to them, so to speak, and that can be okay under the right circumstances and for certain types of solvers. I get the impression though that you'd be better as an active solver, even though I thought you played a more passive game. Take that game thread by the horns and bend it to your will (within reason), and create an environment conducive to your ability to find the answers you seek. Address other players directly, consistently, and persistently. Ask questions, make accusations, make suggestions, and lather, rinse, repeat. When you post a reads list on Day 1, do so with belief in yourself that it is a product of a real process of your own cognition, something that you came up with your own way. It doesn't have to be perfect. It only has to be yours.

~ Most importantly, when you get something wrong, it doesn't have to result in an overhaul of how you approach Mafia. I had a very poor game just now by my standards, and truth be told I will probably play the next one very similarly. It has worked for me more often than it has failed, and I will continue to trust in my abilities. You're an engineer. You have all kinds of brains. You have a unique mental skillset that can serve to town's benefit. Put it to use, and weather the adversity.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
desperately wants to fuel WW addiction relapse
looks at schedule
sighs

• Care
There were many factors in our loss, including some bad luck. But I was going around saying brilliant things like "Santy is town, that's my last legacy", so give yourself a break. I think you did play competently. Keep in mind that the town player has [I believe] three core objectives: 1) find mafia, 2) avoid being wrongly eliminated, and 3) promote a healthy game thread.

I think you missed the mark on #1, but quite literally all of us missed that mark. Sometimes that's how it goes! You did very well with the other two points, especially considering you were viewed as a suspect the entire game. Way to keep your spirit high and play under duress. Many players would have been voted out in your position.

A few "tips", per your request:

~ Take care with meta reads. They can be immensely powerful tools; indeed, they might be the most reliable kinds of reads there are -- but only when you really have developed them with a large sample size. It sounds like you're in your first year or two of playing, and that might mean you haven't seen a lot of certain players on both sides of the affiliation coin. So let those impressions develop before relying on them too strongly. Use them, wield them, play with them -- but be careful about how much confidence you put in them.

~ Play the town alignment actively rather than passively. Sometimes players will wait for the game to come to them, so to speak, and that can be okay under the right circumstances and for certain types of solvers. I get the impression though that you'd be better as an active solver, even though I thought you played a more passive game. Take that game thread by the horns and bend it to your will (within reason), and create an environment conducive to your ability to find the answers you seek. Address other players directly, consistently, and persistently. Ask questions, make accusations, make suggestions, and lather, rinse, repeat. When you post a reads list on Day 1, do so with belief in yourself that it is a product of a real process of your own cognition, something that you came up with your own way. It doesn't have to be perfect. It only has to be yours.

~ Most importantly, when you get something wrong, it doesn't have to result in an overhaul of how you approach Mafia. I had a very poor game just now by my standards, and truth be told I will probably play the next one very similarly. It has worked for me more often than it has failed, and I will continue to trust in my abilities. You're an engineer. You have all kinds of brains. You have a unique mental skillset that can serve to town's benefit. Put it to use, and weather the adversity.
I really adore you joining our community and making the kinds of posts that you did in that game and out of it. We've been lacking in positivity lately and having some new voices who are both highly skilled and kind is really refreshing.

Thank you for invading joining SDN. I hope you, Santy, Nate, Nanook, Gira, etc. stick around ❤️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I need to have some days at least to think about it to not be in a mafia rush and burn myself. But also is animals aaaaaa

I'm so torn rn
Well... it won't start until Thursday

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Well... it won't start until Thursday
6vezg3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I really adore you joining our community and making the kinds of posts that you did in that game and out of it. We've been lacking in positivity lately and having some new voices who are both highly skilled and kind is really refreshing.

Thank you for invading joining SDN. I hope you, Santy, Nate, Nanook, Gira, etc. stick around ❤️
Bear with me while I depart for a less-than-brief bit of philosophy:

Mafia is a challenging creature. Communities of friends are forged in this game, and they can also be broken by it. The game inspires such emotion at its best and at its worst. Let's remember precisely what this activity is: a battle of wits! We're asked to place our very minds in direct conflict, to attack each other's integrity, and to best or be bested in a competition of intellect itself (or so it seems). Could anything be more turbulent for a human ego than that? When intelligent people play a game that feels like it is itself predicated on social intelligence, every emotion inspired by competition is exacerbated. I can't let my opponent outsmart me; I must prove my intellectual worth! This can produce an extremely tense environment that lends itself to toxicity and unkindness.

