Withdrawing in Undergrad Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGator21

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here!
So basically I'm a freshman (in my second semester) at the best university in my state so it's fairly challenging and I'm still adjusting. My first summer semester I took statistics and intro to Chem and got a B+ in both when I could've done way better if I had put in more effort. Now I'm taking Chem 1 and Calc 1 and I'm having the same struggle. I think I can end up with a B+ or a B in Chem if I really step it up, however in Calc 1 I think I'd be lucky if I ended with a C. It might also be important to note I got my AA before entering through dual enrollment (I still plan to do 4 years here) and I took some math and science there which will really boost my sGPA. I got mostly A's with 2 B's on like 4 sciences (bio 1 and 2 which I plan to retake here to be competive and 3 maths like pre calc and trig) . But anyway I'm really considering dropping calc which absolutely kills me because I've read a lot of posts of people saying it look awful to med schools and they grill you in interviews and it'll really decrease my chances. I really want to improve and retake it at my best next semester and get an A, I'm just so scared of taking the W. How badly do you guys think it'll affect my chances? Any advice or is there anyone who can relate? I'd seriously appreciate any feedback cause I'm really freaking out. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously W's aren't great, but one W isn't the end of the world. I say take the W and save as much of your GPA as you can.

On that note, keep working with your medications. Your GPA is crucial and believe me I know firsthand what you're saying with your symptoms, but that really needs to be in check and Cs aren't great. You've got this!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
okay, that's helps calms me down a bit. Thanks so much for the positive advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously W's aren't great, but one W isn't the end of the world. I say take the W and save as much of your GPA as you can.

On that note, keep working with your medications. Your GPA is crucial and believe me I know firsthand what you're saying with your symptoms, but that really needs to be in check and Cs aren't great. You've got this!

What would you say about two Ws first semester of freshman year? (Chem I/Calc II) One more W (stats) during the spring. Chem I was a C the next semester, Chem II was a C over the summer. Stats yet to be retaken.

My advisor said my chances are basically shot, and that it's an uphill battle for a slim chance because they were math/science, and retake for Chem I was a C.

What would you say about two Ws first semester of freshman year? (Chem I/Calc II) One more W (stats) during the spring. Chem I was a C the next semester, Chem II was a C over the summer. Stats yet to be retaken.

My advisor said my chances are basically shot, and that it's an uphill battle for a slim chance because they were math/science, and retake for Chem I was a C.

I have 5 Ws and 7 Cs (mostly C+s) on my transcripts.. 3 interviews so far and one acceptance.

It may be an uphill battle, but a few Cs won't keep you out of med school if you're an otherwise solid applicant.