This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacna1c

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am simply hoping for some honest feedback for my unique (at least to me and to those I've spoken with) situation.

In undergrad I performed quite well at a state school (3.82 for both science and cum GPAs). I was involved in a lot of teaching activities at my institution and like most premeds I know, thought research wasn't for me without ever trying it. My very last semester I took a research course simulating a lab (design your own experiment to study protein x, come up with a question and hypothesis and professor only nudged not really helped), needless to say it was the BEST thing ever. From that point on I decided I wanted more research experience and that MD/Ph.D. could very well be for me. I am a first-generation URM and have no doctors or scientists in my family so navigating these things have been very much so "oh I could've just done that?" after it was too late (case and point...PREP)

I did my first masters (one year research-based with thesis) at a top-tier school and did very well (3.82 GPA here as well, oral presentation, poster presentations, and great feedback on thesis and defense). Near the end of this program i decided that pursuing the 2nd master's at another top-tier school (already had accepted year prior and deferred) and doing another master's would benefit me in that I truly wanted to learn the subject and the individual I would be doing research with is amazing in their field. This 2nd program is 2 years, currently have a 4.0 and have been doing research and will be an adjunct next semester. I plan to apply to MD/Ph.D. programs when this is complete (2019 to start 2020) as it is very likely that (if everything goes as plan like it currently is) I should have at least 2 publications. This, however, means I wont be applying until 26 and matriculating at 27.

Ultimately, I want to know if my age and my two master's may hurt my chances of getting into an MSTP? ( I can give more specifics regarding my decisions if necessary)

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. But it won't necessarily "help" you either. Don't worry about your age. There are people in their mid thirties pursuing post bacc degrees. It's a marathon not a sprint. If this is what you want, then work towards it and do well. Of course judging by your numbers, that doesn't seem like it's a problem for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Move to Physician scientist forum?

Nope. But it won't necessarily "help" you either. Don't worry about your age. There are people in their mid thirties pursuing post bacc degrees. It's a marathon not a sprint. If this is what you want, then work towards it and do well. Of course judging by your numbers, that doesn't seem like it's a problem for you :)
Thank you. I feel confident presenting myself as an applicant; however, I was just unsure of the impact of age in deciding. It seems that most of the schools I'm interested in have people that came straight from undergrad.

Thank you. I feel confident presenting myself as an applicant; however, I was just unsure of the impact of age in deciding. It seems that most of the schools I'm interested in have people that came straight from undergrad.

But I'm sure those schools have students that have switched careers, pursued post bacc etc. Don't worry.

I was 26 when I started (4 yrs after UG). The only thing I'll say is that you need to understand that the dual degree is ~8+ yrs typically plus residency/fellowship so... keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll have to explain your motivations for the degrees, as with other applicant. Frame your background positively and don't harp on the age thing.

My MSTP matriculates a wide range of ages including folks who started in their late 20s.