Will YOU Get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get a vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 249 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
I am on it like white on Rice.
Give it to me.
Is it weird that I am gonna miss taking care of these patients though? And doing a pretty decent job of not intubating them? Seems like the intubations happen when I am off service or at night.
Some of these docs are still intubating patients 11 months into this pandemic way too early IMO. Even if this is your first wave have you not read anything about this at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I like the way Fauci states things here. He understands the importance of making this easy to understand for the general population.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to get autism right now so I'm going to hold off until the masses get their dose first

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to get autism right now so I'm going to hold off until the masses get their dose first

Whatever you do, don’t get a labor epidural and COVID vax at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Attachments

• B79916EC-F721-4358-9F57-B846AB8BEAF9.jpeg
    B79916EC-F721-4358-9F57-B846AB8BEAF9.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Wow
This exact sign was over a bridge in my city as well. People standing by the sign were also holding signs that said the vaccine was made from “aborted fetal stem cells”...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
This exact sign was over a bridge in my city as well. People standing by the sign were also holding signs that said the vaccine was made from “aborted fetal stem cells”...

LOL. Yeah that’s why i was skeptical about the sign at first. But the article i posted was pretty insightful.

Gotta add to the list.

I didn't know we had the option of getting a vaccine made with aborted fetal stem cells. Do we have to pay extra for that?

Pairs well with a nice Chianti.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

A little bit different from what ACIP actually decided yesterday.

Interesting the recommendation is to vaccine both healthcare workers (those most exposed) and nursing home residents (those most at risk) simultaneously in the first phases. Operation Warp Speed officials think majority can be vaccinated by late April, which is wild.

Coronavirus also cause of common cold. Wonder how effective it is for that as well to decrease the amount of common colds. Also, I wonder if all this mask/face shield wearing and distancing and more awareness of hand washing has lead to less viral things like ear infections, colds, etc. I can tell that anecdote the peds hospital is much less busy from likely less falls, less ear infections.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Coronavirus also cause of common cold. Wonder how effective it is for that as well to decrease the amount of common colds. Also, I wonder if all this mask/face shield wearing and distancing and more awareness of hand washing has lead to less viral things like ear infections, colds, etc. I can tell that anecdote the peds hospital is much less busy from likely less falls, less ear infections.
I'm outpatient FM and our URI volume this year is WAY down compared to last year.

It could be that people know if they call with URI symptoms we will make them get COVID tested and so are just toughing it out at home, but I'd be surprised if that accounted for all of our decreased volume.

Reactions: 2 users
Our peds ent said their ear tubes volume is WAY down this year.

Didn't we expect all this social distancing and mask wearing and isolation to drastically reduce cases of all infectious diseases, from URIs to the flu to gonorrhea?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
where did you get that?

I was going to post same article. Seroprevalence is still low and there are many more vulnerable people who could get sick.

However, there is also some evidence that previous infection with other corona viruses can offer some protection from serious SARS-Cov2 disease.

Getting vaccine risk looks to be less than not getting vaccine from what Ive heard. So assuming that is in fact continued to be confirmed then yes.

I am also on the fence due to some skepticism (1976 swine flu vax which I am thankful my mother did not have administered to me) but am intrigued by the mRNA solution and the advancements we have made in science over the course of my lifetime. I am inclined to accept the vaccine should it become available to us in the next few weeks. I am also eager to learn how they intend to disseminate and administer it if the Pfizer solution requires storage at extreme temperatures. That will hurt like a mother if injected at that temp!
The longitudinal data will accumulate whether or not we accept the vaccine, but I live in an area that, while semi-rural, has the highest county positive rate in our state courtesy of many unbelievers and anti-maskers. And, hey, we have the UK starting trials now and they will be the earliest guinea pigs

I feel like there’s an impending s*%tshow when they vaccinate long term care residents. Obviously not the same population as the trials just like kids aren’t. Good luck convincing Americans that their 98 year old grandma didn’t die from the vaccine.

I'll take the vaccine. It's clear that schools, small businesses and society in general won't open until a vaccine gets released. So give it to me.

Another question is, “should a provider who wishes not to be in the initial rounds of receiving an mRNA vaccine be exempt until further safety studies are reported?”
For example, should a woman physician who is pregnant or attempting to conceive be required to be vaccinated in order to continue caring for patients?
At least at my institution no one is required to get the vaccine even if we're prioritized to get it early. Also, you can change your mind down the line and opt to be vaccinated at a later date as more safety data comes in. When I am offered the vaccine I will take it if I'm not pregnant at that point, and if I am I will consult with my OBGYN to weigh risk/benefits and decide.

I am also on the fence due to some skepticism (1976 swine flu vax which I am thankful my mother did not have administered to me) but am intrigued by the mRNA solution and the advancements we have made in science over the course of my lifetime. I am inclined to accept the vaccine should it become available to us in the next few weeks. I am also eager to learn how they intend to disseminate and administer it if the Pfizer solution requires storage at extreme temperatures. That will hurt like a mother if injected at that temp!
The longitudinal data will accumulate whether or not we accept the vaccine, but I live in an area that, while semi-rural, has the highest county positive rate in our state courtesy of many unbelievers and anti-maskers. And, hey, we have the UK starting trials now and they will be the earliest guinea pigs
Liquid nitrogen is significantly colder and I spray that on people all the time. Only hurts with prolonged use, the 1 second it'll take for the body to warm this up shouldn't been all that unpleasant.

Our hospital already has the freezers necessary for storage so if you want the vaccine you have to get it at the hospital. More rural places will have a tougher time with this I expect.

I am also eager to learn how they intend to disseminate and administer it if the Pfizer solution requires storage at extreme temperatures.

The good news is once you thaw it, you have 5 days to administer it. That is good news for getting vaccine out to rural areas.

Reactions: 3 users
I dont think they will inject at that temp. Once moved to a normal refrigerator, it can be stored for 5 days.

Whoops, missed the above post

Several different mRNA vaccines have now been tested from phase I to IIb clinical studies and have been shown to be safe and reasonably well tolerated (Tables 2, 3). However, recent human trials have demonstrated moderate and in rare cases severe injection site or systemic reactions for different mRNA platforms22,91. Potential safety concerns that are likely to be evaluated in future preclinical and clinical studies include local and systemic inflammation, the biodistribution and persistence of expressed immunogen, stimulation of auto-reactive antibodies and potential toxic effects of any non-native nucleotides and delivery system components. A possible concern could be that some mRNA-based vaccine platforms54,166induce potent type I interferon responses, which have been associated not only with inflammation but also potentially with autoimmunity167,168. Thus, identification of individuals at an increased risk of autoimmune reactions before mRNA vaccination may allow reasonable precautions to be taken. Another potential safety issue could derive from the presence of extracellular RNA during mRNA vaccination. Extracellular naked RNA has been shown to increase the permeability of tightly packed endothelial cells and may thus contribute to oedema169. Another study showed that extracellular RNA promoted blood coagulation and pathological thrombus formation170. Safety will therefore need continued evaluation as different mRNA modalities and delivery systems are utilized for the first time in humans and are tested in larger patient populations.

Thank you for the reference manuscript.

Yes. Getting the vaccine next week.

I believe in the vaccine. But, transportation and storage are my only concerns. Rocuronium is supposed to refrigerated, and we all know how that turns out. /s

Just got my first dose today. I feel fine except for a new craving to eat people’s brains. Eh, it will probably pass.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users