Worried about DAT QR!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted768895

Hi guys,
i was hoping i could have some advice/motivation??
I am really struggling with the QR section of the DAT! Maths has always been a subject i was good at, im not one of the genius maths people, but definitely not bad either! So it came to a shock after taking the BC test 1, i only got a 16 :(. I went through the solutions thoroughly and thought i understood it but i took test 2 and still scored at 16 - no improvements! I know its still early in the process and ive still got a lot of math destroyer and BC tests to take, but the timing on the BC tests is what i struggle with most! I just cannot tackle the tough problems in about 1minute, if i struggle in my home comforts, im worried it'll only be worse on the day - I dont want QR bringing my AA down. Maybe im being negative but i currently cannot see how lots and lots of studying for QR will bring my score up drastically, i would at least like a 20..

Any advice? anyone else been in a similar situation??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I am really struggling with the QR section of the DAT! Maths has always been a subject i was good at, im not one of the genius maths people, but definitely not bad either! So it came to a shock after taking the BC test 1, i only got a 16 :(. I went through the solutions thoroughly and thought i understood it but i took test 2 and still scored at 16 - no improvements! I know its still early in the process and ive still got a lot of math destroyer and BC tests to take, but the timing on the BC tests is what i struggle with most! I just cannot tackle the tough problems in about 1minute, if i struggle in my home comforts, im worried it'll only be worse on the day - I dont want QR bringing my AA down. Maybe im being negative but i currently cannot see how lots and lots of studying for QR will bring my score up drastically, i would at least like a 20..

Before doing timed tests, I recommend gaining a solid foundation in problem solving first. How can you work the problems quickly, if you don't know the right approach? If you have access to Chad's videos, his QR videos give a good review of some basic stuff and how to quickly solve problems. If you have DAT or Math Destroyer, I have found it to be excellent in finding time saving tips to solve problems. DAT Bootcamp also has a Khan Academy playlist on Youtube that has some very helpful videos. Get a good foundation first. Then, work timing in last. Good luck to you.

Before doing timed tests, I recommend gaining a solid foundation in problem solving first. How can you work the problems quickly, if you don't know the right approach? If you have access to Chad's videos, his QR videos give a good review of some basic stuff and how to quickly solve problems. If you have DAT or Math Destroyer, I have found it to be excellent in finding time saving tips to solve problems. DAT Bootcamp also has a Khan Academy playlist on Youtube that has some very helpful videos. Get a good foundation first. Then, work timing in last. Good luck to you.
Thanks for your advice! I did go through all of Chads QR videos and they were definitely helpful. I do also have the Math Destroyer, and ive only completed 3 tests, so I guess i should keep going through those and hopefully i'll improve!

Hi guys,

Omg. This was literally my exact situation. haha! Keeeeeep going through the bootcamp problems and I promise they will start to stick! Time was my biggest issue and it's ultimately what made me score an 18 on the DAT QR.... BUT after my disastrous 2009 QR score I was happy about it. I spent the last few days solely on QR (14 hours a day) and I saw a dramatic improvement!!!!! Keep working! It's amazing what a couple of days can do! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg. This was literally my exact situation. haha! Keeeeeep going through the bootcamp problems and I promise they will start to stick! Time was my biggest issue and it's ultimately what made me score an 18 on the DAT QR.... BUT after my disastrous 2009 QR score I was happy about it. I spent the last few days solely on QR (14 hours a day) and I saw a dramatic improvement!!!!! Keep working! It's amazing what a couple of days can do! :)
Thank you for the reassurance!!! :) Ill will stick at it! Did you do the Math destroyer?

Thank you for the reassurance!!! :) Ill will stick at it! Did you do the Math destroyer?

I did! I didn't do it timed though! And toward the end I skipped the trig questions since I heard it's not a big component of the QR anymore. It is still on there but not near as much! I didn't have any trig questions on my DAT

I did! I didn't do it timed though! And toward the end I skipped the trig questions since I heard it's not a big component of the QR anymore. It is still on there but not near as much! I didn't have any trig questions on my DAT
Yeah i can most definitely not doing it timed either! It literally takes me like 3 hours to do one test....

just keep practicing and keep your head up. On the real exam, QR is not difficult at all. Destroyer and BC will definitely help you speed up on even the most complex problems. One suggestion I have is to do a lot of the quantitative comparison problems and prob/stat questions

just keep practicing and keep your head up. On the real exam, QR is not difficult at all. Destroyer and BC will definitely help you speed up on even the most complex problems. One suggestion I have is to do a lot of the quantitative comparison problems and prob/stat questions
Thank you, I yeah I have started looking more at the quantitative comparison questions and probability. Ive read a mixed range of opinions about the difficulty of the real DAT QR as opposed to the BC/or destroyer. Some say its easier some say harder. Honestly if i had more time i would be ok, i eventually figure out the problems, but the time constraint is something i really need to work on

DBC math is harder than on the real DAT. try to aim to score 18-19s on DBC QR and you will get a 20+ on the real deal

What's anyone's advice on probability? For some reason I can't get these questions :/ Also how large of a component is probability on the QR?

