Will adcoms view this negatively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking 12 credits at my four year institution, but my school won't let me take some 2000 level courses that I want to take (science courses)

So, I'm taking them at a local CC.

I can't take the upper division electives of these courses at my four year institution, and need this so I don't get surcharged + fits much better in my schedule. It REALLY fits perfectly in my schedule but I don't want adcoms to think I'm trying to avoid the rigor of taking these classes at my own institution.

TLDR: Does it look bad that I'm taking 1000-2000 level science courses at a local CC while also taking classes at my four year institution? It really fits perfectly for my schedule...

Members don't see this ad.

Note: These are all science courses btw...

That's interesting that your 4-year doesn't allow you to take what you want. I know that my school was not telling me how to live my life in undergrad. This should not be a problem though. Just make sure that you get A's at a CC because then it would look pretty bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting that your 4-year doesn't allow you to take what you want. I know that my school was not telling me how to live my life in undergrad. This should not be a problem though. Just make sure that you get A's at a CC because then it would look pretty bad.

Yeah. It’s just I’d have to take the upper division ones and it just wouldn’t fit in my schedule. I don’t think it’ll be an issue tho right?

No it shouldn't be a problem......as long as you're not looking to get into a top 20

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking 12 credits at my four year institution, but my school won't let me take some 2000 level courses that I want to take (science courses)

So, I'm taking them at a local CC.

I can't take the upper division electives of these courses at my four year institution, and need this so I don't get surcharged + fits much better in my schedule. It REALLY fits perfectly in my schedule but I don't want adcoms to think I'm trying to avoid the rigor of taking these classes at my own institution.

TLDR: Does it look bad that I'm taking 1000-2000 level science courses at a local CC while also taking classes at my four year institution? It really fits perfectly for my schedule...
I see people do this all the time as a means of saving money.

Reactions: 1 users
I see people do this all the time as a means of saving money.

Yeah that too honestly... I don’t wanna be surcharged. + it perfectly fits into my schedule. Literally can’t fit them at my four year institution. They’re important classes tho (anatomy and Microbio)

So I’m gonna stick with the classes yes?

I'm starting to see the difference in schools. I have never attended a CC, but I attended a less prestigious state school prior (Southeastern Louisiana University), and took Chemistry. I am now taking it again at Louisiana State University as a refresher, and we went over the entire semester from SLU in 3 class meetings. Oxidation states of Oxyanions etc is on my first test and I have never even learned this before.

Definitely never going to attend a CC, because I figure it would be even worse. I want to be well prepared.

Hey they’re easy A’s towards my sGPA ;)
That is exactly what the adcom is going to think. Your GPA will be downgraded compared with someone who managed to take all their courses at your home institution including those you are taking at the CC. Why shouldn't they? You admit that you took "easy A's".

Reactions: 2 users
Still on the premed train? DontD quit just yet

I'm starting to see the difference in schools. I have never attended a CC, but I attended a less prestigious state school prior (Southeastern Louisiana University), and took Chemistry. I am now taking it again at Louisiana State University as a refresher, and we went over the entire semester from SLU in 3 class meetings. Oxidation states of Oxyanions etc is on my first test and I have never even learned this before.

Definitely never going to attend a CC, because I figure it would be even worse. I want to be well prepared.
Not to mention how a CC class might prepare you for the MCAT. You get what you pay for, usually . I consider CC classes the same way the wise @LizzyM described.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention how a CC class might prepare you for the MCAT. You get what you pay for, usually . I consider CC classes the same way the wise @LizzyM described.
Right. I’m excited because it’s all starting to make sense. And trig is very interesting too. I don’t understand why others don’t feel the same way. You can figure out a lot of things that would be very difficult otherwise. Now I get why my dad and I did a lot of the stuff the way we did when we built our barn.

Yeah that too honestly... I don’t wanna be surcharged. + it perfectly fits into my schedule. Literally can’t fit them at my four year institution. They’re important classes tho (anatomy and Microbio)
Who told you that anatomy and microbiology are important? Certainly not require for medical school. I'm pretty sure they aren't required for the MCAT.

