This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashxxch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made a thread like this one before but I just need to know for a peace of mind.

I am a biology major and a fine arts minor
I am a junior and will be getting ready to submit my application for med school in about a year.
I went to a private liberal arts college for 2 years and I am transferring out with a 3.41 (3.32 without the grade replacement, which was one C replaced with a B plus). I am going to a better school now but I know I only have two more semesters to work on my gpa.

Here's how my first two years look:

First semester - 3.3
Second semester - 3.06
Third semester - 3.56
Fourth semester - 3.3 something

working part time for the past year and a half. Have volunteer and shadowing hours from before I started college, I am going to start volunteering again soon. I am planning on volunteering outside of the country (third world) - don't know where yet. President of a club and I will do research in the next year.

I know I can do really well in the next two semesters. I don't have trouble with my academics but my first year was particularly bad due to family issues. Last semester was straight A's until I started stressing out and doing bad even though I knew the material.

Do I have a chance of getting in to an MD school in US?
What kind of schools should I be applying to? I just need a few names so I know where I stand

Members don't see this ad.

Any MCAT yet?
Is all your shadowing and volunteer experience from when you were in highschool?

Any MCAT yet?
Is all your shadowing and volunteer experience from when you were in highschool?
not yet. I will take the MCAT in the spring next year.

So far, yes. But I am starting now and I am sure I can get at least 300 hours before I submit my application

Members don't see this ad :)
not yet. I will take the MCAT in the spring next year.

So far, yes. But I am starting now and I am sure I can get at least 300 hours before I submit my application
Are you willing to push your app until after you finish undergrad? 2 full years of solid ECs and strong GPA would make you a much better applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you willing to push your app until after you finish undergrad? 2 full years of solid ECs and strong GPA would make you a much better applicant.

My chances don't look good otherwise?

I would still apply to schools and if it doesn't work out then I will take a year off. But I definitely want to try next year.

Personal thing, I hate when people say "third world" instead of developing nations.

Volunteering and shadowing before college mean nothing, don't include it.
So realistically, you're a rising Senior and you have:
1. Subpar GPA
2. No volunteering (clinical/nonclinical)
3. No Shadowing
4. No Research
5. No MCAT

It's not worth it for you to apply next year, because you most likely won't be where you need to be by next June. Take a gap year.

EDIT: You're saying you want to volunteer outside of the country (most likely so your app will look good) but adcoms already know about volunteer tourism. It won't mean anything or add to your app at all unless you spend at least a month in said nation.

Reactions: 5 users
Personal thing, I hate when people say "third world" instead of developing nations.

Volunteering and shadowing before college mean nothing, don't include it.
So realistically, you're a rising Senior and you have:
1. Subpar GPA
2. No volunteering (clinical/nonclinical)
3. No Shadowing
4. No Research
5. No MCAT

It's not worth it for you to apply next year, because you most likely won't be where you need to be by next June. Take a gap year.

EDIT: You're saying you want to volunteer outside of the country (most likely so your app will look good) but adcoms already know about volunteer tourism. It won't mean anything or add to your app at all unless you spend at least a month in said nation.

I am a rising junior. I have a year to do those things. I couldn't possibly take the MCAT yet I just finished my sophomore year.

I would still apply to schools and if it doesn't work out then I will take a year off. But I definitely want to try next year.
I really don't think you would be successful next year. I highly recommend that you take a gap year, but it's your life so it's ultimately up to you.

Best of luck.

I am a rising junior. I have a year to do those things. I couldn't possibly take the MCAT yet I just finished my sophomore year.
Then it's pointless for you to ask what type of schools you should be applying to. Nobody can tell you anything yet, you barely have any of what you need; more specifically, the MCAT (Which is super important)

Your current GPA as a sophomore is fine, you can raise it this year. Aim for straight A's.

Besides that, you can't really say anything except volunteer, research, gain leadership, do well on your MCAT

EDIT: But you almost definitely won't be ready by next year.

Adcoms will probably be suspicious of an applicant who has squeezed all volunteering, shadowing, and research experience into one year.

Adcoms will probably be suspicious of an applicant who has squeezed all volunteering, shadowing, and research experience into one year.

I had a good reason. I worked a lot because I needed money so I have a lot of nonclinical hours. It wasn't a choice. Do you think they will understand?

Also, I am continuing my hours at the same hospital from 2 years ago. if I am not wrong, they don't really have a way of finding out when exactly I did those hours, do they?

I had a good reason. I worked a lot because I needed money so I have a lot of nonclinical hours. It wasn't a choice. Do you think they will understand?

Also, I am continuing my hours at the same hospital from 2 years ago. if I am not wrong, they don't really have a way of finding out when exactly I did those hours, do they?
There is a section on AMCAS where you have to list when you did your ECs and you need to provide a contact for each EC you did.

There is a section on AMCAS where you have to list when you did your ECs and you need to provide a contact for each EC you did.

But it's only because I was working. I would think they'd understand unless they have something against people with financial constraints. If someone has to work to get by, is medical school not an option? Seems a bit unfair.

But it's only because I was working. I would think they'd understand unless they have something against people with financial constraints. If someone has to work to get by, is medical school not an option? Seems a bit unfair.
Adcoms will look at the entire application when you apply. I'm just saying they WILL know when you did what and for how long. I'm not saying it'll be used against you.

As someone who has had to do the same, I completely understand that work can take up a lot of one's time, especially with full-time status. That being said, did you have 3-4 hours a week you could set aside to volunteer, especially during the summer? A few hours a week to shadow? Doing a little at a time will add up in the long run. If not, as the above poster said, it won't necessarily be held against you. It could be useful if you'll be working a lot during your last two years.

Reactions: 1 users

Do more research on this process and see what kind of uphill battle you'll have as a second time applicant. This isn't the kind of thing you just try a few times - you need to carefully craft a plan of attack. No one here is telling you that you have no shot, but you need to listen to the advice here: apply when your application is strongest - meaning FAR more than 300 hours of clinical exposure/volunteer. That seems like you're checking the box (it sounds like you view it like that, too). That gives you more GPA boosting time and more MCAT studying time should you so desire.

Reactions: 1 users
As of right now, I think your chances are poor because you're GPA performance is very uneven. You're supposed to be acing things, not low B'sing them. It makes Adcoms worry that you wont' be able to handle a med school curriculum.

Come back in two years with an MCAT, AND a strong JR and SR year, and then we can advise you.

First semester - 3.3
Second semester - 3.06
Third semester - 3.56
Fourth semester - 3.3 something

working part time for the past year and a half. Have volunteer and shadowing hours from before I started college, I am going to start volunteering again soon. I am planning on volunteering outside of the country (third world) - don't know where yet. President of a club and I will do research in the next year.

I know I can do really well in the next two semesters. I don't have trouble with my academics but my first year was particularly bad due to family issues. Last semester was straight A's until I started stressing out and doing bad even though I knew the material.

Do I have a chance of getting in to an MD school in US?
What kind of schools should I be applying to? I just need a few names so I know where I stand[/QUOTE]