Will YOU Get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get a vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 249 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
You sound a little crazy. You're supporting a guy who for the past month has done nothing other than tweet, play golf and make up lies about the election. Maybe if trump spent more time actually doing his job, he wouldn't need to make up excuses for why he lost it.

We all knew that multiple vaccines were in the works since the spring. No one expected it to come out this early and to give any credit to Trump despite his massive campaign of disinformation and mismanagement is a huge slap in the face to the countless scientists that actually made it happen. Also does it matter that the vaccine is out when most of the population won't be vaccinated for months and we are in the throes of the worst surge yet without a solid plan from the federal government to manage the crisis.

I didn’t say i supported trump. I’m half trolling. But i don’t believe for a second that we didn’t know the vaccine was going to be out in December a few months ago based on the now published data by Pfizer. I think this is poor leadership all around from the pharmaceutical companies to the government and major medical societies. Had we not politicized this and made a better argument for waiting out the vaccine that was going to be out in December, we may not be where we are.

Members don't see this ad.

No one knew in August or September that the data would be as good as it is. Also, look at the bolded for trump's first vaccine timeline prediction:

"BioNTech partnered with Pfizer in March to scale up the research, launching a clinical trial in May. They found that the vaccine caused volunteers to produce antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, as well as immune cells called T cells that respond to the virus. On July 27, the companies announced the launch of a Phase 2/3 trial with 30,000 volunteers in the United States and other countries including Argentina, Brazil, and Germany. On Sept. 12, Pfizer and BioNTech announced that they would seek to expand their U.S. trial to 44,000 participants.

Through the summer and into the fall, the world focused more and more of its attention on the Pfizer-BioNTech trial. In September, Dr. Albert Bourla, the chief executive of Pfizer, said the Phase 3 trial would deliver enough results as soon as October to show if the vaccine worked or not. President Trump touted their progress, hinting that a vaccine would be available before the election. But on Oct. 27, Dr. Bourla announced that the volunteers in the trial had yet to experience enough cases of Covid-19 to determine if the vaccines work. Finally, on Nov. 8, Pfizer and BioNTech released preliminary analysis of the first 94 cases.

Over the next month, Pfizer and BioNTech released more data on more cases. On Dec. 8 the FDA released their independent analysis of the clinical trials. They determined that the vaccine has an efficacy rate of 95 percent. Less than two weeks after the first dose, the vaccine started protecting volunteers, and the second dose three weeks later boosted their immune response. The vaccine showed little difference in its protection of Black, Latino, and white volunteers; likewise, people with conditions such as obesity or diabetes enjoyed the same level of protection. The elderly also showed the same efficacy rate as people under 65. While the vaccine caused no serious side effects, it frequently caused short-lived fatigue, fever, and muscle aches."

Members don't see this ad :)
was it ever otherwise?
Uhhh, before it gets to those end-sites...yes. The federal government, operation warp speed, big pharma, and the nationwide logistics companies (UPS, Fedex etc) are responsible for coordination and the distribution plan to get the vaccine to the final state and local hubs.

Reactions: 2 users
Comments in this thread shouldn't surprise me, but they do...otherwise skeptical, rational physicians that weigh available evidence in context.... sacrifice situation on the ground at the altar of their narrative...guess we're just like everyone else....

• Hmm
Got vaccinated. Still not a zombie. Can't wait to get the 2nd dose in early January.

I predict life will go back to "normal" end of Q2 2021. Enough people will then have been vaccinated, got sick and survived, wont get it under any circumstance, or will have died to allow for "herd" immunity. Until then I will wear my mask and do the exact same thing I did for the last 9 months that allowed me to avoid contracting COVID.

