Will YOU Get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get a vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 249 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
I got dose #1 yesterday afternoon.

No Problems!
I did notice the RN was using a #20 gauge needle and the stuff was quite viscus. All of which lead to a sore injection site. (I suggest everybody take a Tylenol/Motrin prior to the shot.)
The RN doing my shot told me she had had no unusual reactions all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn’t all of those side effects have been caught by Pfizers trial that ended in October and had 20,000 people getting the vaccine? I’m not sure I ever heard of hidden long term vaccine effects (except for Wakefield’s debacle)
Occasionally, there are delayed effects not revealed in clinical trials. A more recent example is narcolepsy that was linked to the adjuvant in the pandemrix vaccine administered in 2009.

Last edited:
Occasionally, there are delayed effects not revealed in clinical trials. A more recent example is narcolepsy that was linked to the adjuvant in the pandemrix vaccine administered in 2009.
Umm, did you read the 2nd link in that search?

Conclusions:​

Other than elevated narcolepsy IRs in the period after vaccination campaigns in Sweden, we did not find an association between AS03- or MF59-adjuvanted pH1N1 vaccines and narcolepsy in children or adults in the sites studied, although power to evaluate the AS03-adjuvanted Pandemrix brand vaccine was limited in our study.

Or the 8th?

Conclusions:​

Influenza vaccines containing the A(H1N1)pdm09 virus strain used in the United States were not associated with an increased risk of narcolepsy. Vaccination with the influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 vaccine viral antigens does not appear to be sufficient by itself to increase the incidence of narcolepsy in a population.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 4 users
Our ID docs gave a good approach to think about this which i liked. Think about what we know vs. what we don't. Basically we know there are no serious ADRs in the 1/1000 range because the odds of them not showing up in the trial are extremely low. There may be a small risk of bell's palsy in the 1/10,000 range. We don't have enough data to say we know the 1/100000 or 1/million side effects (if any). But at that order of magnitude, getting COVID is a much, much, much bigger issue.

Yes it is true we dont have long term f/u. For what it's worth, however, essentially all major ADRs from prior vaccines (e.g. guillam barre) occur within the 2 month time frame.

Reactions: 1 users
I am still waiting for our little system to get access to that vaccine and will get it as soon as possible. It is supposed to be in the next 2 weeks, although there is debate regarding whether we will be getting the Pfizer or Moderna vax.

It is interesting that they are prioritizing 90 year olds over everyone else.

That's just the microchip starting to kick in
I can't wait! I got a new cell phone that has 5g capability, so I'll get awesome reception as I'm going to become a walking 5g cell signal hotspot with the vaccine! Hopefully those microchips can help make me smarter too or something

Members don't see this ad :)
Were anesthesia personnel prioritized at your place?

I get the first dose this weekend.
One of my ENT friends got it 2 days ago. He had to cancel his schedule today because his arm hurt so much he didn’t think he could operate safely. And he’s not a wimpy kind of guy. :(

Left a pretty sore silver dollar size area on my arm for 24hrs. Nobody missed work in my group. The lot number is on the vaccination card wonder if there is any correlation with lots and side effects. Have one colleague they had rona in the summer got first shot and had a rough day afterwards. Was attributing it to “robust” immune response from previous infection.

I received my first dose 6 hours ago, less injection site soreness as compared to my usual annual flu vaccine soreness. However, I thought I read that many of the adverse reactions were after the 2nd dose. Thus, it doesn't surprise me if many of us don't feel much this time around.

As the other poster mentioned, I weigh the risk of long term issues with getting COVID19 far outweigh the risks with the vaccine. Thus, get the vaccine and hope your odds are forever in your favor.....

Hell yeah, make me a pin cushion baby.

I can't even get one vaccine. Guess all those zoom meeting from home administrators and 90 yo nursing home gomers need it more than the guy tubing these people on the reg.

Reactions: 3 users
I get the first dose this weekend.
One of my ENT friends got it 2 days ago. He had to cancel his schedule today because his arm hurt so much he didn’t think he could operate safely. And he’s not a wimpy kind of guy. :(
I got it 2 days ago. It was fine day of. I woke up the next morning with a pretty sore injection site which stayed sore all day pretty much. Today it was totally back to normal.
Side effects are way more common after the second injection, so I’m not looking forward to that, but it’ll be nice to be vaccinated fully. Hopefully it works as well as the trials suggest.