So we mustn't let it. The game is what we make it. I believe that we can enjoy the good side of Mafia without having to suffer the bad side. There is no rule or law of nature that dictates that when we play this or any other social deduction game, we must be terrible to each other -- even if sometimes we might want to be. There's a human being behind every keyboard, and everyone is just trying to win the game. No matter what the affiliation, there's always kinship in at least that. When we are suspicious of someone in a game, we are suspicious of a human being. When we are suspected by someone else in a game, we are suspected by a human being. In many cases, both in this community and elsewhere in the Mafia landscape, you can even replace each instance of "human being" in those sentences with "friend". Either way, kindness must reign. Otherwise, what on Earth are we even doing?

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hi, Seven here. Zenge took my spot. My favorite animals are hummingbirds, dogs, giraffes, and turtles.

Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
3. Sporty (not allowed to move her number)
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
etc.

Subs:
1. Lawpy
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
etc.

• Love
  • Care

Mafia is a challenging creature. Communities of friends are forged in this game, and they can also be broken by it. The game inspires such emotion at its best and at its worst. Let's remember precisely what this activity is: a battle of wits! We're asked to place our very minds in direct conflict, to attack each other's integrity, and to best or be bested in a competition of intellect itself (or so it seems). Could anything be more turbulent for a human ego than that? When intelligent people play a game that feels like it is itself predicated on social intelligence, every emotion inspired by competition is exacerbated. I can't let my opponent outsmart me; I must prove my intellectual worth! This can produce an extremely tense environment that lends itself to toxicity and unkindness.

So we mustn't let it. The game is what we make it. I believe that we can enjoy the good side of Mafia without having to suffer the bad side. There is no rule or law of nature that dictates that when we play this or any other social deduction game, we must be terrible to each other -- even if sometimes we might want to be. There's a human being behind every keyboard, and everyone is just trying to win the game. No matter what the affiliation, there's always kinship in at least that. When we are suspicious of someone in a game, we are suspicious of a human being. When we are suspected by someone else in a game, we are suspected by a human being. In many cases, both in this community and elsewhere in the Mafia landscape, you can even replace each instance of "human being" in those sentences with "friend". Either way, kindness must reign. Otherwise, what on Earth are we even doing?
This touched my soul. You're a good human.

Even though you're a Bengals fan ;)

• Haha
  • Care
Hi, Seven here. Zenge took my spot. My favorite animals are hummingbirds, dogs, giraffes, and turtles.

Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
etc.

Subs:
1. Lawpy
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
etc.
Glad to see the site supported your doctoral aspirations 😂

• Haha

Lol nerd

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“A few years” as though cdo didn’t disappear off the face of WW earth like 5 years ago
Wait really that long ago? Because I remember playing with her.

How many years ago did I start playing? One of my first games was the STL or SOV one Age of the Gods.

Komodo Dragon
Lemur
Quokka

Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
> Nate
etc.

Subs:
1. Lawpy
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
4. Cray
etc.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
> Nate
etc.

Subs:
1. Lawpy
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
4. Cray
5. Mayo

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Here's the OG game for anyone else who's interested. I'm currently reading through to see how much has changed.

• Wow
  • Care
Here's the OG game for anyone else who's interested. I'm currently reading through to see how much has changed.
That little blurb sounds really graphic. :wow:

• Care
On second thought, it’s best I don’t play, I think. Sorry.

Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
> Nate
etc.

Subs:
1. Lawpy
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
4. Cray
5. Mayo

• Care
Oh man I love that song

Also that movie. I have strayed far from my religious upbringing, but Prince of Egypt is 10/10.
Same! I went through a phase of wanting to believe in god when I first saw that movie but it passed

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Same! I went through a phase of wanting to believe in god when I first saw that movie but it passed
I become briefly religious every Easter. It'd be nice to have as much hope as they do when crossing the Red Sea.
Oh well. The music slaps.

• Care
  • Love
Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
3. Lawpy
4.fluff
5. genny
6. Khepri
7. Zenge142
11. Truenamer
> Nate
etc.

Subs:
etc

Tots:
1. shorty
2. Stoaty
3. JaggedJimmyJay
4. Cray
5. Mayo

• Love
  • Wow
Oho the rarest Lawpy of them all: the OG roster Lawpy!

• Haha
I should point out that i’m in the midst of another game that i got subbed into with uncertain day/night closes but i think i got the hang of that to try two games together. But ideally stick with Thursday start pls

• Care
I should point out that i’m in the midst of another game that i got subbed into with uncertain day/night closes but i think i got the hang of that to try two games together. But ideally stick with Thursday start pls
I haven’t actually played with you since BoWWling (subbing in for Vis doesn’t count) Looking forward to this :)

• Care
Definitely sticking with the Thursday start so no worries!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I've been trying to lure some more Avocado ppl over, but no luck yet

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Roster:
1. Clem J
2. PSV
3. Lawpy
4.fluff