Working at two different research labs at once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineedmd56

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question and a dumb decision, but how is this viewed? I feel that this may be a red flag? The different topics these labs investigate are equally interesting. Both are clinical research, if that matters. I am aware that both labs may have overlapping commitments, but if that is resolved should I do both? Just looking for advice.

Edit: grammar

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be more beneficial to focus your time and effort into one area of research in order to fully understand it and ultimately be more involved.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb question and a dumb decision, but how is this viewed? I feel that this may be a red flag? The different topics these labs investigate are equally interesting. Both are clinical research, if that matters. I am aware that both labs may have overlapping commitments, but if that is resolved should I do both? Just looking for advice.

Edit: grammar
I did two labs simultaneously for about a year. I am glad I did it as I discovered that I really did not like one of the two labs and thus left it in order to dedicate more time and effort towards the other. However, it did come at a detriment to the work I performed in the lab I eventually left. I would not have done this if they were both wet labs, however the one I left was computational and thus easy to pick up by someone else. Were I you, I would evaluate your situation and see which works best. One lab is probably preferred, however two is manageable if you play your cards right.

I feel that this may be a red flag? The different topics these labs investigate are equally interesting. Both are clinical research, if that matters. I am aware that both labs may have overlapping commitments, but if that is resolved should I do both? Just looking for advice.
Pick one. Be sure it is flexible enough to give you decreased hours during midterms and finals week.

How many classes are you planning to take? You need to make sure you can balance class work and other ECs in addition to research. My son (raising junior) is also planning to start working in a second lab (Ortho) starting in fall. He is with the first lab since fall of freshman year and hoping to publish soon. His current research is computational and he may cut back on that and focus on Ortho. I advised him to stick to one lab but he didn't listen.

Dont work in two research labs at once. Strongly advise against. It is more important to invest as much time as you are able into a single lab, particularly into the relationship with your PI/mentor than to have a ton of different experiences on your resume.

Reactions: 1 users