Withdrawing Applications

Started by The Ween
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Ween

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As we receive acceptances, is it expected that we re-evaluate the schools which we have yet to hear from and withdraw from the less desirable ones? I received an acceptance recently and I know I would probably choose it over some other schools at which I haven't even interviewed. Should I be withdrawing some of these applications? What are others doing?
 
It's entirely up to you. I think one of the AAMC recommendations is that students hold no more than two acceptances at a time.

If you've been accepted to a school that you'd rather go to over schools which haven't even interviewed you, you might want to withdraw your application. The primary reason is you save a bundle on traveling and other interview-associated expenses. The other might be that some other deserving applicant will get a chance to interview.

Unless you want that ego-boost...
smile.gif



Tim of New York City.
 
I suppose it is an ego boost with each interview request I receive, but I do not want to be so selfish as to delay someone else's application because of it. I guess my fear is only that I will withdraw from a school and then regret it later. I guess that's silly. I have been only holding one acceptance at a time though. Thanks for your response.