Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's strange that they call it "enrolled," don't you think...

Maybe they just don't want to redo the list later.

I would think a better title woud be "invited."

If it is teh accepted students, the GPA is like a full point or more up from last year...

Hmm...

Members don't see this ad.

I know I agree that it is strange wording, the columns listed are:
Eligible applicants
Enrolled residents
Enrolled Non-residents
Enrolled
It does specify that this is "class of 2013 applicant statistics, 2008-2009 application year"

I guess I just assumed that "enrolled" was what they meant by invited, although I agree that invited would have been more appropriate.

so what were the stats in the eligible column?

Members don't see this ad :)
Eligible Applicants:
GRE
Q 654
V 509
A 4.2

GPA
Undergrad 3.40
Required courses 3.40
Last 30 Credits 3.50

I think this would be the average for everyone that applied that met the criteria for the application, since there was only 1 ineligible applicant.

If it is teh accepted students, the GPA is like a full point or more up from last year...

Hmm...

I'm hoping that posting this gives people "hope," which is why I'm posting...

I was accepted as OOS. I personally feel that it was my essays that got me in. In terms of GRE and GPA, I think I'm competitive but definitely not a shoe-in. For example, I got rejected from Cornell, CSU, and Univ. MN. I really feel that the application format for Univ. Wisc. gave me the opportunity to express my interests, experience and who I am better than any other application I filled out. Plus, it wasn't due until Dec. 17th, so by then I had practiced my essay-writing quite a bit.

It just makes me feel good to be considered as a whole person rather than just a number, and I am excited about going to a school like that.

(Littlelisa, I'm sorry they didn't accept you out-right, but chin-up, it sounds like your odds are quite good. I know the waiting is the worst part, though...)

It also has a sections "colleges where most credits were earned" and lists enrolled residents and enrolled non-residents. when i total the numbers it adds up to 59 IS and 23 OOS = 82 total enrolled. that would make up the whole class. I'm not going to type up all the schools listed, but there's only one enrolled person per OOS school, so if you want to know if your school is on there, let me know what it is and I'll tell you. I guess I would assume if you're the only person at your school that applied to Wisconsin, and your schools on there, hopefully you have an acceptance letter coming in the mail!

It also has a sections "colleges where most credits were earned" and lists enrolled residents and enrolled non-residents. when i total the numbers it adds up to 59 IS and 23 OOS = 82 total enrolled. that would make up the whole class. I'm not going to type up all the schools listed, but there's only one enrolled person per OOS school, so if you want to know if your school is on there, let me know what it is and I'll tell you. I guess I would assume if you're the only person at your school that applied to Wisconsin, and your schools on there, hopefully you have an acceptance letter coming in the mail!

Great detective works, Littlelisa. That's so nice of you!

Not relevant to the info at hand, just wanted to say that you're a superstar, littlelisa. Seriously.

(Littlelisa, I'm sorry they didn't accept you out-right, but chin-up, it sounds like your odds are quite good. I know the waiting is the worst part, though...)

Thanks for the optimism, but you've got that right, I'm sick of waiting. But congrats on your acceptance! :claps:Are you planning on accepting your offer? You are sooooooo lucky!!

Thanks for the optimism, but you've got that right, I'm sick of waiting. But congrats on your acceptance! :claps:Are you planning on accepting your offer? You are sooooooo lucky!!

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't accept - I'm 99.9% sure I will. Thanks for being happy for me - you have a big heart <3.

And you are right, I think a big part of it is luck. I think I was lucky to have someone read my essay that liked it (I could have easily gotten someone else who didn't), but it really is a crap shoot unless you are somebody with 1600 GRE and 4.0 GPA...

For those of you that got letter already -- was there any info on financial aid in there? Or is that an open house thing?

...of all the weekends to be out of town...

Sigh. Maybe I can get a friend to get my mail for me...or at least to look at the envelope!

Members don't see this ad :)
littlelisa you are awesome, thanks! so either rejection or waitlist for me, im only considering it a rejection, i cant take another disappointment haha. man i was supposed to be studying for my physio exam on monday, looks like its time to curl up with some icecream and my cat! best luck to everyone still waiting and to those who have been waitlisted and congrats to the accecpted ones!!

I did not mean to be the bearer of bad news. stupid detective skills, I should not have analyzed these statistics in so much depth. stay positive, you haven't heard anything official yet.

no im sorry i didnt mean to make you feel bad! haha im just being dramatic and ungracious, we are all dying to know any info we can get and my stupid mail just came and there was nothing from UW but there was something from parade cruise for tori amos...maybe i should look into that :)

MAIL CAME! I GOT IN!!!!!

Whew. I ran to the store, through the snow, and when I was a block away from home saw the mailman stepping up to our porch. I think I freaked him out a bit sprinting through a foot of snow, then shrieking at the top of my lungs when I ripped it open. . .

Came in a 8.5 x 11 manila envelope.

MAIL CAME! I GOT IN!!!!!