The problem with some of you youngsters is that you are equating CC work with "EASY" or "NOT HARD" or even "NOT THE SAME" and you are not correct.

You need to get out of that mindset and see CC coursework for what it is.

The advice that @LizzyM is giving is not technically wrong either but I wouldn't say all schools operate that way. I've said it before, I have seen DO adcoms accept online coursework for prereqs. @Goro can chime in on whether his school does that as well but if some adcom is accepting online coursework for credit, you should not be too focused on equating CC coursework as less rigorous or whatever bias you may have towards two-year institutions without actually being able to prove that some course is easier than a course taken elsewhere. The only criticism I will give to two-year college science coursework is that the laboratory component will most usually be lacking when compared to larger four-year research institutions. I personally could care less about that but some of our most critical members here on SDN might find something like this upsetting.

In many cases, people take CC coursework because it is cheaper to do so and or they have many more scheduling options. I took Chem and Orgo at my CC because they were the only courses offered at 7PM and I got permission to take them concurrently so this saved me a significant amount of time and allowed me to take three upper-level courses with ease during my junior year. I have a 512 MCAT and never felt "lost" during my MCAT prep and those courses transferred with no issues. I went on three interviews during my cycle two years ago. Nobody asked once about CC coursework. Don't worry about something that you don't need to worry about. CC will not keep you out of medical school unless you are getting C's in the coursework.

I'll say it again, it's GPA and MCAT scores that will get you in.

Reactions: 2 users
Who told you that anatomy and microbiology are important? Certainly not require for medical school. I'm pretty sure they aren't required for the MCAT.

They’re important for my “plan B”

Plus I’m genuinely interested in the material and I want to bring my sGPA up a little bit. They’re courses I genuinely want to take but just can’t fit into my four year institution

@Mike Bagwell

Thank you for clearing that up. I was really confused. I read on here that taking CC courses alwhile taking four year institution courses, looks like one is trying to “escape the rigor” of those courses. However, I don’t want that to be the case. I’m a lot more chilled about this now, so thank you.

@Mike Bagwell

Thank you for clearing that up. I was really confused. I read on here that taking CC courses alwhile taking four year institution courses, looks like one is trying to “escape the rigor” of those courses. However, I don’t want that to be the case. I’m a lot more chilled about this now, so thank you.
This is more directed at the weeding courses.

This is more directed at the weeding courses.

Microbio and anatomy wouldn’t count as those though? I guess not since they’re not prereqs but I thought differently since they’re hard level sciences

Microbio and anatomy wouldn’t count as those though? I guess not since they’re not prereqs but I thought differently since they’re hard level sciences
This will likely be screener/interviewer specific.

I'm OK with it. At my school, we rare hear someone complain that the candidate took too many courses at a CC. Some of them can be as rigorous as any four year school.

This will likely be screener/interviewer specific.

I'm OK with it. At my school, we rare hear someone complain that the candidate took too many courses at a CC. Some of them can be as rigorous as any four year school.

Yeah. It’s just anatomy I + II and micro with their labs. Maybe a nutrition course or something. It’s for my pln b.

Also, still gonna take Biochemistry ii, genetics and all these upper divisions at my four year institution so

I'm not saying there's no reason to take CC courses, but as for me- I can schedule my work around school. I go to University MWF and work Saturday Sunday and Thursday. I had to change from night shift to day shift, and make my life fit my plan but it was doable for me.

If I was married or had kids etc and couldn't make it fit my schedule, I certainly would've taken CC courses. I just don't feel it is optimal for me. And each school is different. I just know some local schools in my area are lacking. Many people attend these schools because they know that they are easier.

@Mike Bagwell

Your transcript and MCAT scores will demonstrate whether or not you were escaping anything. I know CPA's who took accounting courses at the CC who are partners in large firms today. The nurse that takes care of you probably completed the prereqs at a CC as well. I don't think the powers that hired them thought that they were escaping rigor.

If I could re-do everything again, I would have actually taken Gen Bio I and II at a CC when I was still a junior in HS.