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
I didn’t say i supported trump. I’m half trolling. But i don’t believe for a second that we didn’t know the vaccine was going to be out in December a few months ago based on the now published data by Pfizer. I think this is poor leadership all around from the pharmaceutical companies to the government and major medical societies. Had we not politicized this and made a better argument for waiting out the vaccine that was going to be out in December, we may not be where we are.
Being a student of military history, I can assure you that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

This is no different from any wartime situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Although I know others feel differently, we need to make sure that GOP lawmakers (especially those who have been vocal against measures) get their vaccine early and very publicly. That’s the only way we’ll get the GOP people on the fence to consider even getting one.

I bet your system has it, it's just all the "critical" administrators that haven't set foot inside a patient care hallway in years are hoarding the doses for themselves, their families, and their golfing buddies.
My cousin is a COO of a hospital and got his yesterday. He doesn’t even see patients. SMH.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Although I know others feel differently, we need to make sure that GOP lawmakers (especially those who have been vocal against measures) get their vaccine early and very publicly. That’s the only way we’ll get the GOP people on the fence to consider even getting one.

I don't understand why we are so obsessed with trying to convince people to get the vaccine when we don't even have enough for the people who want it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because we will, and the more people who eventually take this the better.

I Would be surprised if we have too much vaccine waiting on person’s for a while. The longer the vaccines are out, the more people will have received it, the more likely people are accepting of vaccine to take it. I suspect it will be the better part of a year before we can even vaccinate the majority.

I Would be surprised if we have too much vaccine waiting on person’s for a while. The longer the vaccines are out, the more people will have received it, the more likely people are accepting of vaccine to take it. I suspect it will be the better part of a year before we can even vaccinate the majority.
Fauci is on record saying he thinks everyone that wants one will have had at least 1 dose by June (maybe as early as April). I can believe it given that Moderna has promised 200 million doses by June at the latest. Pfizer has promised 50 million in the same time span. So that's 125 million people. So far only 46% of people as of last Sunday were willing to take it as soon as its offered. Given current population numbers, that's 152 million people. That's pretty close, and assumes no additional doses of either and no other vaccine approvals in the next 6 months.

Fauci is on record saying he thinks everyone that wants one will have had at least 1 dose by June (maybe as early as April). I can believe it given that Moderna has promised 200 million doses by June at the latest. Pfizer has promised 50 million in the same time span. So that's 125 million people. So far only 46% of people as of last Sunday were willing to take it as soon as its offered. Given current population numbers, that's 152 million people. That's pretty close, and assumes no additional doses of either and no other vaccine approvals in the next 6 months.

Yeah, but June is six months from now. You give people 3 months and there isn’t like a new zombie horde, then people will get it. Plus, our COVID positive rate is like 22% right now. We are going to see some bad things in the next three months.

Maybe I‘m just optimistic, but lots of people’s apprehension comes from. . . “It’s so new”. “Only 40k” people have gotten it. In a months time we will have million of Americans who have taken a vaccine. Adverse reactions are going to get a ton of publicity. . . But that is the news cycle these days.

5 days out from vaccine. Arm was most sore POD 1 then nothing else at all.

90-95% of our physicians in Tier 1A1 who were eligible got the vaccine. Only 60-65% of nurses and ancillary staff in the same tier have done so. A little disheartening for frontline healthcare workers. A lot of "well I want to see how everyone else does" nonsense. Doesn't bode well for the general population in south/midwest.

Last edited:
  • Sad

90-95% of our physicians in Tier 1A1 who were eligible got the vaccine. Only 60-65% of nurses and ancillary staff in the same tier have done so. A little disheartening for frontline healthcare workers. A lot of "well I want to see how everyone else does" nonsense. Doesn't bode well for the general population in south/midwest.

Can't fight darwin

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

No one should be shocked by a correlation between education/intelligence and good decisions.

Reactions: 14 users
Got vaccinated. Arm very sore day 1-2. Still not a zombie...unfortunately. :(

• Haha
anecdotally, heard about someone who had covid prior. their FIRST vaccine dose they got similar symptoms as their initial covid run again with fatigue, generalized malaise. i think it's gonna be not uncommon second dose. I chose a post call day to get it...