Whew. I ran to the store, through the snow, and when I was a block away from home saw the mailman stepping up to our porch. I think I freaked him out a bit sprinting through a foot of snow, then shrieking at the top of my lungs when I ripped it open. . .

CONGRATS!!!! :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

I want to see if my school is on the "list" but I'm scared... :ninja:

I want to see if my school is on the "list" but I'm scared... :ninja:

If you want to pm me, go ahead. I have a copy as well.

But - the list of OOS schools seems to only be acceptances - and I think they chew through the OOS waitlist much more than the IS.

If you want to pm me, go ahead. I have a copy as well.

But - the list of OOS schools seems to only be acceptances - and I think they chew through the OOS waitlist much more than the IS.

If it's like last year, they actually only accept the # of OOS students that would fill their class. Everyone else goes on a waitlist and the accept off the waitlist whenever an OOS student that was offered a spot declines it. I know this sounds weird, but I remember it specifically from last year because they emphasized to us that we really needed to let them know ASAP if we knew we would decline the offer.

MAIL CAME! I GOT IN!!!!!

CONGRATS!:clap:

I read your post and laughed so hard i cried! I had the visual clear as a bell and got so tickled by the thought that must have been going through that mailman's mind :lol:

thanks for the laugh, i needed it. And just why were you running to the store in a foot of snow???:confused:

MAIL CAME! I GOT IN!!!!!

OMG I'm sooooo happy for you :soexcited:but since I'm on the waitlist I must know....are you planning on accepting? You got into Tufts right?

Wow, you must really rock

Congratulations DVMorbust! I had no doubt that you would get in! :p

So I'm curious too do u know where u r going? They're both excellent schools! :)

congrats to all who got in!!!!!

does anybody know how many OOS applied this year? thanks!

does anybody know how many OOS applied this year? thanks!

also info included on the stats page:

IS applicants 187
OOS applicants 941
total applicants 1128

that seems much higher than last year huh?

littlelisa - I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to go. My husband's words were: "Uh oh. I've seen you try to decide on a toothbrush. Now you have to pick a vet school?"

Flyhi - I was going to the store to stop watching the mailbox and distract myself while picking up some food. And I was on foot because I didn't want to dig my driveway out.

Man. I'm still jittery - although less so now that I've had a couple beers :)

littlelisa - I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to go. My husband's words were: "Uh oh. I've seen you try to decide on a toothbrush. Now you have to pick a vet school?"

Well that's awesome that you have options, now you better be letting us all know as soon as you decide. No pressure though. I assume you will be attending the open house? And not making any decisions too soon, like picking a new toothbrush. I'm so jealous of you, in the best possible way, good luck with your decision!

Flyhi - I was going to the store to stop watching the mailbox and distract myself while picking up some food. And I was on foot because I didn't want to dig my driveway out.
LOL...makes sense.

I still can just see you start to run from so far away the mailman sees this little dot in the distance and watches as he realizes the Michelin Woman (surely you have your ski apparel on) is running full steam ahead in a foot of snow (which is not even possible, so it's in slow mo and the music from Chariots of Fire is playing) legs having to go out to the side instead of inline because of the height of the snow (making you look like Forrest Gump running down his driveway) with your hat on and scarf blowing in the wind (of course you must wear these in such a cold environment!) screaming something that is completely unintelligible (is this a word?), but it's all in slow mo, so he can't understand a word you are saying and furthermore, he is terrified that some crazy lady is after his mailbag (going 'postal' doesn't have to mean it happens at the US Post Office)...and all he can think is how badly he just wants to get out of your way. :laugh:

Then, you open said mail and scream bloody murder and he is relieved he is not within striking distance.

I really wish we had video of this......hahahaha

LOL...makes sense.

I still can just see you start to run from so far away the mailman sees this little dot in the distance and watches as he realizes the Michelin Woman (surely you have your ski apparel on) is running full steam ahead in a foot of snow (which is not even possible, so it's in slow mo and the music from Chariots of Fire is playing) legs having to go out to the side instead of inline because of the height of the snow (making you look like Forrest Gump running down his driveway) with your hat on and scarf blowing in the wind (of course you must wear these in such a cold environment!) screaming something that is completely unintelligible (is this a word?), but it's all in slow mo, so he can't understand a word you are saying and furthermore, he is terrified that some crazy lady is after his mailbag (going 'postal' doesn't have to mean it happens at the US Post Office)...and all he can think is how badly he just wants to get out of your way. :laugh:

Then, you open said mail and scream bloody murder and he is relieved he is not within striking distance.

I really wish we had video of this......hahahaha

That's...actually a frighteningly accurate depiction. Just toss in a couple of those 'hit ice and windmill for a bit in a giant explosion of powdery snow before feet find purchase again' and it's perfect. And it was a different guy than usual, too - there were a few covering the route because everything was running late - so I'd never seen him before in my life. But he had my mail! I can't imagine what the break room at the post office was like this afternoon...

I thought I had finally reached a Zen state about hearing from schools, but now that I see people are getting letters I'm back to pulling my hair out, this is going to be a tense couple of months.:eek:

Congrats on all those who got acceptances! I'm excited for all of you!

