This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEM16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have always found these threads annoying, but I am a very average applicant and figure a lot of people could relate to my stats.

Graduated with my BS in biology this May, 3.4 GPA (PharmCAS GPA should be about the same)
Recently got a job as a pharm tech at a CVS for the next year until start a PharmD program (hopefully)
Was involved with D1 athletics, clubs, and sorority during my undergrad
Decent LORs- didn't do research or anything
Taking PCAT in September and plan to have my application completed by then, plan to do pretty decent, not quite sure on the chem section which I know is important

I plan to apply to schools all over, like UMN, U of AZ, U Texas, Pacific U, CO, Midwestern AZ, Roseman.. I am working on the list but wondering if anyone has some insight on these stats and schools?! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure you will get in somewhere.. Your stats are good.

For Roseman.. You do not need to take the PCAT if you have a Bachelor degree..

I had a lower GPA, no pcat and no pharmacy experience. I was accepted to all of the six schools I applied to.

Just make a list of schools that you really want to attend and you meet their requirements; I am sure you will have several acceptance if you do good at your interviews.

Please let me know if you need any help!

Best of luck.

I had a lower GPA, no pcat and no pharmacy experience. I was accepted to all of the six schools I applied to.

Just make a list of schools that you really want to attend and you meet their requirements; I am sure you will have several acceptance if you do good at your interviews.

Best of luck.
Hi! Mind telling me what 6 schools you applied? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just based on your GPA, I think you'll be fine. If you really want to solidify a spot at a better school, score like in the 80+ percentiles and you're golden.

As for your list of schools, I would pick them based on cost, where you would actually be okay with living for 3-4 years, and what you plan to do in the future. For example, do you want to work in retail, a clinical setting, or industry? If you look at the websites of the schools, you'll find that some place their students in residencies and fellowships more frequently with higher success than others. While others tend to have students that mostly end up in retail. Build a spreadsheet with your list so they're easier to compare and eliminate. You can PM me and I can show you what I've done if you don't know where to start.

Hello, I have always found these threads annoying, but I am a very average applicant and figure a lot of people could relate to my stats.

Graduated with my BS in biology this May, 3.4 GPA (PharmCAS GPA should be about the same)
Recently got a job as a pharm tech at a CVS for the next year until start a PharmD program (hopefully)
Taking PCAT in September and plan to have my application completed by then, plan to do pretty decent, not quite sure on the chem section which I know is important

I plan to apply to schools all over, like UMN, U of AZ, U Texas, Pacific U, CO, Midwestern AZ, Roseman.. I am working on the list but wondering if anyone has some insight on these stats and schools?! Thanks!!
I live in Arizona so I can tell you about these schools. Starting this upcoming cycle, UofA's pharmacy school will be more involved with video conferencing in their classrooms. If you care that you're spending so much for tuition to have your 4 years of education on a Skype call, I would reconsider applying here. Midwestern requires LOR from a pharmacist I spoke with admissions myself.

Why will you come here with a 3.4 GPA and asking if you will get in? Lol, you will definitely get in. Even if you wait until datelines are extended by applying super late after March 1st, you will still get in. Pharmacy schools now are a walk in the park. The even accept students with a 2.0 GPA and 20 percentile on PCAT so getting in should be the least of your worries.

Why will you come here with a 3.4 GPA and asking if you will get in? Lol, you will definitely get in. Even if you wait until datelines are extended by applying super late after March 1st, you will still get in. Pharmacy schools now are a walk in the park. The even accept students with a 2.0 GPA and 20 percentile on PCAT so getting in should be the least of your worries.
What pharmacy schools are your talking about? Every time I seen a post on student doctor network about someone being worried with a low GPA of 2.5-2.8 GPA to get into pharmacy school many would say they should retake classes/do well on the PCAT/etc., most average GPA for pharmacy classes I've seen were around 3.5 also and not just for the top tiered schools. My GPA isn't super competitive so I've looked into it a lot.

Just based on your GPA, I think you'll be fine. If you really want to solidify a spot at a better school, score like in the 80+ percentiles and you're golden.

As for your list of schools, I would pick them based on cost, where you would actually be okay with living for 3-4 years, and what you plan to do in the future. For example, do you want to work in retail, a clinical setting, or industry? If you look at the websites of the schools, you'll find that some place their students in residencies and fellowships more frequently with higher success than others. While others tend to have students that mostly end up in retail. Build a spreadsheet with your list so they're easier to compare and eliminate. You can PM me and I can show you what I've done if you don't know where to start.

Thanks so much for the insight! I have somewhat of a spreadsheet prepared with my list of schools. What I have had trouble finding is where most of the students at each school end up, like you said residency, retail, etc. Do you have any tips on this? Or any information on the specific schools I listed? Thanks again!

Best of luck.

Thanks so much on the insight, I really appreciate it! How did you choose the schools you applied to?

What pharmacy schools are your talking about? Every time I seen a post on student doctor network about someone being worried with a low GPA of 2.5-2.8 GPA to get into pharmacy school many would say they should retake classes/do well on the PCAT/etc., most average GPA for pharmacy classes I've seen were around 3.5 also and not just for the top tiered schools. My GPA isn't super competitive so I've looked into it a lot.

Touro NY, Appalachian, PCOM and many more. Pharmacy school standards are very low compared to Med/Dental school. As you have a GPA of over 3.0 you will be fine as long as you meet their minimums (which are either a 2.5 or 2.7 depending on the school) your application will be reviewed. Just do well on the PCAT, get good LOR's and you will definitely get in even competitive schools, they are always looking for well rounded applicants so no worries.

Thanks so much for the insight! I have somewhat of a spreadsheet prepared with my list of schools. What I have had trouble finding is where most of the students at each school end up, like you said residency, retail, etc. Do you have any tips on this? Or any information on the specific schools I listed? Thanks again!
Well-established programs usually have this info listed on their site. Here's an example from UM: https://pharmacy.umich.edu/pharmd.

You have a pulse.....you'll get in somewhere. The profession is so watered down with diploma mills you don't even need a B average.

Your stats are good enough to get into an established state school. Don't be dumb and go to one of these 30k+ a year programs. Go to a cheaper in state school that charges 15-20k a year. The loans add up, especially with no grace period on interest.

All you need to care about is accreditation status and tuition amount. Don't be duped by all the other salesman crap schools try to sell you.

Reactions: 1 user
You are fine, I got into 4/5 schools with a 3.1, tech job, and 93 PCAT.

Just go to the cheapest school that you can.

You are fine, I got into 4/5 schools with a 3.1, tech job, and 93 PCAT.

Just go to the cheapest school that you can.
Did you apply for top ranked schools? I have a similar GPA and not sure if I should waste the money to apply to highly competitive programs.

Did you apply for top ranked schools? I have a similar GPA and not sure if I should waste the money to apply to highly competitive programs.

I got into a top 5 school, my interview was offered a little late in the cycle though.

I got into a top 5 school, my interview was offered a little late in the cycle though.
How long did you work as a tech? Extracurricular activities? If you don't mind me asking.
I don't have tech experience but about 200 volunteer hours.

Best of luck.
Which other school's were you accepted to?

Best of luck.
What schools did you apply to?

Take your time and go for the best one, as you have good scores.