This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joescott345

Reaction score
Hi all, here is my story. I graduated from undergrad 2 years ago with a 3.59 overall and 3.29 BCPM. Have great clinical experience and decent volunteer experience. Worked in a microbio research lab for a gap year and attended an SMP program the year after that to solidify my chances and possibly get into a better school (I have/had aspirations to get into a selective clinical research field). I also wanted to be at home during that time to help out my family. Have not taken the MCAT.

So, my problem is that I had to withdraw from the SMP program in late October 2017 due to a cocktail of issues. My father lost his job, so paying for the program was an issue. My mother was dealing with some mental health issues which is part of the reason why I decided to stay home for the last year. The most damaging thing was that I was between medications, trying SSRIs and SNRIs to resolve issues with anxiety/depression. Both of those medications made it nearly impossible for me to focus on anything. The SNRI also raised my anxiety levels.

Since then, I decided to focus solely on fixing my mental health and family situation. I have resolved my issues (no medication, talking to my mom rather than a therapist, lifestyle changes) and have been studying for the MCAT. Hopefully taking it next month if I feel ready - looking at around 515-518 based on practice tests. My dad now has a job, and my family has stabilized.

Are my chances at MD completely out the window due to this withdrawal? My advisor from the program recommended I simply take the MCAT and apply when I was withdrawing. I am re-applying to the program and trying to decide if I want to try again. I feel fully confident that I can perform well in the program now that I can study properly, but should I send in an MD application this cycle around September? I know that is late in the cycle.

Please don't harass me for what happened. I already am ashamed of my lack of performance. Appreciate any advice or help.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any grades with the SMP? Your GPA is low obviously, but you could post your ECs for a better impression of your situation. I think its also likely that you will need to explain what you have been for 2 years post graduation to improve your app.

Do you have any grades with the SMP? Your GPA is low obviously, but you could post your ECs for a better impression of your situation. I think its also likely that you will need to explain what you have been for 2 years post graduation to improve your app.

No, I withdrew from the program completely during the first semester. I definitely plan to touch on my reasons for my gap years on my app. The research was to explore that side of medicine, and the SMP was like I said to be with family and improve my application. The past three years have pushed me towards clinical research of anxiety/depression/PTSD. It's important to me to be treat patients and leave a lasting impact or innovation through research. Don't want people to go through what I have anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you have research . What about shadowing, clinical experience and non clinical e perience? Do you have 150 + hours of clinical and non clinical work and around50 hours of shadowing, including a chink with a primary care doc? Do you have your LORs all set to go? You are studying for the MCAT so unless you have your primary application pretty well started I really doubt you’ll have time to do a great job on the application itself.

Yea you def should wait until next cycle.

Any chance of getting reinstated in the program? That will probably be your best chance at salvaging the situation. I don't know what program you were at but basically you attempted to take the first year of med school, couldn't handle it and withdrew. Getting back in and finishing it is probably going to be your best bet in terms of alleviating fears of your academic capabilities.

And time. Time is sometimes the only thing that can show that previous issues have been resolved and <1 year is just too short. Adcoms are going to wonder if the same issues that forced you to withdraw are going to happen again once the honeymoon is over. And things like your father losing his job (why didn't you take out loans?), mother's health (are you going to be needing time off in med school/residency too?), your health (why did you not wait until you were stable to start?) are going to bring up further questions of independence, planning, etc.

So you have research . What about shadowing, clinical experience and non clinical e perience? Do you have 150 + hours of clinical and non clinical work and around50 hours of shadowing, including a chink with a primary care doc? Do you have your LORs all set to go? You are studying for the MCAT so unless you have your primary application pretty well started I really doubt you’ll have time to do a great job on the application itself.

I have about 200 hours between 2 primary care docs, EMT training, volunteering in a clinical setting, leadership in a service fraternity, at least 100 other volunteer hours (need to double check that). Have 4 LORs ready, 2 professors, 1 lab supervisor, 1 physician. My university letter is ready to go and I have a personal statement ready.

I am definitely leaning towards doing the SMP program again and waiting to apply next cycle. However, if my MCAT is stellar I might be tempted to put in my app in September.

