Will this post-bacc plan work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marnico

Reaction score
Recently I have had a hard time deciding on whether or not to pursue clinical psychology or psychiatry. Well, that is until I heard of post-bacc programs. As of now, my plan is to pursue clinical psychology because I know I will have a much greater academic success as there are much less math and science requirements; subjects I am not too great at. However, in the off chance that I decide to change my career after having already graduated with a degree in psychology, I would like to know if what I read about these post-bacc programs is true--Is it possible to apply to one and become a psychiatrist from there, even if I have never taken med school prerequisites? To clarify, by psychology degree I mean Ph.D, not bachelor's, although I am curious if it would work with both (?) Additionally, I am wondering if I am able to do the same but with community college classes instead? I heard it is looked down upon by med schools but also read that they are accepted in some. I heard about DIY post-baccs as well but am not to sure as to what they are.. it sounds like another 4 years of college so if I'm right I'd rather not go down that road. Also, are they only for med schools, or are there other postbacc programs as well? Please let me know how I can go about this plan "B" of sorts. I realize it will take longer and will likely be more expensive, but I figured it's better to focus on what I know I can do well in and keep the other option under my belt, rather than to try and do both at the same time and risk not getting into neither med school nor grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know if what I read about these post-bacc programs is true--Is it possible to apply to one and become a psychiatrist from there, even if I have never taken med school prerequisites?

You complete the post-bacc program, and it will include the prerequisites you need. Then you can take the MCAT, and then you can apply to med school.

I heard it is looked down upon by med schools but also read that they are accepted in some. I heard about DIY post-baccs as well but am not to sure as to what they are.. it sounds like another 4 years of college so if I'm right I'd rather not go down that road. Also, are they only for med schools, or are there other postbacc programs as well?

So, I'm at the end of my own DIY post bacc (i.e. have not applied yet). A DIY post bacc is where you just find out what classes you need and take them on your own at whatever school you want. So its not a formal program, and you just take the prereqs you know you need. I took everything I could at CC. As far as I know, many schools accept CC credits. Some may not. From what I've gathered, the main reason CC would be frowned upon is if you go there because it's "easier". I went there because I could afford it, and all the classes and labs I needed were offered at night. As for it being "another 4 years" I don't think that's accurate, but it all depends on what you've already taken and how many classes you can handle per semester. I'm working full time and basically took 1 per semester, and it took me about 2 years. If you're not working you could maybe do it in 1. With a psych degree I assume you'd be lacking in math, chemistry, and biology.

And I have no idea about post baccs for things other than med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently I have had a hard time deciding on whether or not to pursue clinical psychology or psychiatry. Well, that is until I heard of post-bacc programs. As of now, my plan is to pursue clinical psychology because I know I will have a much greater academic success as there are much less math and science requirements; subjects I am not too great at. However, in the off chance that I decide to change my career after having already graduated with a degree in psychology, I would like to know if what I read about these post-bacc programs is true--Is it possible to apply to one and become a psychiatrist from there, even if I have never taken med school prerequisites? To clarify, by psychology degree I mean Ph.D, not bachelor's, although I am curious if it would work with both (?) Additionally, I am wondering if I am able to do the same but with community college classes instead? I heard it is looked down upon by med schools but also read that they are accepted in some. I heard about DIY post-baccs as well but am not to sure as to what they are.. it sounds like another 4 years of college so if I'm right I'd rather not go down that road. Also, are they only for med schools, or are there other postbacc programs as well? Please let me know how I can go about this plan "B" of sorts. I realize it will take longer and will likely be more expensive, but I figured it's better to focus on what I know I can do well in and keep the other option under my belt, rather than to try and do both at the same time and risk not getting into neither med school nor grad school.

You should first of all decide if you want to go to grad school for psych or medical school.

I finished my pre reqs at community colleges and got into a few good schools. Never came up at my interviews. Adcoms are aware that there are financial/time constraints that make community college classes more reasonable. It definitely shouldnt take you 4 years to do a DIY post bacc.. took me one, if you have none of the pre reqs you could probably finish in two. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You complete the post-bacc program, and it will include the prerequisites you need. Then you can take the MCAT, and then you can apply to med school.