What's anyone's advice on probability? For some reason I can't get these questions :/ Also how large of a component is probability on the QR?
It depends on your exam. I used to not do well on them, but after working the same problems over and over and over I started to notice a pattern. Understanding probability questions has a lot to do with the way a question is worded.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your exam. I used to not do well on them, but after working the same problems over and over and over I started to notice a pattern. Understanding probability questions has a lot to do with the way a question is worded.

Were the practice problems you did from Math Destroyer?

Were the practice problems you did from Math Destroyer?
For your first question, probability is just practice and understanding what the question is asking, as @Pearl E. White stated. As for practice, work through all the tests of Math Destroyer, they have tons of practice problems related to probability (maybe skip test 12 as even I felt that was really hard/more focused on statistics- don't skip skip it, just don't time yourself on it and work through every problem). Maybe even look at Khan Academy to understand how to approach them. Hope this helps! :)

It just depends on the version. A student I spoke with a day or 2 ago had a lot of probability and statistics, with only a few of the new type QC problems and he also had some trig and geometry. If I talk to someone else today the experience may be a different one. It is truly the luck of the draw, the only way to assure you get the best score possible it to prepare for all the many possibilities.. Not just in the QR but on the DAT in general.

Nancy

When are you taking the DAT?
Im taking it on the 29th. Originally I was taking it on the 17th but I pushed it back to allow more time to strengthen some areas (aka QR). Im trying to do a Math destroyer test everyday. I think this is enough time, given I am dedicating all my time to DAT studying

Last edited by a moderator:
I scored 18-19 on bootcamp qr and did math destroyer tests 1-10. I scored a 22 on the qr. If you can get to an 18-19 in bootcamp or destroyer youll be fine.

I scored 18-19 on bootcamp qr and did math destroyer tests 1-10. I scored a 22 on the qr. If you can get to an 18-19 in bootcamp or destroyer youll be fine.
thats fantastic! I would be SO happy if I could get a 22, well done! How did you find the timing? Did you find your speed improved as you progressed through the BC tests?

thats fantastic! I would be SO happy if I could get a 22, well done! How did you find the timing? Did you find your speed improved as you progressed through the BC tests?
I think destroyer improved my timing the most. I was able to finish most bc math tests while making guesses. I do feel that both sources are harder than real fat but essential. I believe bc and destroyer offer medium and hard leveldifficulty questions where the real day offers easy,medium and hard levels of difficulty.

I think destroyer improved my timing the most. I was able to finish most bc math tests while making guesses. I do feel that both sources are harder than real fat but essential. I believe bc and destroyer offer medium and hard leveldifficulty questions where the real day offers easy,medium and hard levels of difficulty.
Ok, that's good to know , thank you! I probably struggle with timing most which means I haven't yet caught onto the good strategies of quick solving

I took the DAT today. I was also really worried about QR because I always ran out of time on practice tests and my highest score on BC was an 18. I used math destroyer a bit also and thought it helped with timing. While I was taking the test today I really tried to stay disciplined and take an educated guess and mark a question if I didn't immediately know how to solve it (especially the quant comparison questions) and I ended up with ~5 minutes to go back to marked questions and a 24 on QR.

I took the DAT today. I was also really worried about QR because I always ran out of time on practice tests and my highest score on BC was an 18. I used math destroyer a bit also and thought it helped with timing. While I was taking the test today I really tried to stay disciplined and take an educated guess and mark a question if I didn't immediately know how to solve it (especially the quant comparison questions) and I ended up with ~5 minutes to go back to marked questions and a 24 on QR.

how did it go overall?

how did it go overall?
I thought difficulty wise it was similar or easier than Destroyer and BC for the sciences (a couple of my questions came straight out of Destroyer), and I thought QR had some hard questions but overall was easier than BC/Destroyer, probly closer to TopScore. I think the main thing I found is the real test seemed to be scored easier than what I would expect from a BC practice test. Overall I got- PAT 25/QR 24/RC 23/Bio 24/GC 24/OC 21/TS 23/AA 23

Reactions: 3 users
omg 24!! well done thats soo amazing!!
Thanks! and as I said, that is MUCH better than I did on any practice tests, so I wouldn't read into those scores too much. Timing on QR was my biggest problem too even up until I took the test today, but I worked on it with math destroyer which helped with the harder problems, and during the test with adrenaline pumping I was disciplined enough to mark questions and move on to get all the easy points I could before time ran out and it worked out for me. Best of luck!

Omg congrats!!! What did you think about RC? How was it compared to Bootcamp?
Thanks! and as I said, that is MUCH better than I did on any practice tests, so I wouldn't read into those scores too much. Timing on QR was my biggest problem too even up until I took the test today, but I worked on it with math destroyer which helped with the harder problems, and during the test with adrenaline pumping I was disciplined enough to mark questions and move on to get all the easy points I could before time ran out and it worked out for me. Best of luck!
co

Omg congrats!!! What did you think about RC? How was it compared to Bootcamp?

RC was a bit of a mix for me, two of my passages were pretty straightforward factual like just having to find the sentence and they were pretty much in sequential order. My third passage was terrible and took the majority of my time, with the questions more closely resembling the tougher BC questions of comparing the "statement" and "reason" and more inference and that sort of thing. For my version of the test at least, I thought Bootcamp prepared me well for RC and the real thing overall wasn't as bad as the BC practice tests.

You've given me so much hope

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone took the dat recently and can provide insight .. can’t seem to get over a 18 on Bc in all subjects besides reading