My arm was sore the next day and I had a mild headache for like an hour. Cant really say for sure weather the headache was due to the vaccine. Sometimes when I get the influenza vaccine I feel a very mild general malaise, but didn't feel that way after the Pfizer covid vax. The risks and benefits of any intervention should be always considered. Vaccination would seem to have a decisively favorable risk/benefit ratio.

Got the vaccine earlier this afternoon. Within a few hours noticed low grade fevers and mild generalized myalgias. Nothing that would cause me to have to miss work or anything like that tho.

I got it yesterday. 5 or 6 hours later I thought maybe I had a bit of fever but my temp was normal. Felt fine. No other symptoms. No soreness at the injection site.

I was still waiting to be granted a vaccine appointment, but then my genius hospital thawed too many doses yesterday so I was able to swoop in and get one.

1608396945337.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Got mine yesterday, no side effects other than delt soreness for a few hours.

I was still waiting to be granted a vaccine appointment, but then my genius hospital thawed too many doses yesterday so I was able to swoop in and get one.

View attachment 325437

Something similar must have happened at my place. Was scheduled to get it next Tuesday but around noon yesterday they put out word that everybody who wants to be vaccinated should come down and get one. So basically everybody who was working in the OR yesterday got one.

Update, had mine yesterday. Only thing this AM was very mild delt injection site soreness. Around 28 hour mark I started to feel body aches, mild headache, and some fatigue like i would with getting some Flu vaccines. Nothing to really complain of.

If anything, I'm going to get some really good sleep tonight. Especially after a glass of wine with a good home cooked meal tonight. (grilled marinated filet, Brussel Sprouts, and homemade 🦀 cakes by the mrs)

Reactions: 4 users
I received shot #1 of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Feel completely fine today. Hope it works as intended.

Granted, now I'm a slave to Bill Gates and controllable by government forces, but oh well.

• Haha
Something similar must have happened at my place. Was scheduled to get it next Tuesday but around noon yesterday they put out word that everybody who wants to be vaccinated should come down and get one. So basically everybody who was working in the OR yesterday got one.

Wonder if it has anything to do with this. I have no role in administering the vaccine at my hospital but we were able to expand enrollment as well.

It's not like they had months to plan it or anything

This incompetence is pretty much on point at all levels
Name one region that had a reliable estimate of how many doses that would be available now months ago.

Name one region that had a reliable estimate of how many doses that would be available now months ago.

Do you need to know how many doses are available to make a plan about how to allocate? You can only do one shot at a time.

I’m not denying the outcome of the election but Trump accurately predicted vaccine availability back in August.

Jane C. Timm and Jane Weaver
114d ago / 5:18 PM HST

Fact check: No evidence for Trump's COVID-19 vaccine claim​

“In recent months, our nation, and the entire planet, has been struck by a new and powerful invisible enemy. Like those brave Americans before us, we are meeting this challenge. We are delivering lifesaving therapies, and will produce a vaccine before the end of the year, or maybe even sooner!” Trump claimed on Thursday night.

This is largely false. The U.S. is still struggling to meet the challenge of the deadly coronavirus, which is still spreading rapidly and killing sometimes more than a thousand people a day while other countries have managed to reduce transmission and dramatically reduce deaths. The U.S. has a quarter of the globe's confirmed infections, despite having just 4.2 percent of the global population. Meanwhile, testing is limited and shortages of personal protective equipment persist six months after the first days of the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are getting it fast. I think i have heard we would start getting it in january but nothing definitive.

I’m not denying the outcome of the election but Trump accurately predicted vaccine availability back in August.

Jane C. Timm and Jane Weaver
114d ago / 5:18 PM HST

Fact check: No evidence for Trump's COVID-19 vaccine claim​

“In recent months, our nation, and the entire planet, has been struck by a new and powerful invisible enemy. Like those brave Americans before us, we are meeting this challenge. We are delivering lifesaving therapies, and will produce a vaccine before the end of the year, or maybe even sooner!” Trump claimed on Thursday night.

