Worth putting a dent in my savings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maineman32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a summer program at a local pathology lab. It's 2 months and essentially full time, which is time that I otherwise would be working. I do have enough in my savings to support myself during this time, but I still have a cycle of med school apps/interviews to pay for.

It should be noted I really don't have strong ECs right now and am certainly more heavy on work experience, so I'm thinking it would be more advantageous to just go through with the program and round out my resume.

Anyone have any thoughts for me?

Ps. First time OP

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to a summer program at a local pathology lab. It's 2 months and essentially full time, which is time that I otherwise would be working. I do have enough in my savings to support myself during this time, but I still have a cycle of med school apps/interviews to pay for.

It should be noted I really don't have strong ECs right now and am certainly more heavy on work experience, so I'm thinking it would be more advantageous to just go through with the program and round out my resume.

Anyone have any thoughts for me?

Ps. First time OP

I'd say do it! (unless it will prevent you from being able to apply.)

If you can tighten your belt and do this lab, and also have enough money to apply to medical school, then it would be a great experience to have.

Not only will it look good on your application, it will give you some lab skills and let you see if you'd be interested in research during med school. Its also a great piece to talk about in an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you not being paid? If its full time for two months you should be getting paid, otherwise find a lab job that actually pays.

Another question: would this count as clinical exposure?

Another question: would this count as clinical exposure?

Hmmm, when I think of "clinical exposure" in the context of applying to DO schools, I think its more of a medical setting, than an academic/research setting. I think of doc offices, hospitals, ER's, etc...

So, its good experience, but whatever you call it, I think schools also like the patient contact style of clinical exposure.

If you are in a lab all day then it is not clinical exposure. You have to be seeing patients regularly up close and personal for it to qualify as clinical experience. I say find a part time job, volunteer at a hospital and keep your savings. Working for 2 months with no pay/living stipend is ridiculous.