So, I'm at the end of my own DIY post bacc (i.e. have not applied yet). A DIY post bacc is where you just find out what classes you need and take them on your own at whatever school you want. So its not a formal program, and you just take the prereqs you know you need. I took everything I could at CC. As far as I know, many schools accept CC credits. Some may not. From what I've gathered, the main reason CC would be frowned upon is if you go there because it's "easier". I went there because I could afford it, and all the classes and labs I needed were offered at night. As for it being "another 4 years" I don't think that's accurate, but it all depends on what you've already taken and how many classes you can handle per semester. I'm working full time and basically took 1 per semester, and it took me about 2 years. If you're not working you could maybe do it in 1. With a psych degree I assume you'd be lacking in math, chemistry, and biology.

And I have no idea about post baccs for things other than med school.
Thank you for your reply, if possible please let me know how it works out for you when you finish applying

You should first of all decide if you want to go to grad school for psych or medical school.

I finished my pre reqs at community colleges and got into a few good schools. Never came up at my interviews. Adcoms are aware that there are financial/time constraints that make community college classes more reasonable. It definitely shouldnt take you 4 years to do a DIY post bacc.. took me one, if you have none of the pre reqs you could probably finish in two. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you for your reply. So I suppose the only time it is looked down upon to take community college classes is when you decide to go premed from the start? At least that's what my advisor told me

Thank you for your reply. So I suppose the only time it is looked down upon to take community college classes is when you decide to go premed from the start? At least that's what my advisor told me

I mean look it's probably better to take them at a 4 year school, but almost every medical school in the country accepts community college courses and again it didnt hold me back at all. DO schools in particular dont seem to care. I saved so much money and was able to work full time because I took classes at CCs.

In theory yea it looks bad for a college student who is at a four year college to take community college courses in tough classes like O chem over the summer rather than just taking it at their home institution. It makes it look like they're avoiding the difficult stuff. In your case as a non traditional student schools will know you likely did it at community colleges due to financial or work reasons.

Feel free to message me if you have further concerns. Good luck!

I honestly do not recommend DIY post bacc for applicants who aren’t strong test takers. Sure that’s the cheaper route. But where are your priorities? Getting into medical school 5 years without spending too much dough, or getting into medical school within 2 years by spending an extra $50k? The answer may seem like a no-brainer now. But those 3 years or so will be spent as lost earnings, potentially $200k x 3

There are conditional acceptance post baccs that WILL interview you (and at that point acceptance is nearly 85% possible), provided that you meet the academic limits. Please check them out.

Thank you for your reply, if possible please let me know how it works out for you when you finish applying
I'll try! Hopefully applying next year, unless I don't do so hot on the MCAT, so we'll see.

I honestly do not recommend DIY post bacc for applicants who aren’t strong test takers. Sure that’s the cheaper route. But where are your priorities? Getting into medical school 5 years without spending too much dough, or getting into medical school within 2 years by spending an extra $50k? The answer may seem like a no-brainer now. But those 3 years or so will be spent as lost earnings, potentially $200k x 3

There are conditional acceptance post baccs that WILL interview you (and at that point acceptance is nearly 85% possible), provided that you meet the academic limits. Please check them out.

Formal post-bacc programs are great, but not everyone gets in. Where I live, only the main state school offered a formal pre-med post-bacc but its highly competitive. I applied twice with some excellent undergrad stats and never got in, so I opted for piecemeal science classes and it worked out. Slower, yes, but better than waiting and wasting even more time.

Formal post-bacc programs are great, but not everyone gets in. Where I live, only the main state school offered a formal pre-med post-bacc but its highly competitive. I applied twice with some excellent undergrad stats and never got in, so I opted for piecemeal science classes and it worked out. Slower, yes, but better than waiting and wasting even more time.
Good for you. I admire your patience and fortitude. That is definitely something I dont have im spades lol