This is largely false. The U.S. is still struggling to meet the challenge of the deadly coronavirus, which is still spreading rapidly and killing sometimes more than a thousand people a day while other countries have managed to reduce transmission and dramatically reduce deaths. The U.S. has a quarter of the globe's confirmed infections, despite having just 4.2 percent of the global population. Meanwhile, testing is limited and shortages of personal protective equipment persist six months after the first days of the pandemic.

He also predicted in March that COVID would be over by Easter. And that hydroxychloroquine would be highly effective. And that plenty of PPE would be available. And that 85% of people who wear masks catch the virus.

You guys are getting it fast. I think i have heard we would start getting it in january but nothing definitive.
I bet your system has it, it's just all the "critical" administrators that haven't set foot inside a patient care hallway in years are hoarding the doses for themselves, their families, and their golfing buddies.

I bet your system has it, it's just all the "critical" administrators that haven't set foot inside a patient care hallway in years are hoarding the doses for themselves, their families, and their golfing buddies.
Or they can sell the vaccine at a higher price in the US so that's who they're selling it to first...

Do you need to know how many doses are available to make a plan about how to allocate? You can only do one shot at a time.
Sounds like they're giving one shot at a time...what's your beef?

Sounds like they're giving one shot at a time...what's your beef?

The point he's making about having months to prepare is in reference to the fact that even if we didnt know when the vaccine was coming or how many shots it would be, we still could've figured out the logistics of central storage, distribution, transportation, end-site storage, and then each site could've come up with an action plan for who is getting vaccinated, what is the order, and what computer system will be used to allow people to register, make an appointment, get their shot, track side effects, etc.

The point he's making about having months to prepare is in reference to the fact that even if we didnt know when the vaccine was coming or how many shots it would be, we still could've figured out the logistics of central storage, distribution, transportation, end-site storage, and then each site could've come up with an action plan for who is getting vaccinated, what is the order, and what computer system will be used to allow people to register, make an appointment, get their shot, track side effects, etc.

Months huh? That would’ve meant acknowledging a vaccine was on the way rather than the media claiming everything that may have helped trump was a lie.

Months huh? That would’ve meant acknowledging a vaccine was on the way rather than the media claiming everything that may have helped trump was a lie.

People knew since last January that a vaccine was in development and was on the way...*at some point*. But there was no reason to anticipate it coming out as absurdly fast as it did given that the fastest vaccine approval up to this point was like 4 years. But even without having a definitive rollout date, there was no harm in laying the foundation of a distribution plan.

And you're totally out of your element if you think anyone with half a brain was going to give trump the benefit of the doubt with a prediction about the vaccine given his record on covid case numbers, the disease's relative mortality, testing and tracing, HCQ, masks, and his suggestion to inject disinfectants and shove UV lights up your a$$.

I give him about as much credit for that vaccine timeline prediction as I give a broken clock.

440px-20200401_Trump_coronavirus_quote_timelines_-_Washington_Post.svg.png

images.png

Last edited:
I guess the question is who is 'we'? Whatever incompetence there may be, it sounds to be regional. 'if they'd only checked with me first' kind of statements are sort of tiresome.

I guess the question is who is 'we'? Whatever incompetence there may be, it sounds to be regional. 'if they'd only checked with me first' kind of statements are sort of tiresome.
It is regional once we're talking about the end-distribution sites. And in those cases it comes down to your health system, hospital, and state/local depts of health having a coordination plan.

You sound a little crazy. You're supporting a guy who for the past month has done nothing other than tweet, play golf and make up lies about the election. Maybe if trump spent more time actually doing his job, he wouldn't need to make up excuses for why he lost it.

We all knew that multiple vaccines were in the works since the spring. No one expected it to come out this early and to give any credit to Trump despite his massive campaign of disinformation and mismanagement is a huge slap in the face to the countless scientists that actually made it happen. Also does it matter that the vaccine is out when most of the population won't be vaccinated for months and we are in the throes of the worst surge yet without a solid plan from the federal government to manage the crisis.

Reactions: 10 users