Worth going to my Touro interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm holding acceptances to TCOM and CCOM and wanted to ask people if you think it's worth attending my Touro CA interview? The thing is, I sort of want to end up practicing in Cali in the long run. However I really liked TCOM and CCOM and I'm already having a tough time deciding between the two. Is it worth checking out touro?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Save money and use it towards Christmas presents for your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you say you want to be in Cali "in the long run", do you mean at some point in your career? Or do you mean right out of medical school? If you mean right out of medical school, you should not only interview at Touro CA, but also attend there if you get accepted. If you mean later in your life/career, it doesn't really matter tbh.

I agree with Dr. Hopeful that at least interviewing at a school in the region in which you want to live is probably a good idea.

I'm holding acceptances to TCOM and CCOM and wanted to ask people if you think it's worth attending my Touro CA interview? The thing is, I sort of want to end up practicing in Cali in the long run. However I really liked TCOM and CCOM and I'm already having a tough time deciding between the two. Is it worth checking out touro?

TCOM as in Texas COM?

If you are in at Texas, then you know where you will be going. Why on *EARTH* would you pass that up, especially for Touro?

Reactions: 5 users
Because it is CALIFORNIA, enough said.

I am a student at Touro, and I can you tell that, 1) Not only is CA overrated but, 2) Tour is in a TERRIBLE location. Rest assured, if you attend Touro-CA, you will NOT be enjoying "California." Moreover, the third year rotations are spread out usually or are in different states.

Passing up a cheap school like TCOM for Touro (or any private DO school) would be the biggest mistake of the OPs life. California will always be there. TCOM is probably the best DO school considering its resources and cost.

OP: If you got into Texas-COM, GO THERE AND COUNT YOUR LUCKY STARS!

Reactions: 2 users
TCOM as in Texas COM?

If you are in at Texas, then you know where you will be going. Why on *EARTH* would you pass that up, especially for Touro?

Whoa I'm surprised to hear this from a Touro student! I'm not from Texas but yeah, if Touro will not give me a huge advantage of practicing in CA later in life, I'll probably just pass it up. The Bay Area just seemed like a really nice area lol.

I may even pick CCOM over TCOM though because Chicago = awesome

Edit - how come cost is so important? Isn't everyone able to pay off all the loans in a couple years with an attending's salary?

I am a student at Touro, and I can you tell that, 1) Not only is CA overrated but, 2) Tour is in a TERRIBLE location. Rest assured, if you attend Touro-CA, you will NOT be enjoying "California." Moreover, the third year rotations are spread out usually or are in different states.

Passing up a cheap school like TCOM for Touro (or any private DO school) would be the biggest mistake of the OPs life. California will always be there. TCOM is probably the best DO school considering its resources and cost.

Solid points and good insight.

Whoa I'm surprised to hear this from a Touro student! I'm not from Texas but yeah, if Touro will not give me a huge advantage of practicing in CA later in life, I'll probably just pass it up. The Bay Area just seemed like a really nice area lol.

Edit - how come cost is so important? Isn't everyone able to pay off all the loans in a couple years with an attending's salary?
I've been hearing a lot about cost recently here on SDN and, at the risk of exposing my naivety, I'd also like to know what more experienced people have to say in this case.

I've been hearing a lot about cost recently here on SDN and, at the risk of exposing my naivety, I'd also like to know what more experienced people have to say in this case.

Judging from my family member who just finished residency yea you can pay it off but its nice not to have to and use that money for other stuff. Maybe other more experienced people will chime in lol

What TCOM were you talking about?

Paying off loans in a couple of years? LOL. If you attend Touro, you will owe 500K+. You will NOT be paying that off in a few years.

How old are you?

Touro is not in the "Bay Area" (or at least not as you may think of it). It is in north bay in Vallejo, which is an awful, wretched place. Likewise, the rotations are in similarly crappy areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
What TCOM were you talking about?

Paying off loans in a couple of years? LOL. If you attend Touro, you will owe 500K+. You will NOT be paying that off in a few years.