The CC can be your best friend if you know how to use it.

Yeah. It’s just anatomy I + II and micro with their labs. Maybe a nutrition course or something. It’s for my pln b.

Also, still gonna take Biochemistry ii, genetics and all these upper divisions at my four year institution so

I'm a big proponent of taking anatomy I and II at the undergraduate level. Having done so myself, I believe it gives you the right foundation to build your medical education upon. In medical school, if you do not master anatomy, it will slow you down significantly. The undergrad preparation will give you the language and the overall outline and you will be a step ahead anyone who just has the introduction to vertebrate anatomy from the gen bio courses.

I'm a big proponent of taking anatomy I and II at the undergraduate level. Having done so myself, I believe it gives you the right foundation to build your medical education upon. In medical school, if you do not master anatomy, it will slow you down significantly. The undergrad preparation will give you the language and the overall outline and you will be a step ahead anyone who just has the introduction to vertebrate anatomy from the gen bio courses.

Exactly. I figured it can’t hurt to have anatomy knowledge. It’s not “required” but I’m assuming still quite useful

I agree. AP 1+2 was really helpful for me. Now medical micro was kind of a condensed version of a 3rd year GBIO class I took, but definitely helpful if you haven't had it. I think any knowledge is useful particularly pertaining to the human body.

As far as your "Plan B" I don't understand how adcoms reconcile advising students make wise decisions in the event Med school doesn't pan out, yet also advise students to take "non traditional" majors such as English, theater, humanities, etc when these fields generally have dismal opportunities, and advise against other healthcare fields despite the fact that we can live comfortably financially while pursing our prereqs. Instead of having to work 12 days a month making maybe 2,000 a month, you have the opportunity to work 12 days a month making 6,000 a month, or probably a better idea: Work 6 days a month and make 3,000 a month. This is my plan. As soon as I get into difficult courses like Orgo, biochem etc, I will have the ability to cut my hours back and maybe work every other weekend.

I agree very strongly with this. I'm glad I have my anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology background I have. While it may be skimming the surface, it gives me something to tie not only med school classes to, but also college level chemistry and other classes. Now when I read "Sodium Hypochlorite" on my bottle of Dakins while I'm doing a Fournier's gangrene dressing change, I can imagine what not only the molecules look like, but also the chemical formula.

Exactly. I figured it can’t hurt to have anatomy knowledge. It’s not “required” but I’m assuming still quite useful

Just to add to your understanding of what awaits. In medical school you have full courses devoted to some topics that you cover in undergrad A&P in only a few days; topics that by themselves are still considered hard at the undergrad level. In A&P in undergrad, a lot of people failed and then had either the cardio and respiratory physiology blocks dropped so they were still able to pass the class in the end. Can't do that in medical school. It is very important to have a 100 average in your undergrad A&P course for it have any significance moving forward.

Just to add to your understanding of what awaits. In medical school you have full courses devoted to some topics that you cover in undergrad A&P in only a few days; topics that by themselves are still considered hard at the undergrad level. In A&P in undergrad, a lot of people failed and then had either the cardio and respiratory physiology blocks dropped so they were still able to pass the class in the end. Can't do that in medical school. It is very important to have a 100 average in your undergrad A&P course for it have any significance moving forward.
How do you get parts of a class dropped? I haven't heard of that.

How do you get parts of a class dropped? I haven't heard of that.

What I meant to say was they got that test block score dropped. The policy was the lowest test grade gets dropped so that's how they were able to get by.

Wow that sounds nice. College has definitely gotten easier in a way. In my trig class, only 10% of our grade is based on the final exam. The rest is based on coming to class, going to math lab 3 hours per week, homework (which you can repeat until you get 100%), and Quizzes (That you get 10 times to retake, and it tells you which section you got wrong, and the questions are identical to others in the same section except the numerical values). I hope physics will be like this too...

Wow that sounds nice. College has definitely gotten easier in a way. In my trig class, only 10% of our grade is based on the final exam. The rest is based on coming to class, going to math lab 3 hours per week, homework (which you can repeat until you get 100%), and Quizzes (That you get 10 times to retake, and it tells you which section you got wrong, and the questions are identical to others in the same section except the numerical values). I hope physics will be like this too...