Nope...do not pertain to the super excited group of individuals that dies to get the vaccine. I trust the vaccine per se as it probably has spent more time than we think in the making, but I think it’s just my stubbornness to comply with the terrible reality that was imposed to us :)

Nope...do not pertain to the super excited group of individuals that dies to get the vaccine. I trust the vaccine per se as it probably has spent more time than we think in the making, but I think it’s just my stubbornness to comply with the terrible reality that was imposed to us :)
Was it a vaccine side effect that made you write like this?

• Haha
I looked into in, the mRNA vaccine combined two existing technologies into one.

The vaccine is NOT the first medication to utilize the lipid nanoparticle coating, granted that the first FDA medication that utilized it is rare and probably hasn't been used in nearly as many patients as this vaccine will be.

mRNAs synthesis is old tech, it's just a pain in the butt to work with.

I guess my only concern would be those with HIV and have reverse transcriptase lying around

• Hmm
I got the pfizer one, will get the booster first week of January.

Was it a vaccine side effect that made you write like this?
No, it is my skepticism regarding what brought the pandemic, how it has unfolded, how my health has been affected by the virus since I got infected, the underground aspects of the real reality that we simple ppl do not know etc. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be obligated to get it at some point but ...whatever.

The studies show most side-effects occur with the SECOND shot of the mRNA based vaccines. I'm curious to see how many of you are going to ignore the fatigue and/or fever associated with the second dose. Will you plan your second dose around your schedule? IMHO, most of you are not prepared for the possibility of side-effects and will assume the second dose is like the first.

I have been vaccinated with an mRNA based Covid 19 shot but am concerned about the second dose and will allot time for some recovery if needed.

Common Side Effects​

The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose, so it is important for vaccination providers and recipients to expect that there may be some side effects after either dose, but even more so after the second dose.

The first dose will not provide complete protection, and it will take about seven days after your second dose before you will achieve a full protective level of immunity that develops in about 95% of vaccine recipients. If you are exposed to SARS-CoV-2 before this time, it is possible that you could develop COVID-19.

The studies show most side-effects occur with the SECOND shot of the mRNA based vaccines. I'm curious to see how many of you are going to ignore the fatigue and/or fever associated with the second dose. Will you plan your second dose around your schedule? IMHO, most of you are not prepared for the possibility of side-effects and will assume the second dose is like the first.

I have been vaccinated with an mRNA based Covid 19 shot but am concerned about the second dose and will allot time for some recovery if needed.

Common Side Effects​

The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose, so it is important for vaccination providers and recipients to expect that there may be some side effects after either dose, but even more so after the second dose.
lol you act like none of us have gone through or are currently going through residency. :p

Common Side Effects​

I had all of those side effects after #1. I’m really scared for #2 since it’s apparently worse. Both were scheduled for Friday afternoon after my shift when I don’t have to be back until Monday.

The first dose will not provide complete protection, and it will take about seven days after your second dose before you will achieve a full protective level of immunity that develops in about 95% of vaccine recipients. If you are exposed to SARS-CoV-2 before this time, it is possible that you could develop COVID-19.
Yeup...now humor me as a crazy irrational conspiracy theorist. What day was the election on this graph? What day were trumps irrational comments predicting availability of the vaccine? What day was statistical significance reached?

1609099849014.png

Also trump: "Without testing, or weak testing, we would be showing almost no cases."
He's in good company - there are a lot of people who think like this. Just this morning, a person on another forum I peruse, who is an otherwise sane human being, wrote this:

I'm in my later 60's, healthy but "think" I may have had "the china flu" late last year. Don't know for certain and DEFINITELY don't want to be tested and become another "reported case" the worthless media uses to "gin up" the hysteria they used the past 9 months.
It's a pretty conservative forum centered around competitive rifle shooting. One of the most amazing things about this year has been the way political affiliation has been so closely tied to whether or not one believes 3000 people per day are actually dying of this disease or if it was just a scam.