How old are you?

Touro is not in the "Bay Area" (or at least not as you may think of it). It is in north bay in Vallejo, which is an awful, wretched place. Likewise, the rotations are in similarly crappy places.

I'm talking about the TCOM in Texas yeah. I'm 21. Hmm..so how many years would you say that you have to live like a resident on an attending's salary if you owe 500k of loans?

Edit - aren't you only like 20 mins from Berkley? That area is cool. How about the ocean? You're right next to it! And rotations wise, I heard you get to rotate at Arrowhead which is pretty amazing. But anyways, sounds like you don't really advocate Touro :(

Thanks for being honest though at least. It saved me a 300$ flight!

op is trolling

Reactions: 1 users
yes... clue 1: chicago is awesome, he wants to live in calif, and he got an oos acceptance from... tcom the most stingy school for oos applicants?
zero credibility.
guy is making up random stuff to stir up replies = troll

I'm talking about the TCOM in Texas yeah. I'm 21. Hmm..so how many years would you say that you have to live like a resident on an attending's salary if you owe 500k of loans?

Edit - aren't you only like 20 mins from Berkley? That area is cool. How about the ocean? You're right next to it! And rotations wise, I heard you get to rotate at Arrowhead which is pretty amazing. But anyways, sounds like you don't really advocate Touro :(

Thanks for being honest though at least. It saved me a 300$ flight!

I would take TCOM over ANY DO school. It is very high quality and CHEAP.
The "working in CA" hype is overplayed. Anyone can work in CA. If you are in a very niche field, like say Rad Onc or maybe Derm, where you train does matter to some degree (as far as making associations with practices in the area), but for most fields, it has zero impact on your future opportunities.

Touro is not near Berkeley or anything desirable. If you live in Berkeley (which some people do), then you will drive quite a distance and pay a toll everyday when you trek up to Vallejo. It's not practical, IMO. Moreover, you won't have time to do anything cool in Berkeley. The ocean will always be there. As for rotations: SOME people rotate at Arrowhead, but certainly not most. From what I understand, the assignment of rotation sites is based on your performance. So if you are a weaker student, you are less likely to get the better, more choice sites (like Arrowhead or Santa Rosa).

As for loans, that totally depends on your field. Most people coming out of Touro end up at low-tier primary care residencies.

Seriously, take TCOM and run with that. That is such a blessing, especially if you are OOS! I can't even believe you would consider passing that up.

I'm going to have to agree with the second portion. I've never been to the campus but growing up in the Bay Area, Vallejo and the surrounding areas don't exactly have the best reputation...
As for California being overrated... I would not want to call any other place home..

I would be blessed to go to TCOM if given the opportunity, so I would definitely go that route.

yes... clue 1: chicago is awesome, he wants to live in calif, and he got an oos acceptance from... tcom the most stingy school for oos applicants?
zero credibility.
guy is making up random stuff to stir up replies = troll

Okay. Let's clear some things up for you then. I have a 3.7 and a 32, not to toot my own horn. Very competitive for any DO school out there, even if it's TCOM.

I was born in Chicago, hence why I think it's awesome. And I've lived in Cali, hence why I want to go back. No ties to Texas. My life is awesome.

Er... you have not heard of compounding interest? You really really need to use the search feature. I'm serious here.

Okay. Let's clear some things up for you then. I have a 3.7 and a 32, not to toot my own horn. Very competitive for any DO school out there, even if it's TCOM.

I was born in Chicago, hence why I think it's awesome. And I've lived in Cali, hence why I want to go back. No ties to Texas. My life is awesome.

And those stats happened to be 3.6/31 a month ago.

You also made SGU vs DO thread

And DO vs Dentistry

And happened to be the only applicant not from Florida or nearby state who had a 2 week turnaround at Nova in September.

Trolling galore.

Reactions: 10 users

If those are your numbers, did you apply to MD programs?