Depends on the school and the class...

Saying that is easier depends on the person. As a student athlete who also works part-time, volunteers, etc., having mandatory letures, math lab, and homework sounds like a nightmare. The easiest classes for me were the ones with a midterm and a final with no participation grade, homework, attendance, etc. Just 2 grades. At my university test averages for any STEM course structured like this would be below 60% with the median generally curved up to a 75% so if you were top 90% in terms of intelligence/study discipline an A was no problem with much less work put in than the homework/participation based courses like your trig class.

There's a US News "Top 50" university that grades orgo in such a way that if you are failing most of the semester, you can redeem yourself during the final and have that count as 90% of your grade.

So whether it's a CC, your state university, or a "US News School," Every institution distributes grades in a different way.

There's a US News "Top 50" university that grades orgo in such a way that if you are failing most of the semester, you can redeem yourself during the final and have that count as 90% of your grade.

So whether it's a CC, your state university, or a "US News School," Every institution distributes grades in a different way.

While that may sound easier, how on earth would one redeem themselves on an Orgo final while failing the whole semester, when it is most likely cumulative and far more difficult than any other exam during the whole semester?

Saying that is easier depends on the person. As a student athlete who also works part-time, volunteers, etc., having mandatory letures, math lab, and homework sounds like a nightmare. The easiest classes for me were the ones with a midterm and a final with no participation grade, homework, attendance, etc. Just 2 grades. At my university test averages for any STEM course structured like this would be below 60% with the median generally curved up to a 75% so if you were top 90% in terms of intelligence/study discipline an A was no problem with much less work put in than the homework/participation based courses like your trig class.

Yeah never thought of it that way. Personally, I hate when it’s just midterm and final (have a class like that now)

It’s just too much is contingent upon those grades. I like hmwrk and attendance etc to boost up the grade

Yeah never thought of it that way. Personally, I hate when it’s just midterm and final (have a class like that now)

It’s just too much is contingent upon those grades. I like hmwrk and attendance etc to boost up the grade
I agree it feels kind of "safer" to have homework grades, and it really just depends on the type of learner you are and what your schedule is like. I am a strong believer that universities should build more flexibility in their grading to accommodate different types of students. Ie. have 2 orgo sections, one which has homework grades, small-group "discussion" classes, etc. And another section which is just a couple of test grades with any additional practice being optional. Then students can pick which section they prefer. Either that or let students within the same class pick between 2 syllabus structures (or a combination between the two). So if they do the homework for the first unit exam, it counts for 40% of the exam grade, but if they don't do it, they're not penalized, and the grade is made up by weighting the exams heavier. Anyway, just some ideas that I've always thought would be useful but would never make it past the bueracrocy at my school .

I don't really mean hard in a practical sense, I mean in a learning sense. I really wish I could've scheduled more Tues Thurs classes so I could work an extra day a week so I know what you mean about mathlab being annoying. (I usually knock out all of my homework in an hour so I end up spending two hours working ahead. It really doesn't take 3 hours. But for a free A I don't mind).

At my highschool we never learned anything past exponents as far as algebra went, and trig wasn't offered. (We had many people at my highschool that were illiterate somehow). We learned basic geometry, and trig as a part of algebra or geometry (cant remember which). I had no idea what a logarithm was when I started school, and our math grade back then was just a midterm grade and a final exam grade. It was very overwhelming for someone taking 19 hours. For someone not already going in knowing the material, it seems much easier now (and having resources such as youtube etc help too. Youtube is a lifesaver).

While that may sound easier, how on earth would one redeem themselves on an Orgo final while failing the whole semester, when it is most likely cumulative and far more difficult than any other exam during the whole semester?

If you have a B, you can get an A.

If you have a B, you can get an A.
From the sound of it you can have an F and get an A

In both scenarios, you can still succeed at the very end.

The point is, that school could easily tell you to just drop the course.