Reactions: 6 users
Also trump: "Without testing, or weak testing, we would be showing almost no cases."
Also also trump: "Like a miracle it will go away [by Easter]"

Also also also trump: "We bought a tremendous amount of … hydroxychloroquine"

Also also also also trump: "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"

Also also also also also trump: *ignores all precautions, hires herd immunity dipsht neuroradiologist Scott Atlas, and gets himself infected with COVID along with literally 50 other WH staff*

But sure, let's give him credit for his second one-off vaccine prediction that he pulled straight from his butt, since his first prediction was that it might be out by the election

• Haha
Trump will no longer be President in just a few weeks. I sure hope those on SDN can finally move on to better things. This thread should begin to discuss the mRNA covid vaccines and side-effects along with the reasons the public won't get on board with it. We, as a nation, need 70% compliance to fully open up our economy and get things back to a more normal way of life.

• Love
Long before COVID-19, scientists understood the transmission cycle and immunity of the four other coronaviruses that are very common causes of respiratory infections in humans. Like other respiratory viruses, such as influenza and RSV, immunity to coronaviruses is also very short-lived – up to nine months at the longest. This why these viruses are considered seasonal and we see spikes in cases every year because the “herd” never develops enough immunity.

Thanks to new research from renowned virologists and epidemiologists, we now know that natural immunity to the SARS-CoV-2 virus lasts only three to nine months. The reproductive number for COVID-19 is between 2-3. That means that in order to achieve herd immunity to COVID-19, 70 percent of the population would have be to infected every nine months! In other words, it’s impossible to achieve herd immunity to COVID-19 through widespread
transmission.

Trump will no longer be President in just a few weeks. I sure hope those on SDN can finally move on to better things. This thread should begin to discuss the mRNA covid vaccines and side-effects along with the reasons the public won't get on board with it. We, as a nation, need 70% compliance to fully open up our economy and get things back to a more normal way of life.

Hmm....I dunno....do you think trump (who has not been vaccinated) and his lackeys (who jumped to the front of the line but whose messaging looks like the following) have something to do with it?

I’m not surprised blade that you and 70 something million people would set the house on fire and then just shrug and go “aww shucks guys can’t we just move on?” as we all stare at the ashes. The guy you voted for is about to let a government shutdown occur as we have >9/11 deaths per day in the infancy of the vaccine rollout.

Last edited:
There is good news here. Moderna can "update" its vaccine to Covid every 60 days on the fly. That means mRNA vaccines are fast and adaptable to new strains. We will likely be getting Vaccines against Covid each year or maybe even every 6 months.

Hmm....I dunno....do you think trump (who has not been vaccinated) and his lackeys (who jumped to the front of the line but whose messaging looks like the following) have something to do with it?

I’m not surprised blade that you and 70 something million people would set the house on fire and then just shrug and go “aww shucks guys can’t we just move on?” as we all stare at the ashes. The guy you voted for is about to let a government shutdown occur as we have >9/11 per day in the infancy of the vaccine rollout.

Wrong thread for your TDS. This one is best suited to discuss Covid 19, vaccines and side-effects.

Reactions: 3 users
Wrong thread for your TDS. This one is best suited to discuss Covid 19, vaccines and side-effects.

You asked about some of the reasons the public won’t get on board with the vaccine, I answered. Sorry if the political choices you’ve made and the subsequent reality are inconvenient to you as you go about prescribing, without a shred of irony or self-awareness, what “we, as a nation” need to do to get COVID under control.

Last edited:

It is the stupidity, selfishness and anti-intellectualism that has reigned in our society for the past few decades that caused our current predicament. The republicans have been especially bad with their anti-anything that helps fight covid stance for the entire year. Republican leaders actively hurt efforts to slow the spread by doing things like disparaging masks and publicly insulting top scientists and physicians. Then again, democratic leaders are busy getting their hair done during lockdowns, indoor dining at fancy restaurants and tweeting for people to stay home while they are at the airport. The lack of leadership is appalling as is the unbridled graft at all levels of the government.

Reactions: 5 users