Hi everyone!

I'm totally new to this forum but I thought I'd post and say hi and that I got my acceptance letter in the mail today too! My dad and I were actually driving back from Minnesota where I interviewed yesterday when my mom called (mail goes to their house) and said there was a big envelope from Wisconsin!! I screamed for about a minute into the phone and got lots of strange looks from people in the parking lot (we were at Culvers-yum)...still waiting to hear from Minnesota but I will most likely end up at Wisconsin. :)

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

So, open my thicker business sized envelope today. Alternate #3! Ugh it's so close I can practically taste it! Do you think there is any chance that 3 IS people won't decline? I hope not. Also, does anyone know when they will start calling people to tell them whether they are off the waitlist?

Man! I miss Culvers...

Congratulations on your acceptance!
Hi everyone!

I'm totally new to this forum but I thought I'd post and say hi and that I got my acceptance letter in the mail today too! My dad and I were actually driving back from Minnesota where I interviewed yesterday when my mom called (mail goes to their house) and said there was a big envelope from Wisconsin!! I screamed for about a minute into the phone and got lots of strange looks from people in the parking lot (we were at Culvers-yum)...still waiting to hear from Minnesota but I will most likely end up at Wisconsin. :)

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

I spoke to Dr Henrikson from Wisconsin, who is very engaging and cool btw, and he said that there are still several OOS accepted students to be contacted yet. So, there's still hope and just keep an eye out for those envelopes.

It wont be me....Got my rejection letter in the mail today...That makes 5/6. Welp, if nothing else, Im consistant. :rolleyes:

Don't worry LVT2DVM. I am headed in the same path. 6 applications and so far I have 3 definite rejections, and I got waitlisted at Iowa. My last two are Wisconsin and Penn, which I don't exactly have high hopes for. So I am right there with you :) But don't give up!!!

It wont be me....Got my rejection letter in the mail today...That makes 5/6. Welp, if nothing else, Im consistant. :rolleyes:

No joy for me either. Its 2/4 so far. The others are going to be a wait.

an other rejection here... well if zoonose is in waitlist, it makes sense that I get a rejection... so I don't worry about it much.. I had 9/12 rejections.. 1 acceptance, 2 more to go..

look on the bright side! you got an acceptance! :) yay!! im getting waitlisted everywhere..

The put at least 132 OSS people on the WL and I still got a rejection......Could someone give me a mirror so I can see the big black L on my forehead. :laugh:

Last edited:
I got in :) I didn't think I would since I had been rejected from a bazillion other places, but yay. :)

OK, so just to be clear because this seems to be a strange (but I am still so very thankful for the opportunity!) way to do things, they call you first, before any written communication or e-mail right? I have yet to recieve either of the latter.
I got a call at like 7:30pm my time (8:30pm WI time) on 2/17. I was so shocked and blown away that I really did not know what to say or ask -- I was a blithering idiot, I am sure the poor man thought I was drunk! My hand was shaking so badly that to this day I cannot read the name nor most of the phone number of the pathology professor who called me as I tried to write it down. If anyone else knows who it was or the number please let me know:p.
I rode my bike home from campus (Colo State) chanting feverishly "Oh my god, Oh my god". I actually had to call the admissions office the next morning, where I was transferred to talk to Dr. Maki personally, who assured me that yes she had heard from the poor man and yes I was accepted. I still will not consider it really true until I see it in black and white and can hold the letter in my hot little hands.
Anyhow, now that you know what a real dork, like the rest of us, I am, I eagerly awaiting that manila envelope in the mail. Please, please do not let this be an evil sadistic dream.
So, for those who asked what each of our academic profiles were:
3.4 undergrad GPA
4.0 graduate GPA (1 semester of a 2 semester MS program in biomedical science)
Past 30 credit GPA 3.91
Past 45 credit GPA 3.77
GRE scores: Verbal: 630 Quantitative: 700 Writing: 4.5
Kai Howell (hopefully UWI class of 2013)

well if zoonose is in waitlist, it makes sense that I get a rejection...

Oh hush! :(

The stats that were included in the letter were crazy for OOS. 12 accepted females out of, hm, one billion? We're talking genius territory here. Much congrats to you lucky 12!! And, of course, the remaining OOS dudes who got in, too!

Hey, I think we had the same pathology professor call us. I will PM you his information after I find it! Congratulations!!!

Waitlisted # 13 OOS. My letter says that historically they usually accept between 20 and 85 so there is hope for a lot of us on the waitlist!

Does anyone know if they have an open house to see the school and if the alternatives are invited?

I just received my rejection letter in the mail today.:(

The open house is on April 3rd if I recall correctly. I do not know about wait listers, but I feel your pain. I have a friend who was wait listed last year at CSU, that was the longest 52 days of both of our lives it seemed. A daily battle, and she was only #8 on the list. We were plotting the disapearance of several people. :idea: Of course this was Colorado State, and it was an in-state slot. Not many people turn down CSU, in-state or out of state. Good luck!