Any chance of getting reinstated in the program? That will probably be your best chance at salvaging the situation. I don't know what program you were at but basically you attempted to take the first year of med school, couldn't handle it and withdrew. Getting back in and finishing it is probably going to be your best bet in terms of alleviating fears of your academic capabilities.

And time. Time is sometimes the only thing that can show that previous issues have been resolved and <1 year is just too short. Adcoms are going to wonder if the same issues that forced you to withdraw are going to happen again once the honeymoon is over. And things like your father losing his job (why didn't you take out loans?), mother's health (are you going to be needing time off in med school/residency too?), your health (why did you not wait until you were stable to start?) are going to bring up further questions of independence, planning, etc.

Yes, I can definitely reapply to the program and am in the process of doing so. Just haven't hit the send button. I was thinking that a good MCAT might be enough to prove I have improved, but I think you are right that more time and redemption is needed.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I wanted to get outside opinions on this as everyone around me is encouraging me to apply.

How far along are you with MCAT prep? Have you done any practice tests?

How far along are you with MCAT prep? Have you done any practice tests?

More than one month in, done two practice tests. One 514 and the other 518.

@smukke As to why I thought SMP would be okay, I was very stable on an SSRI for about 8 months with some nagging side effects. The first couple months, I did well, A's on almost every exam. Told my doctor about the side effects during a check up and he pressed me to try an SNRI. Against my better judgement, I listened. That's what lead to disaster. Let this be a caution not to get experimental during critical times.... I knew better too, but convinced myself that the doctor must be right.

My mother is fine now as my parents live separately. As for the loans, I definitely should have taken them on my name and I will in the future. Not so much a reason that I withdrew but a concern at the time.

More than one month in, done two practice tests. One 514 and the other 518.

@smukke As to why I thought SMP would be okay, I was very stable on an SSRI for about 8 months with some nagging side effects. The first couple months, I did well, A's on almost every exam. Told my doctor about the side effects during a check up and he pressed me to try an SNRI. Against my better judgement, I listened. That's what lead to disaster. Let this be a caution not to get experimental during critical times.... I knew better too, but convinced myself that the doctor must be right.

My mother is fine now as my parents live separately. As for the loans, I definitely should have taken them on my name and I will in the future. Not so much a reason that I withdrew but a concern at the time.

Nice scores! And only one month of studying? What practice tests did you use?

Nice scores! And only one month of studying? What practice tests did you use?

Thank you! The 514 was on Kaplan and the 518 on AAMC. I've been studying at least 8 hours a day, so happy to see results. EDIT: It has been more like a month an a half, so focusing on critical thinking/practice questions right now.

Hi all, here is my story. I graduated from undergrad 2 years ago with a 3.59 overall and 3.29 BCPM. Have great clinical experience and decent volunteer experience. Worked in a microbio research lab for a gap year and attended an SMP program the year after that to solidify my chances and possibly get into a better school (I have/had aspirations to get into a selective clinical research field). I also wanted to be at home during that time to help out my family. Have not taken the MCAT.

So, my problem is that I had to withdraw from the SMP program in late October 2017 due to a cocktail of issues. My father lost his job, so paying for the program was an issue. My mother was dealing with some mental health issues which is part of the reason why I decided to stay home for the last year. The most damaging thing was that I was between medications, trying SSRIs and SNRIs to resolve issues with anxiety/depression. Both of those medications made it nearly impossible for me to focus on anything. The SNRI also raised my anxiety levels.

Since then, I decided to focus solely on fixing my mental health and family situation. I have resolved my issues (no medication, talking to my mom rather than a therapist, lifestyle changes) and have been studying for the MCAT. Hopefully taking it next month if I feel ready - looking at around 515-518 based on practice tests. My dad now has a job, and my family has stabilized.

Are my chances at MD completely out the window due to this withdrawal? My advisor from the program recommended I simply take the MCAT and apply when I was withdrawing. I am re-applying to the program and trying to decide if I want to try again. I feel fully confident that I can perform well in the program now that I can study properly, but should I send in an MD application this cycle around September? I know that is late in the cycle.

Please don't harass me for what happened. I already am ashamed of my lack of performance. Appreciate any advice or help.
You need to start over, but you have to get your mental health issues under 100% control first.

I'd say with that MCAT you're fine for DO.

Reactions: 1 user