If you attend ccom and have to pay for everything you will have over 400 grand in debt the day you graduate. That is insane.

^Not a chance.

Same for Touro and most private DO schools.

Same for Touro and most private DO schools.
How's that (genuinely asking, not trying to argue). The yearly COA for ccom right now is about 85K. That's 15-20K more a year than most other private schools and a 75-100K difference after 4 years.

Last edited:
And those stats happened to be 3.6/31 a month ago.

You also made SGU vs DO thread

And DO vs Dentistry

And happened to be the only applicant not from Florida or nearby state who had a 2 week turnaround at Nova in September.

Trolling galore.

SGU vs DO thread was a legitimate concern of mine. And it should be. No one should just jump on the DO bandwagon because a bunch of people on SDN say its "better than the Carib."

I got an interview for Nova in late October for a date one week later. I'm assuming a spot opened up. I received an acceptance a week after my interview. It was probably my strongest interview. And I do indeed come from a "nearby state." Hence my location under my avatar.

I have acceptances at 7 other DO schools man, I don't have time to explain all this crap to you. You can call me a troll if you want but honestly I just ask a lot of questions because I don't know a single pre med. I've learned a ****ton from this site. You can go back to whatever you do for a living now.

Last edited:
If you attend ccom and have to pay for everything you will have over 400 grand in debt the day you graduate. That is insane.

^Not a chance.

I mean if you have a combined income with a significant other (who let's say earns a good living), you can pay that debt in 4-5 years. Assuming you aren't a pcp. Obviously this is best case scenario but it really isn't all that horrible in the grand scheme of things

I mean if you have a combined income with a significant other (who let's say earns a good living), you can pay that debt in 4-5 years. Assuming you aren't a pcp. Obviously this is best case scenario but it really isn't all that horrible in the grand scheme of things

Most people graduating from Touro will be PCPs.

I am going to assume here that your SO will be around the same age as you. Most people who earn in a six digit range at a younger age will usually have a professional degree, such as dentistry, podiatry, law etc. You do realize that he/she will be paying off loans also. Not too many jobs pay a high salary during one's younger years. So this would still mean you are still mostly responsible for paying your own debts.

SGU vs DO thread was a legitimate concern of mine. And it should be. No one should just jump on the DO bandwagon because a bunch of people on SDN say its "better than the Carib."

I got an interview for Nova in late October for a date one week later. I'm assuming a spot opened up. I received an acceptance a week after my interview. It was probably my strongest interview. And I do indeed come from a "nearby state." Hence my location under my avatar.

I have acceptances at 7 other DO schools man, I don't have time to explain all this crap to you. You can call me a troll if you want but honestly I just ask a lot of questions because I don't know a single pre med. I've learned a ****ton from this site. You can go back to whatever you do for a living now.

and now it's 7 DO acceptances...

My bad on the nova thing. You went in the thread, saw people are anxious about not having heard a response and chose to lie about when you were complete and how fast you received an interview to agitate the people there.

brb made a thread in august about wanting to update nova, then posts in the nova thread saying you were complete in September and received an interview in under 14 days.

Last edited:
3.6/31 has grown to 3.7/32 since last month bc of compound interest lol.
zero credibility.

Reactions: 4 users
@orangeman25 Hey! I went to UC Berkeley and honestly, the place is awesome..but not as awesome as you might think. I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and it's a great place..don't get me wrong. However, Vallejo isn't the best location and you probably won't enjoy your time in that part of the bay. Like other people have mentioned, you can always practice in CA. You'll never be limited wherever you graduate from.

That being said, definitely go with your other choices! Good luck! :)

Touro-CA's campus was interesting. The run down buildings and rusty remains of some sort of military base were a little off putting. They could probably stand to do some renovations.

Last edited:
None of them are worth a damn. Go to dental school.

Vallejo is the ugly step child of the Bay Area, it's not really the bay. It's about 40+ minutes away from the city (San Francisco). Vallejo has a lot of crime and there's just really nothing going on around there.

7429989_orig.jpg